Catfish-acoustic instrumental

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
RobertB
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11256
2011/11/25 01:06:30 (permalink)

Catfish-acoustic instrumental

My second song this year!! I'm on a roll.
This one was inspired by a backyard catfish fry here in Texas, complete with potato salad, Hushpuppies (which I just can't get in Colorado), plenty of beer, and good times with friends.
It features acoustic guitar, resonator guitar, and my first public outing with the DM6 drum kit triggering EZ Drummer and Session drummer2.
It's kind of a fun little tune, so kick your shoes off, grab a beer, and hopefully enjoy.
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11243952

My Soundclick Page
SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob

36 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/11/25 02:55:29 (permalink)
    A bit early for a beer Bob, but this hit the spot with my cuppa tea Lovely stuff, guitar sounds great I like the sound of those drums too.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/11/25 05:25:02 (permalink)
    Sounds good to me. Like the drum sound, especially the cymbals - nice and clear sounding. For some reason I found myself waiting for someone to break out their harmonica. Seems to me that something like that would sit nicely in this - say from mid to end. Nice though - easy to listen to.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/11/25 08:50:36 (permalink)
    it has that rootsey feel to it. Very organic. 

nice 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/11/25 08:53:48 (permalink)
    I really like that drum sound you have here.
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/11/25 09:26:04 (permalink)
    Hi Robert, this sure tastes like I would hope a Catfish fry does.

Some really good home spun cooking going on here.

I agree the drum sound is great I also like the work you did too it gives it all that juicy flavour.

Nice one.

btw you are still one song up on me this year...

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/11/25 11:20:17 (permalink)
    Hi, buddy!!  I have been in and out of here due to health issues so I missed your first one this year, I guess!  This song would be a good background theme for the "family fish fries" in Missouri with my farmer relatives.  I actually pictured a memory of one when the song started.  YEAH!!!  I like the drums too.  All around emotion evoking tune for me!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/11/25 17:48:18 (permalink)
    Two already this year?  And it's not even December yet!  Way to go!  :)  I'm tickled that you're playing the drums in this.  Aren't they fun??!!  :)  They sound great and most importantly (to me anyway), it sounds like you know what you're doing.  Must be the season for catfish cause they're catching a lot around here these days too.  This sounds like great accompaniment for a fish fry for sure.  Great job.  :)  
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/11/26 08:27:47 (permalink)
    Hi Robert, like it, nice one. Great fun to play along.

Rik
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/11/26 09:43:21 (permalink)
    Hey Robert,
    GREAT tune, love the resonator guitar.  Keep them coming.

Kev

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

bayoubill
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/11/26 12:48:02 (permalink)
    This tune when great with my coffee! I'll give it another listen at halftime with a beer!

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/11/26 13:45:40 (permalink)
    Hello Bob, Great to hear that guitar again. Sweet little acoustic groove. Drums sound just right. I do miss the bass but it's my bias...(not my bass). Sweet playing.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    RobertB
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/11/26 20:58:11 (permalink)

Tea's fine, James.
    You and Larry have been a big inspiration for me to work on my guitar recording technique.
    Glad you liked the guitar sound. Thanks.

Paulo, thanks. I was a little unsure about the drums, but they felt pretty much right, so I ran with them. Funny, in the back of my mind, I could hear a harmonica, too.

Herb, organic...I like that. I resisted the temptation to polish this too much, so as to maintain that backyard flavor. Thanks.

Jamesyoyo, Thanks. That means a lot.

Jonbouy, really glad you like the drum sound. That's encouraging. My timing is still a little sloppy, but I'm working on it. And glad you got that down home flavour.
    I'd never eaten catfish before I moved to Texas, but it's actually pretty tasty. And I love hushpuppies. One of life's simple pleasures.

Warren, hope you're feeleng better, buddy! Glad you were around to check this one out. I'm happy that this stirred some emotions for you. Get-togethers like the one that inspired this tune are definitely good times. Thanks.

