Helpful ReplyCbB more stable than Platinum? So far - yes

Author
gmp
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1033
2018/04/13 05:07:50 (permalink)

CbB more stable than Platinum? So far - yes

I've been using CbB for 4 days and so far am surprised how stable it is compared to Platinum. I would have gotten about 3-4 crashes by now and some that would require a reboot. Has anyone else noticed more stability?

IN the Fall when Cakewalk went out of business, I decided to return to the most stable version of Splat which for me was 2017.01. I had an image file that had all the Win updates on that date. I turned off all Win updates so there would be no more variables. 

Using V-Vocal I was getting about 3 or so crashes a week with none requiring a reboot. I was getting far more crashes with more current Splat versions. So I'm really surprised that this week using CbB, which is the latest version of Splat with some new bug fixes,  I used V-Vocal a lot this week with only 1 crash, which I was able to reopen Splat right away with no reboot.

For testing purposes I'll try about 2 more weeks or so then I'll do all the current Win updates and try that for a few weeks and see if that causes instability. If it doesn't I'll then update my MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface and see how that affects stability.

I'd like to know if anyone knows what bug fixes and improvements to stability was done with CbB and if anyone else has noticed stability improvements

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
http://gprecordingstudio.com/
Album Productions and Songwriter Resources
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
iRelevant
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 430
Re: CbB more stable than Platinum? So far - yes 2018/04/14 23:54:28 (permalink)
My answer would be no.

As a 32-bit man, I've had a crash everyday the last 4 days since install. This didn't happen that frequently in SPLAT. It looks like it is connected to the BitBridge.exe component, and my 32 bit plugs. It's not catastrophic however, as it mainly happens when I'm shutting down or opening the DAW and no work have been lost. I expect it to become more robust going forward. At the moment I'm working on former Sonar VS projects, and becoming a x64 convert is not an option. 

Otherwise i feel it has become more responsive and "faster" in the latest release, and the future looks bright. 

Edit : May I ask if there is some consensus as to whether the 2017.01 release is the most "stable" release or is this based on your personal experience ? 

OS:Win7x64 SP1 CPU:i5/8GB/SSD DAWs : CbB, FLS, SO2, (Reaper) etc. To much Gear, not enough wires. 
My Music : BandLab  https://www.bandlab.com/irelevant BandCamp : https://irelevant.bandcamp.com
noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: CbB more stable than Platinum? So far - yes 2018/04/15 00:08:35 (permalink)
gmp
I've been using CbB for 4 days and so far am surprised how stable it is compared to Platinum. I would have gotten about 3-4 crashes by now and some that would require a reboot. Has anyone else noticed more stability?

IN the Fall when Cakewalk went out of business, I decided to return to the most stable version of Splat which for me was 2017.01. I had an image file that had all the Win updates on that date. I turned off all Win updates so there would be no more variables. 

Using V-Vocal I was getting about 3 or so crashes a week with none requiring a reboot. I was getting far more crashes with more current Splat versions. So I'm really surprised that this week using CbB, which is the latest version of Splat with some new bug fixes,  I used V-Vocal a lot this week with only 1 crash, which I was able to reopen Splat right away with no reboot.

For testing purposes I'll try about 2 more weeks or so then I'll do all the current Win updates and try that for a few weeks and see if that causes instability. If it doesn't I'll then update my MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface and see how that affects stability.

I'd like to know if anyone knows what bug fixes and improvements to stability was done with CbB and if anyone else has noticed stability improvements

I have also found the new Bandlab Cakewalk version to be very stable . . . when I see you mentioning V-Vocal . . . all I can say is I've never found the V-Vocal plugin to be stable in any of the newer Sonar releases, so admittedly when I moved to Melodyne, crashing was less, but caused by different reasons, where there are workarounds.

Wasn't V-Vocal in it's prime almost 10 years ago ?

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: CbB more stable than Platinum? So far - yes 2018/04/15 03:37:09 (permalink)
Too soon to say here. It seem to work fine, but time will tell more.
Phoen1xPJ
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 255
Re: CbB more stable than Platinum? So far - yes 2018/04/15 04:16:54 (permalink)
No crashes yet! Haven't tried V-Vocal but have use Melodyne extensively. Super stable for me!

Yours With a Song,
Phoen1x

Wayfarer Station Micro Studio including:
*new* Cakewalk by BandLab
Intel Core i5 quad core 3.10 GHz
ASUStek P8B75-M mobo
32 GB Mushkin Blackline RAM
NVidia GeForce 210 1 GB vid card
(2) 1 TB HD & (1) 500 GB HD
*new* Win 10 Pro 64 bit
Echo Layla 24 PCI audio interface (faster than USB!)
Tascam US-224 control surface (with jog/shuttle wheel, impossible to find elsewhere)
MIDIMan 2X2 MIDI interface
...not bleeding edge but vintage rockin' 

http://verticalalignment.rocks/

gmp
Re: CbB more stable than Platinum? So far - yes 2018/04/15 04:22:37 (permalink)
iRelevant
My answer would be no.

