Choosing the perfect loop...Browse through 100's of loops-tempo synced pitch shifted

Author
hyperconnected
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2010/07/21 12:01:24 (permalink)

Choosing the perfect loop...Browse through 100's of loops-tempo synced pitch shifted

I recently made the switch from Ableton Live to Sonar due to the fact that my compositions were getting too complex for Live to handle, and I'm happy that I made the switch, but there are still some things I miss about Live and I find myself still going back to Live loading mix-downs from sonar when I want to add or change a major part because of the ease of the tempo synced loop auditioning. among other things.  Is there a way to browse through hundreds of loops quickly during playback, hearing them tempo synced to the measure and with the ability to change pitch?  Is there a plugin that can do this? Sound quality is no biggie, this is just for the process of choosing the loops I want to include.  If it is a vst/vsti the ability to drag and drop the sample from the plugin to Sonar would be important (some plugins don't work doing this I believe due to lack of x64 OS support ie(ezplayer).

If anyone knows a solution, I would be happy to hear it.

8 Replies Related Threads

Mesh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re:Choosing the perfect loop...Browse through 100's of loops-tempo synced pitch shifted 2010/07/21 12:50:09 (permalink)
    hyperconnected

Is there a way to browse through hundreds of loops quickly during playback, hearing them tempo synced to the measure and with the ability to change pitch?  Is there a plugin that can do this? Sound quality is no biggie, this is just for the process of choosing the loops I want to include.  If it is a vst/vsti the ability to drag and drop the sample from the plugin to Sonar would be important (some plugins don't work doing this I believe due to lack of x64 OS support ie(ezplayer).

Welcome Hyper,
    Yes there is a way to browse...you click on "Loop Explorer"  (I believe it has folder icon) which opens the "loop explorer". If it doesn't automatically go to the folder where you have all your .WAV files, just direct it to the right folder. Inside the folder, "all you have to do is hold down the CTRL key on your keyboard while clicking on loops. If you have Auto Preview enabled, the loops will play together simultaneously (in sync) with your other tracks. Once you find the selection of Loops that fit the feel you are going for, simply click and drag the files into the Track view. The loops will all be placed together in time on separate tracks for each loop."  

(The quoted info is from here: http://www.cakewalk.com/Tips/TechTipDec01_1.asp)
    It also has info there on how to change the pitch. If you have Sonar 8, you should check out the Matrix View (youtube has some good tips on using it).

Best of luck,

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Choosing the perfect loop...Browse through 100's of loops-tempo synced pitch shifted 2010/07/21 14:23:44 (permalink)
    hyperconnected

I recently made the switch from Ableton Live to Sonar due to the fact that my compositions were getting too complex for Live to handle, and I'm happy that I made the switch, but there are still some things I miss about Live and I find myself still going back to Live loading mix-downs from sonar when I want to add or change a major part because of the ease of the tempo synced loop auditioning. among other things.  Is there a way to browse through hundreds of loops quickly during playback, hearing them tempo synced to the measure and with the ability to change pitch?  Is there a plugin that can do this? Sound quality is no biggie, this is just for the process of choosing the loops I want to include.  If it is a vst/vsti the ability to drag and drop the sample from the plugin to Sonar would be important (some plugins don't work doing this I believe due to lack of x64 OS support ie(ezplayer).

To expand on Mesh's reply ...

"Loop Explorer" was renamed to "Media Browser" in Sonar 8.x.   That's what you could use.
    As he points out, you can use CTL while clicking to audition multiple loops at the same time.
    However, you can also hold the ALT key which will force loops in a different BPM to play at the Project's BPM.

(I wish we could just use a toggle for that, but oh well).

However, another trick many use (including me) is to open a drum module like SD3, or Ni's Maschine, or Motu's BPM, or Battery 3, etc -- most of these will play wav's (single shots and/or loops) and other formats and will play them in the project's tempo (BPM).

And, as Mesh also points out, you could use the Matrix for non-linear techniques, but it's not meant for just auditioning (though it can be used as such).

It's funny that you're going to Sonar from Live, whereas Live is the first host other than Sonar that I'm liking.
    I wouldn't be giving up Sonar for Live, however.  I'm only adding it as another tool in the music making arsenal.

