Cheap Soundproofing

Author
scotrich
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 48
2008/08/25 19:23:29 (permalink)

Cheap Soundproofing

Has anyone ever tried those foam kingsize mattress pads as a cheap way to soundproof a home studio? The Auralex stuff can get expensive.

17 Replies Related Threads

Russell.Whaley
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2755
    RE: Cheap Soundproofing 2008/08/25 19:32:43 (permalink)
    A suggestion -- and this is sound control, not sound-proofing -- that you might find interesting. Check out this company. They sell moving van blankets, and the ones the link is for is one they've designed for sound control. At $16.50 each, they're a bargain, and do a nice job of taming odd echoes/etc.

HTH

Russ

...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: Cheap Soundproofing 2008/08/25 20:38:35 (permalink)
    Before the acoustic fanatics come in here and eat you for lunch I'd just suggest describing your setup and what you're trying to do a bit more. Are you really trying to soundPROOF your studio, or treat it so it's a neutral listening space?

if it's the former, trying to deaden your space, you've got a lot of work ahead of you. The only way to really soundproof something is by isolating it from the outside with air. that means a classic "room within a room" with a floating floor. Ugh way hard and expensive yo.

From the outside you can deaden the room quite a bit with whatever is a massive dead air space. Then you just need space and lots of layers.

But the difference between "treatment" and "soundproofing" is like the difference between American Football and Rugby. Similar but way different.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Cheap Soundproofing 2008/08/25 20:44:17 (permalink)
    I have a soundproof room in my basement, but I don't use it for recording...

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    RE: Cheap Soundproofing 2008/08/25 20:53:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: robby

sadistic . . .

NYSR
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1550
    RE: Cheap Soundproofing 2008/08/25 21:02:52 (permalink)
    Moving blankets are fantastic items. But watch out for the nylon ones, they are useless. Get the ones made of cotton.

Cakewalk customer since Apprentice version 1, PreSonus 16.4.2 ai, 3.5 gHz i7

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Cheap Soundproofing 2008/08/25 21:15:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: scotrich

Has anyone ever tried those foam kingsize mattress pads as a cheap way to soundproof a home studio? The Auralex stuff can get expensive.

The foam stuff doesn't soundproof, just keeps some reflection down. Are you trying to avoid reflections or keep sound from getting into the next room (block sound) ?
    When I think of soundpoofing I think you mean blocking sound from getting out of the room. For that mass loaded vinyl and floting the walls and floor comes to mind.
    Mr. torture
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 439
    RE: Cheap Soundproofing 2008/08/25 21:21:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: robby

CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Cheap Soundproofing 2008/08/25 21:41:16 (permalink)
    do you want to sound proof or sound treatrment for tuning a room?? Your post contradicts itself, cause aurelex is sound treatment for tuning rooms and then you say sound proof a room in the same sentence. There completely 2 different things and sound proffing will cost 50 times more than tuning will
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    DaneStewart
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 717
    RE: Cheap Soundproofing 2008/08/26 02:49:08 (permalink)
    You all should see Robby's sound proof room.....

It's..........very sexy.
    javascript:void(AddText(''))
    javascript:void(AddText(''))

To thine own self be true. ~TheDane
    scotrich
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Cheap Soundproofing 2008/08/26 09:49:57 (permalink)
    Sorry, I should have known better. I didn't mean soundproof, just "deaden" the room and cut down on the reflections. The blanket sound good, but hey, those foam mattress pads are $20 at Wal-mart! I am on a tight budget these days.
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Cheap Soundproofing 2008/08/26 10:05:16 (permalink)
    If you're on a tight budget you will appreciate the fact that foam is such a poor sound absorber that you will spend a small fortune before absorbing any pertinent frequencies at beneficial levels.

1) What size is your room? width, length, height? That should give you some idea of what resonant frequencies to expect.

2) Use a RTA to get another perspective of what the resonances are doing to your room.

3) Read up about sound treatment materials and consider which is best with regards to the resonant frequencies you are trying to modify.

4) Estimate cost of materials as applies to controlling frequencies that need modification.

You'll find out that foam is rarely a good choice and usually you need so much of it to do anything of benefit that it costs a fortune.

best regards,
    mike
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Cheap Soundproofing 2008/08/26 13:16:16 (permalink)

No, no, no! Don't waste your money unless you're planning on having a lot of company over who'll need sleeping accomodations on your living room floor.

Mattress pads are simply not dense enough. They will absorb only a limited range of frequencies and ultimately do more harm than good.

