Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
metz
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 602
2009/03/18 06:56:25 (permalink)

Cant record using Delta 66

Hey!

Slightly off topic this one I guess but I don't know where else to turn to.

I recently reinstalled my computer since I had to change motherboard to a Asus P5Q-E. After this I can't record in Sonar 8 PE from INPUT 1 and 2 on the front of my Omni I/O add on to the Delta 66. I've tried using both Asio and WDM but still no luck. But there are som odd stuff here. For example, if I run the guitar tuning program AP-tuner and select Windows recordning control I get the following message:
There is a problem with your sound hardware. To install mixer devices, go to control panel, click printers and other hardware and then click add new hardware. And when I go to M-audios control panel and go to the "input" tab I get three inputs there. 1/2 in 3/4 in and spdif in. I cant do anything on this page except changing to +4db, con or -10db. Shouldn't there be other options as well?
I've tried to reinstall the driver of course.
Another weird thing is if I go to Sonars Audio Options and go to the drivers tab. The following are listed.

Delta 66 1/2
Delta 66 3/4
Delta 66 Monitor
Delta 66 Multi 1/2
Delta 66 Multi 3/4
Delta 66 Multi 5/6
Delta 66 Multi 7/8
Delta 66 SPDIF

Is this correct? Or are the Delta 66 1/2 and 3/4 some sort of duplicates with Delta 66 Multi 1/2 and 3/4?

I run Windows XP SP3
Sonar 8.02 PE
4GB Ram (not really under XP I guess)
Intel E8600 3,3Ghz
The latest M-audio Delta 66 driver I found on their website.

On the M-audio control panel I have turned up the volume to the max for the 1/2 input wich I'm currently trying to record from. And when a device to the 1/2 input the "signal"-lamp flashes when speaking in the microphone or playing the guitar so the Omni I/O is getting the signal. All other cables are connected as well. The soundcard works great when playing back audio. It's just when recording that I'm having problems.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm running out of them...

Many, many thanks in advance!
/M

30 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/18 09:21:18 (permalink)
    Another weird thing is if I go to Sonars Audio Options and go to the drivers tab. The following are listed.

Delta 66 1/2
    Delta 66 3/4
    Delta 66 Monitor
    Delta 66 Multi 1/2
    Delta 66 Multi 3/4
    Delta 66 Multi 5/6
    Delta 66 Multi 7/8
    Delta 66 SPDIF

Yes, its normal. Check them all. Input and output drivers. Then maybe it will work
    Try ASIO mode first and make sure your delta is listed as the reocridng and playback timing master.
    Chj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    metz
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/18 10:40:18 (permalink)
    Hey!

Thanks for the reply!

I've tried both Asio and Wdm but it's the same thing... All drivers are checked (except SPDIF but no different if selecting it)
    Playback and Timing Master is Delta 66 1/2 on both of them.

I seem to have the same problem in every program I try recording from. It's not just Sonar. Something is wrong!

Thanks again for taking your time!

/M
    metz
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/18 10:43:25 (permalink)
    BTW, if I enter Sound and Audio Devices Properties in Control Panel. Sound playback is set to Delta 66 Multi and recording to Delta 66 1/2 (I might have changed that one, I think it said Delta 66 Multi from the beginning...) Using this control panel I'm able to set the volume for Sound playback but not for Sound recording. The Volume and advanced buttons are greyed out. Seems weird, huh?

I have no conflicts in device manager.

/M
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/18 11:04:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: metz

BTW, if I enter Sound and Audio Devices Properties in Control Panel. Sound playback is set to Delta 66 Multi and recording to Delta 66 1/2 (I might have changed that one, I think it said Delta 66 Multi from the beginning...) Using this control panel I'm able to set the volume for Sound playback but not for Sound recording. The Volume and advanced buttons are greyed out. Seems weird, huh?

I have no conflicts in device manager.

/M

There is your problem. Don't set the Delta as the Windows sound device. Use the computers built in card for that as a "decoy" so Windows doesn't try to use the Delta.

