Helpful ReplyCarving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
2011/02/22 13:29:49 (permalink)

Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers)

(Note I consider everyone of you as ... artist and producer)

How and why do you like to carve your vocs into your mixes?  My vocs seem kind of shreaky on the ears ... (noching the EQ at 3.5kHz doesn't always help)

Please don't respond with the fallacies, "If it sounds good it is good" or "I just dial it in intuitively", "I use such and such a preset and get by".  Instead, try to state your strategies for your genre, or such.

I.e.,

Do you consistently EQ and compress vocs on the busses or tracks?

Do you multicomp, say at 3.5kHz, to downward compress the shrills/sheaks?

Do you notch your EQ in the drum-buss or instrument buss (e.g., at 2kHz?) to allow clarity in 'some of your mixes'?

How many layers?

Etc.

Thanks in Advance for any thoughts great or small.
post edited by Philip - 2011/02/22 13:46:12

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/02/22 15:07:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
well, I try to make it sound good, and dial it in naturally, and use the country preset in Ozone.... oh wait, you said DON'T tell you that.....

Seriously..... I do not obsess over the tracks in my tunes whether they are instruments or tracks. Aside from getting the music accurate... no wrong notes, try not to use scooped to the pitch vocals....you know...that sort of thing....I really just record the vocals with a flat EQ setting and dry, with no FX applied to the incoming audio.

After the fact, in the mixing phase, I generally add Studioverb 2 dark plate @ about 20% setting.... that is a fairly light verb.

I also add Ozone4 to the FX bin...and yeah...I have taken a preset, done my tweaks to  it and saved it as "My Country Vocal" preset. Tweaks to the EQ, compression and a few other things. I almost always tweek that preset more to get it exactly like I need in the song. No 2 songs require the same exact settings.  I always need to tweeze it one way or the other.

I could open it and give you the specific numbers but in reality, you know enough to know that would be useless to you. Your voice and mine are different and you'd be just as well off to start from scratch tweaking a preset for vocals as I would.

Since no one really seems to like the sound of their voice, perhaps it would be better to send a dry wave track of your voice and a track of the song you wish to sing to someone you trust, who also has the same mastering tools you do.  Let them pop the 2 tracks into a project in their DAW. Allow them to work on the vox with the same tools you have.... and then when they send it back, you can see exactly what they did to the vocal track's treatment.  they can also save the mastering into a preset and send that in a file as well so you can examine it in your own DAW.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Philip
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/02/22 18:18:46 (permalink)
GuitarHacker:  Thanks for your most excellent thoughts.

I'm thinking some of the shrills I'm getting might also be even melodyne related (haha!) ... when I've tightened a pitch with too little drift and vibrato, etc.

(I'll comment more later, ... got to roller skate)

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/02/22 18:56:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I like to get the music sounding good and often separate busses are applied in that process. But instead of sending the separate busses to the master I might create another buss and call it backing if you like and route that to the master.

I like to get vocals sounding pretty nice in solo mode. Do what you have to do to achieve that. I firstly edit vocal takes in a program like Adobe Autition. Just even a few things out level wise. Then in the mixdown channel some limiting first but with a threshold set high to only catch loud peaks. EQ to get the tone I am after and then some compression maybe. And of course time based effects can be applied. Any nasties in the vocal sound must be sorted out here.

I mix vocals in with the backing buss at low volume on a small speaker and go for that minimum voltage, maximum illusion approach. VU's don't change when the vocals are fully in.

Having all the backing or music on its own buss allows you to maybe insert an EQ with a light notch around the vocal area if the music is punching a little hard mid range wise, or you can tone things down on their individual busses eg guitars etc..Use you ears to tell you what instruments are interfering the most if you feel things are interfering with the vocals.

Editing what the music is up to as well while the vocal lines are present and when they are not also can make a huge difference. Even automating music or instrument eq changes can help a lot to allow a little more room for vocals when they are present and then eq change up in between etc..Use the vocals as a sidechain to duck a compressor slightly on the backing buss for example or one of the more mid range busses.

You should be able to keep the music sounding full range and well balanced and also if you have got a nice vocal sound then it does not need to be that loud in the mix before it becomes very clear and audible.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Philip
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/02/23 13:26:46 (permalink)
Thanks Jeff, I'm glad that you've chimed.  btw I love your signature.

"often separate busses" ... something I've shunned in the past on vocs due to each vox being unique in EQ, filtering, compression, fx's, and automation.  I've been reticent to apply automation to busses especially stem busses ... for tidiness of workflow ... but separate busses seem the most logical workflow.

"solo mode", Adobe audition, etc:  I'm pondering (assuming?) you've bounced and/or melodyned (and re-bounced) stuff at this stage ... I oft do.

I think I understand you "minimum voltage/maximum illusion" art and will focus on this pearl as I remix the bking vocs with and /without the lead vox ... with/without instruments.

Regarding EQ notches, I'm a stickler for clarity (at least til the hook repeats itself ad-nauseum and/or clarity gets obnoxious)

I've automated EQ on instruments and busses alot with some untidiness and confusion ... wondering if it really mattered.  It probably matters a lot!  The Flex-Munson effect causes 3.5khz shrills at low volumes (many instruments and vocs clash in my crowded mixes) ... subtractive edits/deletes and music automation helps ...

(In the car: The vocs at low volumes I monitor with smiley dynamics at high volumes I increase the treble due to F-M effects)

Of course the cacaphony oft sounds better than the euphony -- haha!  Especially after 3 cups of coffee!

"keep the music sounding full range and well balanced ... a nice vocal sound then it does not need to be that loud in the mix"
-- Very well!  I'll apply these pearls.

Philip  

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/02/23 15:28:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Thanks Philip for your thoughts. Yes my signature is about a great book that I have read twice now and still counting. Its called 'The Power of the Subconscious Mind' by Joseph Murphy. It is a great book. So much of the world that exists in your outer experience is totally dependant on your thinking. Change your thinking and you change your destiny. It is so true. I have recorded all the prayers in this book and the summaries at the end of each chapter. Once you get into regular subconscious mind work your world changes. You have to put time into working with and training your subconscious mind. If you don't, you are at the mercy of your negative thoughts then and things don't work out so well. And no plan means you could be going around in circles. But anyway....yes very interested in this stuff...