Go to your local home improvement store or insulation contractor and buy some Owens-Corning 703 rigid fiberglass. Enough to make 4"-thick panels. Go to Ethan Winer's site and start reading. Buy a book on studio acoustics. Your budget is tight but research is cheap.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: Cheap Soundproofing 2008/08/26 13:39:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bitflipper

No, no, no! Don't waste your money unless you're planning on having a lot of company over who'll need sleeping accomodations on your living room floor.

Mattress pads are simply not dense enough. They will absorb only a limited range of frequencies and ultimately do more harm than good.

Go to your local home improvement store or insulation contractor and buy some Owens-Corning 703 rigid fiberglass. Enough to make 4"-thick panels. Go to Ethan Winer's site and start reading. Buy a book on studio acoustics. Your budget is tight but research is cheap.

Darn tootin.

I read a book on acoustics to help me design my room. Just having the right dimentions can make a difference. You CAN do a quality room on a budget, but it's like having a second full-time job...lol

I'm doing offset-stud, floating walls/floor, the whole nine yards. My basement is an empty slate with high ceilings which helps a lot. Almost all the materials I got have been freebies off freecycle or craigslist...aside from my equipment I have about $200-300 total in materials. I have the whole room framed, partially dywalled, and have enough new carpeting to do the whole space (even got berber!). It keeps me chained to the computer looking for deals though. In my case (wife/3 kids to support), it's the only way my bettter half would allow me to do it.
    David4455
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Cheap Soundproofing 2008/09/01 19:06:08 (permalink)
    Moving blankets
    I have some Moving blankets whats the best way
    to hang them too the wall there heavy.
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Cheap Soundproofing 2008/09/01 19:39:49 (permalink)
    I have quite a bit of Auralex spread around the studio, I like it, but I agree, it's a bit rude for them to charge that for squares of foam? But for me, it's working well.

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    lazarous
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1461
    RE: Cheap Soundproofing 2008/09/02 15:56:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: scotrich

Look into the difference between "open cell" and "closed cell" foam. One is for sleeping on or packing material, one is for reducing reflections.

Regarding the packing blanket idea: I have three packs of two-each which I picked up at Costco. The two-packs were $11.99, and I think they're 6.5' x 6.5' or so? I hang them from the ceiling to be used as gobo's when I do voice-over work. They work well... not perfect, but well.

The big issue you're going to have with mattress pads is they're virtually acoustically transparent... doesn't really matter how much they cost if they don't DO anything. Seriously... this question gets posted about once every other month. The results are always the same: Some folks say they work, and eventually, someone posts a link to the testing people have done. The short answer is no. They don't work. You're better off saving your money and getting what DOES work. It may be the packing blankets will get your job done, and they're cheaper. They work even better if you hang them away from the wall a few inches.

If you want DIY absorption, look into Owens-Corning 703 acoustic fiberglass panels. Might be a way to save some money but get your best bang-for-the-buck results.

I use OC703 and Auralex in the studio. The Auralex advantage is medium-quality reflection-dampening, with a very good finished look. The OC703 advantage is that it's flat in its frequency response to a much lower level than Auralex. Also, doubling the OC703 makes the frequency it's effective to lower. Most issues in small studios exist in the lower-mid bands, so this is a huge advantage to the OC703. Remember, you have to cover OC703 in order to contain the fiberglass.

Anyway, do a bit of Googling. Find a guy named Ethan Winer's site. He gives away his info free... you are more than welcome to buy his materials as well, but he'll give you all the info he uses for nothing. Really nice guy.

Also, something to consider: Diffusion can be much more effective than absorption anyway, and it can be cheaper to create. Some people just set up book shelves with randomly sized books (doesn't help if you just fill it with paperbacks! You've just created another wall! LOL).

Good luck! You've launched yourself on a never-ending journey. Try to tread carefully so you don't flush your money down the toilet, and have fun!

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    New Henry and Buster episodes available!
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: Cheap Soundproofing 2008/09/02 17:58:47 (permalink)
    I'm doing offset-stud, floating walls/floor, the whole nine yards. My basement is an empty slate with high ceilings which helps a lot.

I think you will find it unnecessary to have a floating floor in your basement. That is really only to provide dead space to block reflections from below. If the only thing below you is concrete and thousands of miles of dirt, then it won't be of benefit. I would worry more about your ceiling and walls and making sure there is a tight seal on everything. Even a 1 square centimeter gap can lower the STC efficiency of a room by as much as 15dB.

No room in a residential community can be practical when it comes to total sound proofing (especially if you have noisy neighbors and a marine corps air base near by ), it is usually better to just make sure the room sounds good and is a quiet as you can get it, and hope that no outside noise screws up your recording.
    Jump to:
    © 2022 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1