There are some really great things Live has (feature wise) that I'd love to see in Sonar -- and visa versa.

And while I have been spending quite a bit of time with Live over the last month or so, Sonar still has the workflow and feature set that keeps me happy most of the time.   Sonar is a truly powerful Host. 

And, like any other complex program (which all hosts are), it takes time for one to get into the 'deep' with them.
    So enjoy the journey :)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3458
    Re:Choosing the perfect loop...Browse through 100's of loops-tempo synced pitch shifted 2010/07/21 21:12:29 (permalink)
    If you drop one or more pitch markers in the timeline, loops in the Media Browser will preview in the right key - and they'll even change key depending on where you are in the timeline and what that respective pitch marker is set to.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    ba_midi
    Re:Choosing the perfect loop...Browse through 100's of loops-tempo synced pitch shifted 2010/07/21 21:22:18 (permalink)
    Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
    ]

If you drop one or more pitch markers in the timeline, loops in the Media Browser will preview in the right key - and they'll even change key depending on where you are in the timeline and what that respective pitch marker is set to.

Wow, thanks for reminding me (us) about that.  Ya know, I totally forgot about pitch markers lol.
    Thanks Brandon :D

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3458
    Re:Choosing the perfect loop...Browse through 100's of loops-tempo synced pitch shifted 2010/07/21 21:27:53 (permalink)
    ba_midi

Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
    ]

Wow, thanks for reminding me (us) about that.  Ya know, I totally forgot about pitch markers lol.

My pleasure Billy! Funny when a program gets so deep that a feature that was "blow away" not that long ago gets forgotten in the back of the closet.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    ba_midi
    Re:Choosing the perfect loop...Browse through 100's of loops-tempo synced pitch shifted 2010/07/21 21:30:13 (permalink)
    Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
    ]

ba_midi

Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
    ]

My pleasure Billy! Funny when a program gets so deep that a feature that was "blow away" not that long ago gets forgotten in the back of the closet.

SO true :)   I've pointed out in a thread recently about how deep Sonar is, and that it takes time (as it does with anything deep).  But it also proves why forums are invaluable -- even to those who have gone deep.
    (Not to be confused with "off the deep end" LOL).

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Mesh
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re:Choosing the perfect loop...Browse through 100's of loops-tempo synced pitch shifted 2010/07/22 09:45:46 (permalink)
    ba_midi

hyperconnected

To expand on Mesh's reply ...

"Loop Explorer" was renamed to "Media Browser" in Sonar 8.x.   That's what you could use.
    As he points out, you can use CTL while clicking to audition multiple loops at the same time.
    However, you can also hold the ALT key which will force loops in a different BPM to play at the Project's BPM.

(I wish we could just use a toggle for that, but oh well). 

Hi Billy,
    If I recall correctly.......when auditioning loops, the loops (BPM) automatically follows the Project BPM. (I've never had to use the ALT key for this). However, loops that are say 85 BPM following a project at 170 BPM, will sound terrible as the loops weren't constructed to handle that extreme of a change.  

I actually didn't know about the loop pitch marker.....,(most of the time you get used to working in a routine manner and when you learn another aspect of the program......it's like....."I can see said the blind man". 
    post edited by Mesh - 2010/07/22 10:16:49

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    ba_midi
    Re:Choosing the perfect loop...Browse through 100's of loops-tempo synced pitch shifted 2010/07/22 13:08:58 (permalink)
    Hi Billy, If I recall correctly.......when auditioning loops, the loops (BPM) automatically follows the Project BPM. (I've never had to use the ALT key for this). However, loops that are say 85 BPM following a project at 170 BPM, will sound terrible as the loops weren't constructed to handle that extreme of a change. I actually didn't know about the loop pitch marker.....,(most of the time you get used to working in a routine manner and when you learn another aspect of the program......it's like....."I can see said the blind man".

Mesh,
    I stand corrected, but using the ALT key is necessary for non-acidized files/One-Shots.
    There are quite a number of libraries that have a 2, 4, or x bar phrase that are not 'loops'  and they are recorded in a specific BPM.  The one-shots do need the use of the ALT key to play within the project tempo.

So thanks for reminding me so I could make this clarification.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1