Maximum illusion minimum voltage refers to the concept of when a very important (lead or melodic especially) part of the music comes in and becomes very audible, the average voltage on the stereo buss does or should not change much. I like having real VU's tracking my main stereo bus all the time. They show a lot. If you have got your rhythm section happening nicely and it is mixed well the VU's will be moving a certain way to the music. Mixing in vocals through a small mono speaker at low volume means they become audible very quickly but the rms or average level on the stereo buss is not changing much. A synth pad is another good example. Very low in the mix and you will hear it quick but the VU's are not going to show it much if at all. If you have the vocals too loud they too start to wrestle the VU's and you will have problems with the vocals clashing with the backing more. They are both fighting the VU's. Let one aspect of the music do the VU stuff, (rhythm section) and the vocals do the illusion part and leave the VU's alone. (Another story for all the more reason to have real VU's over your mix. Peak reading meters found in many DAW's although important, fail to show any of this)

The powerful instruments like drums and bass will be contributing to the overall VU movement so we have a maximum illusion, maximum voltage situation. After that though more instruments represent the maximum illusion minimum voltage mode.

I find sending tracks to stems is a good way to make some overall changes to a particular stem. It only takes a very small dip of - 1db over a low Q wide band dip centerd around 1 KHz to completely change the sound of stem and suddenly push some things back nicely to allow for voals to come through easier.
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2011/02/23 15:29:57

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Philip
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/02/23 22:52:21 (permalink)
Thanks again, Jeff, for elaborating.  Its doubtful I will implement a VU device but the small speaker is a yes ... as I ponder, based on your writings here, that I may be able to use my ears as well as the dial.

As for the subconscious mind: I've read portions of Joseph Murphy's book and recognize this to be like Jung, Freud, Horney, Addler, Casey, etc.).  I have a b.a. degree in psychology and art (amongst other degrees) ... and know my soul's affections and lusts ... and dream like a psychotic.  But lately, I've focus'd more on the royalty free KJV Holy Bible to unleash and put a rein on the spiritual powers within (good and evil)

Philip  

listen
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 593
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/02/24 08:13:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Guitarhacker

Since no one really seems to like the sound of their voice, perhaps it would be better to send a dry wave track of your voice and a track of the song you wish to sing to someone you trust, who also has the same mastering tools you do.  Let them pop the 2 tracks into a project in their DAW. Allow them to work on the vox with the same tools you have.... and then when they send it back, you can see exactly what they did to the vocal track's treatment.  they can also save the mastering into a preset and send that in a file as well so you can examine it in your own DAW.
If you haven't you should take this route - if at all possible...

- Listen -
FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager
Nothing but the grace of God - mggtg.

VS 700C - R / CONSOLE 1 / NEVE PORTICO 5017 / TASCAM UH-7000 / SONAR PLATINUM  / REASON RECORD 9 / VMP 2 / UREI 7110's / UA LA-610 MkII / AUDIENT ASP 880 / CREATION STATION 450 V 5 WINDOWS 10 / HOME 64 - BIT / SKYLAKE CORE i7 (i7 - 6700, 4 CORES/8 THREADS)
Philip
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/02/24 11:45:49 (permalink)
listen

Guitarhacker

If you haven't you should take this route - if at all possible...
Listen,

1) I'm so glad you chimed and validated!  It is possible and has been done in 'round about ways' ... as I recently have collab'd with many here.  I've been focusing a lot on artists dry vox techniques, for example, as they have done with my dry vocs ... as we send them back and forth.  This works well for collabs.

2) Also, when I have a groove that is meaty and robust (like your last piece), the vox (interestingly) succeeds for my ears (for my vocs too).  That leads me to conclude the groove is everything for the vox!  And my general failure with groove-stricken country-ish music seems clearer.

3) ... Then comes the mix where all heck breaks loose.  Depending on the song's business, that dry vox sounds completely mush, harsh, etc.  I've come to rely on groove meisters and producer loops as 'male vox enhancements' ... haha!  I don't know!

Philip  

Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/03/07 16:55:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Hi Philip,

I know this is an older post, but I think the techniques part of the Sonar forum is where I'm going to hang out from now on. I'll be more help to people here anyway as this is what I do. :) I'd like to answer some of your questions in the manner in which I have dealt with them and experienced them myself. This is probably going to be a super long post, but I promise you a really good, informative read. :)

"My vocs seem kind of shreaky on the ears ... (noching the EQ at 3.5kHz doesn't always help)"

Vocal shreak can come from quite a few things. It can be that particular mic you are using, the angle in which you deliver your voice, how rough sounding your actual voice is, your actual vocal delivery (meaning, do you push like Michael Bolton to where your esophagus is going to leap out lol or do you use your diaphragm.) and of course, the eq curve you use on your voice.

For example, I have a U-87 Gold here. That's a pretty killer mic. But for me, it sounds horrible on my voice unless I sing in the key of G. Can you believe that?! I can't either. Something in that mic brings out a bit of a raspiness in me unless I sing in G. I don't know how it's possible or why, but it just is. So that said, the mic you choose can be VERY important. It's always a good idea to have a few good ones around. These days my go to mic for myself is an Equitek CAD E-200. It sold for about $500 when dinosaurs walked the earth years ago, but something about that mic just compliments my voice and I love the sound of it.

Other forms of "shreak" can come from not using a de-esser. This is important and can really clean up some of the shreak you mention. Your distance away from the mic and angle are important too. Sometimes the sound of our room can wreak havoc in a vocal presentation. I like to be close to my mic. The pop screen is 3-4 inches away and I am about 2 inches from the pop screen when I sing. This gives me an up close and personal sound without my room getting in the way. Now there are times where you may want some room to creep into the picture. You have to evaluate how good that room sound is. To me, I'd rather have control over that room and to do that, a good impulse sorts me right out. Or, I use the UAD EMT 250 which is a fantastic sounding verb. The key to using verbs and impulses is to create room atmosphere, not a hall or a tunnel. Long decay times are a thing of the past. We want "natural" to the point of no one saying "dude went over-board with a reverb on that".

"Please don't respond with the fallacies, "If it sounds good it is good" or "I just dial it in intuitively", "I use such and such a preset and get by".  Instead, try to state your strategies for your genre, or such."

Unfortunately, some of that fallacy is actually truth. Dialing things in intuitively really is the key and here's why. If you solo up an instrument and eq it that way, you are eqing that instrument to your ears...you are not eqing it to fit the mix, understand? The key is to make things work intuitively with the mix. So you want to eq with everything rolling at once. The only time you should solo an instrument is when it is a problem area. You know, something that is so wrong it should be re-recorded, yet you try to salvage it so it needs work? Those are the one's you can solo up because the other instrumentation may be masking the problem.   

"Do you consistently EQ and compress vocs on the busses or tracks?"

