Helpful ReplyClean out routing?

Author
jmasno5
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 453
2017/06/25 22:11:39 (permalink)

Clean out routing?

Sonar Platinum -
I been having a problem with Sonar crashing when assigning a side-chain.  I've noticed this happening to projects that I have been working on for a long time.  It does not happen on new projects.   Is there a sort of routing cache that becomes corrupt?  I was wondering if there is a way to clean out all routing?   I've filled out crash reports on this but have not heard anything.  Any body got an idea?    Thanks.

John Masarone - J Mas No. 5
jmasno5.com
broadjam.com/jmasno5
masarone.bandcamp.com
SoundCloud Set List
Intel i5, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 64bit, Scarlett 18i20
Sonar Home Studio 4 & 7, Studio 8.5, Producer X1, X2, X3, Platinum and now... Cakewalk by BL and Studio One!
interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: Clean out routing? 2017/06/25 22:23:00 (permalink)
I put it down to incompatible routing chains. A few times my ProChannel has crashed which I think was one of the PC4K compressors. So that might be a cause. Anyway, if you have any recovery files in the same directory as the your project, check the timestamp and rename it by deleting the extra info after the cwp and it becomes a project file.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Clean out routing? 2017/06/26 00:02:15 (permalink)
I don't know of a way to clear routing. Never thought about it before. It might be a good feature request though.

One thing you could try is copy the old project to a new project track by track and so on. Save it to a new project folder.

Best
John
jmasno5
Re: Clean out routing? 2017/06/26 13:44:04 (permalink)
interpolated
I put it down to incompatible routing chains. A few times my ProChannel has crashed which I think was one of the PC4K compressors. So that might be a cause. Anyway, if you have any recovery files in the same directory as the your project, check the timestamp and rename it by deleting the extra info after the cwp and it becomes a project file.

I did a test and the crash happens when I select any type of side-chain.  Seems to me the more you work on a project the more garbage is built up in the background like a Web browser. 
Also, when I realized I wanted to remix this project, I went into the mix scene memory and cleared all previous mixes and reset the project to reset state.  No, effects, panning, routing, etc. 

jmasno5.com
broadjam.com/jmasno5
masarone.bandcamp.com
SoundCloud Set List
Sonar Home Studio 4 & 7, Studio 8.5, Producer X1, X2, X3, Platinum and now... Cakewalk by BL and Studio One!
jmasno5
Re: Clean out routing? 2017/06/26 13:45:40 (permalink)
John
I don't know of a way to clear routing. Never thought about it before. It might be a good feature request though.

One thing you could try is copy the old project to a new project track by track and so on. Save it to a new project folder.

Yes, when I decided to remix this project I should have moved the stems to a new folder and gone from there.  Thanks.

jmasno5.com
broadjam.com/jmasno5
masarone.bandcamp.com
SoundCloud Set List
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Clean out routing? 2017/06/26 16:33:44 (permalink)
I don't think its a cache issue, When you said... "Sonar crashing when assigning a side-chain"
Very important: What plug in are you side chaining ?

What plug ins are you using and what plug in are you using to side chain ?
I would do a test and remove the plug ins. If you don't crash, add plug ins one at a time.
you might find an offending plug in that is not playing nicely with your project.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

jmasno5
Re: Clean out routing? 2017/06/27 03:07:30 (permalink)
chuckebaby
I don't think its a cache issue, When you said... "Sonar crashing when assigning a side-chain"
Very important: What plug in are you side chaining ?

What plug ins are you using and what plug in are you using to side chain ?
I would do a test and remove the plug ins. If you don't crash, add plug ins one at a time.
you might find an offending plug in that is not playing nicely with your project.

I removed all of the plugins in a test.  I side chained the kick to a PK pro-channel compressor on a bass gtr track.  It crashed.  I then opened a new blank project and tried the same.  No problems.    There's got to be something that Sonar is holding on to in the background.  Crossed wires.  

jmasno5.com
broadjam.com/jmasno5
masarone.bandcamp.com
SoundCloud Set List
jmasno5
Re: Clean out routing? 2017/06/30 19:27:46 (permalink)
John

I tried to export the individual raw tracks.  The wav files sounded like noise when I imported them into a brand new project.  However, when I click on a file in the Windows folder, Windows Groove player plays the track just fine.  Unbelievable!  No winning.  I'm back to the original project.  I will forgo side-chaining anything.

jmasno5.com
broadjam.com/jmasno5
masarone.bandcamp.com
SoundCloud Set List
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Clean out routing? 2017/06/30 21:32:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jmasno5 2017/07/01 02:24:52
Something is amiss. None of the issues you are reporting should be happening. I would look at your overall setup making sure all your drivers are up to date and that Windows is also up to date.  Many think that allowing the updates to Windows is a bad idea. I think that is a wrong headed notion. Those updates are to fix issues and add further security.  I'm not saying you don't update but if you don't then that may be the problem. 

Best
John
jmasno5
Re: Clean out routing? 2017/07/01 02:24:01 (permalink)
John
Something is amiss. None of the issues you are reporting should be happening. I would look at your overall setup making sure all your drivers are up to date and that Windows is also up to date.  Many think that allowing the updates to Windows is a bad idea. I think that is a wrong headed notion. Those updates are to fix issues and add further security.  I'm not saying you don't update but if you don't then that may be the problem. 

John,
My system updates all of the time.  One of the things I hate about Windows 10 is that it will download updates in the background while working on a project.  In Windows 7 I had it set for notify so I could update between working on mixes.

My computer was built and is used for nothing else except Sonar and programs that work with Sonar.

Yes, I'll see if maybe my Focusrite or any other driver is up to date.

But think about it; I'm able to close the problem project, open a new one and side chain with no problem.  No exiting of Sonar, no reboot.  Yet, if I delete every single plugin from the problem project (which I did), reinsert two plugins, and try to side chain, the program crashes.  There is no question in my mind that there is something in the background of Sonar that's already been corrupted and can not be repaired by resetting the mix to zero (no plugs).  We can delete picture cache.  Why can't we delete all background remnants from a wiped mix?  

Other thoughts - Maybe there is an offending track?  I haven't tried deleting tracks.

jmasno5.com
broadjam.com/jmasno5
masarone.bandcamp.com
SoundCloud Set List
jmasno5
Re: Clean out routing? 2017/07/01 23:28:05 (permalink)

Update

If I delete all of the Summing Buses (drums, vocals, guitar, etc.)  side chaining works!

jmasno5.com
broadjam.com/jmasno5
masarone.bandcamp.com
SoundCloud Set List
stevec
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Clean out routing? 2017/07/03 03:54:05 (permalink)
jmasno5

Update

If I delete all of the Summing Buses (drums, vocals, guitar, etc.)  side chaining works!

Can you delete one at a time to see if it's a specific bus, or does it require all/multiple?

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

jmasno5
Re: Clean out routing? 2017/07/03 13:08:07 (permalink)
stevec
jmasno5

Update

Can you delete one at a time to see if it's a specific bus, or does it require all/multiple?

Steve,
When I get a moment I will check it out. I have a few buses for instrument groups and effects. Process of elimination will take a while since the program will crash every time if I choose wrong. I'll delete half and go from there.

jmasno5.com
broadjam.com/jmasno5
masarone.bandcamp.com
SoundCloud Set List
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1