CbB issue: VST plugins causing permanent hang during song load

Author
jasonhalogen
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2018/08/25 02:57:45 (permalink)

CbB issue: VST plugins causing permanent hang during song load

Hi - just started using the new Bandlab version on Cakewalk (upgraded from X1), and I'm having the following issue:

Program scans all plugins without a problem, but when I try and open a project file, the plugin loading process will usually hang on a plugin and seem like it's loading that particular plugin forever. The song will never open. This problem exists with both songs that I've worked on and saved in CbB and song that I'm loading in the new program for the first time.

The only solution I've found is to note the hanging plugin, open the songs in X1, delete the plugin from whichever channel it occupies, then try again in CbB - of course, once one plugin is eliminated it'll often pick another one to hang on, and when the song is finally open I've got a good 20 minutes of putting them back in place to deal with.

Any ideas?

6 Replies Related Threads

JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re: CbB issue: VST plugins causing permanent hang during song load 2018/08/25 19:27:43 (permalink)
    What's the plugin?  Is it properly activated?  (Make sure it's not waiting for a response in a window hidden behind the CbB one... Yep, that's a common problem, particularly, it seems, with IKM plugins).

Also, start CbB with "Run as Administrator" and see if that makes a difference.

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    jasonhalogen
    Re: CbB issue: VST plugins causing permanent hang during song load 2018/08/25 22:51:29 (permalink)
    Ooooo, good idea with the admin run. The plugin in question varies, but it seems like it's generally a Waves plug. 

As for the hidden window, I see two windows opening in the lower right half of the screen so far in my use of CbB - one scanning the plugins, which reports that it's working fine, then the window that reports on opening the plugins for the projects themselves, and that's the one that hangs. Is there another window that might be hidden?

Thanks for the response!
    jasonhalogen
    Re: CbB issue: VST plugins causing permanent hang during song load 2018/08/28 00:25:52 (permalink)
    Sadness. Tried the admin run, didn't change anything... unfortunately I'm in the middle of a bunch of projects and can't really take the time to jump back and forth between the two, so it's back to X1 for now.

Did have a thought though, if anyone's still reading - is CbB supposed to be able to handle 32-bit plugins *at all*? A lot of the Waves plugs are in the x86 Program Files folder. They work fine in X1 64.

If it can't and that's the problem, then I'm just a dummy. Which is fine. 
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: CbB issue: VST plugins causing permanent hang during song load 2018/08/28 00:50:42 (permalink)
    jasonhalogen
    Did have a thought though, if anyone's still reading - is CbB supposed to be able to handle 32-bit plugins *at all*? A lot of the Waves plugs are in the x86 Program Files folder. They work fine in X1 64.

Yes, CbB includes BitBridge just like X1. In fact, BitBridge is a shared utility. This means if CbB is installed on the machine running X1 both CbB and X1 are running the BitBridge installed by CbB.

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: CbB issue: VST plugins causing permanent hang during song load 2018/08/28 01:15:27 (permalink)
    Are you sure this is a 32bit issue? Doesn't Waves have 64bit versions of all their plug-ins? Moreover starting with SONAR X3 and Waves v9.6 you should be using the 64bit VST3 versions of their plug-ins. They are one of the manufacturers that support VST3 migration.
    Dilaco1
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 150
    Re: CbB issue: VST plugins causing permanent hang during song load 2018/08/29 13:03:46 (permalink)
    I recently updated my Waves 32 bit plugins to the latest versions which include 64 bit. I also purchased a few new Waves plugins. I was surprised to see that the 64 bit versions still default to the x86 Program Files folder. 

Cakewalk by Bandlab; RME Fireface 800 audio interface; Windows 7 (64bit);
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1