Helpful ReplyCan't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Truman1234
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20
2017/04/11 00:05:34 (permalink)

Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio

I'm very frustrated with this program.  Anyone know how I can get a refund?
NotASpeckOfCereal
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 00:51:09 (permalink)
I don't work for Cakewalk, but my advice would be to go to their main site (not this user forum) and ask in some of the sales links / channels. Certainly there's little that we here can do for you unless we have experience returning Sonar product (in which case we're not likely to be here in the forum).

If you find that there just is no refund love for you after contacting Cakewalk, you can come back here and tell us a what kind of problems you're having with a few more specifics and maybe we can help you get over some hurdles. Sometimes it's just the concept that you need to wrap your brain around. Also let us know if you have expectations from having worked in another DAW in the past -- I've heard it said that it can be difficult to switch from one to another because of fundamental design differences.

Short of that, take some time to go through the tutorials and documentation. Even though I've used Cakewalk products for many years, when I recently picked up their latest Sonar platform, I hit the manuals and read through them from Chapter one. And that was just me re-familiarizing myself with concepts, not learning from scratch.

That means not making music for awhile, but it's worth it.

Speck

NotASpeckOfCereal
——————————
Sonar Platinum [2017.01]
UA Apollo Duo FireWire
MOTU MIDI XT USB
Windows 7 Ult 64-bit
Intel i5 @3.40GHz, 32 GB
Guitars, V-Drums, Bass, Synths
Truman1234
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 01:42:45 (permalink)
Thanks for the kind words.  Can I give you an idea of what I'm dealing with?  First, I used to have a copy of Cakewalk Music Creator way back about 10 years ago. It was very simple to use and I mostly worked with Piano Roll.  I wanted to create backing tracks for my songs and I know that midi doesn't sound that great but it was better than nothing.  When I purchased this program I was expecting something similar.  I was surprised to find that I couldn't hear any sound on the piano keys (left of screen) and when I entered some notes and tried to play it back, no sound again.  I thought maybe it had something to do with my sound card so I tested it using a few other programs like YouTube or Windows Media Player and they all worked fine.  Apparently Cakewalk must want something else but I have tried multiple settings and nothing works.  The only sound card that shows is Realtek High Definition.  I'm not techie so I don't know how to set the program up.  I wonder if you might be able to help.  I don't even know what to look for.  
Thanks
NotASpeckOfCereal
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 02:14:21 (permalink)
The basic MIDI part of the way Sonar works is pretty much the way it's been for a long, long time, back when it was called Cakewalk whatever. It's the same piano roll thing, event list, etc. The most that has changed over the years is the audio stuff (non-MIDI waveform stuff, same as recording on tape), but if you just make MIDI tracks and record / play, plus use the piano roll, it should be the same as before.

But the you need to have MIDI ability in your computer. Getting sound from youtube is all audio, not MIDI. Since it's not the same thing, playing those clips doesn't show that your current computer can do MIDI.

Did you have an old Soundblaster card in your computer 10 years ago or some other sound card that had MIDI capability? Even if you didn't use the inputs and outputs to work with an external keyboard, you could still use a MIDI program like Cakewalk to play the sounds on the sound card itself (they often have General MIDI synthesizers right on the card, a synth on a chip).

Realtek is usually the onboard audio that most computer systems come with built in these days, but that's MIDI.  It could be that you didn't have to deal with any of this before if you bought a computer with a sound card installed that had MIDI, but most computers don't come with sound cards at all in them anymore, because it's all onboard (on the motherboard), at least the audio part is.

Resolution: so if my guess are correct, then you have to buy a sound card -- one with MIDI capability, then install it in your computer or have it installed. Then you may have to get into the Sonar preferences dialog to select the new soundcard (if it doesn't automatically recognize it).

BUT DOUBLE-CHECK first to see if you already have something MIDI in your machine: Run Sonar, bring up the Preferences dialog from the Edit menu, scroll down to the MIDI section and select Devices. Is anything listed there?

If there's nothing in that box, ask here about what sound cards you need. I see some for about $40 online, but I'm not familiar with recent sound cards.