Yes sir, but never compression on a bus. I'll tell you why. To me, compression (unless you are sending a group of vocals to a bus or are using parallel compression) is an effect that should not have a mix of wet and dry signals. Not for processing of this nature. Vocal compression as well as vocal automation are what brings a vocal to life...and of course, the right eq and effects usage. But compression is the most important tool in the box for a vocal track even more so than an eq. I say that because I will not record a vocal that does not sound good or stand on its own. The mic I choose compliments the voice. Why would I record something that needs to be tweaked for hours? See my point? You NEVER record something and tell yourself later "I'll fix it in the mix". You waste so much time here, it's not even worth it. 

For example, I just recorded some scratch vocal tracks for a new CHB song. The vocal take was so good (the sound not my performance...I'm not a very good singer lol) it has 0 eq on it. Sure, for a final mix, I'd definitely tweak it some. But all it has is compression, a de-esser and a slight delay. The vocal by itself without anything but the compressor, stands on it's own. It still doesn't sound good due to the singer singing it..lol..but the quality of it as well as the natural delivery of the track, sounds good.

Now compression on busses to me, is a no no for a lead vocal. This needs to be applied as an entity. We want that compressor to work with the vocals. When we bus a compressor, the compressor and the vocals hold hands. When we apply a compressor directly to an effects bin, the compressor and the vocals become one...and entity so to speak and that's what we need. Sure, there are ways you can use it in a bus, but to me, it is way more consistent when handling vocal transients to be directly on the track. Once it handles the transients to where it's nice and consistent without over-comping, you automate to fine tune it. As for eq, you don't want excessive low end...you don't want loads of mids, and you don't want highs that make it hissy sounding. What to fix or adjust on this, depends on the vocal presentation...it truly does. I'd be shooting in the dark without hearing one of your vocal tracks to tell you where to fix things.

"Do you multicomp, say at 3.5kHz, to downward compress the shrills/sheaks?"

I would never put a multi-comp on a vocal track. If I did, it would be because that vocal track is in need of surgery and should be re-recorded. Multi-comps to me are surgical tools as well as mastering devices. There should be no need to run them on a vocal track in my opinion. Shrills and shreaks need to be identified before the vocal is printed. 9 out of 10 times, the mic you select can curb this artifact...honest.

As far as where to cut or boost, anyone telling you actual frequencies is going to be out of their tree. Each voice, mic, vocal delivery, mic pre and capture, is going to be different. You don't just jump on 3.5k if that frequency is not a problem area. You have to sweep through your bands and find out where the offender is, then make the appropriate correction. That artifact could be in the 7k range, why touch 3.5 if that's not where the offender is, see my point?

"Do you notch your EQ in the drum-buss or instrument buss (e.g., at 2kHz?) to allow clarity in 'some of your mixes'?"

I rarely touch the eq on my drum buss because all the eqing has been done on each track. On my drum bus is a Fairchild compressor to just keep them tight. It's not a parallel compression trick...it's just there to keep the transients in tact. However, there is nothing wrong with doing a little eq work to your drum bus if you feel the need. I work so hard on my individual drum tracks, I never feel the need for this. I do eq like crazy all over my drums though. High passing and low passing all over the place. If an instrument like say a kick drum, doesn't need 10k and above in it, why have it there? Removing the excess stuff you don't need in a sound makes your mix cleaner and makes room for other things. We don't need sub low end in a snare drum...why have it? We don't need high end in a bass guitar past 6k *most* times...why keep it? Most of the clack you want in a bass guitar is going to be from 1.2k to about 3k anyway. In the rare example, you may need a little something in the 4-5 k range just for some air or presence depending on the bass.

All the instruments walk hand in hand and need to be carved so that they all work well with each other. This is how you can hear everything so clear in professional mixes. They remove all the stuff that shouldn't be there...they give each instrument its own pan field, they eq effects, they control how wide an effect will spread, (this is important. Did you know that everytime you add a stereo effect that it is equal to hard left/hard right? Add enough of them, and you are walking on top) they don't boost frequencies in like-instruments and they make decisions as to what the instrumental blue-print will be BEFORE they even record most times.

For example, I had a great conversation with Philz last night on the phone about kick drums. When you are working up the core of your rhythm section, it is VERY important to decide on things before you start to mix and produce your material. Kick drums and bass guitars are easily 2 of the greatest offenders in the recording field. For 1, because they both are low end based and for 2, because they both usually share a center pan field.

The way to stop frequency masking is to decide what these instruments will be doing. For example, if we want a thuddy kick drum with nice low end, we shouldn't go for a bass guitar with that oooooom type sounding low end. It would be better for the bass guitar to have a little less lows, and a bit more clack and you let the kick drum handle the thud. If you decide you DO want a bit more ooooom sound to the bass, you create a kick drum with a little less thud and a bit more beater attack. When you do this, you make sure that you are not accentuating the same low end frequencies, compress accordingly, and you should be golden.

"How many layers?"

Unfortunately, you'll have to get back to me on what that question means as I don't have a clue. LOL! The only time I've dealt with layers, it was in regard to several guitar layers, back up vocal layers etc. So fill me in there and I'll try to answer it for you.

Sorry for the novel man, but hopefully this will give you a good idea on what you can do with some of this stuff. If you have any problems or questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Kroneborge
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1300
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/03/07 19:16:28 (permalink)
Thanks guys for this really interesting thread.   In particular thanks Danny for all the mix comments.

You've given me a lot to think about.

Mathew

Hip Hop
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

Danny Danzi
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/03/07 19:36:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
You're quite welcome, Mathew. Yeah it is a lot to think about. But once you get this stuff down and have experimented a bit, the results speak for themselves and you can really enjoy this field so much more. I think one of the worst feelings for me (other than being rejected by a hott chick lol) is years ago when I didn't know this stuff, how much time I'd waste and still not be happy after weeks of mixing one freakin' song! Ever have that happen?! Man, it's the worst! Even when you think you did a really good job and feel confident, your palms are sweaty as you put that CD in your car...you cross your fingers, you hope that you don't have to write anything down on that note pad you brought with you to take back into your studio and make changes on things that you can't hear in there anyway....lmao! I soo don't miss those days.

The next step in really fixing issues is to identify musical frequencies as syllables in the english language. This is how I teach my students how to listen to sounds. Each eq frequency is a syllable. It makes a sound and the more you mess with them and get familiar with them, the more you literally start to talk in "freakwency" as I call it. LOL! I don't know what instrument you play if any, but one of the cool things for me was when I finally knew every note on every string of my guitar. From there, my challenge was to memorize the sounds of chords and burn them into my head. I knew I'd never have perfect pitch, but I'm darned close and the things I've memorized have helped me. Just like memorizing frequencies. I'm never spot on with them, but darned close. I'll hear something and say "well, there's definitely too much low mid congestion around the 200Hz range." When I check the file, it may be 217Hz or 230Hz. I'm always close.

