Coloring clips in the groove matrix?

Author
scha038
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 288
2005/08/12 09:51:35 (permalink)

Coloring clips in the groove matrix?

Is it possible to chage the colors of the seperate clips in the groove matrix, to get a more "grouped" overview. It seems coloring is now random?

11 Replies Related Threads

mike85021
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1532
    RE: Coloring clips in the groove matrix? 2005/08/12 13:15:56 (permalink)
    It woud be great to be able to pick your own colors for grouping purposes in the Groove Matrix as well as in the tracks, but alas, this is probably a feature of P5v4.5 or later.

Mikey T
    Eclectica de Esoterium
  • mike85021 @cox.net
    Just say NO!
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: Coloring clips in the groove matrix? 2005/08/12 13:41:23 (permalink)

didn't somebody just keep duplicating a pattern till they got the color they wanted?

if you choose to follow that method be sure to wipe the unused patterns from your project file before saving.

I haven't even noticed -- is the color selection in a fixed sequence or is it random?
    How many colors?

Any favorite colors?
    When color selection is available, shouldn't we have certain color schemes available per track or device chain type type. That would be ideal -- all drum tracks within a range of orange/red. Pads within blue/green, etc.

I'll bet somebody can tell us that other hosts do this already and we don't know what we're missing.

oroboros
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 901
    RE: Coloring clips in the groove matrix? 2005/08/13 03:37:58 (permalink)
    is the color selection in a fixed sequence or is it random
    It's fixed, I believe.
    I'll bet somebody can tell us that other hosts do this already and we don't know what we're missing.
    As a matter of fact, FLStudio can do this, though I don't use it much.

To think, at one time P5 was a $429 MSRP app.

I think that technology and music has always been together, and I think music is science, anyway. - Vangelis

The Other P5 Forum
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Coloring clips in the groove matrix? 2005/08/13 10:30:48 (permalink)
    It's fixed, I believe.
    Yes it is. Available in 15 brilliant colors (with a selected pattern color variation for each). Favorites? Numbers 4, 5, 9, and 15 in the sequence: deep red, blue, purple, & orange. Turnoffs? Those brown, army fatigue green, & fuschia ones [#7, #13, and #14]. I really don't care for the fact that the selected patterns become darker shades, either, but what'cha gonna do? Last I remember this was a synth workstation; not a graphics program. j/k

If you really want to fix the sequence, edit the Project5.ini file line UsePatColors=1, and change it to 0. You'll get the #4 Red pattern every time. Then put on some rose-colored glasses, and your mix will appear much better than before. It'll even sound better than it did before. Oh, and don't bother using other non-zero values in the Project5.ini line. The sequence still remains the same, unless you enter an extremely accurate value of pi.

Edit: Actually, I originally posted a 16-color sequence, but loading sixteen patterns cycles back to the beginning of the sequence again. So it's 15 distinct colors, plus the variation for each. Perhaps the 16th bit is the flag for selected/unselected variations. And, yes, I did take the time to map this out. OCD strikes again.
    post edited by b rock - 2005/08/13 11:05:05
    mike85021
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1532
    RE: Coloring clips in the groove matrix? 2005/08/13 10:36:07 (permalink)

I think SOANR 4 lets you pick... Mebbe not -- I do't use it very often.

Mikey T
    Eclectica de Esoterium
  • mike85021 @cox.net
    Just say NO!
    scha038
    RE: Coloring clips in the groove matrix? 2005/08/13 10:41:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mike85021

I think SOANR 4 lets you pick... Mebbe not -- I do't use it very often.

The thing is that Sonar 4 has them, but don't use them there. Her in the Groove matrix i think it would be nice when using it in a live situation. The more I think/use Project5 the less I found it a solution for live use. and it's not about coloring
    jardim do mar
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1247
    RE: Coloring clips in the groove matrix? 2005/08/13 11:05:50 (permalink)
    to get a more "grouped" overview
    ,,, do you "name" the lanes in the "groove matrix",,,,,, what i do is,,,,, have ,,verse,,, bridge,, hook,,, break,,,,,guitar,, solo, marcella" (for doing harmonies),,,,and end,,,,,, these are asssigned to midi notes ,, which i "trigger", and use the same for ,,most 'live performances,,, i have tape on my keys,, that correspond to the "lanes in the matrix,,,,,,(for quicker,,,results,,,) ya know,,, it's all on the fly,, and quite effective,,, the more time you put into your" set up' ,, IMHO,,the more effective it will be for "live performance,,,,,