Speck

NotASpeckOfCereal
——————————
Sonar Platinum [2017.01]
UA Apollo Duo FireWire
MOTU MIDI XT USB
Windows 7 Ult 64-bit
Intel i5 @3.40GHz, 32 GB
Guitars, V-Drums, Bass, Synths
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 02:32:48 (permalink)
Home Studio is a great DAW for starting out with. I have the full version too, but I use Home studio to work with pure midi files to make backing tracks for live performance. I wanted the simple version as I will be using it live eventually. For now I export to wave files and playback using good old Win Amp. 
The VST instruments that come with HS are a bit limited but I have added a few free and almost free extras and the sound quality of what I put out is miles ahead of what I used to have a few years ago. 
I use the SI bass, a few sounds from TTS-1 and the SI piano. I don't like the SI drums so I bought Strike2 when it was on sale for $40. It's pretty near as good as any VST drummer I've used. 

Your just going through the usual learning curve that no matter which DAW you buy you'll just have to endure.
You have to insert a VST instrument to play midi tracks. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Cactus Music
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 02:38:37 (permalink)
To get sound out of Sonar you will need to (best) purchase a proper audio interface and use ASIO drivers or
suffer the on board sound card and use WASAPI exclusive mode which is already there, or install Asio4all.   

It will use your on board sound as output. You won't be able to do much other than use midi and drop audio clips into the tracks. Recording your guitar or bass will defiantly require a proper audio interface. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

Truman1234
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 06:02:55 (permalink)
Thank you for all your effort.  My laptop does not have midi so I think that may be the problem.  I'm pretty tapped out for putting any more money into this program.  I think I will request a refund.  But thanks anyway.
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 11:26:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2017/04/11 14:18:02
That's some really weird advice you got. Of course your computer can "do midi", because Home Studio does it. What Cactus means is if you want to play a keyboard and record the notes, or play back midi with a hardware synth, you will need some form of midi communication to that instrument, be it USB or a traditional midi port. I'm not sure what NotASpeckOfCereal means but he may be referring to the ancient built-in synths that some sound cards used to have.

Previously you probably used the built in Microsoft midi synth in Windows. I'm not sure if that's still an option on all systems but it sounds like crap anyway and there are better things included in Home Studio. Looking at the "versions" page (from the (Sonar Platinum page, strangely it's not available from the Home Studio page) it shows that Home Studio comes with five instruments:
- Studio Instruments Bass
- Studio Instruments Electric Piano
- Studio Instruments Strings
- Studio Instruments Drums
- Rapture Session

The first four are pretty self explanatory, the last one is sort of a multi-instrument thing with many different sounds.

So what you need to do is not make a "midi" track but find "insert softsynth" in the menus at the top, and if a dialog pops up (I don't know if it will, I use Sonar Platinum and it does) select "simple instrument track". This will give you a track that looks like a midi track (piano roll, midi input etc) but has an audio output. The reason behind this is simple - midi doesn't actually make sound. It's just note data. You need to have a synthesizer to play back the notes. In this case, that synthesizer is a plug in program in your computer. It's true that you will get better performance (namely, less delay between hitting a note and hearing sound) with a proper dedicated audio interface but regardless of the interface you should be able to get sound and work.

Hopefully that's enough to get you started, let us know if you have more questions.
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 13:30:56 (permalink)
Im not sure you can get a refund.
Who's to say you don't keep using the software after being refunded ? There is no way of knowing.
That's why sales are final with almost all software.

the problems you are having seem pretty trivial and easy to fix with a little brush up on how audio/midi works.
There is a lot of documentation and videos on you tube.

You are probably best to leave a good list of your laptop specs, exc.
And hopefully you checked the system requirements before installing.