Sonar does NOT use any of those settings in Windows control panel. It uses the drivers directly and you select that inside Sonar options / audio.
    metz
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/18 11:13:13 (permalink)
    Hey!

I don't use the integrated audiodevice on the motherboard. I've disabled it and that's the way I've been doing it for years but now it's not working. I don't think this is the problem. Or did I misunderstand you?

Thanks for the reply, every reply gives me hope! ;-)

/M
    metz
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/18 11:20:07 (permalink)
    Some more information for you who tries to help me.

In devicemanager under sound, video and game controllers I have the following listed

Audio Codecs
    EDIROL PCR
    Legacy Audio Drivers
    Legacy Video Capture Devices
    M-Audio Delta 66
    Media Control Devices
    Video Codecs

If I right click on Delta 66 and select properties and the properties tab I have the following
    Audio Device
    M-Audio Delta
    MIDI Devices and Instruments
    M-Audio-Delta
    Mixer Devices
    M-Audio Delta

Is something missing??

/M
    metz
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/18 12:30:37 (permalink)
    Even more info:

If I go to Accessories / Entertainment / Volume Control and select properties from the Optionsmenu and tick "recording" I have nothing to choose from. The Show the following volume controls are totally empty. Mixer device is set to Delta 66 Multi.

When uninstalling the delta-66 by using the driver-installation package the tray-icon and application seem to be left installed. Is this correct?

/M
    metz
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/18 14:32:09 (permalink)
    I just changed PCI-slot. Same problem.. :( I'm starting to give up here. Noone recognize the problem?

/M
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/18 14:54:56 (permalink)
    M - I have the Delta 44 which is the same card except for the SPDIF - it uses the same drivers as well.

I'll disagree with frank about using the Delta in windows as the default soundcard - I do that same thing and don't have any problems. I've done that on 3 machines now. I disable the onboard soundcard either in windows or in the bios (if availalbe) and have no problems using the Delta 44 as my only soundcard.

I also have WinXP SP3, 4G (really 3) DDR2 RAM but I'm running a slower processor than you - Q6600.

I'm not quite understanding your problem, however. you say in post #3 that you're having problem recording in every program you try, but in your original post you're talking about an error message that comes up when you try to run a "guitar tuning program" and running the "windows recording" program. what does the guitar tuning program have to do with it - I don't understand what you're doing there?

ok - but if you're having problems recording using ANY program, then it's not set up correctly in the sounds and audio devices or there's a problem with the driver not working correctly in windows one.

I am at work right now and I have something to do right after work tonite, but I might be able to set you up some screen shots of my set up sometime tonite or tomorrow for windows and for sonar that might give you some clues where the problem is. just give me a little time to get to it. If I don't post something here again by tomorrow night, shoot me a PM or email and remind me.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    ohhey
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/18 15:05:48 (permalink)

Hey!

I don't use the integrated audiodevice on the motherboard. I've disabled it and that's the way I've been doing it for years but now it's not working. I don't think this is the problem. Or did I misunderstand you?

Thanks for the reply, every reply gives me hope! ;-)

/M

Yes I think you are misunderstanding. My point is that the settings in Windows (Device Manager, Control Panel, Sounds..) are NOT what Sonar uses. Programs like iTunes use those settings but Sonar does not even try to go looking for them. You have to tell Sonar exactly what drvier you want to use.

The problem comes in when Windows is also set to use that same driver. For example if Windows tries to make some sound those are 22k sample rate. That will cause the card to try to autoswitch sample rates and cause a glitch. So at least make sure Windows sounds are set to "no sounds". But other applications might try to use the Windows default sound device or lock the driver and that can cause problems also. That's why I suggest you NOT use the same card for Windows that you use for Sonar. It's OK to have more then one card active so you don't have to disable the built in sound card. In fact it makes a great decoy for Windows so it doesn't try to use your Delta. The Delta my not even be able to do some of the sample rates for Windows sounds or Web sounds so it's best to use the built in card for that.
    metz
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/18 15:07:22 (permalink)
    Hey!

Thanks for the reply!