But my point is, it's good to know this stuff because once you can learn to identify and know what to listen for, it (sadly sometimes) makes this way too easy because the obvious is really right there in front of us. :)

My Site
Kroneborge
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/03/07 19:44:23 (permalink)
"I didn't know this stuff, how much time I'd waste and still not be happy after weeks of mixing one freakin' song! Ever have that happen?!"

All the time, lol.   Although it's starting to get better.  I'm also hoping to get that AKC.  Hopefully that will help as well.

Also interesting idea about trying to learn frequencies that way.   I admit what I normally do now, is just make a large notch and search till I find the freq I want to change.  I'm sure training your ears is a big part of this and something that just takes time.   But I guess there's no time like the present.

Mathew

Hip Hop

BreakBeats

Danny Danzi
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/03/07 19:52:26 (permalink)
Hahaha, yeah I had a feeling you might have fought with that stuff a bit. We all do. The object is to not be afraid to ask for help so that you don't fight with this stuff for long. I had a really good guy show me lots of stuff as well as how to listen. It really made a huge difference for me. I type up these novels all the time for the CHB guys because they all are working on being better engineers and this stuff has really come in handy for them and made a huge difference. It's amazing how little things like this can make such a huge difference. It's even better when it's in a language that's easy to understand instead of it all being so techy, you're like...uh, um...ok...yeah, thanks." LOL!

I'm guessing you meant ARC? That will definitely help you. If you get it, send me a pm and I'll send you this document I have typed up that will give you the best experience using it telling you everything to do that the manual misses. I just got Ed (bapu) from the CHB to get it and his mixes have changed over night because he can really hear what's going on now. He also needed a sub as well, but it's made such a difference...he'll tell ya about it if you ever ask him. Anyway, good luck with this stuff man...hang in there and if you ever have any questions I can help ya with, let me know. :)

My Site
Kroneborge
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/03/07 20:13:42 (permalink)
Will do, I have to get my wife a truck first, but should hopefully get the ARC in a month or two.

Plus as you say getting feedback from the forum really does help.   I used to share a studio with another guy, and even though he didn't know that much technically, just getting a second pair of ears on something is a life saver sometimes.

Now I just make my wife listen to it, but she usually won't do that more than once a day, lol.   Anyway, I will be sure to look you up when/if I get it.

Thanks again,

Mathew

Hip Hop

BreakBeats

Philip
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/03/08 22:04:05 (permalink)
Danny, I've always experienced that the greatest artists, singers, and producers here are the mentors who are overly-generous sharing their experiences, successes, failures, etc. ... you are no exception.

I've skimmed your thoughts and will comment more in detail ... as vox and groove vibes are such vital topics ... Thanks exceedingly for these generous thoughts.

Philip  

Danny Danzi
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/03/08 23:48:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
You're quite welcome, Philip. I'm sorry the post was so long and wordy, but I wanted to be as in depth as possible in hopes it might point you in the right direction. If you ever decide to post up a vocal take or something that I can listen to (or send me a link via pm if you wish) I'd be more than happy to listen to it and give you some advice on it. :)

Vocals are a strange animal and even more so when they are our own. LOL! Do you ever have a problem listening to yourself on an answering machine let alone a vocal track? That took me quite a while to get used to. I had an incredible female vocal coach years ago when I was learning to sing that explained that to me so well. She said:

"When you talk or sing, the bones in your face rattle/vibrate which alters the sound. You are hearing these vibrations as you speak or sing which makes it sound completely different to you. When you hear the sound of your voice talking on an answering machine or you hear yourself sing, this unfortunately, is what you sound like without the vibration altering that sound. You just have to get used to it and accept that this is what you sound like to everyone."

You can imagine the next words out of my mouth were "uggh, you're kidding right?! I sooo hate the sound of my speaking voice and my singing voice...how do you expect me to get used to this!?" LOL!!! But, you just do because, well, you don't have a choice most times. LOL! I don't know about you, but the only reason I sing lead vocals in my original band is because I couldn't find anyone else to do it. It just sort of happened. I work so hard at it because I know it's the weakest link in my musical arsenal. I have to watch what I eat, what I drink, how I breathe...it really is amazing the things you have to do to get a decent sound out out of your voice. Here are a few tips that may help you.

If you drink soda, fruit juice, vegetable juice, coffee, tea, alcohol, etc, it all removes the protective coating of mucus that protects your vocal folds. If you drink tea with honey like everyone talks about, which is a myth, it makes MORE mucus. Your best bet, room temp water...no ice. When you sing, before you take a breath of air in, make your abbs hard like you'd make them if someone was gonna hit ya in the gut...and just take a bit more than your normal breath of life in before you sing. This will stop the flood of air from smashing your vocal folds. Ever blow through a kazoo as a kid? Ever really blow into it hard and it makes a squeak sound? There's another way we can make that "shreak" sound you mentioned. When you flood your vocal folds...they are like that little piece of plastic in that kazoo. Too much air, it floods and makes a strange sound. The right amount of air, you have way more control and will actually have a higher range believe it or not. The technique takes a bit of getting used to, but once you get it down, you won't even think about it anymore. Anyway...I've typed you yet another novel, sorry Philip....just trying to help. :) Let me know if any of this stuff helped at all. If not, I got a few other tricks up my sleeve I can share. :D
post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/03/08 23:53:20

My Site
jsykes
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 631
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/03/09 10:53:36 (permalink)
Danny: These are great tips. I've always enjoyed the depth of your contribution on the forums. Thanks.

Sonar Homestudio XL
Dell laptop
Echo Layla
Takamine EAN-15C
Ibanez Artcore
Electoharmonix, Digitech, Tubescreamer, AdrennaLinn
Advice from forum members
Philip
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/03/09 13:17:50 (permalink)
Danny (and all),

By layers (vocal), I meant vocal tracks for the lead vox.  For example, I'm mixing a lead vox (Clifford) sent to me in Sonar 8.5 ... that Clifford has dutifully premixed into 6 vox tracks (of himself chanting):

1) Lead                   (centered)
2) Lead bkging 1    (centered)
3) Lead bkging 2    (centered or nearly centered)
4) Lead screw'd    (centered)
5) Lead LT            (LT 90%)
6) Lead Rt            (RT 90%)

Of these 6 tracks ('layers'), I detect that about 3 of them are seperate takes (depending on the section)

He EQ'd/Compressed them on 4 different busses (with very little track fx's) ... I'm quite satisfied with his 6-layered vox and the method he used.  But, I'd have preferred, as you, EQing and Compressing on the track level only (if CPU is not strangled)

Normally, for the lead, I work with 3 tracks (just 2-3 takes) (one having a 32msec Haas delay) ... 1 centered and 2 panned LT &/or RT. 

