Helpful ReplyChange from Host-based iLok Registration to Dongle - Anybody Done That?

Author
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
2017/04/17 22:22:25 (permalink)

Change from Host-based iLok Registration to Dongle - Anybody Done That?

Hopefully the subject line says it all.  Anyone here switched their computer-based iLok registrations to a physical dongle?  I suppose it should be straightforward, but it would be nice to get that confirmed.

I'm getting so much stuff now that uses the non-hardware iLok registration that I've actually been thinking that the physical dongle might even be an improvement ... or maybe I'm just getting senile in my advancing years.
Fleer
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: Change from Host-based iLok Registration to Dongle - Anybody Done That? 2017/04/17 22:37:49 (permalink)
Straightforward indeed. First register the dongle to your iLok account. Next you deactivate any plugin from your computer and activate it to your dongle. Easy peasy.

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Change from Host-based iLok Registration to Dongle - Anybody Done That? 2017/04/18 01:31:02 (permalink)
dmbaer
Hopefully the subject line says it all.  Anyone here switched their computer-based iLok registrations to a physical dongle?  I suppose it should be straightforward, but it would be nice to get that confirmed.

I'm getting so much stuff now that uses the non-hardware iLok registration that I've actually been thinking that the physical dongle might even be an improvement ... or maybe I'm just getting senile in my advancing years.

I moved more away from this if I there is a two machine limit.  Melodyne has the iLok option. So if it's on the iLok I'd have to use the dongle if I wanted to switch machines.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Change from Host-based iLok Registration to Dongle - Anybody Done That? 2017/04/18 23:49:06 (permalink)
The OP's question is something I have been considering myself ...
All my i Lock stuff is on one machine ( a placeholder computer w the software / computer version of protection )
My other computer is beefier but it doesn't have enough space to fit all the i lock protected software ...
I'm thinking that once I move away from 2 lap tops and get a desktop I'm gonna want to use a hardware dongle if it's not too big a deal to get up and running ...

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

dmbaer
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: Change from Host-based iLok Registration to Dongle - Anybody Done That? 2017/04/19 22:06:45 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
I'm thinking that once I move away from 2 lap tops and get a desktop I'm gonna want to use a hardware dongle if it's not too big a deal to get up and running ...

I recall with quite a bit of unease my last experience in upgrading my DAW - something I've only done once so far.  It makes me recoil at the thought of ever having to do it again.  It took days (full eight-hour-working-type days) and most of that was getting all the sound software installed and registered.  It made me wish that everything I owned would be on an iLok. 

I've used an eLicenser for some time due to being a Cubase user.  As much as I've always been negative about the use of dongles, I will say that the eLicenser has never caused me to waste a single minute sorting out problems. 

If every company in the world of computer sound production went with iLok, I'd actually be a happy camper.  But that's wishful thinking.  If I have sound software from four dozen companies (and it's actually probably even more), then there are at least twenty different registration/authorization schemes to contend with.
anxiousmofo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 338
Re: Change from Host-based iLok Registration to Dongle - Anybody Done That? 2017/04/19 22:36:24 (permalink)
I did that last December.  Super straightforward and I am less paranoid now about changes to my PC screwing up the computer based auths.

Tangled roots perplex her ways.

Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Windows 10 x64, i7 5820k, Asrock X99 OC Formula, 16 GB Corsair DDR4, Asus STRIX GTX 970,  SSD's for OS and samples, Akai MPK61, and myriad VST's.
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Change from Host-based iLok Registration to Dongle - Anybody Done That? 2017/04/20 01:03:16 (permalink)
Fleer
Straightforward indeed. First register the dongle to your iLok account. Next you deactivate any plugin from your computer and activate it to your dongle. Easy peasy.

Unless the vendor does not allow that. Most should, but buyer beware.
smallstonefan
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2724
Re: Change from Host-based iLok Registration to Dongle - Anybody Done That? 2017/04/20 01:35:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jude77 2017/04/23 23:58:41
dmbaer
kennywtelejazz

I recall with quite a bit of unease my last experience in upgrading my DAW - something I've only done once so far.  It makes me recoil at the thought of ever having to do it again.  It took days (full eight-hour-working-type days) and most of that was getting all the sound software installed and registered.  It made me wish that everything I owned would be on an iLok. 

I've used an eLicenser for some time due to being a Cubase user.  As much as I've always been negative about the use of dongles, I will say that the eLicenser has never caused me to waste a single minute sorting out problems. 

If every company in the world of computer sound production went with iLok, I'd actually be a happy camper.  But that's wishful thinking.  If I have sound software from four dozen companies (and it's actually probably even more), then there are at least twenty different registration/authorization schemes to contend with.

I share your enthusiasm for the iLok. I've never had any real trouble and when I built a new machine the iLok stuff was easy to get going again.
gustabo
  • Total Posts : 2591
Re: Change from Host-based iLok Registration to Dongle - Anybody Done That? 2017/04/22 14:21:27 (permalink)
Just drag it from the computer based section to your dongle, all in ILM.
A breeze!

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1