The reason I mentioned the guitar tuning program is because it takes the signal from a selected input of the soundcard and allows you to tune your guitar by pluggin' it in. But for some reason it doesnt work. It has always worked before on my previous computer.

I have been trying to get this working all day and I really dont have a clue to what to do now. I've uninstalled the driver, reinstalled it, changed PCI slot, tried ASIO, WDM etc...

Something I really would like you to check for me is to go to the start menu/entertainment and start volume control. Enter the menu and select properties and select record and see what's listed. Do you have anything there? For me it's totally blank.

I would very much appreciate those screenshots. But I'm starting to wonder if this card has problems with my new motherboard. I cant se any conflicts in the devicemanager. It sits on IRQ 17 wich isn't shared with any other device (although I know all IRQ's over 16 are virtual so I guess they are shared in some way). Or could the card be damaged? The signal clearly gets delivered to the omni i/o since the lamp flashes on it when I give it signal. But I have no idea if it reaches the actual soundcard.

Many thanks in advance! I look forward hearing from you again!

/M
    metz
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/18 15:14:14 (permalink)

Yes I think you are misunderstanding. My point is that the settings in Windows (Device Manager, Control Panel, Sounds..) are NOT what Sonar uses. Programs like iTunes use those settings but Sonar does not even try to go looking for them. You have to tell Sonar exactly what drvier you want to use.

The problem comes in when Windows is also set to use that same driver. For example if Windows tries to make some sound those are 22k sample rate. That will cause the card to try to autoswitch sample rates and cause a glitch. So at least make sure Windows sounds are set to "no sounds". But other applications might try to use the Windows default sound device or lock the driver and that can cause problems also. That's why I suggest you NOT use the same card for Windows that you use for Sonar. It's OK to have more then one card active so you don't have to disable the built in sound card. In fact it makes a great decoy for Windows so it doesn't try to use your Delta. The Delta my not even be able to do some of the sample rates for Windows sounds or Web sounds so it's best to use the built in card for that.
    comes in when Windows is also set to use that same driver. For example if Windows tries to make some sound those are 22k sample rate. That will cause the card to try to autoswitch sample rates and cause a glitch. So at least make sure Windows sounds are set to "no sounds". But other applications might try to use the Windows default sound device or lock the driver and that can cause problems also. That's why I suggest you NOT use the same card for Windows that you use for Sonar. It's OK to have more then one card active so you don't have to disable the built in sound card. In fact it makes a great decoy for Windows so it doesn't try to use your Delta. The Delta my not even be able to do some of the sample rates for Windows sounds or Web sounds so it's best to use the built in card for that.

Hi again!

Ah, I understand you now, but I'm pretty sure it's not my problem. I always have my computers sounds set to the "no sound" soundsceme. Thanks anyway for your reply!! Much appriciated! I'm starting to give up here... :-( I'll concider activating my internal sounddevice in the future. THanks!

/M
    ohhey
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/18 15:16:38 (permalink)

Hey!

Thanks for the reply!

The reason I mentioned the guitar tuning program is because it takes the signal from a selected input of the soundcard and allows you to tune your guitar by pluggin' it in. But for some reason it doesnt work. It has always worked before on my previous computer.

I have been trying to get this working all day and I really dont have a clue to what to do now. I've uninstalled the driver, reinstalled it, changed PCI slot, tried ASIO, WDM etc...

Something I really would like you to check for me is to go to the start menu/entertainment and start volume control. Enter the menu and select properties and select record and see what's listed. Do you have anything there? For me it's totally blank.

I would very much appreciate those screenshots. But I'm starting to wonder if this card has problems with my new motherboard. I cant se any conflicts in the devicemanager. It sits on IRQ 17 wich isn't shared with any other device (although I know all IRQ's over 16 are virtual so I guess they are shared in some way). Or could the card be damaged? The signal clearly gets delivered to the omni i/o since the lamp flashes on it when I give it signal. But I have no idea if it reaches the actual soundcard.

Many thanks in advance! I look forward hearing from you again!

/M

Some guitar tuner plugins only work at one sample rate. Are you working at 44.1 ? See if that helps.

