Chord Changes???

Author
DJ Darkside
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 565
2009/06/23 19:11:57 (permalink)

Chord Changes???

I make hip hop track and am looking to branch out to different genres and also expand my hip hop beat making too. I am not the greatest on the keys but I try... I have a small knowledge of chords and scales that gets me by. I practice in hope to get better as time goes by...

My question is how to make my tracks bit more interesting and change up with some chord changes. My songs always seem to be based around 2 or 3 progression chords the whole way through. Any idea or advice on this?

You can hear some of what I do at: www.darksideproductionz.com/blog and just click the music tab. Feedback is welcome too... I have a lot of respect for you very talented musicians so constructive criticism welcome too... Thank you!!!

Mark Liebrand
DJ Darkside 2001-20xx 
www.djdarkside.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Running: Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum, Ableton Live, Novation Impulse, Native Instruments Maschine, a few mics, 1963 Fender Strat, a Fender Jazz Bass and some secret weapons... EQ and Compression.

17 Replies Related Threads

gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: Chord Changes??? 2009/06/24 01:10:11 (permalink)
    I listened to a couple minutes of the first two songs. I have to say that this is not my favorite type of music, but from what I heard, it is mixed well, the composition and technical production is correct, and well done. For the ideas of how to make it more interesting, the change ups, I am not sure where to go with that. What I would suggest is that you do a little self education in simple music theory. Not real detailed, but from the structure point of view. For instance, the most basic format will have three chords, Like A, D, and G (root, forth, and seventh, but these are changeable, and just an example). This would be repeated as a verse, (maybe four measures of A, four of D, two of G, back to A for instance), with a change that would be a chorus, that might use the same chords in a different pattern, or maybe throw in something different to change it up a bit. Then, you could have say two verses, a chorus, a verse, and then maybe a bridge, that would be totally different, with a chorus and verse to finish it all off. But your music doesn't exactly support that kind of structure.

So, the best thing for you would be to study other songs in your genre, and concentrate on the structure. Don't listen to the beats, or samples, or mixing techniques, listen for the structure. Recognize what is repeating, what is different, how the differing parts blend and combine.

That is what I would have to do, analize for the structure, and then go back and study the format of instrumentation and learn how to build beats, how to use samples. It would be totally greek to me, but maybe if you approach it as something you know nothing about, break it down to its smallest elements and rebuild with your own style....

Not much help, I guess
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    whattarush
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 713
    RE: Chord Changes??? 2009/06/24 12:38:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: gamblerschoice

So, the best thing for you would be to study other songs in your genre, and concentrate on the structure. Don't listen to the beats, or samples, or mixing techniques, listen for the structure. Recognize what is repeating, what is different, how the differing parts blend and combine.

That is what I would have to do, analize for the structure, and then go back and study the format of instrumentation and learn how to build beats, how to use samples. It would be totally greek to me, but maybe if you approach it as something you know nothing about, break it down to its smallest elements and rebuild with your own style....

I agree. Learn chord theory including progressions and scales and experiment with your chord structures. And don't be afraid the stray ouside of the "normal" chord progression that you hear and use yourself. You'll be surprised at the results.

"When your moving in the positive, your destination is the brightest star"!!! www.elmarqrecords.com/ www.reverbnation.com/label/elmarqrecordsllc" www.facebook.com/pages/ElMarq-Records/160103362281 "Never look down on anyone UNLESS you're picking them up!"
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    RE: Chord Changes??? 2009/06/24 12:40:43 (permalink)
    They use chords in hiphop? Really? Where have I been?
    AJ_0000
    • Total Posts : 738
    RE: Chord Changes??? 2009/06/24 13:34:10 (permalink)
    It's tough to answer without knowing your level of knowledge. Your stuff sounds pretty good, but maybe this will help:

Let's say you're in the key of C.

The C major scale is:

C D E F G A B C

A basic chord is constructed using a triad, which is every other note in the scale starting with the root. So the C major chord is:

C - E - G

The E minor chord is:

E - G - B

When you do that for each note, the basic chords that work in that key are:

C Dm Em F G Am Bdim C

You can write that as:

I ii iii IV V vi vii I

(the 7th note chord is diminished, you may not use it much)

The capital numbers are major chords, the lower case numbers are minor chords.

So in the key of G:

G A B C D E F# G

G Am Bm C D Em F#dim G

I ii iii IV V vi vii I

You can do that for any key.
    post edited by AJ_0000 - 2009/06/24 13:49:05
    BluesMeister
    • Total Posts : 581
    RE: Chord Changes??? 2009/06/25 01:07:17 (permalink)
    Investigate different scales, melodic minor for example. Another trick is to start the chord progression on the iim instead of on the I You can have a chorus resolving to the I chord in the first measure. Play a major chord where you'd expect a minor to be, or the other way around. Learn the rules, then ignore the rules.

BluesMeister
    5 guitars, 1 amplifier, 3 pedals
    Asus P8P67LE, i7 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD
    Win7 Home Premium 64-Bit SP-1
    Sonar 8.5.3 64-Bit, RME HDSPe AIO
    Spendor BC-1 Studio Monitors
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: Chord Changes??? 2009/06/25 01:35:32 (permalink)
    ..."Learn the rules, then ignore the rules"...

So true. But, you really must learn those rules first, then throw them away.

Funny how that works

Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Bonzos Ghost
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: Chord Changes??? 2009/06/25 02:18:31 (permalink)
    learn other songs...ones you like...ones that contain different chord changes that grab your attention. See what makes them tick. Lotsa ways to learn.
    rob.pulman
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1146
    RE: Chord Changes??? 2009/06/28 02:04:26 (permalink)
    Apart from all the really good advice here - I would say the octave is one of your best friends.

