Clipped waves

Author
Antler
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 487
2005/11/05 08:17:41 (permalink)

Clipped waves

I know that clipped recordings are bad for speakers, but I don't really know why. If I had a clipped wave, would it still be bad if I were to slightly decrease the wave amplitude? Or would I have to find a way to make the flatlined peak 'wavey' again?

2 Replies Related Threads

dcastle
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2623
    RE: Clipped waves 2005/11/05 08:25:20 (permalink)
    I know that clipped recordings are bad for speakers, but I don't really know why.

In a layman's nut shell, it's because the sharp corners at the edges of the clip have some really loud high-frequency content --- much, much more than probably anything else in your music --- so your tweeters are happily playing along and then WHAM! This can easily blow out a tweeter. This depends on the amount of clipping and how often. A huge clip might be enough to damage a tweeter all by itself. But more likely, playing all night with a moderately clipping sound will overheat a tweeter and cause it to fail.

Lowering the volume helps, cutting the extreme high frequency helps, good speakers with thermal overload protection helps, but the best solution is watch your gain structure and don't allow anything to clip.

Regards,
    Daivd

ASUS M3A78 AMD 9950 Quad 2.6G 8GB
    Shure • Rhode • Audio-Technica • Allen&Heath GL2200-24
    MOTU 24i • Presonus Firepod • E-MU 1212m • Zoom H2
    SONAR 2XL-8PE • Sound Forge 1-9 • Audacity 0.1-1.3
    gdugan
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1118
    RE: Clipped waves 2005/11/05 11:42:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dcastle

I know that clipped recordings are bad for speakers, but I don't really know why.

In a layman's nut shell, it's because the sharp corners at the edges of the clip have some really loud high-frequency content --- much, much more than probably anything else in your music --- so your tweeters are happily playing along and then WHAM! This can easily blow out a tweeter. This depends on the amount of clipping and how often. A huge clip might be enough to damage a tweeter all by itself. But more likely, playing all night with a moderately clipping sound will overheat a tweeter and cause it to fail.

Lowering the volume helps, cutting the extreme high frequency helps, good speakers with thermal overload protection helps, but the best solution is watch your gain structure and don't allow anything to clip.

Regards,
    Daivd

Yeah David, but you're forgetting that those ultrasonic frequencies that are generated with the clipping are felt by the listener and contribute to the listening experience. That's why I always recommend capturing clipped audio at 24 bit 96KHz.

(Obviously I'm joking here, folks. David is right.)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1