Janet,LOL! I don't know how you do it. I get home from work, practice some, then find myself nodding off. Lately, I've been getting home fairly early(around 8:00PM) and still have some energy left. Yes, these drums are fun, and what I really like is that if I feel like playing late at night, I can. I particularly enjoy playing along with youtube videos. How are you getting along with yours?
    Thanks for listening.

Hey Rik. Glad you like this. It is a fun little riff to play, isn't it?
    And my timing is every bit as bad as yours.
    Thanks.

Kev, thanks man. I stumbled across the basic riff while I was waiting for the resonator to get here. I've wanted one forever, and finally got this cheap ($160) Rogue. It's a surprisingly decent little guitar. I recorded this track with a glass slide, but I just got a heavy brass slide, which sounds a lot better.
    At this rate, I figure I should have another song out around June.

Bill, coffee... beer, it's all good. Glad you enjoyed this.

Rick,yeah, it's been a while, but I have been in an acoustic frame of mind lately. I seem to go through cycles where I dive into one thing or another. This groove is one that just feels good to play. I can have a bad day at work, come and play this, and be in a much better mood. Funny you mention bass. I can't seem to do a bass line to save my life. But there is a bass player at work, and we are trying to get together sometime, oif our schedules ever agree. Thanks for checking this out.
    post edited by RobertB - 2011/11/26 21:45:43

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Janet
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/11/26 21:06:13 (permalink)
    Bob, I think you work much longer hours than I do.  Although I guess I have some long days too.  When I'm in the middle of a piece, it's terrible, cause that's about all I can think about, and getting back to the studio is my main focus of the day.  Terrible habit, this music stuff. 

That's funny you talk about playing late at night.  So true...except my hubby says it still sounds funny hearing the thump, thump of the sticks.  :)  But yeah, I've played in church a few times and the music-teacher piano player is impressed.  Nothing fancy, for sure...just try not to screw up the beat.  Or lose the sticks too often.  Youtube sounds good...I need to do that too.  I've got a new teacher that I hope will help get me to the next level.  

Keep up the great work!  :) 
    RobertB
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/11/26 21:26:43 (permalink)
    Janet

Bob, I think you work much longer hours than I do.  Although I guess I have some long days too.  When I'm in the middle of a piece, it's terrible, cause that's about all I can think about, and getting back to the studio is my main focus of the day.  Terrible habit, this music stuff. 

That's funny you talk about playing late at night.  So true...except my hubby says it still sounds funny hearing the thump, thump of the sticks.  :)  But yeah, I've played in church a few times and the music-teacher piano player is impressed.  Nothing fancy, for sure...just try not to screw up the beat.  Or lose the sticks too often.  Youtube sounds good...I need to do that too.  I've got a new teacher that I hope will help get me to the next level.  

Keep up the great work!  :) 

I've worked some crazy hours, for sure. August and September, we were doing 6 days a week, 7AM to 10 or 11PM. Now I get off at 7 or 8 PM and it feels pretty darn good.
    On losing the sticks, yeah I used to do that to the point where it was distracting. I got some rubber core sticks from Zildjian at GC. They come in different diameters. I have fairly large hands, and I just couldn't hold on to the small diameter sticks that came with my kit, so I got a larger size. The rubber core balances the rebound, and helps immensely in keeping them from flying away. You can get a pair for about $12. Well worth it.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Janet
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/11/26 21:30:02 (permalink)
    Glad you're getting more close to normal hours now!

Those sticks sound good.  Maybe I could try to strap them on my hands or something.  :)  
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/11/26 22:08:58 (permalink)
    ROGUE . . . that was going to be my next question. Sounds great in the mix and around $160 bucks.  I think I know what I want for Christmas. On my third listen. KUDOS, my friend!

