Celloforte - 5 cellos, 2 pianos, and a drumkit

Author
Purple Rhapsody
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 469
2012/05/15 05:37:05 (permalink)

Celloforte - 5 cellos, 2 pianos, and a drumkit

Hi,

I've been listening to The Piano Guys a lot recently (http://youtube.com/thepianoguys) and I love the sound they get by combining a gazillion cello overdubs with some piano and percussion. So I thought to myself "perhaps I should give it a go" and this is the result... Celloforte!

http://snd.sc/LMDKBw

I think I might have pushed the compression too far so comments on that would be welcome. I've also tweaked the 'cello lines a lot using CC11 in East West to make them sound realistic... how far away am I from that?

To replicate this live you'd need 5 cellos, 2 pianos, a drumkit (and a quiet synth bassline that is barely audible).

Cheers,
Terry.

Purple Rhapsody - emotions without words http://purplerhapsody.co.uk/

22 Replies Related Threads

radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:Celloforte - 5 cellos, 2 pianos, and a drumkit 2012/05/15 05:56:28 (permalink)

This sounds great but I think theres too much compression on the Cello , the piano sounded sweet I liked that .
    I think with alittle more balance in the mix this one will be a winner , cool piece of music I liked it .

Radio

malcolmb
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 713
    Re:Celloforte - 5 cellos, 2 pianos, and a drumkit 2012/05/15 07:22:40 (permalink)
    Hi Terry - I love this piece. The contrast between the lyrical passages and the beat passages is exquisite and the pure verve of the music is mesmerising. Orchestral Rock is vastly underrated and pieces like this prove definitively that there is a wealth of outstanding music potential in this genre. Great work.

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory
    GPO, VSL, Music Lab Real Guitar/LPC, EWQLSC, Vocaloid Miriam/Avanna 
    Soundcard - Marian Marc 4 Midi

www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
    www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
    www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Celloforte - 5 cellos, 2 pianos, and a drumkit 2012/05/15 09:23:24 (permalink)
    Bravo, Terry, take a bow.  Your unique style has helped you carve out a niche that few people can occupy.  As far as the cellos go, it's your call whether they're compressed too much or not.  They could be a touch louder, but that's like a chef deciding whether the stew has too much salt or not.  Overall, it is a good piece to listen to.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Purple Rhapsody
    Re:Celloforte - 5 cellos, 2 pianos, and a drumkit 2012/05/15 11:07:42 (permalink)
    Hi,

Thanks everyone for listening and commenting - I say it every time... but I really do appreciate it!

Radio - thanks for the ears on this one. The track is a keeper, i.e. it'll be polished up for my next album (whenever that is) so I'll work on the cello compression and the balance in the mix based on your advice.

Malcolm - thanks for the kind words. Whenever I hear the term "Orchestral Rock" I usually cringe even though it embodies what I love - classical instruments working together with electric/electronic instruments. For this track I tried to avoid the Orchestra Rock cliché by deliberately avoiding the use of virtual cello "sections" and making sure that each patch was a solo cello so that the addition of them all together made it sound more like a group of cellists in a room rather than a lush orchestra (a contrast to the next most recent track on my Soundcloud page - Final Battle - in which I'm deliberately using big string patches which sound quite clichéd at times)

Lynn - Take a bow? Do you mean a cellist's horsehair bow? (I know, it's a lame pun... I'm sorry). I like the idea of being a 'chef' musing over which musical ingredients to emphasise and which seasonings to use to bring out the full flavour! Great metaphor! I'm not sure about my 'unique style' - in my music I hear so many echoes of other people so much better than I, but I'll take it as the compliment it was intended (or at least I think it was a compliment... 'unique' could be used as a veiled insult ;-) ;-)

Thanks again!

Cheers,
    Terry.

foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Celloforte - 5 cellos, 2 pianos, and a drumkit 2012/05/15 14:50:03 (permalink)
    I would reduce the reverb on the once cello that comes in early. The verb makes it sound a bit "midi" when the rest have a smooth warmth to them. I like this piece.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    daryl1968
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re:Celloforte - 5 cellos, 2 pianos, and a drumkit 2012/05/15 16:00:32 (permalink)
    Very nice composition Terry.
    On the 'big' moments everything does sound squashed but that will be an easy fix.
    How about getting an opera singer on this? That would be pretty cool :)
    Purple Rhapsody
    Re:Celloforte - 5 cellos, 2 pianos, and a drumkit 2012/05/17 02:23:00 (permalink)
    Hi,

Thanks again for listening and commenting.

@foxwolfen - do you mean the rhythmic cello, or the first solo line? I think you mean the rhythmic cello but just thought I'd check...

