Circu5 -New band with Dave Gregory

Author
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
2017/09/05 13:29:42 (permalink)

Circu5 -New band with Dave Gregory

I got notification of a new follower on Twitter - @Circu5.  Turns out this is a new proggy band which includes BBT's Dave Gregory with an album due for release on 15th Sept. http://smarturl.it/circu5

CIRCU5 is the project of British multi-instrumentalist and vocalist, Steve Tilling. Five years in the making, the project’s debut self-titled concept album features guest performances from Dave Gregory (XTC, Big Big Train), Phil Spalding (Mike Oldfield), Andy Neve (Steve Hackett) and others.

A powerful contemporary Rock project steeped in traditional Progressive influences, the music on CIRCU5 effortlessly incorporates epic Symphonic, FM Rock, Pop and Singer-Songwriter approaches. 

Clues to the album's concept are dotted throughout the lyrics and packaging, but Steve is happy to give away the essence: "It traces the life of a baby raised until age three in a secret government organisation, which aims to cure psychopathy while harnessing positive psychopathic traits for certain business and military roles. The character discovers the truth as a dysfunctional adult – with catastrophic consequences.”

I will be watching this one. Signing up for the newsletter gets you a free track.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud

8 Replies Related Threads

Glyn Barnes
    Re: Circu5 -New band with Dave Gregory 2017/09/05 13:40:54 (permalink)
    Just thinking "Five Years in the Making" - I hope the Singer on my current project does not see this and think that is something to emulate

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Circu5 -New band with Dave Gregory 2017/09/05 16:02:01 (permalink)
    I happened upon Steve and CIRCU5 a couple of days ago, really like his stuff. He and DG take turns playing guitar with Johnny Warman when he's doing his '60s music revival tours.

He posted on FB that CIRCU5 are featured in this month's Prog magazine, and have a track on the freebie CD.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: Circu5 -New band with Dave Gregory 2017/09/05 16:40:09 (permalink)
    You missed James' post in the Now Playing thread Glyn.  The whole album sounds like it should be interesting!  

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Glyn Barnes
    Re: Circu5 -New band with Dave Gregory 2017/09/05 18:43:27 (permalink)
    craigb
    You missed James' post in the Now Playing thread Glyn.  The whole album sounds like it should be interesting!  

So I did, that thread tends to lock up my phone, cant handle all the Youtube previews sometimes, so I usually only look on MY PC. The Monsterous Grady is the track they are giving away when you sign up for the news letter. I also just checked the Prog magazine disc, which arrived this morning, There is a different track on there. Think I will be getting this one! 

space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    Re: Circu5 -New band with Dave Gregory 2017/09/05 19:07:14 (permalink)
    I love XTC!  But Partridge/Moulding did so much of the writing I have a hard time remembering what Gregory's output was like.  Then again, he was with XTC during its most prolific times.  AND - HE WAS A DUKE!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGF7o_I4mAw

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Glyn Barnes
    Re: Circu5 -New band with Dave Gregory 2017/09/05 19:22:57 (permalink)
    space_cowboy
    I love XTC!  But Partridge/Moulding did so much of the writing I have a hard time remembering what Gregory's output was like.  Then again, he was with XTC during its most prolific times.  AND - HE WAS A DUKE!!!

That is some serious psychedelia - Nice Farafisa organ solos, shades of early Richard Wright.

I though Dave Gregory's main claim to fame in this era was borrowing Jyemz's amp or something?

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Circu5 -New band with Dave Gregory 2017/09/05 20:08:26 (permalink)
    Glyn Barnes
    space_cowboy

That is some serious psychedelia - Nice Farafisa organ solos, shades of early Richard Wright.

I though Dave Gregory's main claim to fame in this era was borrowing Jyemz's amp or something?

Ha, no that was Andy Partridge. I loaned him my Marshall for a Swindon gig.  Later on I borrowed his DX7 for a session and he charged me a tenner!

Our band recorded in the same studio where XTC were rehearsing for the 'English Settlement' tour and one Sunday afternoon we found all their gear set up, and thought 'well, why not?'

Got an almighty bollocking for that...

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: Circu5 -New band with Dave Gregory 2017/09/05 21:09:58 (permalink)
    space_cowboy

That's very much the type of music I've been listening to lately (albeit the newer stuff is a bit more on the Stoner Rock side).

As such, I just set my Strawberry Alarm Clock for 25 O'Clock. 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1