Chillout track with sax, vocals

Author
cwestmont
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 379
2012/06/09 19:47:10 (permalink)

Chillout track with sax, vocals

Hi there, I am putting this track together for an Indaba remix contest. Lots of Dim Pro use in here, including the saxophones. Hope you like it -- any comments or feedback deeply appreciated. http://soundcloud.com/mos...the-lights-on-mm-chill

My music:
Hummingbird Cinema (vocal tracks, covers and remixes)
Mosaic Manifesto  (remixes and instrumentals)
"If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?"- Shantideva

One can acquire everything in solitude - except character. -- Marie Henri Beyle

Windows 7
Intel Core i7-4770 3.4 GHz
8 GigaBytes DRAM
Sonar X3
Roland QuadCapture

11 Replies Related Threads

drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    Re:Chillout track with sax, vocals 2012/06/09 20:07:13 (permalink)
    GREAT piece of music!  Kudos. . . on getting the Dim Pro sax sounding real. I really liked the air/warmth this piece has.  Excellent choice on instruments to play off the soft vocals. Great vibe, a smooth tempo whats not to like.  From the arrangement to the mix a darn good job.

Kev

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Chillout track with sax, vocals 2012/06/09 20:16:06 (permalink)
    Very nice. I like the concept and song idea. The production sounds a little muffled. Like it's covered in a blanket.

I'm more of a traditional style writer and the song structure seems to have no form. The "leave the lights on" is a cool idea. I would milk it more.

When you mentioned the dim pro sax I was a bit skeptical but, you did a great job with it.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

californiamusic
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 223
    Re:Chillout track with sax, vocals 2012/06/10 00:54:02 (permalink)
    I'm pretty picky about what I like, but this tune had a vibe about it.  The dry vocals worked.. very nice.  Wasn't crazy about the sax, maybe scale those back and concentrate on the vocal.  ; )

Intel i7-4770 -  3.9GHZ DDR3  -  32GB RAM
    Sonar Platinum
    Presonus Studio 192
    Motu 2408 MK3
    Waves v9
    Spectrasonics Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilion 
    Novation V-Station, Gladiator, ReFX Nexus, Lounge Lizard, Alchemy

www.soundcloud.com/glenntolliver
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Chillout track with sax, vocals 2012/06/10 10:58:50 (permalink)
    How doth I like this?  Let me count the ways!  It just hit me as totally awesome this morning.  Although it's a fairly long song you mixed it up enough to keep me in there.  Your singer is sultry and wonderful!  I thought in the first part of the song she was too far back in the mix.  In the last part it was perfect.  That is just personal taste, probably.  The acoustic bass was PERFECT!!   The sax might have been even more realistic had I not known it was Dim Pro.  Power of suggestion.  It was very well done.  I'm listening a second time and the vocal level seems ok in the beginning.  I see this downloadable so I am going to do that.  You really did a nice job here and I am enjoying it a bunch!  Did I say your singer is great?  :-0
    Oh, love all the keys!  That you?  You know, this time through I heard a bit of what Tim was talking about but couldn't tell you where or what is muffled.  Great help, huh?  Gheeesh!  I love this tune!!!!  

post edited by evadianepug - 2012/06/10 11:02:39

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    cwestmont
    Re:Chillout track with sax, vocals 2012/06/10 11:39:04 (permalink)
     Thanks for the feedback -- very helpful. I am going to go back and work on the mix levels some more and see if i can fix the 'blanket' problem -- I think I know what Tim is talking about. Almost every track is sitting in the middle of the mix right now with no EQ. The vocalist's name is Meiko -- the vocal stems are available through Indaba and they have a 'free' version of membership. If you haven't poked around Indaba, it might be worth your time. The link to the Meiko contest is here: http://www.indabamusic.co...ights-on-remix-contest I know the song structure is a little...unconventional? Haphazard? Some of that is my ignorance, and also trying to mask an existing vocal stem onto a new piece of music has its challenges that I am still mastering. In any case, I really appreciate the feedback and I will try to fix what I can.

My music:
    "If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?"- Shantideva

Windows 7
    8 GigaBytes DRAM
    Sonar X3
    Roland QuadCapture
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Chillout track with sax, vocals 2012/06/10 12:14:24 (permalink)
    I really don't find anything haphazard or unconventional.  Listen to some of our stuff if you want unconventional  LOL!  Maybe that's why this didn't seem unconventional to me.  I like your signature quotes.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Chillout track with sax, vocals 2012/06/10 12:46:26 (permalink)
    I'm a sucker for this groove (Glory Box, Novocaine for the Soul, that kind of thing) so this drew me right in. Love the vocals and the sax is pure Film Noir. Excellent track, loved it.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    pistolpete
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1584
    Re:Chillout track with sax, vocals 2012/06/10 13:41:49 (permalink)
    I thought this song was quite good. The reverb on the vocals was just a slight bit too much and made them a bit unclear. The vocals are solid though.
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Chillout track with sax, vocals 2012/06/11 11:43:13 (permalink)
    I don't know if I'm hearing the original mix or not, but this sounds great on my system.  Just to illustrate how differently we hear things, one reviewer says the vocal is dry, and one said too much reverb.  I, personally, didn't hear the blanket effect, in fact, it sounded clear and warm to me.  Some people will sacrifice warmth for clarity, and others will do the opposite.  It's sometimes hard to find that happy medium, but I think you're very close to that balance.  Sometimes it's best to sit on a song for a few days and then revisit it.  Usually, we hear things differently after a break.  I think this song will wear very well because each element of this song is played and performed so well.  Good song and good luck.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    cwestmont
    Re:Chillout track with sax, vocals 2012/06/13 00:32:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for the feedback and comments. I tried to fix the mix and cleaned up some of the parts were colliding a bit. Hope it helped. Here is the version I submitted to Indaba: http://www.indabamusic.co...est/submissions/112947 Thanks again, mm/cw

My music:

Windows 7
    8 GigaBytes DRAM
    Sonar X3
    Roland QuadCapture
    foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Chillout track with sax, vocals 2012/06/13 18:20:31 (permalink)
    Outstanding work. Sounds great here. Love the feel to this. Smooth, smooth smooth. Great vocals. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed that a lot.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1