Good luck

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 13:48:07 (permalink)
Click the P button on your computer keyboard to bring up Preferences.
What is listed for Audio and MIDI, Devices and Playback and Recording?
What are your MIDI track in/outs set to?
Posting some screenshots of your Preferences would help if you're able to do that. Upload the images to an image hosting site, grab the Direct Link, uh, link, and Insert Image here.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
Cactus Music
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 15:40:50 (permalink)
Well boy's sounds like someone not even willing to try, 

I don't think anyone deserves a refund as all DAW's have free demos you can try. 
post edited by Cactus Music - 2017/04/11 16:31:35

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

Truman1234
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 15:42:55 (permalink)
Well Cactus Music I guess some folks aren't as smart as you.  Have you considered that I may be just a beginner? Nice.

Steven Brown
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 15:57:55 (permalink)
post edited by Steven Brown - 2017/04/11 16:21:11
karhide
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 457
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 16:04:19 (permalink)
Steven Brown
I have been unable to get SONAR Home Studio to send a sequence of notes to a USB MIDI output port, even though I have the port selected as MIDI output in SONAR, and I am still waiting since two weeks ago for support to respond with a solution. It is frustrating because I have an old version of Cakewalk Express from the 1990s that outputs to the MIDI port without a problem, in Windows 10. Anvil Studio works too. 

Steven I think you should start a new thread because this is a different issue.

Studio: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 32GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace UFX - Focusrite OctoPre MK II - Audient Mico

Mobile: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace 400

Mobile2: Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM 256 GB System Drive Windows 10 64 bit

http://www.karhide.co.uk/
https://karhide.bandcamp.com
Cactus Music
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 16:28:08 (permalink)
Yes that's obvious and this is the place to come for help which I will gladly partake in. But you seem to have thrown in the towel already. We all had to go through what your going through and it's totally OK to not "get it" first time around. Please don't take my comment the wrong way but helping people here takes up personal time so the help needs to be wanted first. 

My point is Home Studio is a very good  DAW to start on and you need to either keep at it or forget about home recording as a hobby because no matter which DAW you try or buy they all have a steep learning curve at the beginning. . Home Studio will do what you want it to do,, it's a simple matter of learning how it all works. And as said a million times , the best way to do this is take a few days to read, watch videos and test the water. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

chuckebaby
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 16:33:06 (permalink)
Truman1234
 Have you considered that I may be just a beginner?

I understand your frustration but it takes some time to digest everything and learn about the software.
We all have to start some where. That's what this forum is for. You should post some PC specs and photos of problems your having. There are many of us here that would help you out. We love a good challenge

Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB

JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 17:05:47 (permalink)
Truman, we are glad to help.  No need to give up just yet.  As a former Music Creator user, you are probably farther along than you know -- you just need to fill in the few missing pieces to get you going.

First, some questions:

What is your sound card/audio interface? 

How did you record previously with Music Creator?  Did you have a keyboard hooked up to your PC, or did you use an onscreen keyboard?

We'll get you up and running if you're willing to go through some troubleshooting steps.  Just hang in there. 

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
Truman1234
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 17:58:22 (permalink)
I use Presonus Audiobox 22VSL when I was using Music Creator I was using a pc with a keyboard hooked up to my system.

My laptop:
Acer Aspire E15 with Intel Core i5-6200U 2.3GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz
Intel HD Graphics 520, up to 4157 MB Dynamic Video Memory
8 GB DDR3 L Memory
1000 GB HDD

When I plug in my Audiobox I get this message: Audiobox 22VSL The above Audio/MIDI device was connected to your system. Do you want SONAR to add this device now? I clicked on [Yes]. Absolutely nothing happens. Still now sound when I click on the piano keys on the left.

I open Preferences:

Audio>Devices:
Input Drivers:
- Line (Audiobox 22VSL audio (box is checked)
- Stereo Mix (Realtek High Definition (box is checked) 

Output Drivers
Speakers (Realtek High Definition (box is checked)
Speakers (Audiobox 22VSL audio (box is checked)

Show Mono Output (box is checked)

Driver Settings:
Playback Time Master: 1. Speakers (Realtek High Definition)
Record Time Master: 1. Line (Audiobox 22VSL)
Audio Driver Bit Depth: 16
Stereo Panning Law: 0dB center, sin/cos taper constant power
Dim Solo Gain: -12 dB

