Helpful ReplyCan't uninstall or reinstall sonar platinum

Author
Robert Penczak
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2018/11/07 07:47:15 (permalink)

Can't uninstall or reinstall sonar platinum

Hi - I had used Sonar Platinum without any problems over the past few weeks.
Connected a AKAI MPK mini controlled today - and didn't see it listed as a midi device inside sonar - 
may have switched some settings udner preferences (like from Windows drivers to ASIO) - not sure how I left those - 
but can't get Sonar Platinum to open now.
Tried with Admin privileges and holding shift key.

Eventaully followed threads and was trying to remove via Cakewalk Command Center - and get error messages denying access - 
such as 'Setup was unable to create the directory C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Sonar Platinum\Drum Maps'

I've tried right clicking on sonar to uninstall but the process doesn't complete successfully.
Right now completely stuck where I can neither load Sonar nor can In uninstall and reinstall the program. 
System uses Windows 10 Pro.  Would appreciate any help.

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Can't uninstall or reinstall sonar platinum 2018/11/07 16:27:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jimfogle 2018/11/07 18:16:40
Robert Penczak
Eventaully followed threads and was trying to remove via Cakewalk Command Center - and get error messages denying access - 
such as 'Setup was unable to create the directory C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Sonar Platinum\Drum Maps'

This is not be an error generated by the uninstall process. It might be thrown during install.

With no attempt an uninstall, a partial uninstall or complete uninstall, it should be possible to re-run the Platinum installers. Errors like the one mentioned are caused either by a hardware failure or software such as virus scanners. The Windows Event log may provide some clues. Try turning off virus scanning during install.

Here are the instructions for a clean install.

slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Can't uninstall or reinstall sonar platinum 2018/11/07 22:33:01 (permalink)
Unable to create a directory can also indicate an ownership/permissions issue. Typically the application has the same permissions as the user under whose account it is running. You can try to manually create that directory to see if it is possible as the logged on user. 
martins guit
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 241
Re: Can't uninstall or reinstall sonar platinum 2018/11/08 11:46:27 (permalink)
why dont you install Cake by banlab it's free..

apologize for my english

martin

CAKEWALK BY BANDLAB
windows 10 x64bit,i7-6700,12G-ram-DDR-4
roland-quad capture,tascam us122l,
NTK Rode mic,Apex 160 mic,JBL & JVC speakers
Steev
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 314
Re: Can't uninstall or reinstall sonar platinum 2018/11/08 13:40:48 (permalink)
I've had very similar problems. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AND ARE RUNNING THE LATEST FIRMWARE AND DRIVER PACKAGE FOR YOUR MIDI CONTROLLER!! 
MIDI controllers have nothing to do with Windows or ASIO audio drivers. Always use specified ASIO drivers supplied by manufacturer and for your audio interface.
  ALWAYS make sure your MIDI controller supports the DAW you are using before even buying it. If SONAR isn't specifically listed as a supported DAW, it could very well be like a coin toss.. And create problems exactly like you're experiencing now.
I highly recommend reading several user experience reviews related to the MIDI controller and what ever DAW you intend on using it with!

You should also be able to uninstall Splat by opening "Windows Control Panel" by clicking on "Programs and Features". First choose the "Repair" option in the "Uninstall" dialog box. This won't fix Splat, it just fixes the corrupted installer package needed to install and uninstall Splat. After "repairing" run the uninstaller again.
Then..
Once Splat is sucessfully uninstalled, you should be able to perform a fresh install from CCC which should already have the .exe installation files downloaded to the "Cakewalk Content" folder in Windows "Program Files" folder.
Or..
 If CCC is the problem you can log into your Cakewalk account by going into "Support" select "My Account" and download a fresh copy of CCC (the easy way, and not really recommended because it's no longer supported), or the hard way and go to My Products and download individual  fresh copies of Splat and all other related content (loops and groove clips) and software THAT YOU LIKE TO USE like all the added ProChannel modules, Adaptive Limiter, added synths, Dim Pro, Rapture, etc and so on and install it all manually.
 Be sure to SAVE copies and keep all these downloadable's in a safe places so you won't ever have to download them again.
Hints and fun facts.... Your C:\ system drive is not a save place. CDR, DVDR, USB SD cards and thumb drives, and storage drives are the safest places.

And YES! After you reinstall SONAR Platinum and make sure all your favorite bundled 3rd party plugins from XLN Audio, Bluetubes, and Melodyne, etc are all registered and up and running, as martins guit suggests (if you have a 64 bit version of Win 7 or 10) by all means I highly recommend upgrading to CAKEWALK BY BANDLAB! You should be very, very, very HAPPY YOU DID!
 You will need to leave Splat installed to have licensed functionality of 3rd party and extra/added plugins.
 The only noticeable differences between SONAR Platinum and Cakewalk by Bandlab are the "Orange Icon", "Start Screen", fixes, and updates.
I.E. It's the same DAW that it ever was that can be kept current and UP TO DATE VERSION via the "Bandlab Assistant" as opposed to CCC.
post edited by Steev - 2018/11/08 14:32:19

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1