@daryl - thanks! So my cloth-ears weren't completely wrong about the compression :-) I'm intrigued by the suggestion of an opera singer... do you mean to replicate/duplicate some of the cello lines or to do some vibrato warbling over the top (I do know an opera singer but would have no idea what to write for her to sing)

Cheers,
    Terry.

foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Celloforte - 5 cellos, 2 pianos, and a drumkit 2012/05/17 23:31:30 (permalink)
    The first one we hear, which is the rhythmic one now that you mention it.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:Celloforte - 5 cellos, 2 pianos, and a drumkit 2012/05/17 23:35:49 (permalink)
    Wow, I like, it's nice to hear such a different tune on the board.

Loving the dynamics, the piano playing is great and the cello has a realness about.

Now I don't know if it's an over compression problem, my feeling is you have a masking issue, the drums, piano and cello all sit in the same frequency ball park: The Low Mids.

Get a spectrum analyser and see if I am right, also even though I said I don't think you have a compression problem, I would not put compression onto a cello.  It's a dynamic instrument, this is where arranging and producing comes in.

Find away to make the cello shine without compression, maybe bring down the drums slighty.  I was listening to it through my monitors and it was a massive sound but the overall mix was very muddy.

But I think it is a great instrumental, loved the melody and the whole concept.

Neb

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    Purple Rhapsody
    Re:Celloforte - 5 cellos, 2 pianos, and a drumkit 2012/05/19 05:14:26 (permalink)
    Hi,

@foxwolfen - thanks for the clarification

@Neb - thanks for your taking the time to listen and comment. I generally dislike compression in music with "classical" influences so I'll be more than happy to try taking your advice on this one! My production skills may need to step beyond their current level but I'll give it a go!

Cheers,
    Terry.

daryl1968
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re:Celloforte - 5 cellos, 2 pianos, and a drumkit 2012/05/19 05:46:21 (permalink)
    Purple Rhapsody

Hi,

Thanks again for listening and commenting.

@foxwolfen - do you mean the rhythmic cello, or the first solo line? I think you mean the rhythmic cello but just thought I'd check...

@daryl - thanks! So my cloth-ears weren't completely wrong about the compression :-) I'm intrigued by the suggestion of an opera singer... do you mean to replicate/duplicate some of the cello lines or to do some vibrato warbling over the top (I do know an opera singer but would have no idea what to write for her to sing)

Cheers,
    Terry.

Terry
    Maybe sing a variation of the theme.
    She could sing something in Italian - maybe recite the names of the 2006 World Cup winning team :) I was thinking you could use the voice more like another instrument - not so much in your face but dropped back in the mix.
    ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re:Celloforte - 5 cellos, 2 pianos, and a drumkit 2012/05/19 09:08:49 (permalink)
    Yeah, this is great! I really enjoyed it.

I think perhaps some percussion could do wonders here and there.

But overall, it's great!

Compress what you feel is neccesary. To me, nothing sounded to squashed.

Well done!

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    Purple Rhapsody
    Re:Celloforte - 5 cellos, 2 pianos, and a drumkit 2012/05/19 18:01:02 (permalink)
    Hi,

@daryl - I'll mull over your ideas for the opera singer. Usually if I let these things stew for a while something comes to me. :-)

@Mr Larry - Thanks for listening, and for taking the time to comment.

@ProjectM - Glad you enjoyed it! I've tried to limit the percussion on this to just some basic kick and toms so as not to spoil the effect of the piano and cello combination... but I'm itching to put more in there so don't tempt me!

Thanks for listening and commenting!

Cheers,
    Terry.

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Celloforte - 5 cellos, 2 pianos, and a drumkit 2012/05/20 23:21:58 (permalink)
    You've been listening to and watching Jon Schmidt and his amazing videos too, haven't you? You really remind me of him.  Yes, you're that good.  Or better.  I LOVE this one!  I saw it the other day when I was away and couldn't wait to get home to listen to it.  It's even better than I had imagined.  The piano playing is so fantastic I can't find words to express it. Wonderful!!!  :)  Fantastic composition and arrangement too.  Wow!

I think I would make sure the piano doesn't get lost in a few places.  Nothing wrong with letting it shine the whole time, no matter what some others around here think.  :)  (Some of Jon's mixes have had the piano way too prominent, but that's not an issue here.) 

I would try to make the drum sounds more realistic.  Don't ask me how, but surely someone can help with that.  

The cellos sound fantastic too...don't ask me about compression, etc...I just know I love all you did with them. What a great idea to use 5 different ones.  Brilliant!

