Clip palette ... Implemented good enough . See Tip of the week #77 .

Author
ChrisX
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 128
2015/12/22 11:48:18 (permalink)
5 (1)

Clip palette ... Implemented good enough . See Tip of the week #77 .

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3354996
The "clip palette" would be a floating window in which you drag-copy your audio and midi clips used in your current song.
    When arranging your song and lets say you want to repeat a section (verse, chorus, clips, etc.) instead of going back at the beginning of the song (or where you have  those clips inserted,)  and copy/paste that part you would have this "clip palette" window docked on the side and just drag that clip where you want it.
    The difference between the "clip palette" and the browser would be :
       - In the "clip palette" you could see the clip icon exactly as it looks like in the track view, with its name, color and wave or midi pattern. (No extra details are needed except  probably a preview play/stop button next to each clip).
       - The "clip palette" would only contain the clips you want to use in that song (midi, audio recordings). 
       - The "clip palate" would be specific to each project and would be saved in the same project folder.
     The clips in the "clip palette" window could be free floating or arranged in such a way so that we can scroll using the mouse wheel.
      To copy a clip in the "clip palette" you would just drag your clip from the track view. To delete it you would left click->delete.

I think this would help the work flow and would save the time spent by zooming in and out scrolling left and right to get to a part that we want to replicate in other sections of the song....
post edited by ChrisX - 2016/01/22 15:05:15

1 Reply Related Threads

ricoskyl
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 327
    Re: Clip palette for daw producers as color palette for painters... 2016/01/09 20:13:55 (permalink)
    I think this is a great idea.  I envision it as a sort of sticky clipboard where copied clips could be "held" in a special window that would allow users to pick and choose which items to paste into the project.  Considering all that's involved in navigating around the project to locate each clip, this could be a real time saver.  

Your suggestions about displaying the content in a way that matches the track view is a little less important to me; while that's a slick approach, I'd still be happy if each object was referenced only with a textual name.

What about an interface like the custom toolbar module?  Name the elements like "gtr/chrs1" or something that has meaning based on the purpose. Mark the spot, click the button, and insert the saved contents.  Voila!

If you want to make enemies, try to change something. -Woodrow T. Wilson
    Turbulence is a life force. It is opportunity. Let’s love turbulence and use it for change. -Ramsay Clark
    ----------------------
    Sonar Platinum Win 10 x64 on HP Pavilion i7 5500 12Gb RAM, Tascam US-16x08, NVidia 840 8Gb vram, Multi-Screen, Multi-Touch
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1