Christian rock / pop

Author
robbyk
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 705
2012/06/05 09:02:55 (permalink)

Christian rock / pop

Just got this song to a reasonable mix. Straightforward guitars.  I recorded it in Producer 8.53 and will soon pull it into X1 to learn the ropes (as time allows).

Let me know...FYI, my room is severely bass challenged so I do the car-test as I go. I wanted the bass / kick to be hot but not too much?

http://robbykband.bandcamp.com/track/walking-in-the-footsteps-of-jesus

Have a great day! You all rock!

"I'm just workin' on a good life, the way it is."

Best, Robby K 

PC Specs: Dell XPS Tower, Intel Core i5 7400 CPU 3 GHz @, 8 GB RAM
Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
Studio

13 Replies Related Threads

stuart3844
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re:Christian rock / pop 2012/06/05 09:32:37 (permalink)
    Like the song. Interesting reverb, can't decide whether i think it is too much or i love it. Nothing wrong with the car test either, has stood me in good stead too.

Sonar X1 Studio, ToneBooster Voxengo and Klanghelm plugins
    Windows7 64bit on AthlonII x4 631, 8GB
    Studio - Focusrite Saffire Pro40, krk Rokit 5s
    sE2200, 2xsE4s, AKG112, GA R1 Ribbon and loads of SM57s
    Home -  Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Alesis M1 Mk2s, DT990

Facebook - "York Road Studio"

dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:Christian rock / pop 2012/06/05 09:33:03 (permalink)
    Hey Robby K!

So cool to hear such a fun, upbeat CCM song that doesn't follow the cookie cutter approach! Almost seemed like a Clash influence on the music. Anyway I'm not listening on speakers where I can really critique the mix other than to say it sounded pretty good and enjoyed the song and originality!
    chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Christian rock / pop 2012/06/05 09:46:34 (permalink)
    not bad,got some great hooks in this song and your guitar tone sounds absolutely fabulous but unfortunetly theres alot more that could be done.

the drums sound like a machine,there is alot more you can do to make them sound real,compression and reverb,exc,
    the kick and snare also just disapeared at 3:25 for one bar.

i really liked the harmonies(the climbs)
    but too much reverb is drowing the vocal in effects.

the reverb should be set to a wet setting during the climb harmonies not the whole vocal track,you see what i mean?
    the part in the end of the verses-your moving,your moving,all AROUND>>
    the part around around should be the wet the verses dryer.
    this will enhance the "around" and push it right into the listeners ear canal like a wonderful sensation and make it appear louder but yet keep the balance of the mix.
    a touch of delay on those parts wouldnt hurt either.

i like the message,i like the hooks,what really sold me on this song is your guitar playing,its fabulous.and a great tone,great sound.
    this is usualy easily acheived by a guitar simulator like guitar rig or amplitude.
    but you need the perfect match of guitar and preset,looks like you found a heavenly match here between the two.
    im a sucker for the ccr,neil young sound,not to say thats what you sound like,i heard more telicaster boasting through.
    which im a sucker for a tele all day long.

great writing,i could pick out all those little parts on guitar in there doing different things,which inturn means,the guitars were mixed well.

remember the opinion of chuckebaby is the sole opion of chuckebaby.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Christian rock / pop 2012/06/05 11:15:24 (permalink)
    I, too, picked up the Clash right off the bat.  This could work in your favor, and, as been noted, help avoid the cookie cutter approach of many CR bands.  Chuck offers several tips that could elevate this mix into something more polished.  Yet, this has that certain something going for it anyway, so you have good material to work with.  Nice job.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:Christian rock / pop 2012/06/05 16:50:18 (permalink)
    Charlie summed it up pretty well.  This is the proving ground where you learn how to make cool music.  The advise you get here is invaluable.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    robbyk
    Re:Christian rock / pop 2012/06/05 20:34:37 (permalink)
    dlogan

Hey Robby K!

