Clock/Jitter Question

Author
BlindDog
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 985
2006/02/02 10:39:31 (permalink)

Clock/Jitter Question

So I'm reading through the latest Tape Op and I see this ad by Bob Ludwig for the Apogee Big Ben. The ad (supposedly quoting Bob) says "The Big Ben makes an audible improvement in even the most high-end recording/mastering chain and it can make a tremendous improvement in otherwise mediocre gear." Earlier in the magazine there's an interview with Lucas van der Mee (w/ Apogee) where he states "Some of the audible results of jitter are a flatter soundstage, a certain fuzziness in the top end and a less pronounced center".

This got me thinking. Could it be that a lot of the differences in quality between different systems is NOT:

* Sonar vs. any other program
* Minor sample rate differences (i.e. 88.2 vs. 96k)
* Dither pattern

...but rather may be due to a less-than-predictable clock source inside of the traditional Intel/AMD-based PC? On this same line of thinking, is there any information about the specifics of how the timing works in Sonar? Right now my timing masters are the Layla analog 1-2 channels, but is it reasonable to think that an external clock would really have that significant of a difference?

Of course the reason why I'm asking is that while my DAW is a monster of a box, I do feel like the soundstage could be bigger and individual pan positions could be better pronounced. Couple this with the raging "Mac vs. PC" debate and, well, I figure it's worth polling the experts here.

As a secondary question, who here is using an external clock and are you pleased with the results?

-Kevin
Accidents "happen". Success, however, is planned and executed.

7 Replies Related Threads

mlockett
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2099
    RE: Clock/Jitter Question 2006/02/02 11:14:24 (permalink)
    Hey Kevin,

There's some interesting reading here...
    http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/121708/0#msg_121708
    ...which also references some other threads. There seems to be general consensus that a better clock should produce better results, but there is debate about whether a great external clock will yield equal or better results than a decent internal clock.

According to Apogee, the clock is as big an issue as the converters (probably true, but would also server to justify their prices compared to others that use the same converters).

Also, if you haven't checked it out, there's a freebie Rightmark Audio Analyser that lets you plug a cord from an analog out, to an analog in on your sound card; it then generates a number of frequencies and compares input vs. output to determine how much is lost in a DA/AD round trip, and generates numbers and some cool little graphs. Apparently, jitter manifests itself in the distortion readings (high jitter = high distortion). It might give you an idea of how much you might gain by improving you AD/DA. They also have some numbers on their site for some common cards.

<Edit: fixed typos>
    post edited by mlockett - 2006/02/02 12:12:32
    BlindDog
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 985
    RE: Clock/Jitter Question 2006/02/02 11:43:11 (permalink)
    I didn't know about that analyzer. I've downloaded it and will be checking it out later. Thanks Mike!

-Kevin
    Accidents "happen". Success, however, is planned and executed.
    danhazer
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2053
    RE: Clock/Jitter Question 2006/02/02 11:43:24 (permalink)
    I think you are asking exactly the right questions. Out of the arguements I've heard; SONAR vs. (insert other program Here)
    Sample rate (24/96 Vs. 16/44.1)
    Dither
    The only one that really caused me to think is the clock arguement. Here's why:

I have a MOTU 2408 MK3. This deivce is said to have average converters and a somewhat below average clock. I also have a TASCAM DM24 and it has been said by an inside TASCAM source that the clock inside that board is 'amazingly stable.' Way above average for the type of board it is (maybe not high end but better than MOTU).

When I have the MOTU as the master clock source - I think - I can hear a difference between it and when I have the TASCAM as the master clock source (slaving the MOTU to it). The difference I hear is in the clarity of the high frequency material and also depth of sound field. It's very subtle, but - I think - I can hear it.

Anyway, if I really can hear a difference, then it stands to reason that a high-end clock like an Apogee would make even more of a difference. Coulple that with high-end converters and you might even get a difference that is somewhat noticable. I have yet to hear a converter or clock that causes there to be a clear 'night and day' type difference.

Thanks,
    Dan

Dan Monaghan
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Clock/Jitter Question 2006/02/02 11:58:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: danhazer

... I have yet to hear a converter or clock that causes there to be a clear 'night and day' type difference.

Thanks,
    Dan

The "night and day" story I remember hearing is on the old Mackie Digital 8 mixing console. The users report that adding the clock card and using an external clock makes a very noticeable difference even to a non-audiophile person. It may depend on how bad the existing one is.

The other issue is how many devices you are trying to get working from the same clock. If it's more then two an external clock can make the system more stable and sound better. The other cool thing about an external clock is that you can power on and off any device without bringing the entire system down. As long as your master clock is going all the other deivces will keep passing audio.

Also, some newer devices have clock signal "repair" technology built in and in this case adding an external clock to them may not make a difference unless you can turn off the repair process. Digital audio (and video for that matter) interfaces are dicy. There are more things that can go wrong then with analog and the worst of it is that there is no good way to verify how good your connection is. All digital audio interfaces are single direction and non error checking so you have no way of knowing if you have a problem or not till it gets bad enough to hear it.

TheFingers
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1669
    RE: Clock/Jitter Question 2006/02/02 12:28:17 (permalink)
    All digital audio interfaces are single direction and non error checking so you have no way of knowing if you have a problem or not till it gets bad enough to hear it.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you're saying: have you checked out RME Steady-Clock technology? I thought you had a FF800. Maybe look here:

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/steadyclock.htm

1973 "A" neck.

I'd rather be playing Bass:
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Clock/Jitter Question 2006/02/02 15:21:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: TheFingers

All digital audio interfaces are single direction and non error checking so you have no way of knowing if you have a problem or not till it gets bad enough to hear it.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you're saying: have you checked out RME Steady-Clock technology? I thought you had a FF800. Maybe look here:

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/steadyclock.htm

I'm not taking about firewire, that's not an audio only interface, it's a computer interface. I'm talking about "digital audio" interfaces like SPDIF, TDIFF, ADAT, AES/EBU, Toslink, MADI, etc. They are all single direction and non error checking. The bits go down the line and you just have to trust (hope) they all get there.

The Fireface 800 (if you use it's analog inputs and outputs) keep all that inside the box so you don't have to go out over "digital audio" interfaces. And the connections to the computer is bi-directional and error checking (somewhat). It's not the same as having more then one digital device like a digital mixer, hard disk reocrder, sound card, etc. that all have to work off the same clock and trade audio over "digial audio" lines. That is where the clock can do some good. The RME is a all in one deivce that has it's own clock.

Again some of the new clock signal repair technology like Steady-Clock or S-Lock in the Grace m902 headphone amp throws the external clock thing into question if you can't turn it off. It's going to try to "fix" a clock signal that should already very good unless you have a bad word clock cable. Who knows what you end up with after that ?
    TheFingers
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1669
    RE: Clock/Jitter Question 2006/02/02 22:24:37 (permalink)
    Whew, that explains it. For a minute there, I thought we were talking about clocking.

1973 "A" neck.

I'd rather be playing Bass:
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1