I realize a lot of intuition does occur for seasoned mixing artists, but novices and intermediates and advancers stll seem to require presets, paradigms, and/or "core strategies" (as you necessarily outlined with Philz for CHB).  Everything collapses on you, the mixing artist.

Your last post, btw, IIRC, reminds me of Mark Baxter's venerable paradigms ... who I think of as "Old School" ... but cherish his naturalistic diaphram-larnyx remedies -- haha!  (Heck, I think I've attained 2 octaves up, thanks to his survival guide ... haha!)

Applying "New School" techniques, I don't mind making sweet vocs out of inferior samples, as long as there are strong performance emotives (like the Talent gives a rat's behind).  Rarely have I had pitch-performance issues, timing performance issues, and/or dynamics performance issues with today's technology in the hands of a loving and patient mixer (that might be you and I). 

I'm in the camp that 'knows/believes' that the passionate and patient mixer is the real vox ("luv his chops" -- haha!) ... despite the samples he re-gurgitates (his own vox or others).  IOWs, you the composer-producer, with all your knowledge and intuition are the spokes-piece, the alpha-omega (haha!), the painter, the ELO-capitan, etc.  Thats why having a "core" groove-chord progression will sustain and flatter almost any *devout* vox, in my mind. 

Like recording real drum performances with special rooms and mics, vocs seem to demand abstracting into layers for vox-remixing (as a (co-) dominant element) ... which I'm learning.  (I state (co-) dominant element because producer-loop-grooves are pretty dominant in most mixes.

Danny, you've stated many excellent pearls and proverbs worth reading and re-reading:  Mics, Reverb pearls, delay pearls, compression, etc. ... which require repetition for us aspiring and seasoned artists ... who easily forget the intense passion, patience, artistry, techniques, etc. required.  At some point I'll ask you to crit (publicly or privately as you prefer).

Philip  

Danny Danzi
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/03/09 13:25:42 (permalink)
jsykes

Danny: These are great tips. I've always enjoyed the depth of your contribution on the forums. Thanks.

You're quite welcome j, thanks for the kind words. :)

My Site
Philip
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/03/09 14:35:42 (permalink)
"If you drink soda, fruit juice, vegetable juice, coffee, tea, alcohol, etc, it all removes the protective coating of mucus that protects your vocal folds. If you drink tea with honey like everyone talks about, which is a myth, it makes MORE mucus. Your best bet ..."

Ah! ... to titrate the tea and honey after my caffeine frenzy (strip the mucus then produce fresh clods of mucus ...) LOL!

Seriously, I'll ask my wifey to search for honey (for mixing with the luke-warm water ... which may be Baxter-approved?!)

Philip  

Danny Danzi
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/03/09 14:47:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Philip

Danny (and all),

By layers (vocal), I meant vocal tracks for the lead vox.  For example, I'm mixing a lead vox (Clifford) sent to me in Sonar 8.5 ... that Clifford has dutifully premixed into 6 vox tracks (of himself chanting):

1) Lead                   (centered)
2) Lead bkging 1    (centered)
3) Lead bkging 2    (centered or nearly centered)
4) Lead screw'd    (centered)
5) Lead LT            (LT 90%)
6) Lead Rt            (RT 90%)

Of these 6 tracks ('layers'), I detect that about 3 of them are seperate takes (depending on the section)

He EQ'd/Compressed them on 4 different busses (with very little track fx's) ... I'm quite satisfied with his 6-layered vox and the method he used.  But, I'd have preferred, as you, EQing and Compressing on the track level only (if CPU is not strangled)

Normally, for the lead, I work with 3 tracks (just 2-3 takes) (one having a 32msec Haas delay) ... 1 centered and 2 panned LT &/or RT. 

I realize a lot of intuition does occur for seasoned mixing artists, but novices and intermediates and advancers stll seem to require presets, paradigms, and/or "core strategies" (as you necessarily outlined with Philz for CHB).  Everything collapses on you, the mixing artist.

Your last post, btw, IIRC, reminds me of Mark Baxter's venerable paradigms ... who I think of as "Old School" ... but cherish his naturalistic diaphram-larnyx remedies -- haha!  (Heck, I think I've attained 2 octaves up, thanks to his survival guide ... haha!)

Applying "New School" techniques, I don't mind making sweet vocs out of inferior samples, as long as there are strong performance emotives (like the Talent gives a rat's behind).  Rarely have I had pitch-performance issues, timing performance issues, and/or dynamics performance issues with today's technology in the hands of a loving and patient mixer (that might be you and I). 

I'm in the camp that 'knows/believes' that the passionate and patient mixer is the real vox ("luv his chops" -- haha!) ... despite the samples he re-gurgitates (his own vox or others).  IOWs, you the composer-producer, with all your knowledge and intuition are the spokes-piece, the alpha-omega (haha!), the painter, the ELO-capitan, etc.  Thats why having a "core" groove-chord progression will sustain and flatter almost any *devout* vox, in my mind. 

Like recording real drum performances with special rooms and mics, vocs seem to demand abstracting into layers for vox-remixing (as a (co-) dominant element) ... which I'm learning.  (I state (co-) dominant element because producer-loop-grooves are pretty dominant in most mixes.

Danny, you've stated many excellent pearls and proverbs worth reading and re-reading:  Mics, Reverb pearls, delay pearls, compression, etc. ... which require repetition for us aspiring and seasoned artists ... who easily forget the intense passion, patience, artistry, techniques, etc. required.  At some point I'll ask you to crit (publicly or privately as you prefer).

Ok Philip, this sheds more light on the subject now....excellent! :) Let's see what we can do. I'll try to keep this post short...but you know how that ends up. LOL! One of the most important things to me in this field is to properly create your sound stage. This part comes in right after I choose my instrument blue-print most times. Picture a stage as you would see a show. Create this in your mind or map it out on paper if need be with a picture of instruments on a stage or draw something up really quick. Keep in mind there are no rules other than your creativity and everything I'll share here will be my personal, subjective views. :)

Pans are so important and the key is not to exhaust our wide pans unless we have to. For 1, the wider we go, the more separated our mix becomes. Ever hear drum kits with huge panning toms, rides hard left, hats hard right etc? This makes the drum kit become separated from the mix....too separated for my liking. On a real stage, our drums are centered. Though we will hear toms panning, hats on the right, ride on the left (listener perspective) it's not going to be this drastic pan we sometimes hear in music. If we keep our drum pans tighter, we can tighten the double rhythm guitar tracks that we created that most people run at 100L/100R which literally makes them smaller sounding. Pan a guitar all the way to the left. Then pan it 75 left....the sound is no longer so small.

