Changing notes between treble and base

Author
mosk
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 93
2010/12/28 20:50:32 (permalink)

Changing notes between treble and base

In staff view, the music notation seems to default to printing all notes at middle C and above in the treble clef and all notes below that in the base clef.

Is there a way to adjust that, so if notes above middle C are meant to be played by the left hand they can show up in the base clef?

Thanks

9 Replies Related Threads

nprime
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2423
    Re:Changing notes between treble and base 2010/12/28 21:03:39 (permalink)
    Bass clef, please.

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
    Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
    PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:Changing notes between treble and base 2010/12/28 21:18:59 (permalink)
    Find the Layouts button, then choose Staff Properties.  You can choose how each track is displayed, just Treble, or just -um--Bass, or both, as in a piano score.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Changing notes between treble and base 2010/12/28 21:25:52 (permalink)
    Record the bass clef and the treble clef parts on separate tracks. If you record them on the same track, Sonar has no way of knowing which is which so it splits it at middle C. 

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    mosk
    Re:Changing notes between treble and base 2010/12/28 22:28:21 (permalink)
    First off . . .  yeah, bass . . . well, we all have our moments.

As for the main answer - that's a shame.  I can understand how Sonar wouldn't be able to distinguish automatically.  But since you are able to draw in notes in the staff view, seems like an arbitrary/unnecessary decision to for Middle C and up into the treble clef even when you draw it in uh . . . bass.

Thanks for the replies though.

Anyone know if there's any free notation program that would take your midi notes and give you better control of splitting into right and left hands?
    rbowser
    Re:Changing notes between treble and base 2010/12/28 22:32:00 (permalink)
    daveny5

Record the bass clef and the treble clef parts on separate tracks. If you record them on the same track, Sonar has no way of knowing which is which so it splits it at middle C. 

You tell Sonar where you want the split.  The middle C split is just the default.  Right below the box where you choose which staff you want, there's a box where you choose the split point.

Mosk, look again, you'll find the tools you want.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Changing notes between treble and base 2010/12/29 00:03:40 (permalink)
    But since you are able to draw in notes in the staff view, seems like an arbitrary/unnecessary decision to for Middle C and up into the treble clef even when you draw it in

Not if you understand music theory. See the Grand Staff. If you need better control over what goes on each staff, as I said, put each on a separate track or get a program like Finale PrintMusic that let's you control that. 

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    rbowser
    Re:Changing notes between treble and base 2010/12/29 00:09:37 (permalink)
    knock knock-- Mosk, I've already given you the info you need.  In the Layouts menu in the Staff View, you can have the split between the Treble and Bass clef wherever you want it.  C is just the default, as it is for notation programs also.  You don't need separate tracks for Treble and Bass.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    mosk
    Re:Changing notes between treble and base 2011/01/01 03:33:23 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info.  I see where you can choose your split point, and practically speaking, that will fix a good deal of the problem in this particular instance.  Splitting onto different tracks could also offer some extra flexibility at times.

Still, there are plenty of instances (at least in playing the piano), when some of those notes just above or below Middle C are played by the opposite hand, and it would be nice to be able to drag notes to the desired hand in those instances.  
    Rus W
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re:Changing notes between treble and base 2011/01/01 18:55:39 (permalink)
    mosk

Thanks for the info.  I see where you can choose your split point, and practically speaking, that will fix a good deal of the problem in this particular instance.  Splitting onto different tracks could also offer some extra flexibility at times.

Still, there are plenty of instances (at least in playing the piano), when some of those notes just above or below Middle C are played by the opposite hand, and it would be nice to be able to drag notes to the desired hand in those instances.  

I concur with rbowser as well, but to answer your question because splitting the clefs into tracks is still an option:

What I would recommend in transposing for notes out of practice (reading/performance) range. Middle C is designated as C5 (varies with other apps, but C5 is the usual default) The note itself can be played in either clef, but if you play an "A", (Major 6th above) (for example) this would be very high for the bass clef. (Three ledger lines and a space)

However, if you were to transpose the clef upwards an octave, that same F will appear on the second line from the top in the bass clef. IOW, transposing will show notes in clef range though playing (sounding) out of range. Make sure you note the transposing to the performers though. This will work for notes that are too low in practice with the treble clef. There are tthe 8va/15va clefs respectively,, but they won't work necessarily in your case.

Another instance for transposing would be working with bass lines that have very low notes (I do this often). If I were a performer reading it - or just reading it -- period -- I'd want to see it on the staff. For me, anything below A (Minor sixth below F), warrants transposing. Here, I would write the notes on the staff, then transpose them down an octave (8va clef)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1