Choirs and sound systems

Author
Gareth
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 645
2008/05/17 15:19:41 (permalink)

Choirs and sound systems

This is very, very, OT but I know there are forum members involved with choirs and am hoping they may respond.
For the past 6 months I've been playing in a four piece band (bass, electronic drums, gtr and kbds) that works with 2 choirs; one gospel and the other rock/soul.
We are having ongoing problems with the amplification of the singers and musicians; singers can't hear the instruments, musicians can't hear all sections of the choir etc etc. Both choirs are 30-40 voices and divided into sections; sopranos, altos, tenors, basses etc, plus soloists for most of he songs.
We have, to my mind, an adequate sound system, with plenty of fold- back but what's lacking in the choral association is someone who knows how to set up and operate it; we have the technology but not the expertise! So I'm part of a group that's trying to get to grips with the problem.
An issue, big one, with the gospel choir is that we mostly perform in churches. These are usually cathederal like in scale, date back to 16 or 17 century, stone surfaces and vaulted ceilings stretching into infinity; the reverb problem is horrendous
I'm not expecting any easy solutions but would appreciate some pointers to find out what is best practise in the use of amplification with choirs.
Thank you for your time...................Gareth

PS tried Googling without much joy

Check out: htpp://www.cognac-countryhouse.com

Acer(Vista), Sempron 3600 2Ghz, 3go RAM, 250Go HD, Tascam122L. Fender 'Rhinestone' Strat, Cort electro acoustic, Seagull 12string, Eko semi acoustic, Peavey bass , Behringer UMX controller

12 Replies Related Threads

Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Choirs and sound systems 2008/05/17 23:11:08 (permalink)
    My church has an AXIOM personal monitoring system for the musicians. I use a wireless receiver and a small set of headphones. I don't how it sounds out front but I can mix up to 16 channels in my phones and it sounds nice. Each musician can mix anything he wants.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    RE: Choirs and sound systems 2008/05/17 23:23:59 (permalink)
    I would use direct ins for all the instruments ,no amps. Send a quiet instrument only mix through 2 cabinets right at the choir with side fill cabinets. A second send is for the forward facing cabinets. Place a forward facing cabinet on each of those side fills. Use 3 mics for the choir and send them only to the front facing cabinets as well. The soloists need to step up near the center choir mic to solo. 30 - 40 voices should easily be heard by the instrumentalists. The instrumentalists need to be in front of the choir and off to the side. The only way to deal with reverb on that level is to keep it all as quiet as possible. More level excites the room which in turn gets amplified and so on and so on till feed back occurs.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    Gareth
    RE: Choirs and sound systems 2008/05/19 07:59:31 (permalink)
    Thanks for those insights.
    Whenever possible the band is placed to the side and slightly in front of the choir and we're slowly coming to the realisation that amps have to be ditched (the bassist doesn't like that at all!)
    At the moment each of the 5 sections in the choir has a mic ; that sems to be too many. Also 3 mics front stage for the soloists.
    The plan is to have a day in a large auditorium experimenting with different configurations .
    Gareth

Acer(Vista), Sempron 3600 2Ghz, 3go RAM, 250Go HD, Tascam122L. Fender 'Rhinestone' Strat, Cort electro acoustic, Seagull 12string, Eko semi acoustic, Peavey bass , Behringer UMX controller
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Choirs and sound systems 2008/05/19 08:34:29 (permalink)
    I am not involved directly with our band's equipment or mixing, but I can tell you a little of what they do. there are no amps on stage - all instruments are direct inputs. each guitarist (we have a rhythm, one electric lead, one acoustic/electric who switches roles and one bass) uses a multi-fx box - I think the bassist (who plays a 6 string electric) uses a Boss and the guitarists use Digitech (at least most of them). the keyboardist has direct ins from his keys and we mic the piano and percussionist. we also have a v-drums drummer. they use the audio output of the v-drums and control the volume of the drums thru the sound system. they use a big Allen & Heath mixer, I don't know the model.

the all also have the Axiom systems for personal mixes. the bassist is the band leader and he has a microphone that he can speak instructions to the other band members without talking out loud.

we mic the choir using 3 mics on booms and 4 overhead "choir mics". I don't know the mic models, tho. our choir has about 50 in it each service, but sometimes we have as many as 85 on special singing days/nights. we also have 4 monitors on stands pointing to the choir - but they never get our monitors right - we can't ever hear the director or the bass or something.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Choirs and sound systems 2008/05/19 09:06:55 (permalink)
    You are not alone in this problem. And there is no easy solution. Using the Axiom system is, I think, a step in the right direction. I play in my church orchestra. And there are more than 16 players that "need" the personal monitoring. We have all the horns, flutes, and other misc instruments that an orchestra has, including piano, synth, e-drums, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and bass guitar. So naturally some of us are w/o personal monitoring. The bass player and I share a floor monitor which has primarilly drums, and has at times, the mics from the worship team & music minister. (we rely on the sound "tech" to get it right......)

