Can't seem to copy & paste automation envelope. Most vexing.

Author
kvr_fandango
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 174
2007/01/22 18:12:56 (permalink)

Can't seem to copy & paste automation envelope. Most vexing.

Apologies for the terrible diagram, but I'm hoping it will help shed some light on a rather vexing problem I'm having.

I'm trying to copy the automation envelopes on the left and paste an identical set of nodes further along the timeline on the same track.

At first, I thought all I would have to do is select the folder track (either clicking on the folder clip or on the track header itself) and CTRL+DRAG (or Copy & Paste) the selected block further along.

However, the only thing duplicated was the MIDI data.

So I tried selecting the nodes directly with the MIDI Envelope selection tool. Copy (gives me a valid tick-box for Track Automation) seems to work fine. However, when I Paste further down the timeline, I get... nothing. Nothing at all...

I've read the "Copying and Pasting Envelopes" section to the last detail, but I'm completely lost as to why this isn't working. To quote the old man in the Malibu advert... "I just want a melon..."

10 Replies Related Threads

markmann
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 253
    RE: Can't seem to copy & paste automation envelope. Most vexing. 2007/01/22 21:00:44 (permalink)
    I think you have to click "advanced" in the paste menu when you paste and then the paste menu opens out and allows you to click a button for pasting envelopes. HTH

Sonar 6.2, Athlon 4400x2, 4 UAD cards, Benchmark D/A, MOTU Traveler, Apogee Mini-me clock, Kontackt, MMV, ColorTone, HydraTone, Amplitube 2, Digital Performer, G5
    dreamkeeper
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2141
    RE: Can't seem to copy & paste automation envelope. Most vexing. 2007/01/22 23:32:23 (permalink)
    There's a little arrow to the right of the select tool button. Click it and make sure that "Select Track Envelopes with Selected Clips" is checked. Should work then with CTRL+DRAG too.

Oh, and welcome to the forum

werner
    kvr_fandango
    RE: Can't seem to copy & paste automation envelope. Most vexing. 2007/01/23 03:40:11 (permalink)
    Thanks for the help guys, but sadly I'm still having the same problem.

markmann: In the copy section, when I click the clip, the folder, or even the audio track itself, "Track Automation" is greyed out for some reason. In the "advanced" paste section, it is also greyed out. The only way I can copy it is by using the Envelope selection tool, and then it appears in the Copy section as a valid tick box. Pasting it, the "Advanced" section has Track Automation ticked, but greyed out (which makes me suspicious).

dreamkeeper: Hiya. I have that option selected in both the Selection Tool drop-down, and the EDIT->Select menu. (oh, and cheers for the welcome! )

I'm wondering if, because it's Synth Rack automation, it's not 'connected' to the MIDI clips in any way and has to be treated as seperate envelopes in their own right.

Either that, or a bug, perhaps?
    Twigman
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3667
    RE: Can't seem to copy & paste automation envelope. Most vexing. 2007/01/23 04:54:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kvr_fandango

I'm wondering if, because it's Synth Rack automation, it's not 'connected' to the MIDI clips in any way and has to be treated as seperate envelopes in their own right.

Either that, or a bug, perhaps?

I found this problem too but overcame it by identifying the CC# to perform the same task on the MIDI clip and drawing the envelope on the MIDI track instead.

Become a Fan on Facebook
    Buy our stuff on iTunes
    Q9550-P5QL-E-8GB1066RAM-GT9800 1GB-RME HDSP9632-W7Prox64-X2x64
    kvr_fandango
    RE: Can't seem to copy & paste automation envelope. Most vexing. 2007/01/23 05:05:56 (permalink)
    Twigman: Thanks! I just found a similar posting:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=870104

tg wrote:
    I made further experiments with MIDI clips with track envelopes... If I draw an envelope they are selected with the clips and can be copy/pasted. If I record an envelope using synth rack controls they are shown on the clips as track envelopes but they can't be selected with the MIDI clips anymore... This looks like a Sonar 6 bug to me.

which seems to point to a problem with Audio Track based automation. I think there's also an option to show automation envelopes on the MIDI clip track so I might try that at first to 'trick' Sonar. Otherwise, I can connect a CC# to a parameter via the Remote Control and do it that way.

I'll report on how it goes, cheers!
    post edited by kvr_fandango - 2007/01/23 05:36:48
    kvr_fandango
    RE: Can't seem to copy & paste automation envelope. Most vexing. 2007/01/25 05:22:45 (permalink)
    Just a quick bump to say that I've had a reply from Cakewalk technical support who are aware of this issue.

They are looking into various issues with envelope automation and are hoping to address the problem at some point.

Hopefully anyone searching the forums in future for a similar problem will be able to read this.
    post edited by kvr_fandango - 2007/01/25 05:42:50
    PC1211
    • Total Posts : 167
    RE: Can't seem to copy & paste automation envelope. Most vexing. 2007/01/25 05:40:52 (permalink)
    Hi kvr,

I'm still using Sonar 5.2 but I remember having a "similar" problem with manipulating (or even creating) midi envelopes on midi tracks that were driving softsynths. The workaround for me was to temporarily re-assign the midi track to an unused midi port, manipulate the envelope as necessary, and then re-assign the midi track to the softsynth.

Don't know if this would help your copy/paste problem but it might be worth a try.
    stoutlyric
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: Can't seem to copy & paste automation envelope. Most vexing. 2007/02/02 19:01:07 (permalink)
    I have the same problem to, but got around it by creating an envelope on the midi track for the VST instead of the audio track. Then copying the envelopes works fine.

Very Frustrating though. I hate having to stop my workflow of making music to figure out these issues of why soanr is not working the way it should. You should be able to copy any envelopes that you want.
    dreamkeeper
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2141
    RE: Can't seem to copy & paste automation envelope. Most vexing. 2007/02/02 20:18:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: stoutlyric

I have the same problem to, but got around it by creating an envelope on the midi track for the VST instead of the audio track. Then copying the envelopes works fine.

Nope, not here. Doesn't matter on which track I record the automation, it simply cannot be copied at all or dragged together with the clip. Sometimes I get the option for track/bus automation in the copy dialog, but then there's nothing to paste. With track parameter automation it sometimes works, sometimes not - very strange.

werner

"... must've been another of my dreams ..."
    Destructo
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Can't seem to copy & paste automation envelope. Most vexing. 2007/02/17 07:30:19 (permalink)
    I've actually been having the same problem. I wrote to cake about it but got no reply. Glad to hear they at least said it's a known issue. It's sort of a really annoying problem for me because I'm using the VC plugin that comes with the Access Virus Ti. Not a complete show stopper, but really unpleasant to work around. I'm surprised more people aren't noticing/complaining about this one. Maybe most people draw in envelopes rather than record them?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1