Hard pans in my opinion should be left for special effect type things or for when you need something to be on the outside of your sound stage. Those are the pan fields that will really leap out at a listener. If we use them too often, the mix pretty much stays one dimensional and can bring on ear fatigue. There is really not much you can do for wow factor with too many hard pans other than bringing something in with a stereo enhancer that simulates a space that isn't really there. In turn, if you're not careful, this can walk over top of something.

Now the same can be said when you have too many center pans. What happens here is, your what we call "phantom center" is accentuated and at times, you can get a "phased" type sound going on. Let's take a look at your vocal tracks for a minute so I can further explain the method to my madness here. :)

Now we have 4 lead vocals centered in this. Along with this pan field, we have a kick drum and a bass guitar most likely. This makes the center pan field loaded with action. It's not a bad thing, but if you're not careful, you could have some things masking others depending on your eq curve. For me personally, I have always been a fan of "my voice is my voice". I never double track my lead vocals because if you are not super precise, it gives you that Ozzy doubling type effect and I sooo hate that. It also can form a dissonance within the vocals if extra care isn't given. The HAAS thing you mention is fine, but you also want to control the amount of spread on that because you really don't want your voice to take up the entire stereo image. Let's look at how to control that a bit more.

As I had mentioned in another post, any effect you run in stereo is going to be the equal to 100L/100R. Too much of this is like putting instruments all in the same pan field. So to fix this, do your HAAS vocals the way you always do. But before we go on, do you notice when you HAAS them, one side always seems louder than the other? The reason for this is due to the delay on the other side hitting later than the other. So it gives you the effect that one side is louder than the other. Especially at 32ms, you will really notice this volume difference and it could also be a little too loose. I like to use HAAS effects at about 24ms because it makes them tighter...but this is subjective. But getting back....to control the spread of these vocals, put a Sonitus Phase plug at the end of the chain. You don't have to mess with anything other than the width control. Remember that the width control here set at 100% will leave things unchanged and at 100L/100R. So, take the width down and you will notice the vocal spread will get tighter. Try to make those lead vocals sit right in between your hats and ride on the drum kit. That's the perfect space for a vocal to be in. You should be able to achieve this with a spread on the phase plug using 40-60 on the width control depending on how you have your drum kit panned. This lets the lead vocal sit nicely in the stereo field and it will actually sound a bit thicker because you are bringing the HAAS effect in tighter. The more delay and spread you have, the wider the vocal, but the looser it will sound as well as be too separated.

For your backing vocals, unless you have a choir of angels singing, I like to keep them on the outside of the hats and ride and in between rhythm guitars. This way they never walk on top of the lead vocals and they have their own identity in the stereo field. This leaves room for guitars slightly wider than the back up vocals, and if you have keys...you can have them wider to add some nice ambience to the mix. Quite a few people like to hard pan their boards...you can do this if you wish...but make sure the sound is impressive enough to have bragging rights to occupy that pan field. Most times keys and orchestra type stuff will be filler material...backing instruments. It's nice to have a handle on them so that they don't run amuck in the mix. The reason I say this....a stereo synth that is hard left/hard right, will nearly sound centered when you really listen to it. There we go again adding more stuff to the phantom center pan field, understand?

Stereo imaged sounds (which is just what a sound is when you recorded it with dual tracks at once) is not the same as a simultaneous, individual take. THAT is where true stereo comes in...and then you lose the "phantom center". But with stereo takes which include keys, guitars from amp sims, processors etc....anything that is not played 2 times, will always be stereo imaged. For example, lots of guys are under the impression that if they plug into their POD's on guitar and run two outs stereo, they are recording in stereo. This is not true. The only thing in stereo will be the effects if any are used. Chorus, delay, flange, verb, etc. Distortion/over-drive is not a stereo effect. So anyone recording those dual stereo tracks at once that look like this:

▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄

Is not recording in true stereo. It's not a bad thing, but it's not true stereo and you'll get much cooler stuff by double tracking in my opinion. Even with keys...the waves within the sound are moving left to right...it's stereo imaged, not true stereo. If you want it to really rip your face off, record it twice and let your human inconsistencies put it in true stereo...and listen how cool it will sound when the waves within the synth move left and right along with your new performance. 

But for vocals, to me less is more unless the back up vocals are where you are going to be adding your layers. For example, I had mentioned to you the other day that I was working on a vocal part for the CHB. The hook in the chorus line in the song is a back up vocal that simulates a country singing. I sang the back up harms 25 times and added Clone Ensemble to it...it's crazy sounding, but it hits VERY hard. For a vocal like that, we have 2 options. We let it consume the entire mix left to right like an entire country of people singing would do, or we tighten it up and allow it to be slightly wider than the hats and ride cymbal. Both methods work VERY well and the message still gets through. As a producer I have to decide if it's worth it to "tip my hat" and lash out with this in those hard L/R pans or, do I keep it tight? What is better for the song? In this case, I don't know yet because the song isn't done and this will depend on what the other instrumentation is doing.

So hopefully some of this helps you or at least gets the wheels spinning for you. Multiple vocal tracks are cool to experiment with. If they are lead vocal tracks and you have several, the best bet is to try and come up with a way to make them an entity so they don’t sound like a bunch of lead vocals fighting for the throne, ya know? I’d have to hear what you have going on to really comment further. So when you’re ready, let me know and I’ll give it a listen for you. Uggh…another novel. Sorry Philip…if only I knew how to be less wordy yet keep the information factor. I just hope some of it helps you man. Best of luck.
post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/03/09 14:53:39

My Site
Danny Danzi
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/03/09 14:51:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Philip

"If you drink soda, fruit juice, vegetable juice, coffee, tea, alcohol, etc, it all removes the protective coating of mucus that protects your vocal folds. If you drink tea with honey like everyone talks about, which is a myth, it makes MORE mucus. Your best bet ..."

Ah! ... to titrate the tea and honey after my caffeine frenzy (strip the mucus then produce fresh clods of mucus ...) LOL!

Seriously, I'll ask my wifey to search for honey (for mixing with the luke-warm water ... which may be Baxter-approved?!)

