Helpful ReplyCanadian Film wins again.

Author
Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
2017/05/23 12:57:47 (permalink)

Canadian Film wins again.

Last night the wife and I saw Bon Cop Bad Cop 2.  Possibly the best Canadian film in a decade.  And maybe the best movie I've seen in a few years.

It's a typical action-comedy cop film, but manages to keep a very "Canuck" feel to it.  The under-stated violence (not everyone has an M60 in the trunk of their car, they improvise), the Anglo/Franco/US conflicts, lots of "tabernac"...

If you get the chance, check it out.  I doubt it will be in theatres long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf0agAiXXmE

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: Canadian Film wins again. 2017/05/23 15:23:34 (permalink)
Hi,

Hmmm ... the Canadians do film?

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
Slugbaby
Re: Canadian Film wins again. 2017/05/23 15:31:41 (permalink)
We do a few, on occasion.
This one had so many Canadian-specific references, I kept wondering if a foreigner would understand 1/2 of it.

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
Moshkito
Re: Canadian Film wins again. 2017/05/23 15:36:30 (permalink)
Hi,

www.pedrosena.com
Music, Foreigh Film and DooDah!

Need I say more? Canada is fine, of course!

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
Slugbaby
Re: Canadian Film wins again. 2017/05/23 17:27:22 (permalink)
Moshkito
Hi,

www.pedrosena.com

Looks like that site gets updated more than mine (he's got copyright years added...).  GoDaddy called me to up-sell their services a couple of weeks ago, and we started laughing at how little attention I get.  

craigb
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Canadian Film wins again. 2017/05/23 19:08:24 (permalink)
Slugbaby
Moshkito
Hi,

www.pedrosena.com

Looks like that site gets updated more than mine (he's got copyright years added...).  GoDaddy called me to up-sell their services a couple of weeks ago, and we started laughing at how little attention I get.  

FYI - That's his personal website.  Pedro = Moshkito.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
Slugbaby
Re: Canadian Film wins again. 2017/05/23 20:30:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby craigb 2017/05/23 21:23:30
I thought so.
Weird site...

Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Canadian Film wins again. 2017/05/25 00:46:53 (permalink)
Moshkito
Hi,

craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Canadian Film wins again. 2017/05/25 08:54:59 (permalink)
*Pfft...*  Some of us live in Vancouver! 

(And we're still not in Canada!  )

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
Slugbaby
Re: Canadian Film wins again. 2017/05/25 12:22:43 (permalink)
Kamikaze
Moshkito
Hi,

Yup, it's the same in Toronto.
We have tons of construction going on every summer, and the film cameras almost blend in.  Until you see the NYPD police cars or fake NYC subway entrances on the sidewalk, that is.
I still watch those old Police Academy movies every once in a while, to see what Toronto looked like 30 years ago.

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Canadian Film wins again. 2017/05/25 16:42:50 (permalink)
This film is now available for streaming on Netflix.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Slugbaby
Re: Canadian Film wins again. 2017/05/25 17:21:09 (permalink)
bitflipper
This film is now available for streaming on Netflix.

That's the original, still a cool movie.  
The sequel builds strongly off it, i guess their credibility opened up more $$$, along with a decade more experience.
post edited by Slugbaby - 2017/05/25 18:32:09

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Canadian Film wins again. 2017/05/25 22:32:02 (permalink)
Ah, I missed the "2" in the OP.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Moshkito
Re: Canadian Film wins again. 2017/05/28 19:57:07 (permalink)
Slugbaby
Moshkito
Hi,

www.pedrosena.com

I update it regularly with new reviews. My reviews are being used, now in its fifth international film festival. The bigger issue now, is being able to get to the films, since I can not drive at night, and things like Netflix and DoodahPoop, and Youtubeless, think that "foreign" or "international" is not enjoyed in America. I like the "Japan" section ... 90% anime! Yeah ... that says a lot about the mentality for it all, and the appreciation for real film.

However, it doesn't help, when an area like this, sadly, has a tendency to trash it down, and not appreciate that there are different things out there. Reminds me of the Portland International Film Festival ... every year, the English, the American and the French films are sold out and no one else can see them. And there are 75 other films, from 50 other countries that no one will EVER see again, and they will just be forgotten and left behind ... just like a lot of music a few folks here and I know. 

I posted that online a few times, and the director of the festival pulled me over and requested that I soften that comment ... so I stopped saying it. And NEVER have been back to the festival since, and I used to do a lot of the film notes for many Portuguese, Spanish, Italian and French films!

The only things I can do these days, is keep up with the old major names in Film ... sadly, I am not a Hitchcock fan, and his films bore me senseless. To that end, I have been trying to fill up on the Bunuel's, Renoir's, Truffaut's (Americans still don't know him!), Fellini, Pasolini, Herzog, Bergman, Lean, Schlesinger and many others ... 

Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: Canadian Film wins again. 2017/05/28 20:08:29 (permalink)
Shame on me - I've not even seen it yet, not even the first one. I definitely have to put them both on the watchlist.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Canadian Film wins again. 2017/05/28 20:14:03 (permalink)
Moshkito

The bigger issue now, is being able to get to the films, since I can not drive at night, and things like Netflix and DoodahPoop, and Youtubeless, think that "foreign" or "international" is not enjoyed in America.