As a 32-bit man, I've had a crash everyday the last 4 days since install. This didn't happen that frequently in SPLAT. It looks like it is connected to the BitBridge.exe component, and my 32 bit plugs. It's not catastrophic however, as it mainly happens when I'm shutting down or opening the DAW and no work have been lost. I expect it to become more robust going forward. At the moment I'm working on former Sonar VS projects, and becoming a x64 convert is not an option. 

Otherwise i feel it has become more responsive and "faster" in the latest release, and the future looks bright. 

Edit : May I ask if there is some consensus as to whether the 2017.01 release is the most "stable" release or is this based on your personal experience ? 

Since you're 32-bit, I have a feeling your experiences are going to be different. I assume you mean you're using 32 bit Splat or CbB. I'm using 64 bit, yet there are some 32 bit soft synths and plugins that I use that are automatically converted using bitbridge.

It took me a long time to finally go to 64 bit Splat. It was a painful transition, so I can understand why you're still there. I had to find alternatives to some plugins since not all 32 bit plugins work with bitbridge. I still have a few old 32 bit projects that resurface from time to time. If I load those projects in 64 bit, then I get this screen with tons of missing plugins.

As far as a consensus on 2017.01, I';m not sure if others would agree with me. I just found it to be true - so it's personal experience only. But now that CbB is working really well, I'm beginning to wonder if it wasn't Splat but either Win updates or my audio interface software I was using in Jan 2017. Over the next month or 2 I'll find out the answer.

My current suspicion is now my MOTU Ultralte AVB software. I love the box but am not at all impressed with MOTU's dedication to serving the PC world. They come from the MAC world and seem to be lacking in PC expertise.

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
gmp
Re: CbB more stable than Platinum? So far - yes 2018/04/15 04:33:18 (permalink)
noynekker
gmp

I have also found the new Bandlab Cakewalk version to be very stable . . . when I see you mentioning V-Vocal . . . all I can say is I've never found the V-Vocal plugin to be stable in any of the newer Sonar releases, so admittedly when I moved to Melodyne, crashing was less, but caused by different reasons, where there are workarounds.

Wasn't V-Vocal in it's prime almost 10 years ago ?

Yes V-Vocal was a Roland product and it's not supported anymore. Actually I've found quite a few workarounds that make it work pretty well. Currently I'm not getting anymore crashes that require a reboot.

The crashes now only require me to double click on the CWP file name I was working on and CbB opens up right away. I lose about 10 sec. I have a SSD for my OS and one for my samples, yet I found that if I either disconnect or freeze all soft synths V-Vocal works a heck of a lot better, way more stable.So this is another reason why after a crash I can reopen the project very quickly.

I tried Melodyne, but miss several things in V-Vocla so went back to it. One day I'll probably be forced to drop V-Vocal, but for now I'm pleased. 

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
stickman393
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1528
Re: CbB more stable than Platinum? So far - yes 2018/04/15 07:02:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby backwoods 2018/04/15 09:32:09
>> Wasn't V-Vocal in it's prime almost 10 years ago ?

So was I, but I'm still here. And I still use V-Vocal. 
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: CbB more stable than Platinum? So far - yes 2018/04/15 09:32:34 (permalink)
stickman393

Yep. So do I.

Bristol_Jonesey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: CbB more stable than Platinum? So far - yes 2018/04/15 09:56:12 (permalink)
backwoods
stickman393

Yep. So do I.

Likewise

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
iRelevant
Re: CbB more stable than Platinum? So far - yes 2018/04/15 12:28:34 (permalink)
gmp
iRelevant
My answer would be no.

Since you're 32-bit, I have a feeling your experiences are going to be different. I assume you mean you're using 32 bit Splat or CbB. I'm using 64 bit, yet there are some 32 bit soft synths and plugins that I use that are automatically converted using bitbridge.

It took me a long time to finally go to 64 bit Splat. It was a painful transition, so I can understand why you're still there. I had to find alternatives to some plugins since not all 32 bit plugins work with bitbridge. I still have a few old 32 bit projects that resurface from time to time. If I load those projects in 64 bit, then I get this screen with tons of missing plugins.

As far as a consensus on 2017.01, I';m not sure if others would agree with me. I just found it to be true - so it's personal experience only. But now that CbB is working really well, I'm beginning to wonder if it wasn't Splat but either Win updates or my audio interface software I was using in Jan 2017. Over the next month or 2 I'll find out the answer.