The volume control in Windows and the little speaker in the system tray is for adjusting the Windows sound deivce. It works when you have the built in sound card selected and will bring up some generic software mixer when you double click on the little speaker in the system tray.

When you have a Delta card you don't use that. When you install the Delta driver it also installs a special control panel and software mixer just for the Delta card. In the system tray at the bottom right of your screen you should have an icon for it. Best I remember it's a blue triangle ??? I think ? That's the one you use to adjust the settings for the Delta card like clock source, input levels, output levels, monitoring patches, etc.
    metz
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/18 15:31:23 (permalink)
    Hey again!

Thanks for taking time helping me with this! I know I should use the Deltas tray application (it''s red btw). I just started the windows volume control to see if I can se any inputs there or anything of use. And when I select the record option in it nothing is there. Nothing gets listed. I find that very weird.

The AP-tuner program can operate at different rates. There's no problem there BUT it's like the computer can't find the hardware to use for recording. It finds the inputs sure but when it comes to recording it's like the m-audio delta 66 isn't installed. But it works perfectly for playback. Arrrgh, I'm tearing my hair over here!!! And again, thanks!

/M
    ohhey
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/18 15:37:17 (permalink)

Hey again!

Thanks for taking time helping me with this! I know I should use the Deltas tray application (it''s red btw). I just started the windows volume control to see if I can se any inputs there or anything of use. And when I select the record option in it nothing is there. Nothing gets listed. I find that very weird.

The AP-tuner program can operate at different rates. There's no problem there BUT it's like the computer can't find the hardware to use for recording. It finds the inputs sure but when it comes to recording it's like the m-audio delta 66 isn't installed. But it works perfectly for playback. Arrrgh, I'm tearing my hair over here!!! And again, thanks!

/M

Well.. you might need to re-install the driver for the Delta. Also, run msconfig and check the startup tab. See if you see anything in there that starts when Windows starts that might be taking over the Windows default sound device. I think iTunes has some little something it puts in there. If you do uncheck it and restart Windows.
    metz
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/18 17:04:06 (permalink)
    I found another guy having the exact same problem on the M-audio forums. He posted his problem today just like me. Coincidence?! Could it be some patch from Microsoft that we've gotten through windows update that's messing with our setup?

/M
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/18 17:40:59 (permalink)
    found another guy having the exact same problem on the M-audio forums. He posted his problem today just like me. Coincidence?

Yes. Thousands of people use your card.
    Anyways forget about defining the card in windows for now and gwet it set up in sonar.
    Uninstal and reinstalkl your drivers and then profile/ define it in sonar like this
    M-Audio Audio Interface setup for Cakewalk software

Click Options | Audio | Advanced. Set your Driver Mode to ASIO. If you do not see Driver Mode, make sure the box next to “Always use mme interface” is NOT checked. Click OK and restart the program.

Next, Click Options | Audio:

On the Drivers tab:

Make sure your M-Audio card is selected under both inputs and outputs. If it appears grayed out, deselect all drivers, in both inputs and outputs, then select your M-Audio card. If changes are made, click OK and restart the program.

NOTE: M-Audio also provides very reliable WDM drivers. If you experience problems in ASIO Driver Mode, you may want to consider using WDM as an alternative.

On the general tab:

Make sure one of your M-Audio card drivers is selected as Playback Timing master. Click OK. Restart the program if prompted.

Finally, all audio playback will occur from the M-Audio device itself. Make sure you have your speakers or headphones connected to its outputs.

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    metz
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/18 18:18:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic
    Yes. Thousands of people use your card.
    Anyways forget about defining the card in windows for now and gwet it set up in sonar.
    Uninstal and reinstalkl your drivers and then profile/ define it in sonar like this
    M-Audio Audio Interface setup for Cakewalk software

Click Options | Audio | Advanced. Set your Driver Mode to ASIO. If you do not see Driver Mode, make sure the box next to “Always use mme interface” is NOT checked. Click OK and restart the program.