Kev

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

RobertB
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/11/26 23:09:17 (permalink)
    Kev,
    I got the Triolian Biscuit resonator. It is based on a National design.
    See it here:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/rogue-triolian-biscuit-cone-resonator-guitar/519191000010000
    It's gone up a bit, but still not bad. Now $199. I fitted mine with a set of D'Addario EXP42 Resophonic strings. The ones it ships with are junk. It ships with the strings and truss rod slightly slack. You'll need an allen wrench to tighten the truss rod. A few turns should do. DO NOT mess with the bridge. The action is a little high, but it's really intended for slide, so that's ok. It can be played fretted, but takes a little effort. I lowered the bridge, and it really affected the tone and sustain. I t sounded much better before I did that. You are hearing it on this track after I messed with the bridge. I also recommend the Dunlop "Harris"230/231/232 slide. It is a fairly heavy, curved brass slide, and is a good fit for the neck. Merry Christmas.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/11/27 06:05:50 (permalink)
    Perfect for a fish fry! Has that Cajun vibe to it. Loved it!!!!

String Jammer
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/11/27 06:12:29 (permalink)

Smokin' performances on this Bob.

Mix is perfect too.

I can see this sitting comfortably on an album alongside Fishing Buchanan Creek (still one of my all-time 'forum' favourites) and Cypress Drift

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/11/27 09:47:23 (permalink)
    I grabbed a beer and then realized that I had just gotten out of bed, so I had to put it back :-(

All you need is love, just ask the Beatles?
    ----------
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/11/27 10:27:57 (permalink)
    Whoa slow down! 2nd this year? You're making me look bad! ;-)

Loved, loved, loved the feel of this. Just a great beat and vibe. Awesome!
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/11/27 17:23:38 (permalink)
    Nice stuff! I really enjoyed this. Nice mood music for a party for sure!

Well done!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/11/27 19:07:01 (permalink)
    Excellent tune 'Catfish Bob'!! Good stage name huh??

The down-home, foot-stompin' vibe always does it for me!

I keep threatening to get a resonator geetar some day, and after hearing this, just might.

This was a treat. Nice to hear you pick up the acoustic again and capture the moment!

Someday we've got to get together buddy!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    RobertB
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/11/27 23:31:20 (permalink)

Scotty, I coudn't put my finger on where this was coming from. Not really blues or country or bluegrass. But the Cajun connection, yeah.. that's it. Thanks a lot!!!

Steve, I have wanted to get my hands on a resonator ever since I heard Kenny's Dobro licks on Fishing Buchanan Creek. It feels good to hear that this could sit next to that, my own personal high bar. That means a lot. Thanks.

Robby, you know, it's not just for breakfast any more. Thanks for listening.

Dave, LOL. At the rate I'm going, I could put an album together around 2045.
    Glad this worked for you. Thanks.

Robert,thanks, and good to see you hanging around the songs forum.

Larry, verrry good to hear from you. "Catfish Bob"...I love it. I go through cycles, and lately I have to pick up the acoustic every night, even for a few minutes, just to play it.
    Then I pick up the reso, and play it for a while. I also got a lap steel a few weeks ago. That's a whole new ball game, but a real blast to play. I'm still learning my way around that one.
    I'd love to get together with you on something. Drop me a note.
    Thanks for checking this out.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    RobertB
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/12/04 22:28:40 (permalink)
    Rick (No How) got me thinkin'.
    If any of you bass players out there have an idea for a bass line, I'd be interested in hearing what you've got.
    Send me a PM.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/12/04 22:47:26 (permalink)
    Oh yea those are some smooth tones, is that Dobro? So funky..Love it

Me

radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/12/04 22:57:31 (permalink)
     Hey Robert that drum sound grabbed me right away , I like it ! The whole song has that pass me over the beer , BQ Baby Back ribs dripping in BQ sauce  feeling about it .

Now I'm getting hungry !

Nice job keep them coming ! Radio

gcolbert
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1176
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/12/04 23:34:02 (permalink)
    Don't know how you would do it, but this piece needs a little harmonica and some squeze box - kinda zydeco style - about half way through it.  Colorado must have you a bit too far north.  Fun listening, and yes it does go well with a beer.

Glen
    rhynosynth
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 520
    Re:Catfish-acoustic instrumental 2011/12/04 23:46:23 (permalink)
    Hey Bob. This is fantastic. Tasty performances and I think the mix is really great. Never attended a catfish fry but listening to this makes me want to. I love that that's the inspiration here.  If you were to add bass I'm thinking something simple along the lines of what John Paul Jones did for Bron Y Aur stomp off Zep III.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1