The tea/honey thing is absolutely perfect for AFTER you're done singing. Just try not to do it before...it's almost like after you drink milk...that coated type feeling? The mucus (lol I hate that word...not as much as the word phlegm though...who comes up with this stuff?! LOL) on our vocal folds is like oil in a car engine. When you strip it away with sugar, heat from coffee etc...it's like running that engine without oil. Some guys like the sound of this rasp but it's like a good 25 watt Celestion speaker being pushed...it sounds great while it's dying a slow death. Unlike a speaker, sometimes when our voice dies, you can't get it fixed. Nodes are no fun (blisters on your trachea) and people don't realize how easy it is to ruin a voice for life.

My Site
Philip
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/03/09 23:00:05 (permalink)
Danny, I/we are all honored by generous threads ... these seem much better than Yep's discourses, IMHO, as you are struggling with the rest of us in real time ... and are willing to crit.

-- Your profound panning-artistry I can fully relate to (in theory --haha!).  The dancefloor and roller-skating rink paradigms are important for my mixes also (except for my last Haggardly country-ish whine --haha!).  I love your art spirit and faithful soundstage rendering paradigms.  I must digest your thoughts as I mix here in the hotel (tonight on my HP Envy with 2 SSDs faithfully alive).

-- With most of my vocs I've experienced serious comb-filtering with slap-back delays < 30msecs ... even panned at 100L/R.  I suppose the problem is lessoned if I keep the delay-sound levels lower.  'Twould be great if I could do your engineering more soundly:
-- I've gotten into 'thickening' ruts where I've Haas'd or slap-back-delay'd guitars, keyboards, backing vocs, choirs, lead vocs, tambs, glocks ... 80-100 LT/RT.  Seems that when I back off the delay fx's ... the mixes get weak and tinny ... not always wonderful thing for roller skating or dancing (--haha).
-- Also I desperately try LT-RT delays plus RT-LT delays to *artifically* seperate delays in the backing vocs.  And/or I'd add more msecs to the other delays ... to hopefully clarify the sludge.  Of course, subtractive edits oft win the day ... which has its own issues of timidity, shyness, etc.  (if that makes any sense).

Heck, I've had vocs I subtractively editted to *delicate perfection* ... only to realize 1.5 years later ... that they sound more vibrant and perfect with their in-your-face shrieks and aweful cacaphony.

The time will shortly come when I request your seasoned ears and crit ... but it had better be one of the new mixes I'm struggling with.

Philip  

Danny Danzi
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/03/10 02:49:42 (permalink)
Philip

Danny, I/we are all honored by generous threads ... these seem much better than Yep's discourses, IMHO, as you are struggling with the rest of us in real time ... and are willing to crit.

-- Your profound panning-artistry I can fully relate to (in theory --haha!).  The dancefloor and roller-skating rink paradigms are important for my mixes also (except for my last Haggardly country-ish whine --haha!).  I love your art spirit and faithful soundstage rendering paradigms.  I must digest your thoughts as I mix here in the hotel (tonight on my HP Envy with 2 SSDs faithfully alive).

-- With most of my vocs I've experienced serious comb-filtering with slap-back delays < 30msecs ... even panned at 100L/R.  I suppose the problem is lessoned if I keep the delay-sound levels lower.  'Twould be great if I could do your engineering more soundly:
-- I've gotten into 'thickening' ruts where I've Haas'd or slap-back-delay'd guitars, keyboards, backing vocs, choirs, lead vocs, tambs, glocks ... 80-100 LT/RT.  Seems that when I back off the delay fx's ... the mixes get weak and tinny ... not always wonderful thing for roller skating or dancing (--haha).
-- Also I desperately try LT-RT delays plus RT-LT delays to *artifically* seperate delays in the backing vocs.  And/or I'd add more msecs to the other delays ... to hopefully clarify the sludge.  Of course, subtractive edits oft win the day ... which has its own issues of timidity, shyness, etc.  (if that makes any sense).

Heck, I've had vocs I subtractively editted to *delicate perfection* ... only to realize 1.5 years later ... that they sound more vibrant and perfect with their in-your-face shrieks and aweful cacaphony.

The time will shortly come when I request your seasoned ears and crit ... but it had better be one of the new mixes I'm struggling with.

Thanks Philip, that's really kind of you to say. Just trying to make a difference where I can. I'm kinda glad I decided to check out this part of the forum because this is really the stuff I'm into. I wish I were better at using Sonar using all the key commands etc, but at the end of the day, however you get to the other side while remaining happy is what matters most. :)

Ok, here's the thing. Most times with your wideness/thickness thing, it comes from the sound itself as it's printed. Like I had mentioned to you on a vocal performance....how it has to stand on its own, the same with your instrument prints. Any time we have to artificially widen something to make it appear thicker, we can add artifacts to the mix that can actually add to our mayem and congestion if we're not careful.

That said, there ARE ways to do this to where they sound natural without using delays. You just have to keep in mind, a mic'd amp, a bass, a speaker sim sound, a voice, a Roland V Drum sample or even a real drum, is only going to sound like what that instrument is. If it's to be any bigger or wider, it's going to need a few mics on it with different eq's, maybe a double take or effects that allow the natural sound of the instrument to be enhanced or enlarged. Most people don't have the luxury of a real drum kit, and it's a pain in the butt to handle anyway...so we're stuck with samples. Though samples sound real, we have to work them and make them become something that they really aren't at times.

The use of room impulses, compressing those impulses and a good eq curve on the impulses can make a world of difference. I guess that sentence there alone could have been the comment to make this post shorter. But we either need to record the sounds themselves big, or we need to manipulate them the right way without just using delay type effects that are bouncing all over the place. With the impulse method, we're getting a bit of everything, but the method to the madness is a more natural approach using the sound itself with room ambience. The right room helps the sound to be a bit delayed just like a real room. This is sort of like a HAAS in a sense, but it's more natural and not as abrupt. If you mic up cabs and use distant room mics as well as close mics and solo up those distant room mics, you'll notice there is a delay factor if you jack those sounds up to the same volume or louder than the up front mics. You wouldn't normally do this, but if you did, you'd notice, though there is a delay of sorts, it's a bit more realistic because the delay is in the room, it's not a "delay effect".

Our "direct sounds" for those of us who don't mic anything up due to neighbors, how late we do this stuff etc...are lacking something important...and that is, speaker-to-mic air. You know, that little bit of air and or phasing that just gives a mic'd instrument that certain something that direct lacks? We can accomplish this with good impulses as well as how the impulses are compressed and eq'd. A direct sound or speaker sim sound etc, doesn't have to sound small or too direct. You can make these things come to life and really sound mic'd. I'll spare you on that though because that would require a novel and...you've read enough of my novels for one week. LOL! :) Definitely send a mix my way when you feel the need. I promise to be gentle, but I will be honest. :)

My Site
Philip
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/03/10 22:28:29 (permalink)
Wow, Danny!  Such perception to ponder on.  When I mixed last night (into the wee-hours) ... I felt much more confident with vox manipulations ... having your solid aesthetics to bounce on.

