Author
mgh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8594
2007/11/26 15:20:16 (permalink)

Chasing Dreams - new song

hey guys and gals

our latest song, please find it here

done in s7pe, which is just beautiful and ultra-stable - running around 50% cpu at 4ms with 6 instances of NI guitar rig 2, lotsa vintage channel and perfect space and one instance each of sd2, rapture and z3ta+ loaded.

this was the first song i've done where all the guitar and bass is using GR2.

as usual, all thoughts ideas and suggestions welcomed, this is a quite a dense piece and so i'm sure there'll be room for improvement!
thanks
mark
post edited by mgh - 2007/11/27 04:45:22

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd

10 Replies Related Threads

kev11111111111111
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1772
    RE: Chasing Dreams - new song 2007/11/26 16:23:17 (permalink)
    hi !
    I really like that hook at the beginning !!! Takes u straight in there. I listened on head phones,so I can,t really comment on the mix to much.It sounds like theres not enough bottom end due to the freq cut of on these headphones.Be interested to hear it on speakers !!.
    Nice chorus..love the guitar in there too.You say thats a VST ?.Sounds pretty real to me !!
    Nice one,
    Cheers,
    Kev
    montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    RE: Chasing Dreams - new song 2007/11/26 16:41:13 (permalink)
    Has that British pop sound. The chugging background rhythm sounds the best on that song I think.

keep on truckin
    HeavyTRAFFIK
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 362
    RE: Chasing Dreams - new song 2007/11/27 00:35:28 (permalink)
    Terrific use of textures. Love the ARP arpeggio sound fading into the piano at the end. Harkens me back to Orchestral Manoeuvers in the Dark a bit. Very nicely arranged. I too have come to rely on Guitar Rig 2 for the vast bulk on my guitar and bass needs. some good sounds you're using. Could tighten up the 'human' drums with the looped drums at the transitions, as well as the vocal harmonies. But who am I to criticize? Absolutely love the ascending passage at 3:02, very dramatic.
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Chasing Dreams - new song 2007/11/27 02:51:29 (permalink)
    This is a nice big production Mark, that is a terrific chorus hookline, instantly memorable.
    Could be a little lacking in bottom end overall, but that could be. Good vocal job on this, your vocals are really confident, maybe here and there you need to tweak them up above the mix (like where that manic synth arpeggio comes in)

Edit - forgot to say - your top link doesn't work, I got to this via your signature.
    post edited by jamesg1213 - 2007/11/27 03:03:48

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    mgh
    RE: Chasing Dreams - new song 2007/11/27 04:43:53 (permalink)
    kev - many thanks. well, the guitar is real, just it's going thru an amp sim. in fact the two rhythm guitars are an electro-acoustic cos it was gonna be acoustic at first!

matt - cheers. yeah the synth sound is very Muse i think! it's actually a straight Rapture LE patch.

HT - thanks, the synth sound is actually all played in real time, it's not an arpeggiated patch or anything. i agree that in a couple of places the harmonised vox are a bit out but poor Steve (the singer) sang the falsetto parts himself which is a first for him, i think he did pretty well considering! i may v-vocal a little later, tho!

james - thanks, compared to your work i feel a little lacking as you just have it! not sure about the lack of bass, listening on my monitors and stereo it sounds ok, in the verses i have a z3ta+ bass sound that i don't want to turn up too far in case it dominates! you are right about the vocals needing to be higher in the first chorus.

thanks guys! oh, and i fixed the link.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    mrMRKelly
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 111
    RE: Chasing Dreams - new song 2007/11/27 07:33:56 (permalink)
    First of all, "Sorry for the forthcoming negativity but I hope you find my comments helpful!,

I think the vocals seem wrong during the verse's, somehow it sounds kinda out of tune/clashy with the melody which makes it difficult for me to listen to! The chorus's are nice though and I like the music, Good idea with going double time on the drums, but I don't feel it is neccesary for this particular song!

Overall, a good song though! I like the electronic parts most!

keep it up!

Matt K

Check out my other tracks: http://www.reverbnation.com/MRKuk

For my drumming site: http://www.reverbnation.com/mattkdrums

Become a friend on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mrMRKmusic
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Chasing Dreams - new song 2007/11/27 18:12:41 (permalink)
    This is really good Mark! My only nit is that in certain places your vocals seem to get swamped by the instruments. Using that volume envelope in 7pe should fix that if you were inclined to do so. Excellent vocals man! Love the lyrics. Listened to this 2x as there is a lot going on in this and I wanted to pick out the different sounds.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    DuRod
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1082
    RE: Chasing Dreams - new song 2007/11/27 18:58:30 (permalink)
    Mark, well written song and also well composed, and the vocals are right on; though they do seem to get lost in the mix at some points. It seems to me the drums could come forward a bit throughout the whole song. It also seems like more panning of the different instruments might help, it seems to all be pretty much centered. These are just little things I noticed, not taking anything away from the quality of the song overall........it's great.

DuRod
    mgh
    RE: Chasing Dreams - new song 2007/11/27 20:41:17 (permalink)
    Matt thanks for listening, can't say i agree with your views on the verse but that's why the world is so cool!

Larry cheers, i'll be getting that envelope out! i have a fair bit of automation on lotsa the tracks but i think a global volume drop in the music is needed in the chorus

Duane many thanks, i hate this mixing business! you get the drums right, then you bring up someting else and the balance goes and so on...grr! i shall take all your ideas on board guys and remix!

mark

ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: Chasing Dreams - new song 2007/11/28 00:37:40 (permalink)
    Mark,
    Cool effects and treatment on the guitar (I think its a guitar?). Nice anthemic piece, hooky chorus, nice changeup of instrumentation and arrangement keeps the song interesting. Vocals are delivered well, could be a little more up front, especially when there are lots of instruments playing. I really like the semi-spoken delivery style and pacing. Very effective. Nice piano outro. The lead synth part seemed quite a bit louder than the rest of the piece (in headphones). Nice work, catchy chorus.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1