CbB on Second Computer

Author
Johnbee58
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 946
2018/10/05 14:49:14 (permalink)

CbB on Second Computer

Hi!

I have a dedicated Windows 8 PC in my studio for just making music and it runs well.  Last night I wanted to download and install a copy of CbB on my main PC (Windows 10, which is less than a year old) because I wanted to work on chord progressions in the comfort of my bedroom using Scaler and develop the progressions and send them to my music PC when they're developed enough to turn them into a song.  I had trouble downloading CbB onto the Win 10 computer.  I started by downloading and installing Bandlab Assistant and told it I wanted to install CbB and it started to, but after several minutes the progress bar would not move and it read "Downloading 0/3" and stayed there for an awfully long time.  When it finally did finish it acted like nothing was accomplished and gave me the green "Install" button again, as if I had to start all over.  Any ideas what may have caused this?
I think I only chose to install the app and the instrument package because I mainly just wanted a DAW to run Scaler in as Scaler apparently offers no standalone.

John B.

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007

11 Replies Related Threads

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: CbB on Second Computer 2018/10/05 19:13:45 (permalink)
    The Bandlab assistant sometimes hangs up. The biggest issue is it doesn't seem to use any sort of download management. So it either works or it doesn't. There's no way to really check what is going on.  I've had the same issue as you when performing updates. No feedback on if it's running or hung up. When it works it works fine and doesn't take very long to update. Generally you need to use the latest Bandlab Assistant.

Just try it again, this sucks if your on limited bandwith but they seem to have no interest in worrying about that minority of users. Still no offline activation.

I figured out how to save the executable file to use again on a second computer , but that was a long time ago so sorry I forget the details.
    I think it was a matter of copying the file from the bandlab download folder before you installed it.

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Johnbee58
    Re: CbB on Second Computer 2018/10/05 20:27:07 (permalink)
    Cactus Music
    The Bandlab assistant sometimes hangs up. The biggest issue is it doesn't seem to use any sort of download management. So it either works or it doesn't. There's no way to really check what is going on.  I've had the same issue as you when performing updates. No feedback on if it's running or hung up. When it works it works fine and doesn't take very long to update. Generally you need to use the latest Bandlab Assistant.

Just try it again, this sucks if your on limited bandwith but they seem to have no interest in worrying about that minority of users. Still no offline activation.

I figured out how to save the executable file to use again on a second computer , but that was a long time ago so sorry I forget the details.
    I think it was a matter of copying the file from the bandlab download folder before you installed it.

This should be addressed!  Given this explanation we are not assured that if we ever need to reformat the HDD or replace the computer with a new one we will be able to get the app again.  Is this a 1 install per account?  If it is, fine, but that should be pointed out in the terms agreement.  My main music computer is fine and I just downloaded an update this morning.  There always is a progress bar there.  This one just flashes Downloading 0/3 over and over forever and no progress bar in site!  I'm just worried that if I ever have to replace my music PC I would no longer be able to download CbB if "conditions" aren't right.

JB

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
    NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
    HIBI
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re: CbB on Second Computer 2018/10/06 05:24:24 (permalink)
    Did you check the download folder? (before clicking the green "Install" button again)
    C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\bandlab-assistant\Downloads
    If there is 'cakewalk.exe', Download has completed. try to run it directly. then relaunch BA after complete install. I think it works.

BTW, it's not 1 install per account. I'm using CbB on two computers (same account).

HIBI (Mad Marsa)     Twitter, Facebook

New official Cakewalk forum.
    About new forum, read this: http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3806006
    Johnbee58
    Re: CbB on Second Computer 2018/10/06 16:26:08 (permalink)
    HIBI
    Did you check the download folder? (before clicking the green "Install" button again)
    C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\bandlab-assistant\Downloads
    If there is 'cakewalk.exe', Download has completed. try to run it directly. then relaunch BA after complete install. I think it works.

BTW, it's not 1 install per account. I'm using CbB on two computers (same account).

Thanks for this.  I did try it but there was no file named cakewalk.exe in the download folder.  I looked up a previous thread about how to find this file and the user says it has to be downloaded in between the download and the install because after the install the file disappears.  I must remember to try this on the next update.

JB

stratman70
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3044
    Re: CbB on Second Computer 2018/10/06 17:18:57 (permalink)
    Hey John

It does work. I have the last 3 saved. I know I do not need the last 3 but I am OCD that way.  :-)
    I also had quite  time, more than once downloading the update. 

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: CbB on Second Computer 2018/10/06 18:41:17 (permalink)
    Johnbee58
    Cactus Music

This should be addressed!  Given this explanation we are not assured that if we ever need to reformat the HDD or replace the computer with a new one we will be able to get the app again.  Is this a 1 install per account?  If it is, fine, but that should be pointed out in the terms agreement.  My main music computer is fine and I just downloaded an update this morning.  There always is a progress bar there.  This one just flashes Downloading 0/3 over and over forever and no progress bar in site!  I'm just worried that if I ever have to replace my music PC I would no longer be able to download CbB if "conditions" aren't right.

JB

No, your fears are unfounded.

I have CdB installed on 2 machines - 0ne running Win 10, the other Win 7 and both install/run perfectly well

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Euthymia
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 223
    Re: CbB on Second Computer 2018/10/07 01:42:12 (permalink)
    Installed on 3 systems and counting. The installer hangs sometimes. I try again later and it's fine, as you found out.

If there were any limitation on the number of installations per user ID, it would be so easily circumvented as to be pointless. All someone would need to do would be to create another BandLab account with another email address.

They're giving it away for free, they want everyone to use it and eventually, I presume, when more BandLab integration features are in place, use them. Or when we get exposed to the new users who need help in the (soon, please, soon) new forum, we can help them find their way around.

-Erik
    Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
    Johnbee58
    Re: CbB on Second Computer 2018/10/21 11:17:06 (permalink)
    Still having trouble with this.  I tried running in Admin mode and disabled my Webroot security program and still it just hang at "downloading 0/3".  I give up!

John B.

HIBI
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re: CbB on Second Computer 2018/10/21 12:56:09 (permalink)
    How it works that try to download ONLY CbB? Hang at "downloading 0/1"?
    (Maybe this is not work but just try.)

BTW, did you get support ticket about this?
    https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

HIBI (Mad Marsa)     Twitter, Facebook

New official Cakewalk forum.
    About new forum, read this: http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3806006
    Johnbee58
    Re: CbB on Second Computer 2018/10/21 23:48:54 (permalink)
    HIBI
    How it works that try to download ONLY CbB? Hang at "downloading 0/1"?
    (Maybe this is not work but just try.)

BTW, did you get support ticket about this?
    https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I've tried that many times.  No luck.  But thanks for suggesting!
    JB

TheSteven
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2037
    Re: CbB on Second Computer 2018/10/22 06:40:53 (permalink)
    I see you've opened 2 threads for same problem.
    I've left comment on other thread.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
    My Tunes
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1