Alas, I may never 'Direct Input' a guitar again, despite it being oft 'colored-already' by the Ax-Fx-Processor (a studio-man's redeemer).

I'd like to give you the link to my recent offering, Arriba: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=850571&content=songinfo&songID=9737833,
to understand how you might have tentatively portrayed these shrieks of madness ...

to get your thoughts ... as I suspect there are some easily fixable phrases, some dissonant vox/mix issues based on your sensitive ears and gentle thoughts (--haha).  If you'd prefer another link or audio file for this, please let me know.

Thanks so much!!!!

Philip  

Danny Danzi
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/03/10 23:15:24 (permalink)
Philip, was this a set up or what? LOL! This was great! I sooo love fun, moving music like this! I don't hear anything I would touch in this to be honest. I mean, subjectively there are always things another artist/producer would offer in their own vision. However, I NEVER mention stuff like that because I sincerely feel it's not important. I try not to even think about it to be honest and have fought with myself for years to just listen to music as a listener and not a producer unless I'm asked to produce for a client. Music was created by different artists because it's THEIR take on a creation. That's like me telling Rembrandt "dude, don't use that shade of red because I just don't like it."

There is nothing here that sticks out to me as wrong, shreaky or in poor judgement or taste. I found this to be a fun song with MUCH better production than I had anticipated. The only thing I can offer is...on a few parts where Julianna (I so love that name! Probably my fave female name next to Gianna...sorry, just had to share that!) is up high and there is a male voice an octave under her, there are a few vocal "wavers" so to speak, but nothing that would make anyone cringe.

Octaves (especially when it's male and female trying to do this) are really tough...especially when one uses vibrato heavily and the other may not or the 2 vibrato's are of different timings and flavors. This can form dissonance as well as the octaves possibly not being spot on. So I try my best to stay away from this sort of thing and go for more conventional harmonies so that the voices are closer in pitch. It's almost like too far away when we do male/female octaves with just 2 voices and no other harmonies in between, know what I mean? It leaves a little too much space for my liking, but there is nothing wrong with it. In the very beginning, I don't know if I would have went with the "scary theme" type string at 0:11 that hits for a second as it to me, formed a bit of dissonance. However, it fools the listener into wondering what type of song this is going to be...so the tension/shock factor was appreciated there even if it wasn't something I felt was really needed in the tune. See, this is the sort of subjectivity I don't like to share because it's really not necessary as this is what YOU felt should be there, not what I felt. :)

But other than that, (and maybe raising the drums a bit as tunes like this really need to pump a bit in my opinion) I really enjoyed this and felt for as much stuff as you have going on with this, you handled it extremely well and everything was completely audible at all times. Eq curves were well done, no excessive lows, no mid range congestion and nothing harsh in the high end to my ears. Good use of different verbs and automation too! This is as good as anything out there professionally done in this genre. Extremely well done on all counts man. I think you've been too hard on yourself....but that's ok when you put something out like this. Thanks for sharing it, I thoroughly enjoyed it! :)

post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/03/10 23:22:17

My Site
Philip
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/03/11 20:51:11 (permalink)
Danny, these are real vox concerns despite the artistic vibe(s) at stake.  Thank you so much for your excellent thoughts ... which you've addressed perfectly ... having a perfect understanding of the subjective and objective balance in art. 

(I chose this *finished* song because of the groans/shrieks/dissonance/etc. ... of vocs and instruments competing ... and because you explained advanced vox technologies (above) that seemed connected to my problem.)

(Based on (re-reading) your crit here ... between the lines (haha)), I think I can 'enunciate' that I feel the female vox 'overpowers' the mix (in sections, too)

... and/or the male vox (Philip) became relatively tinny (which I sort of 'discovered', as I try to sing/chant from the head-register  SANS vibrato).

I did not want conflicting elements to dominate the mix.  I discerned it better to let female samples roar, for playfulness sake ... and/or increase the cacaphony/dominance of 'other' elements (I did forget to consider raising the drums (beatscape) ... which seems promising.

Originally, I had a less-vibrato female (daughter) attempt the duet, that was similar in pitch and vibrato, but those samples utterly lacked the 'lover's heart' and weakened the mix, IMO.

IOWS, you've given me utmost confidence to judiciously 'tamper' with the vox samples for this and other mixes (via automation, volume levels, compression, verb-switches, EQ-filters, Melodyne, Nectar)

Raising the drums is also most excellent advice, and may 'make arbitrary 'some of the vibrato, where the pitch issues become dissonant.

'70s ELO (J. Lynne) managed to juggle diverse vocs ... in various manners; operatics, + male choir + Jeff Lynne + backing vocs, etc. but seemed perhaps to 'clarify' the groove pomp (drums and thumpy guitars) a bit ... in order to make a 'wall of music': like in "Mr. Blue Sky".

Philip  

Danny Danzi
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/03/11 20:58:51 (permalink)
Totally with you there Philip on everything you mentioned. The shreak type thing you had mentioned....seemed like it was an artistic take on what you wanted your vocals to sound like, right? Almost like that slightly distorted sort of walkie-talkie type thing? I noticed the male vocal wasn't as clean sounding as the female vocal. I had thought this was done on purpose. Was I correct in thinking this, or was this what you were trying to show me as a problem and I took it as art within the mix?

If by chance I blew it lol....forgive me for that. Whatever you did on that male voice that sort of sounds like an effect, sounded to me like it should have been there and was done in great taste for the song. But if by chance that is one of the problem areas you mentioned to me that you felt you had and this wasn't purposely done, I can give you more insight on that. But I'll wait for you to reply so I know for sure whether or not I blew it. LOL! This has really been a cool thread. Thanks for allowing me to comment, talk to you about this stuff and also listen to the fine piece of music you've presented here. :)

My Site
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/03/11 21:48:19 (permalink)
very interesting information here guys.

If you drink soda, fruit juice, vegetable juice, coffee, tea, alcohol, etc, it all removes the protective coating of mucus that protects your vocal folds. If you drink tea with honey like everyone talks about, which is a myth, it makes MORE mucus. Your best bet, room temp water...no ice. When you sing, before you take a breath of air in, make your abbs hard like you'd make them if someone was gonna hit ya in the gut...and just take a bit more than your normal breath of life in before you sing. This will stop the flood of air from smashing your vocal folds

this is 100% spot on from Danny!  very very true.  room temp water!  no lemon drops or honey or tea.  just water.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1