Next, Click Options | Audio:

On the Drivers tab:

Make sure your M-Audio card is selected under both inputs and outputs. If it appears grayed out, deselect all drivers, in both inputs and outputs, then select your M-Audio card. If changes are made, click OK and restart the program.

NOTE: M-Audio also provides very reliable WDM drivers. If you experience problems in ASIO Driver Mode, you may want to consider using WDM as an alternative.

On the general tab:

Make sure one of your M-Audio card drivers is selected as Playback Timing master. Click OK. Restart the program if prompted.

Finally, all audio playback will occur from the M-Audio device itself. Make sure you have your speakers or headphones connected to its outputs.

Hey!

Everything is configured like you describe. I more and more suspect that something has gone wrong during installation. The guy who has the exact same problem as I have also had reinstalled XP a couple of days ago. Thanks a lot for your reply!

/M
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/18 18:26:27 (permalink)
    did you do a clean uninstal and reinstal o the sound card drivers before doing the above
    Cj

Audio Blog
    Beagle
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/18 22:42:15 (permalink)
    metz
    here are the settings in windows control panel - sound and audio devices:

notice that the one with VOLUME is the same one as it is when you go thru the START>ACCESSORIES>ENTERTAINMENT - they go to the same settings - either way.

if all of your windows settings look like those, then I would say you may have a problem with the I/O box or the cable between the card and the I/O box or the card itself possibly. make sure the cable connection is secure on both ends.

metz
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/19 06:38:52 (permalink)
    Hey man!

I had the same settings here except that the card was set to Delta 66 Multi instead of Delta 66 1/2 but I had already tried that and get no difference. :(

Thanks a LOT for all your effort in helping me with this! I'm very, very thankful for it all!

I'm going to disconnect my drives and connect an old one and reinstall Xp just to see if I still have the problem. If I do then I guess it's like you say. :-( Thanks again!

/M
    metz
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/19 06:40:01 (permalink)
    BTW, could I ask you to do a couple of screendumps on your Delta control panel as well? If it's not to much trouble that is. If it is, no worries.

/M
    Beagle
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/19 09:26:19 (permalink)
    yeah, I can do that, but not until tonite!

metz
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/19 09:31:41 (permalink)
    Hey guys!

I took an old harddrive and totally reinstalled XP. Two times actually. I had one XP SP3 and one with SP2. After installation the only thing I installed was the chipsetdrivers for the motherboard and Delta 66 drivers. SAME THING!!! I guess it looks more and more like I have blown the inputs of my Delta card.. :-(

Beagle, I still would like those screendumps tonight. But yes, I think I'm f*cked...

/M
    Beagle
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/20 09:18:19 (permalink)

metz
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/23 08:23:05 (permalink)
    Hey again!

Thanks for the pics. Everything is just like it is at my place. I must have blown my inputs. :(

/M
    Beagle
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/23 08:50:50 (permalink)
    I wouldn't rule out the connector or the breakout box, but either way you can send it to m-audio for repair. I don't remember their repair rates, but I think they're posted on the website. I sent a 1010Lt in for repair one time and even tho they say there's a minimum repair charge, they didn't charge me that - sent it back without cost to me.

metz
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/23 09:57:35 (permalink)
    Oh! I didn't even think of that!! Thanks a lot mate! I will check it out right away!

/M
    Billy Buck
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2101
    RE: Cant record using Delta 66 2009/03/23 10:25:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Beagle
    I sent a 1010Lt in for repair one time and even tho they say there's a minimum repair charge, they didn't charge me that - sent it back without cost to me.

That is good to know about M-Audio's repair policies. I've had my Delta 66/OMIN I/O bundle since 2000 and it is still working as good as the day I bought it. As long as M-Audio keeps improving their drivers and updating them to be compatible with the latest OS's, I have no reason to ever spend money on another audio card.
    I even have the latest drivers working great @ 64 samples in the Win 7 beta that I have been testing recently.

Looking back, I would have to say that getting the Delta 66/OMNO I/O combo 9 years ago has ended up being one of the best audio related hardware purchases I've ever made.

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1