Channel Tools for Mid/Side How do you do yours?

Author
Rothchild
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1479
2010/12/06 09:15:42 (permalink)

Channel Tools for Mid/Side How do you do yours?

So I've tracked a bunch of mid side stuff and I looked up how to make use of the Channel tools to ease the process and must confess I'm a little unclear.

My standard practice for doing MS is to just clone the side channel in TV, flip the phase, and pan it against the original (or just to track the 2 side channels from the same input, with the parameters set appropriately). I then group the volumes on the 2 sides so they can be adjusted against the middle (in it's own channel) and they all go to the MS Buss so I have an overall volume control for that stereo instrument.

One thing I read suggested that I could feed Channel Tools a 2 channel audio file (with the mid on one side and the side on the other) and that it would encode / decode as proper MS. I've not tried this as i don't trust it! How does it know (in this situation) which is mid and which is side?

The other solution offered was to create a buss structure (not dissimilar to what I've described above) which seemed like more work to use the tool than it's benefits present.

What happens if I use my multitrack / buss system but put the Channel Tool on the buss do I gain any advantages?

Cheers,
Child

7 Replies Related Threads

Rothchild
    Re:Channel Tools for Mid/Side How do you do yours? 2010/12/09 07:51:19 (permalink)
    Well I guess this is either a daft question, no one knows or no one cares (or all of the above)!

Following a bit more investigation it appears that you can use channel tools on a single 2 channel ('stereo') file, as long as you know that the left channel is 'Mid' and the right channel is 'side' this helps keep projects tidy (not too many extranious tracks or busses) and means there's a nice tidy single place to control your m/s recording from.

Incidently, all the manuals I've got (including the big pdf) say 'refer to online help' which I assume to be what should happen when one presses F1 with the window focussed, but for some reason it doesn't seem to want to work for Channel Tool, anyone else see this?

Cheers,
    Child
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Channel Tools for Mid/Side How do you do yours? 2010/12/09 17:59:53 (permalink)
    You are much better off getting a plugin to decode the MS signal for you. Doing it any other way can allow for errors in settings and hence the stereo image as a result. A plugin will give you an accurate decode. Even after adjusting M and S levels you can quickly revert back to the normal image. Yes the left signal is the MID signal simple as that.

But adjusting the relative levels of M and S allow you to refine your stereo image. I have used it in mastering where a client had a recording that was too distant and too stereo (solo piano) Converting even normal stereo into MS I was able to bring the listener closer and cut down on the reverb. Stereo was not a bid deal, the piano playing was. We were amazed at how much it imporved even an existing stereo recording.

But if you have recorded sound effects or anything in MS you have that opportunity to either get closer to the sound directly in front or pull back on the front sound and hear the wider stereo sounds. On playback when mixing stereo atmos effects into TV soundtracks, you can in fact widen on ocassions and make things sound very wide and lovely. But also being able to pull the stereo into mono more and look directly ahead is also a great feature.

One the nicest ways to record a string quartet is to have them sit in an arc and do a MS recording with M pointing at the two centre players and S at the other two on the extrems of the arc. Sounds even better if the M mike is a nice Omni as well in a room that sounds classy too.

Many sound effects on CD's are MS encoded (Well the Autralian SFX collection is) and you need to decode them to hear them correctly.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/12/09 18:02:43

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Channel Tools for Mid/Side How do you do yours? 2010/12/09 18:03:35 (permalink)
    It's not a daft question... I've been out all day or I would have answered earlier.

I use the Voxengo M/S VST and it is so simple and well mannered that I've never bothered wasting my time with Channel Tools. S1 does a better job panning, and Voxengo does a better job with M/S so I just think of channels tools as a bloaty piece of too little too late coding.

Maybe try the Voxengo M/S VST I think it's free or cheap. Does exactly what you'd think it might do and a few cool things as well.

best regards,
    mike

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Channel Tools for Mid/Side How do you do yours? 2010/12/09 22:40:43 (permalink)
    Here's another cool free tool as well.

It comes as a bundle IIRC but just delete the plugs you don't need.

http://www.meldaproductio...stplugins/mutility.php

Just bear in mind the coder (or decoder) here says Mono/Stereo instead of Mid/Side but it means the same thing. M=Mid or the Mono component (left). S=Side or the Stereo component (right).  You can adjust the gain to suit whatever panning law you use (or like me ignore) and it handles the panning too.

FWIW, I had trouble with the Voxengo MSED clashing with another plug-in (I can't remember which one sorry), but it used to make a noise right off the meter scale and then killed the audio engine which required a reboot to restore.

Probably not the Voxengo plugs fault but I ended up not being able to use it all the same.

Channel Tools does work but I find it too cumbersome (which is an indicator of how lazy I really am).
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/12/09 23:12:33

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Rothchild
    Re:Channel Tools for Mid/Side How do you do yours? 2010/12/10 03:18:34 (permalink)
    Whoa, it's like busses. You wait for ages and then 3 come along at once!

Thanks for the input gents, very helpful. I've got the melda plugs installed somewhere so I'll have another look at the utility and will check out the Voxengo tool too.

Cheers,
    Child
    ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Channel Tools for Mid/Side How do you do yours? 2010/12/10 13:27:46 (permalink)
    I've been digging into M/S technique heavily lately - but with regard to mixing since I'm not doing any live or Mic'd recordings these days.

First off - I love what m/s has to offer.  Even in subtle ways.

There are a few really good plugins for managing M/S.   Brainworx somewhat specializes in M/S plugins.

Their bx_Control2 is excellent and I am now putting it on my Master Bus just before my final brickwall limiter.  Their new bx_XL is intense and has some totally cool features that go beyond the usual m/s en/decoding.

Voxengo has long had M/S functionality in some of their plugins, but they made it too cumbersome for most to use.

However, I never try to use M/S techniques in an overbearing way.  A little dab WILL do ya, in this case.

Channel Tools is also very good, btw.  I use it often.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Channel Tools for Mid/Side How do you do yours? 2010/12/10 13:38:07 (permalink)
    With Voxengo MSED you may use a single instance to decode/balance/encode the MidSide

You may use any effect sandwiched between two instances of MSED to do creative things.

I never had any problems with it... it's light weight and easy to use.

I like to use M/S when making a final mix to tighten up the bass.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1