Default Setting for new projects: 
Sampling Rage: 48000

Mixing Latency:
Buffers in Playback Que: 4
Buffer Size: Fast 10.0 msec
Effective latency at 48k Hz/stereo

Wave Profiler:
I clicked on and said [Yes] to the tests. MME all ok

Playback and Recording:
Driver Mode: MME 32-Bit
Dithering: Triangular

The following are checked:
Use multiprocessing engine
Use MMCSS
Always stream audio through FX

Command Audition Length (seconds): 3 the rest are all at 0

Audio>MIDI
Inputs:
Audiobox 22VSL (box not checked)

Outputs:
Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth (box is checked)
Audiobox 22VSL (box is not checked)

Instruments:
Output/Channel: Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth
Uses Instruments: Default

Control Surfaces: The only thing checked here is WAI Display>Track View

Playback and Record:
The following are checked:
Notes
Controller
Patch Changes
Pitch Wheel
System Exclusive
Number of Buffers: 64

Playback:
Prepare using: 250 Millisecond Buffers
Always Echo Current MIDI Track (box is checked)

MIDI Files
Always use Sysx Banks for MIDI files (instead of Sysx Data

That's all I got.  

Hope that helps some.
Sanderxpander
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 18:03:34 (permalink)
I don't think the GW midi synth can output over your Presonus audio box although I'm not 100 percent sure about this. Can you try inserting a softsynth like I pointed out in my earlier post? Do you get sound then?

Oh and you'd get better performance with softsynths if you switch driver mode from MME to ASIO but you should get sound regardless. Maybe tackle one issue at a time so as not to confuse the matter.
Truman1234
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 18:15:03 (permalink)
Yes I have sound.  Thank you.  Thank you all for your patience.  I am very grateful.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 18:17:22 (permalink)
Definitely deselect the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth. This will allow SONAR to automatically use TTS-1 when opening MIDI files as long no other MIDI output device is selected (including both the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth and Audiobox 22VSL)

You should also have the Audiobox 22VSL plugged in BEFORE starting SONAR.

You should install the Presonus driver software for the Audiobox 22VSL and follow this instructions to set up the interface https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/Audio-Hardware-Setup-Guide?productId=CSHS100&audioDeviceId=8

You will need to use the Audiobox 22VSL to drive your monitors/headphones.

You will use the Presonus client to set the ASIO buffers.
chuckebaby
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 18:19:12 (permalink)
Truman1234
Yes I have sound.  Thank you.  Thank you all for your patience.  I am very grateful.

Excellent. Good to hear.
Was it the way you were inserting the synth ? or your audio/midi settings ?

Sanderxpander
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 18:29:27 (permalink)
I don't know if Home Studio comes with TTS-1 but that would definitely be a good synth to use if it does since it has a general midi soundset. It won't sound the best but it'll be a familiar starting point.
scook
Forum Host
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 18:33:55 (permalink)
It does. ALL current versions of SONAR include TTS-1.
Sanderxpander
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 18:34:56 (permalink)
Oh cool. I didn't see it anywhere on the info pages but I probably just overlooked it.
scook
Forum Host
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 18:36:24 (permalink)
Cakewalk has not corrected the SHS synth list on their web site and documentation.
chuckebaby
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 18:51:58 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
I don't know if Home Studio comes with TTS-1 but that would definitely be a good synth to use if it does since it has a general midi soundset.

Are you questioning Scook  ?

scook
Forum Host
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 18:58:41 (permalink)
I have not seen a copy of SHS. In this case, I am relying on information supplied by Cakewalk product support.
Cactus Music
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 19:03:19 (permalink)
This is good news your are off and running now just keep us up to date and it will work. 

As said above install the ASIO drivers and use those, Sonar runs best with ASIO driver mode.. MME is the very worst driver of them all  Use only the Audiobox as your audio device. You do not want the realtech at all. 

And what scook said about not having anything as your midi output as this allows you to simply OPEN any midi file and it will load TTS-1 and automatically set everything up to play the file as it was composed.  

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

Truman1234
Re: Can't use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 2017/04/11 19:16:26 (permalink)
Thanks scook, I made those adjustments you suggested.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1