Netflix has hundreds of international movies listed.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Slugbaby
Re: Canadian Film wins again. 2017/05/29 12:51:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rain 2017/05/29 17:33:51
Rain
Shame on me - I've not even seen it yet, not even the first one. I definitely have to put them both on the watchlist.

Rain,
You're one of the people I thought of when I wrote this.  Remembering Montreal in the early 90s with the English/French divide and referendum to secede from Canada.  These movies really play on that division and mistrust.

Moshkito
Re: Canadian Film wins again. 2017/05/30 04:04:20 (permalink)
Hi,

A couple of Canadian Directors, I have enjoyed ... 

Jean-Jacques Annaud
- The Name of the Rose
- The Lover
- Seven Years in Tibet

Atom Egoyan
- The Adjuster
- Exotica
- The Sweet Hereafter

Denis Arcand
- Jesus of Montreal
- Love and Human Remains
- The Barbarian Invasions

Annaud is probably the better known of these, and his work has spread some more than the others with some connections to Hollywood. Egoyan is an acquired taste as his films are (sometimes) a bit on the strange side, but watch'able. Arcand, is probably the best of them by the guts in the stuff he does. "Jesus of Montreal" is an amazing film, and "Invasions" ... is ... out there and crazy!

Slugbaby
Re: Canadian Film wins again. 2017/05/30 13:12:07 (permalink)
Moshkito

Annaud is probably the better known of these, and his work has spread some more than the others with some connections to Hollywood. Egoyan is an acquired taste as his films are (sometimes) a bit on the strange side, but watch'able. Arcand, is probably the best of them by the guts in the stuff he does. "Jesus of Montreal" is an amazing film, and "Invasions" ... is ... out there and crazy!

Agreed.  
For either Egoyan or Arcand, i have to be in a "certain mindset" to enjoy them.
I didn't realize Annaud was Canadian.  Interesting (to me).

I don't normally pay attention to the nationality of a film.  But BCBC was just SO CANADIAN, and that was integral to the story, that it was unusually relevant.

Moshkito
Re: Canadian Film wins again. 2017/05/30 14:21:41 (permalink)
Slugbaby
I don't normally pay attention to the nationality of a film.  But BCBC was just SO CANADIAN, and that was integral to the story, that it was unusually relevant.

In a Film Festival, the nationality is the hardest thing to bypass and miss. As an example, a few years back, an Iranian film was making the rounds ... "Divorce Iranian Style" ... and of course, the audience was next to nill, and it was an incredible piece of work, that showed a lot more about the men and women, than just a divorce and what not ... it was not exactly a film per se, but sort of a news story following through things, and the revelations were insane, to you and I, the Western minds!

Likewise, one film that has helped me a lot was "The Island on Bird Street", which was kinda buried as a "child film" since it dealt mainly with the survival of a kid and his friendship with a mouse ... and in the end, it was not about the mouse ... it was a bout survival in WW2 ... right in the middle of it. And it was a heck of a film, but I was the only reviewer that saw the film for what it was ... instead of a silly story for kids, which (in this case) it really wasn't!

There are other films that I have had a lot of appreciation for ... Pedro Olea's The Fencing Master (where the fudge is a subtitled English version of that?) is the best fencing film EVER done, and makes the Hollywood guys look like mannequins! Carlos Saura's Carmen, is an updated version of the story, this time, the new dance against the old dance ... and it is fiery and off its rocker ... "you dance with your eyes, not your ass!" ... is a line that really busts out all over this film! And the camera? Yeah! All over! Saura's no stranger to dance in his films, having done many of them by this time including a trilogy by Lorca (including Blood Wedding) and later he did "Tango" and other dance films, that are also hypnotic in their own way. For me, though "Carmen" stands out, because in many ways it is the perfect view/idea of the changes in the arts in the past many years! The Dutch family of films are weird and mostly handheld, but they have a nice individual touch, and usually totally off the wall stories. The French, as usual, have their "I don't give a damn" humor all over some of these, and on occasion an Epic film full of costumes and such. "All the Mornings of the World" was sold out here and needed some more showings to appease the folks at the Festival.

The other one that is big here, is Pedro Almodovar, though I think he has fallen to really trivial, and unable to put together a story that is not only fun to do, but also crazy. For me, "Talk to Her" is his last good film, but nothing like the previous 4 or 5 before, with "High Heels" taking the cake as the most fun film in that whole listing.

Other than that, I have been trying to have the Film Center here do a retrospective of Luis Bunuel, with his really early stuff also shown ... a lot of which is not even available on the market, except in cheap Mexican DVD's with nothing in them, and not even subtitles! Another film maker whose early stuff is fun to watch is Jean-Luc Godard, because he breaks every single anything in film history intentionally and makes fun of it on top of it! This, of course, throws people off really bad, since most viewers are so stuck on "entertainment" and "action" that seeing something like this, takes away their enjoyment of the film. 

Orson Welles, would be a great one to do a retro on ... just for a chance to see "Chimes at Midnight" again, would be worth it all for me. But very few people know much about him, except "Citizen Kane" which is a great film, but hardly his best!

Yay for Film Festivals ... I can actually see a Canadian Film!

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1