marcella
    And Remember,,,,One thing at a Time.....
    scha038
    RE: Coloring clips in the groove matrix? 2005/08/13 12:10:49 (permalink)
    Yeah I know what your talking about. I was thinking about using colored clips. Green for drums, blue for basses etc. Use same colored stickers on my keyboard with the names the same as my clip names and trigger them. Also have some groove tracks triggerd is a good option. Besides that I want to assign some assugn some faders of my peavey1600x to filters )filter/resonance) of instrument 1 till 3want to trigger. Name them instrument 1 till 3 so I can see in Project which they are )Oscar/Pro5/and synthX. These canbe different on each song, as long as they called indtrument 1-3 i know which is going to be triggered by the faders.
    One thing that is still on my mind is how the hell I could have one song sound the same in levels as the other, adjusting quicly the kick because it is less louder is a pain. Have to click to much and another thing is how to go from one song to the other witohut having "silence" Maybe running a stand alone softsampler in the background is an option
    jardim do mar
    RE: Coloring clips in the groove matrix? 2005/08/13 13:19:31 (permalink)
    One thing that is still on my mind

ya can compose your ,,,"show',, in p5,,,,, (it might take a,,day,,, week ,,,a month,,,and you will keep experiementing,,,,,,a powerful feature is "tempo automation",,, line up your songs,,, and apply the tempo's ,, accordingly,,,,, once you have that all set up,,,,, all your "midi" and any groove clipped" files will ,,,,,,,follow each, songs tempo,,,, ya know,,,,,, now ,,this will open ,,a "world of options",,,,,, applying automated events ,,,,,for each song,,,,, etc,,,, along with any "live playing of synths,,,,, i use p5 ,,,mainly as an instrument, along with other musicians,,,,,, but,, have performed "solo",,,, playing with "pre-recorded/arranged ,,,music" as described above,,,,,,,,i find p5's audio engine,,,, very stable,,,30 minutes of audio ,, (not a skip,,, i'm,,,,,,,,,,,using a rather basic laptop,,,,, i try to avoid ,, "mouse clicking",,,,, during "live play",,,, most if ,,,,,, not ,,,,,all is remote triggered,,,,,

marcella
    scha038
    RE: Coloring clips in the groove matrix? 2005/08/13 13:56:58 (permalink)
    are you saying you have all your songs in 1 project 5?
    I first set project up using triggering clips, there fore i wanted different colors. now i am expermenting using triggering of complete lans. where predefinied sets are in. i have on my peavey controller 16 faders and 16 knobs. i hope i have enough knobs (16) to have all my lanes triggeriged by this. otherwise i need to use my keyboard insteds. how many do you use as an avarage?
    jardim do mar
    RE: Coloring clips in the groove matrix? 2005/08/14 10:38:56 (permalink)
    are you saying you have all your songs in 1 project 5?
    ,,,oh my ,,yes ,this is "one method",,,,indeed,, a " pre-composed arrangement',, in p5,,,, i'll have 6- 7 songs ,,, each on a ,,,audio track,, about 1gb of wave files,,,, tempo's are all laid out,,,, and any ,,, other surprises,,, at times,,,psyn2,, and dimensions ,,,inserted,,,,,,, doing ,,,"on the fly "patch changes,,, not a skip,,, in the audio engine,,,,,,,, i do ,,get the other players,, well ya know ,,, all worked up,, to out play me,,,( which is good,, for performing), since ,,,,they "still refuse" to ,,,, accept,,, computerized,,, music,,,, composition,, /playing/performing,,,, but ,,ya know who always,,,;wins",,,,,, the on the fly patch changes ,, leaves them ,, well ya know,,,,, looking at their instrument ,, in dismay,
    the "other method" is ,,,triggering ,,, the "lanesin the matrix,,,,, which are ,,pre-arranged,,, ,,there are more ,,,,methods,,, i'm still learning,,,, ya know,,,, (the "note fiters" are just splendid,,,,
    how many do you use as an avarage?
    well,,,lets say at tiimes ,,i use a radium 61,,,, oxygen 8,, and my favorite,,, real time,,,,,,,,, performing sampler the,,,,,,, sp-606,,,,,,,,,, a," women can do" only so much ,,ya know,,,,,
    post edited by jardim do mar - 2005/08/14 11:04:08

marcella
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1