Changing the buffer size in Asio driver mode

Author
Thaddeus Cahill
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
2009/04/26 06:45:10 (permalink)

Changing the buffer size in Asio driver mode

As I understand it, when you use Asio drivers, you must change the buffer size in the sound cards Asio control panel instead of the using the buffer slider. However, when I try to change the buffer size via the Asio panel in my M-Audio ProFire 610 while Sonar is running, the controls (buffer size, sample rate, etc.) are grayed out (non-operational,) Therefore I have to close Sonar then open the ProFire control panel (at which point the controls are accessible) and make the requisite changes and then reopen Sonar. So my question is this: Is that normal? Do other sound cards allow you to change the buffer size while Sonar is running? And for those of you who use the ProFire 610, do you experience the same thing or is this just a problem with my system? I would appreciate any help/feedback because A: I'm trying to learn as much about this kind of stuff as I can, and B: it is quite a hassle having to close and reopen Sonar every time I want to change the buffer size.

And on a similar note, the bit depth control in the options > audio dialog box is also grayed out, and that's not something I can change via my sound cards software control panel (whether Sonar's running or not.) I remember changing it at one point from 16 to 24 bit (where it is currently stuck) but I don't remember how. I guess it wasn't grayed out at the time. Any thoughts on that? I guess I could temporarily switch to another driver mode and see if the control then becomes operational again and if so then change it and then go back to Asio mode. But again this seems like an unnecessary hassle. Again, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
post edited by Thaddeus Cahill - 2009/04/26 06:55:39

Gateway LX6810-01
Vista HP 64 w SP1
Intel Core2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache/ 8GB 800MHz DDR2 Ram/ 640GB 7200RPM SATA II hard drive w 16MB Cache4
Systemboard w NVIDIA nForce 720i Chipset (MCP7A-D)
M-Audio ProFire 610
S8PE 8.3.1

3 Replies Related Threads

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Changing the buffer size in Asio driver mode 2009/04/26 07:10:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Thaddeus Cahill

...when I try to change the buffer size via the Asio panel in my M-Audio ProFire 610 while Sonar is running, the controls (buffer size, sample rate, etc.) are grayed out (non-operational,) Therefore I have to close Sonar then open the ProFire control panel (at which point the controls are accessible) and make the requisite changes and then reopen Sonar. So my question is this: Is that normal?

And on a similar note, the bit depth control in the options > audio dialog box is also grayed out, and that's not something I can change via my sound cards software control panel (whether Sonar's running or not.) I remember changing it at one point from 16 to 24 bit (where it is currently stuck) but I don't remember how. I guess it wasn't grayed out at the time. Any thoughts on that?

I believe this is normal behavior with ASIO. With SONAR 8.3.1 in WDM/KS mode there may be some relief from some of this. At least on my system with an Edirol interface I see the same thing you describe.
    strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    RE: Changing the buffer size in Asio driver mode 2009/04/26 07:15:27 (permalink)
    It's normal with the Profire 610 - it has to be done outside of Sonar.
    It kinda makes doing things 'on the fly' pretty irrelevant.

The bit size is changed in options - global - audio data - filebit depth
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Changing the buffer size in Asio driver mode 2009/04/26 12:10:01 (permalink)
    It's the nature of ASIO that it wants to talk to one application and one audio device at a time. The control panel for my MOTU interface flat refuses to run while any other audio application is open.

However, I can invoke the ASIO control panel from within SONAR because I have the "share drivers with other programs" option enabled. What this option does is tell SONAR to release the driver any time SONAR loses focus. That allows me to do things like bring up an external wave editor or the ASIO control panel or Windows Media Player while SONAR is loaded.

Go to Options -> Audio -> Advanced and check the "share drivers..." option.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1