My current suspicion is now my MOTU Ultralte AVB software. I love the box but am not at all impressed with MOTU's dedication to serving the PC world. They come from the MAC world and seem to be lacking in PC expertise.

I see. Thank you very much for your time and response.  

OS:Win7x64 SP1 CPU:i5/8GB/SSD DAWs : CbB, FLS, SO2, (Reaper) etc. To much Gear, not enough wires. 
My Music : BandLab  https://www.bandlab.com/irelevant BandCamp : https://irelevant.bandcamp.com
gmp
Re: CbB more stable than Platinum? So far - yes 2018/04/17 04:29:15 (permalink)
6 days of using CbB and same story - it's more stable than SPlat with my computer. If anyone is hesitating to try it, keep in mind it's from what I can tell exactly like the latest version of Splat. When you install it, you can still run Splat too if you find any problems.

I'm a happy camper using the latest version instead of 2017.01 like I was stuck using.

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
TStorms
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 336
Re: CbB more stable than Platinum? So far - yes 2018/04/17 05:01:59 (permalink)
I've had some issues with Cakewalk - never ending or crashing VST scan, unrecognized VSTs in existing projects and a couple other hangs. I haven't used Cakewalk a lot yet but all the things that are not working correctly used to (and still do) work in Sonar. Always my first diagnostic question: what changed? I can say that the VSTs and projects have NOT changed but the program has... 

Hipatitis (n): Terminal coolness. 

Platinum on Win 7 Intel i7 870 8GB Ram Crucial SSD WD Raptor 10K RPM TC Electronic StudioKonnekt48 Akai MPK49
iRelevant
Re: CbB more stable than Platinum? So far - yes 2018/04/17 10:17:32 (permalink)
Maybe I got up on the wrong leg this morning, but about the x64 bit only thing. 
I'm not a fan, but I see it is where we are moved by force ... from all angles ... HW, SW, etc.
What I find a bit hard to believe is why, why ? is it so difficult to provide bullet proof backward 32-bit VST/DX stability ? Why is it even an issue ? Why has the market created a need for JBridge ... Why ? 
What is it I don't understand ? 

MANTRASKY
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 170
Re: CbB more stable than Platinum? So far - yes 2018/04/17 10:40:46 (permalink)
I always hope for the best with Cakewalk Sonar but after having a lot of sudden “Crashes” after Many years trying to work through it? Everyone has different experience with the software, like many I use mostly great 3rd party plugs-in’s (Fab/NuGen/Softube/UAD etc.) going to Studio One has been such a delight, I seem to still have this fear of projects Locking-up and constant “save” although since using the new S1 for these months have been “flawless” I know Nothing is perfect and I’m still in Reserve with CbB. I’ve downloaded the New Cakewalk and we’ll see, again hoping for the best!

jgarland
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 147
Re: CbB more stable than Platinum? So far - yes 2018/04/17 17:33:23 (permalink)
CbB is definitely more stable for me. Sonar would invariably crash when working extended times (1 hour plus). So far CbB has not.

Placebo effect? 

Cakewalk by BandLab, Asrock X399 Fatal1ty, TR 1950X, Enermax TR4 360 AIO Cooler, G.Skill Flare X F4-3200C14Q--32GFX RAM, HAF 932 advanced case, Seasonic 1000 SSR-1000TD psu, 960 EVO 1TB & 250GB NVMe pcie SSD, 850 EVO 1TB (data), Gigabyte GTX 1080, Saffire Pro 26, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, empty wallet :)
Midiboy
  • Total Posts : 414
Re: CbB more stable than Platinum? So far - yes 2018/04/17 17:38:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cactus Music 2018/04/17 19:45:05
CbB is 64bit only.  Period.  Why should a company still support 32bit?  32bit is ancient and only keeps the market from progressing how it should.  Memory management is the main reason not to stay 32bit.  32bit programs cannot access all available memory.  This seriously limits the software, and the PC as a whole not to be able to do this.  

I gave up on all of my 32bit plugins.  I have found plenty of plugins that can replace those old 32bit ones and have had no problems with any of them.  

----
Gregg
Midiboy Music
www.facebook.com/midiboygregg

Win10x64 (Eng), Sonar Platinum x64 (Eng w/ lifetime updates), 32GB DDR4 RAM, Intel i7 5820, nVidia 960, Alesis MultiMix 8 USB2 w/ Alesis MultiMix driver. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88, Korg NanoControl.
stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re: CbB more stable than Platinum? So far - yes 2018/04/17 18:08:42 (permalink)
I see no difference at all. I have been going back and forth. Using the same projects in each. Then switching projects, so forth and so on. Both operate the exact same for me....I consider that a good thing also....

Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: CbB more stable than Platinum? So far - yes 2018/04/17 19:53:59 (permalink)
For me it is more stable for sure. I was getting crashes if I didn't keep saving my work every dozen or more edits. I got used to this but sometimes I'd forget and boom,, there goes the last 15 minutes of work again.. 
I also got freeze up's after I would export a song. Thank goodness it was already saved. 

So same system, same everything, no more crashes no more freeze ups. And even though I still beleieve in saving as you work I certainly have gone for long periods now where I forgot and nothing happened. It's about time too! 
Noel said that there were some changes to the core that made CbB more compatable with W10. This is most likely why we are seeing this improvement. 

And sorry to hear some are not happy about 32 bit, I too had a few favourites but they are now replaced and by what turns out to be better stuff, so get over it soon as nobody really will care anymore. Like people who use Windows XP because they chouldn't change. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

poetnprophet
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 128
Re: CbB more stable than Platinum? So far - yes 2018/04/17 20:32:19 (permalink)
I personally can't say that CbB is more stable.  I do notice it starts up a little bit faster than before, and plugins will pop up a little faster.  However I still get crashes if I try to "do too much"...whatever that is, just something I've come to accept with my system in terms of what plugs I can load/when, what editing I can do relative to CPU usage, etc.  Also, I have noticed that I get more audio dropouts....but I also know i'm running my system to the absolute max, but it just "seems" like it's more now.  I don't use anything 32 bit (I don't think I do) so I can't comment on that.

Cakewalk by Bandlab
i7 8700k, 32GB, Win 10pro
MOTU 828es, VS700(idle)
Hulk 990, NT1A
Slate Digital, Izotope, Waves
www.kdubbproductions.com
https://www.bandlab.com/kdubbproductions 
gmp
Re: CbB more stable than Platinum? So far - yes 2018/04/18 04:19:44 (permalink)

I started all new projects as 64 bit about a year and a half ago. I didn't like leaving Lexicon Pantheon reverb behind plus several other nice plugins, but I found good replacements, including Breverb instead of the Lexicon. I figured it was just a matter of time before 32 bit would start holding me back and causing problems. Man I sure glad I did it, considering CbB is only 64 bit. 

For anyone that made the transition, I doubt if anyone will care. I still have quite a few old projects that are 32 bit and will be glad when they are done. When I need to work on them, I simply open Splat 32 bit and it works just fine. All the plugins work. Yet if I open the same project in 64 bit I get a screen of many missing plugins. I purposely stopped updating my 32 bit Splat, since it was really only for old projects that were fine with the old versions. 

Sometimes on a 32 bit project if it hasn't been mixed, then I'll just open the 32 bit project, hit Control-A and Control-C, then open my 64 bit template and paste all the tracks to the 64 bit project and finish it in 64 bit. I'm sure through the years I'll have to use 32 bit when revisiting these old projects, but am perfectly content to use my old 32 bit Splat and not use CbB.

My advice to those hanging on to 32 bit, is start pondering a transition to 64 bit. There's no huge hurry, carefully work this out. Splat 32 bit is working fine, but one day you'll be glad you did the transition to 64 bit. When you're ready, just start all new projects in 64 bit CbB and use 32 bit for the old projects. As time passes hopefully opening 32 bit will become a rarity.

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
gmp
Re: CbB more stable than Platinum? So far - yes 2018/04/18 04:35:08 (permalink)
Cactus Music
For me it is more stable for sure. I was getting crashes if I didn't keep saving my work every dozen or more edits. I got used to this but sometimes I'd forget and boom,, there goes the last 15 minutes of work again.. 
I also got freeze up's after I would export a song. Thank goodness it was already saved. 

So same system, same everything, no more crashes no more freeze ups. And even though I still beleieve in saving as you work I certainly have gone for long periods now where I forgot and nothing happened. It's about time too! 
Noel said that there were some changes to the core that made CbB more compatable with W10. This is most likely why we are seeing this improvement. 

And sorry to hear some are not happy about 32 bit, I too had a few favourites but they are now replaced and by what turns out to be better stuff, so get over it soon as nobody really will care anymore. Like people who use Windows XP because they chouldn't change. 

I'm glad you mentioned about Noel making changes to the core making CbB more compatible with Win 10. It seems I heard some fleeting reference to some stability improvements  and even some new minor features or improvements. I'd like to see a list of what has changed, so far haven't found one. 

I'm glad to see others have notice the stability improvements. What was really driving me crazy was when Splat would crash and close and then yo couldn't open it again until you either waited a long time or rebooted. This was a major PITA and was primarily why i reverted to 2017.01. 

After 3 weeks of using CbB, I'll do all the Win updates and see if I still have the stability and use that about 3 weeks, then I'll try the new software for my MOTU Ultralite and see if the stability is still there. Stability is waaay more important to me than new features. I hope CbB stays on this path.

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1