So cool to hear such a fun, upbeat CCM song that doesn't follow the cookie cutter approach! Almost seemed like a Clash influence on the music. Anyway I'm not listening on speakers where I can really critique the mix other than to say it sounded pretty good and enjoyed the song and originality!
    Dave, Stuart3844, Charlie, Lynn...thanks for the MOST kind remarks; I go thru the Sonar forums every day for years now so I know you all are the tops and this is a wonderful way to end a long day ! Thanks again for the kind remarks and advice.

By the way, there is absolutely no reverb on the song but rather the "effect" on the vocals is the Rob Papen delay using a send to a bus with the vocal slapback preset. I just got this plug for the song as I was seeking out a Elvis Sun City effect that I use in concert with my lexicon hardware. I tried different reverb settings and presets but couldn't find anything I liked; then I began to explore the RP-delay and now I really like his plugs and would heartily recommend them!

Well the next step is to bring this into X1 and get down to some serious learning. I really like the suggestion of using the effect on the chorus to bring it out too, thanks!

Thanks again!

Best, Robby K 

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
    Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
    Studio
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Christian rock / pop 2012/06/05 21:15:38 (permalink)
    Hey RobbyK!  I like this song!  very cool!  love the guitars!

I'd take that delay off the vocals, tho.  sounds really bad, IMO.  I bought that delay also, and used it on my song Christ is Alive as an echo effect, but not on the entire vocal cause it's too much.

good toe tapper!  thanks for sharing!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Christian rock / pop 2012/06/05 22:24:30 (permalink)
    I like it!  Great hooks, great harmonies, great singing and playing.  :)
    The Band19
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2795
    Re:Christian rock / pop 2012/06/05 22:54:25 (permalink)
    Hey good for you! (From one Robby to another?) I liked the bottom (on my buds, but they're good ones) There are some here who cry "Lord Lord!" But are not of the Lord... I really enjoyed your song Robby, good job sir. And a fine message too.

Peace, and I hope this helps those who are lost find it too.
    post edited by The Band19 - 2012/06/05 22:55:55
    michaelhanson
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3529
    Re:Christian rock / pop 2012/06/06 01:08:16 (permalink)
    Robby, like the song a bunch.  I too could definitely hear a Clash vibe going on with this one.  I also think the drums need some work with a little more punch, compression and eq.  I am wanting to hear a more acoustic and punchy sound to the drums.  A real woody sounding snare would be great.  

The vocals have to much effect on them for me and are a little loud for my taste.  I guess I would like to hear them set back a bit and let more of that wonderful guitar tone shine through.  I think Charlie has some great suggestions on using the effects more on the chorus and drier in the verses.  

I am a big fan of Christian music that does not sound like the typical CCM/ radio play style that is so over done these days. This is some good stuff.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
    https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
    iTunes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
    BMI
    robbyk
    Re:Christian rock / pop 2012/06/06 10:13:29 (permalink)
    Beagle

Hey RobbyK!  I like this song!  very cool!  love the guitars!

I'd take that delay off the vocals, tho.  sounds really bad, IMO.  I bought that delay also, and used it on my song Christ is Alive as an echo effect, but not on the entire vocal cause it's too much.

good toe tapper!  thanks for sharing!

Beagle, thanks for the advice, I am a huge fan of yours; it means a lot! I'll be reworking the song in X1, God willing...

Janet, Mike, Robby...your comments are sincerely appreciated! Blessings!

Best, Robby K 

Music 
    Studio
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Christian rock / pop 2012/06/06 10:36:19 (permalink)
    The more I listened the more I liked it.  I do agree that the voice is so effected that it sounds like it's in a hole.  IMHO!  I know what you're doing and I believe that it WILL sound better if you bring it up front a little more, not louder, but more up front, i.e less verb.  Theme, songwriting and instrumentation are very nice.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    Re:Christian rock / pop 2012/06/06 11:04:23 (permalink)
    GREAT tune/performance.  I agree with the others when it comes to the verb/delay used on the vocals.  The vocals are also a smidge muddy compared to the rest of the mix.  All in all, a really well written catchy tune you have here.  KUDOS!

Kev

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1