Cloned track side chaining crash issue

Author
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
2017/09/07 03:51:11 (permalink)

Cloned track side chaining crash issue

So I have run into a strange problem that I have never encountered before, and after lots of prodding and probing, I think it may have something to do with cloned tracks and side chaining.

I cloned a vocal track without events, just to quickly have a vocal track ready to go with the same i/o, fx etc as the original. Recorded a vocal section on it. This second vocal overlaps the first vocal and needs dominance, so I added a compressor to the first vocal and to the second vocal I added a send to the SC of the 1st vocal's compressor. Bang! I had cans on at the time and the SPLs squeezed my brain into a small ball from both sides - a hideous, loud noise and multiple, unrelated meters in the red in Sonar. I had to kill Sonar then try again, but having strange crashes and explosive sounds each time. It's like there's some horrific feedback issue going on which is so intense that other channel meters come out in sympathy with it! I have tried several different compressors. 

Setting up a side chain on another channel works fine, it's just between the vox channel and it's clone that the issue arises. I assume it's something to do with the cloning process as everything seems to be routed as it should be. I know that when cloning an instrument track if I change the soft synth in one, it changes it in the other too. So my hunch is that there is always some deep connection between cloned tracks even though they appear to be separate. If that is the case, how could one separate them into independent tracks?

Any ideas what's going on here?

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.

4 Replies Related Threads

taccess
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 534
    Re: Cloned track side chaining crash issue 2017/09/08 11:34:30 (permalink)
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/Long-standing-problem-when-sidechaining-from-active-synth-m3641837.aspx

z800 Dual x5690
    NvME 256gb 950Pro / Win10
    LSI  MegaRaid
    Nvidia 450 GTS
    96GB 1366MHZ
    RME Babyface
    35mm
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1105
    Re: Cloned track side chaining crash issue 2017/09/08 12:29:59 (permalink)
    taccess, hmmm interesting. Are you saying that just having a multi output synth in the project will cause this issue when sidechaining between two tracks that are not part of that multi? My sidechaining is between two vocal tracks, but I do have addictive drums routed to separate tracks - something I don't usually do, but need to in this case. I did manage to sidechain the vocal to another track while testing and that worked. The issue just seemed to be between the two vocal tracks but I haven't tested too much yet as I was going to use a work around.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
    taccess
    Re: Cloned track side chaining crash issue 2017/09/09 00:25:19 (permalink)
    A)This bug only appears/triggers on certain sidechains but not all.
    B)This bug can NOT appear with out a second primary be it whatever synth your using + a that certain side chain

I have saved projects where I have multiple triggers:
    1) I can trigger this bug by inserting a second primary onto spire or sylenth or serum or any non multi synth and then insert a side chain pre send at a certain track, which clearly shows huge spikes or a crash.
    Then I can using exact;y the same track remove the second primary and insert the exact same side chain pre send and platinum works perfectly.

2) I can use a completely different trigger again using 2 primary's on kontakt and show a crash or spikes .
    I can then remove the second kontakt primary and using the same trigger show platinum working perfectly.

I have made sure all my multi synths use only 1 x primary and if I want to split a non multi synth I use a patch point to 2 x aux tracks and YES I have checked that this works and does not expose this bug.

Anyway for the last month I have inserted more than 50 side chain pre sends and platinum does not crash does not spike and that is something I could never do EVER. Until now !

Like heavy heavy heavy heavy gating side chaining patch points and aux tracks and badasss routing all in a 300 track project running smooth more smooth than I ever dreamed and most importantly the torture is finished with this 3 year nightmare. This proves that it is not the side chain pre sends or the patch points or pre sends because the problem would still exist if it were.

Anyway I am just becoming normal again and it feels good to not be buzz killed everyday anymore.

Glad you noticed it, please try what I am saying and that problem you posted about will be gone forever.

This is something I would not wish on anyone which is why I am sharing this fix.
    I have supplied video proof of what I am saying to cakewalk and I hope the fix it fast but for me personally I don't need the fix .

Enjoy !

z800 Dual x5690
    LSI  MegaRaid
    Nvidia 450 GTS
    96GB 1366MHZ
    RME Babyface
    taccess
    Re: Cloned track side chaining crash issue 2017/09/09 00:28:10 (permalink)
    35mm
    taccess, hmmm interesting. Are you saying that just having a multi output synth in the project will cause this issue when sidechaining between two tracks that are not part of that multi? My sidechaining is between two vocal tracks, but I do have addictive drums routed to separate tracks - something I don't usually do, but need to in this case. I did manage to sidechain the vocal to another track while testing and that worked. The issue just seemed to be between the two vocal tracks but I haven't tested too much yet as I was going to use a work around.

Sorry forgot to answer your question :
    multi INPUT synth or multi primary's that input a synth be it multi or not + a certain side chain pre sends = YES .

z800 Dual x5690
    LSI  MegaRaid
    Nvidia 450 GTS
    96GB 1366MHZ
    RME Babyface
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1