Since we have horns, and other loud instruments....we abandoned the concept of "quiet stage". We rely on the musicians maintaining a reasonable volume level, and since most of us are experienced musicians, that is not an issue.

Our issue is hearing the choir, who are directly behind us. Not so much us...but the mixer, and the audience....and more importantly, in the recorded mix, since we are now recording the services to burn CD's. They have started using curved shields with foam, on the choir mics, to limit the sound from the rear of the mic, since the choir mics sit just inches behind our chairs.

The best advice is to get into that big room and be prepared to work. Have all the equipment on site you think you might need. I have read alot about the Axiom system and how it can be used in many different configurations. You don't necessarilly have to have a "silent stage" with it. You can opt to send the signal to the powered Hot Spot type of speakers. If you placed 10 or so... Hot Spots in front of the choir..with a band musical feed...they could hear the band easily...at a relatively low volume level. (The ones we used had volume controls on them)
    Use directional mics in front of the choir as well. Use enough mics pointed at the singers and as close as is resonable to pick them up in groups. This way mics are not pointed directly at the hot spots so the cross talk is kept low.
    Placing a hot spot or headphones for each band member would also give you the option of band & choir in the mix. I understand the bass player's aversion to headphones....I too hate them. I want to hear the room. Since we have more than 16 people "needing" them, I volunteered to "give mine up" so that someone else could hear.

I feel your pain about playing rooms that have massive reverb problems. The key to success I think will be found in the Axiom system and the use of Hot Spots and headphones for monitoring. This will allow all to hear at a lower volume.

Good luck.

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/05/19 09:30:27

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Gareth
    RE: Choirs and sound systems 2008/05/20 01:38:37 (permalink)
    thanks Reece and GH for all that detail.
    Seems like amps are for the bin, bit of a relief for me as I use an ancient Zoom valve monster that weighs a ton.
    Can someone please explain the Axiom System? Google just produces an incomprehensible glossy brochure from the company.
    I'm still at the data collection stage and have to report back to the pA committee in a few weeks so any further input is most welcome.
    Gareth

Beagle
    RE: Choirs and sound systems 2008/05/20 08:25:59 (permalink)
    I don't know all the in's and out's of the Axiom system or exactly how it's connected, since I'm not involved with the sound techs. They have it all connected and I know the band thinks it works well.

I just thought I'd mention also that I have heard really great reviews about another system, however, and I've seen it being used but have not had the chance to discuss it thoroughly with those using it. the bose L1 or L2 systems. check out this thread where someone had seen it being used and went and bought a system based on that:
    http://forum.christiansongwriters.org/viewtopic.php?t=10285&highlight=bose

Gareth
    RE: Choirs and sound systems 2008/05/22 14:51:53 (permalink)
    thanks Reece. The Bose system seems too good to be true! I've passed the link on to the director of the chorales who holds the purse strings.
    Gareth

macflooze
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 544
    RE: Choirs and sound systems 2008/05/22 18:49:20 (permalink)
    Bring
    Other
    Sound
    Equipment

Pmac
    ToneZone

Information spreads at the speed of light, while ignorance is instantaneous at all points in the known universe - Dmitry Orlov
    macflooze
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 544
    RE: Choirs and sound systems 2008/05/22 18:50:42 (permalink)
    "No Highs no Lows -
    You must be using Bose"

Pmac
    ToneZone

Information spreads at the speed of light, while ignorance is instantaneous at all points in the known universe - Dmitry Orlov
    Beagle
    RE: Choirs and sound systems 2008/05/22 19:38:27 (permalink)
    LOL, Mac!

Yeah, I never thought I'd be even psuedo endorsing Bose, but these things seem to work pretty well from the reports I've heard of guys using them.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Choirs and sound systems 2008/05/22 21:24:11 (permalink)
    AXIOM: Our church uses it. I am a little familiar with it. As best I can remember about it. There is a 16 channel mic input module that you plug 16 inputs (mics) it has an audio out that is sent to the mixer, and a multiplexed digital output. The mux signal is sent out on a CAT5 computer cable. Each of the (up to 16) audio units connect to this network cable in a daisy chain. Any of the audio modules (on stage) can select their own personal mix by choosing from the 16 channels and selecting their own levels as needed...kinda like having your own mixer from the main mix. So the guitarist can set the level of his guitar and voice higher in his mix. The bass player chooses his personal mix...and so on. I don't use this system at the church...there are not enough personal mixers. The signal output has bass & treble and you can use headphones, as most do or send the output to an amp & speaker.

I am not familiar enough with it to know how it expands. I do have a link to the website...but not on this computer

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1