So yeah, I'm blown away...I absolutely LOVE this!  It also sounds incredibly fun to play.  Have you considered trying to sell sheet music too?  I'm quite serious.  It may start small, but this could really catch on.

Did I say I love it?  :)  One of the best pieces I've ever heard!  
    Janet
    Re:Celloforte - 5 cellos, 2 pianos, and a drumkit 2012/05/20 23:33:48 (permalink)
    Just listened again.  

It ended too soon.  :( 
    kev11111111111111
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1772
    Re:Celloforte - 5 cellos, 2 pianos, and a drumkit 2012/05/21 07:21:07 (permalink)
    Purple Rhapsody

Hi,

I've been listening to The Piano Guys a lot recently (http://youtube.com/thepianoguys) and I love the sound they get by combining a gazillion cello overdubs with some piano and percussion. So I thought to myself "perhaps I should give it a go" and this is the result... Celloforte!

http://snd.sc/LMDKBw

I think I might have pushed the compression too far so comments on that would be welcome. I've also tweaked the 'cello lines a lot using CC11 in East West to make them sound realistic... how far away am I from that?

To replicate this live you'd need 5 cellos, 2 pianos, a drumkit (and a quiet synth bassline that is barely audible).

Cheers,
    Terry.

Nice ideas,love the middle section at 1.40,the piano is beautiful.Makes for a good contrast with busier sections at the beginning and end.Only crit is the drums, not the part they are playing but the way they are mixed.Im sure they could be fixed easily tho :)
    K

notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Celloforte - 5 cellos, 2 pianos, and a drumkit 2012/05/21 09:35:11 (permalink)
    very inventive arrangement... excellent performances... well done Mr. Purple ...
    Purple Rhapsody
    Re:Celloforte - 5 cellos, 2 pianos, and a drumkit 2012/05/21 13:59:06 (permalink)
    Hi,

Janet - yup, Jon Schmidt and his 'cello friend have impressed me no end. Thanks for the expressive compliments, my ego is now bursting and I may not make it out of the front door later due to a massive case of big-headedness (is that a word?). I'll definitely do some work on the drums as that seems to be a common comment, and I'll play about with bringing the piano forward in the mix a little... but then again Lynn said that the cellos needed to be louder! 

As regards sheet music... I'd need to transcribe the music and I'm not sure I've got the time - I do record the MIDI notes that I play but sticking to a rigid 4/4 would be nigh on impossible. I tried it once when someone specifically asked me for one of my pieces but it wasn't a great experience (although I was just trying to use Sonar's built-in score tools).

Kev with all the 1s - thanks Kev. I'm definitely going to take another look at the percussion. Glad you liked the ideas and the contrast.

notnat - thanks Frank. I'm not sure about 'inventive'... having viewed a few of the Piano Guys videos it seemed a little bit derivative to me, but it's all about your point of reference I suppose!

Cheers,
    Terry.

Janet
    Re:Celloforte - 5 cellos, 2 pianos, and a drumkit 2012/05/21 14:02:13 (permalink)
    Yes, big-headedness is a word, but that's not the right word in this case.  :)

Yeah, I thought about transcribing one of mine awhile ago but gave up before I got started.  What a job that would be!  I guess if you could play it pretty close to a set tempo and set it at input quantize, that would help.  But trying to notate when the left hand plays in the treble clef, etc.  Argh...gives me fits just thinking about it.  Well, just an idea. :)  

Btw...to me, what you played on the drums sounds good...but the sounds could be better.  What drum software are you using?  
    Purple Rhapsody
    Re:Celloforte - 5 cellos, 2 pianos, and a drumkit 2012/05/21 14:43:33 (permalink)
    Janet

Btw...to me, what you played on the drums sounds good...but the sounds could be better.  What drum software are you using?  

I used one of the drum kits in EWQL Ministry of Rock and then played about with the sound a bit to make the cymbal less 'clangy' - I also compressed the drums more than anything else to keep them consistent throughout. Makes it sound like I know what I'm doing, huh? I wish I did... I'll go through some more trial and error until I get it right!

Janet
    Re:Celloforte - 5 cellos, 2 pianos, and a drumkit 2012/05/21 15:05:37 (permalink)
    Sounds like me!  lol
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Celloforte - 5 cellos, 2 pianos, and a drumkit 2012/05/21 15:20:03 (permalink)
    Terry this is great as it is.  

If I could perhaps make a suggestion, not that I know anything.

The piano and Cello seem to take the same sound stage perhaps shifting one to one side and the cello to the other, would create some space.  

I am not talking panning more Channel tools to shift the perspective to create the space and let the voices breath.

I did mention it was good didn't I.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1