Even with 3 chords you can come up with some great things. Look at Sweet Home Alabama - the verses are all picked open position chords D, C, G. Then the choruses - still D,C,G but in the barred positions.

Try getting a melody going over the I and IV chords, then going to the V chord for a chorus. Change the chord positions and use octaves.

Try getting melodies going by picking out notes over each chord with a different instrument - if you're playing a simple chord, just use the notes of that chord to put a melody together over the chord, using the same notes as that chord. For example if you're playing a simple C major chord, pick notes from the chord arpeggio and play them over the chord in a melody (use C, E, G, Bb, in different octaves and in different string positions). It'll sound right because every note you use is in the chord being played over.

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Chord Changes??? 2009/06/28 14:32:28 (permalink)

my thoughts too....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Raba_licious
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 65
    RE: Chord Changes??? 2009/07/10 06:38:55 (permalink)
    hmm you could try Amin-Fmaj back and forth
    or you could try Amin-Fmaj-Cmaj-Gmaj

and to those of you who think hiphop doesn't use
    chords, you'd be suprised. Hiphop actually does
    use chord progressions but they don't use very
    many chords in their songs and they're usually
    in minor keys.
    bayoubill
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10899
    RE: Chord Changes??? 2009/07/10 20:51:26 (permalink)
    Just remember that theory is used to figure out what you did after you did it so you can better understand what you can do in the future.

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

Marah
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 975
    RE: Chord Changes??? 2009/07/10 23:16:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DSProductionz

My question is how to make my tracks bit more interesting and change up with some chord changes. My songs always seem to be based around 2 or 3 progression chords the whole way through. Any idea or advice on this?

Check out Songsmith by Microsoft!

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/songsmith/index.html

It's super fun and will get you thinking in new ways about chords and how they work. Really interesting.

It's also fully functional during its trial period, and pretty inexpensive should you decide to buy it.

geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    RE: Chord Changes??? 2009/07/10 23:36:59 (permalink)
    Just remember that theory is used to figure out what you did after you did it so you can better understand what you can do in the future.

This thread is full of great advice but none better than Bill's IMO

All the best,

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    whattarush
    • Total Posts : 713
    RE: Chord Changes??? 2009/07/14 10:28:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker

my thoughts too....

Usually no more than three throughout the entire song which makes it difficult for me to listen to.

"When your moving in the positive, your destination is the brightest star"!!! www.elmarqrecords.com/ www.reverbnation.com/label/elmarqrecordsllc" www.facebook.com/pages/ElMarq-Records/160103362281 "Never look down on anyone UNLESS you're picking them up!"
    BluesMeister
    • Total Posts : 581
    RE: Chord Changes??? 2009/07/15 01:17:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: whattarush
    Usually no more than three throughout the entire song which makes it difficult for me to listen to.

There would be thousands of tunes written with just three or fewer chords, most of which would not at all be difficult to listen to. Hip-Hop is a genre I'm not particularly fond of, but there is a huge fan-base for it. Had you mentioned Karl-Heinz Stockhausen's music, now that I DO find difficult to listen to.

BluesMeister
    5 guitars, 1 amplifier, 3 pedals
    Asus P8P67LE, i7 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD
    Win7 Home Premium 64-Bit SP-1
    Sonar 8.5.3 64-Bit, RME HDSPe AIO
    Spendor BC-1 Studio Monitors
    rainmaker1011
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 652
    RE: Chord Changes??? 2009/07/18 08:00:44 (permalink)
    i recommend you to buy some books so you can use them any time during composing. I have two books, Music Theory For Dummies and Composing For Dummies. it is written in a simple, understandable way. maybe that could help.
    kev11111111111111
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1772
    RE: Chord Changes??? 2009/07/21 06:25:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DSProductionz

I make hip hop track and am looking to branch out to different genres and also expand my hip hop beat making too. I am not the greatest on the keys but I try... I have a small knowledge of chords and scales that gets me by. I practice in hope to get better as time goes by...

You can hear some of what I do at: www.darksideproductionz.com/blog and just click the music tab. Feedback is welcome too... I have a lot of respect for you very talented musicians so constructive criticism welcome too... Thank you!!!

Hi
    I think it all depends on what you want to acheive and wat style you want to cater for.Its great you want to expand,but its hard to offer concrete advise without knowing what other styles you're looking into.
    For example in Jazz you're more likely to get chords with flashy extensions.Instead of playing a G7,its more likely to be subbed for another chord wirth flashy extensions,like Gflattened 9,or a G Aug 11Th,or even a D flat aug 6.Melodies are likely to be differant too,making more use of 7ths and 2nds. In pop on the other hand 9 times out of 10 basic traid chords will be used.By this I mean the chord will be based on three notes.So for example in the scale of C you'll get a C major chord with C,E,G in it,an F major chord with FAC in it etc etc.Pop melodies make more use of 3rds and 6ths,as opposed to 7ths and 2nds in jazz.
    I think if you are after more unsual chord progressions you should maybe look into jazz - but again it all depends on what you want to do. I think the most important thing to remember is that there are really no solid rules regarding to what you can or can't do.If you want to play the chords C minor,E minor,G minor,B flat minor C minor and it sounds 'right' to you,then it is right,and no-one can tell you differant.Experiment,and experiment some more.All the keys are CONNECTED in one form or another anyway,its down to you decide on what suits your style. I heard a story about the composer bach,who wrote a chord progression based on the letters in his name !!! H in German notation is B flat by the way so he wrote the chords B,A,C and B flat. Was he following rules ?? Nah he was having fun and experimenting.
    Hope this was useful in some way to you.
    Kev
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1