Comcast: Be afraid, be very afraid!

Author
Susan G
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12016
2008/10/24 15:05:58 (permalink)

Comcast: Be afraid, be very afraid!

Hi All-

I'm on hold with them, have been for a long time. I was connected once, then the "Supervisor" hung up on me, so I called back. I'm now told I'm on hold for 30 minutes or more. That's ok, I can outwait them!

The problem is they've been re-sending e-mails from 11/06 and later since yesterday, so my Inbox is totally clogged and useless. I can't send or receive e-mail.

They had the audacity to say they only support Outlook. I've used Agent forever, never had a problem until several months ago, when they agreed it was a problem on their end, and deleted messages, supposedly.

And now I'm taking a trip down memory lane, having received multiple copies of e-mails from at least 2 years ago.

P.S. I'm still on hold... what a shabby operation!

Thanks-

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64

10 Replies Related Threads

DW_Mike
    Max Output Level: -6 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6907
    RE: Comcast: Be afraid, be very afraid! 2008/10/24 15:39:17 (permalink)
    I feel your pain Susan . I dumped Comcast all together. For me the final straw was the way they would just increase my cable bill whenever they wanted with little or no explanation. Went with Verizon FIOS and have had zero issues over the last 6 months. And the best part is phone, cable and Internet for $95 per month.
    Good riddance Comcast.

Mike

Sonar X3 ~ Scarlett 18i6 ~ Home Build DAW  
    GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
    32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite (4x8) 
    2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
    1TB WD Black HDD @ 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB 
    Corsair H80i Liquid cooler 
    Noctua Silent Fans ~ 3x120mm ~ 1x140mm 
    Seasonic Platinum 760w PSU 
    Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
    Susan G
    RE: Comcast: Be afraid, be very afraid! 2008/10/24 21:11:03 (permalink)
    Hi Mike-

It definitely seems like a Mickey Mouse operation, certainly in terms of their Tech Support. I didn't really have many choices where I am (out in the boondocks) -- no FIOS here yet, and my Verizon phone bills were crazy.

I have the Comcast "bundle", which is also $95 a month (maybe $99), but the support is so bad that I would change in a heartbeat if I had an alternative.

After all that time on hold the only answer I got was that they're still looking into it. Thanks, Comcast!

Thanks-

-Susan

Anubis
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1059
    RE: Comcast: Be afraid, be very afraid! 2008/10/25 00:40:27 (permalink)
    What a coincidence, I had to deal with them today also and all I can say is that their techs are clueless. After spending 30 min. with them on the phone and getting nowhere I tried the live "chat" support at which time they finally admitted that there was a power outtage somewhere and thus a system problem not on my end. Thank goodness I didn't jump thru hoops as they suggested like disconnecting this and that.
    ORIGINAL: Susan G

Hi Mike-

It definitely seems like a Mickey Mouse operation, certainly in terms of their Tech Support. I didn't really have many choices where I am (out in the boondocks) -- no FIOS here yet, and my Verizon phone bills were crazy.

I have the Comcast "bundle", which is also $95 a month (maybe $99), but the support is so bad that I would change in a heartbeat if I had an alternative.

After all that time on hold the only answer I got was that they're still looking into it. Thanks, Comcast!

Thanks-

-Susan

X2Studio_Win7(64)_SamsungChronos_QuNexus_QuNeo_Axiom25_Saffire24Pro_Saffire6USB_EdirolPCR300_Nocturn
    Amplitubes_AmpegSVX_StylusRMX_SampleTank/Tron_Komplete7_AddictiveDrums_TRacks3_Wavelab6
    miTunes
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Comcast: Be afraid, be very afraid! 2008/10/25 09:04:10 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear about this. I did a leap of faith with their service earlier this year and signed up for phone, TV and internet. I worried about putting all my eggs in a single basket and still do. We've had Comcast cable TV service for years and generally found it reliable so I figured, how bad can it be? The phone service I like because I can now call anywhere in the US for one monthly rate and even international rates were lower than what we used to pay. The only problem is that our phone service has been down 3 or 4 times since we've signed up. I can't recall, in my entire lifetime ever losing phone service. Perhaps an isolated incident here or there but never like this. It usually comes back on within a short while.

Internet service - so far nothing bad to report except that they are now throttling internet connection bandwidth speeds due to a few bad eggs using up all the bandwidth. They claim it won't affect the average user. We'll see. I'm not a big bandwidth user. Never have been so I don't expect problems.

TV - worse than before. The new digital standard isn't reliable. Constant blackouts. Constant service interruptions even on regular local channels. Forget On-Demand. It seems to depend on the time of day though. I called once or twice to complain but their answer to everything is unplug the box and wait 5 minutes. People with HD are complaining that the quality of the picture (due to digital compression) is no better than regular TV. I guess trying to squeeze all that data on a single copper wire is a problem.

Well, hope you get your problems resolved. There's always WOW!

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Comcast: Be afraid, be very afraid! 2008/10/25 11:01:53 (permalink)
    The best HDTV pictures are from the outside HD antenna on your roof. Those signals are not compressed. All satellite and cable HD is compressed and yeah...sometimes it's really bad.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Susan G
    RE: Comcast: Be afraid, be very afraid! 2008/10/25 13:52:23 (permalink)
    Hi Larry, et. al.:

No good news at all, I'm afraid.

Each time I've called Comcast before they've said they're working on it. I tried again this afternoon, gave them my ticket# again, and asked the tech to read the notes to me again. She put me on hold for a long while, then said "It looks like you're getting lots of e-mails"! I told her that wasn't the issue; rather, I was getting multiple re-downloads of e-mails from as far back as 11/06, thousands of them, so I couldn't get my current e-mail.

Another run-around with her supervisor, who finally told me they don't support *any* 3rd-party software, including even MS Outlook (which I've never used and never would). He also told me the ticked was marked "Resolved", since it's not their problem, acc. to him.

I told him (as I'd told 6 others before him) that I have 5 comcast e-mail addresses, and that one has as many as 2,116 *pages* of undeleted e-mails. Nothing they can do, he assured me. I told him this happened once before and they were able to delete them. No record of that, he said. Very sorry for the inconvenience.

I'm in the process of deleting all of this manually, and the most I can do is 100 posts at a time, 190 pages to go on just one of my e-mail accounts.

I told Matthew he'd lost a customer, and of course that bothered him not in the least.

I don't know if there's another "bundle" -- ISP, Cable TV, Digital Voice -- available here, but I'll change in a heartbeat if there is, and I'll change my ISP regardless.

What's esp. weird is that he started out saying this is a known issue, then ended up saying he didn't see any problems on my account but also said he couldn't log in to my account to check it out. They've done this before, just asked my permission to change my password temporarily. This guy just bailed altogether, then had the gall to ask if there was anything else he could help me with today!

-Susan

larrymcg
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1310
    RE: Comcast: Be afraid, be very afraid! 2008/10/25 17:33:24 (permalink)
    Comcast has been migrating their email app to a new implementation. I don't really care since I use Thunderbird to access my Comcast email. However, on the Comcast help & support forums, I think you might find some other folks with issues like you are seeing. My account has been migrated to the new implementation and everything kept working fine. Guess I'm just lucky. You can take a look at
    http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/
    to see if there is a solution posted by anyone.
    Good luck,
    Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
    Susan G
    RE: Comcast: Be afraid, be very afraid! 2008/10/26 10:27:41 (permalink)
    Hi Larry-

I use Agent as my e-mail client, and of course they pointed the finger there even though I've been using it successfully for I guess a decade or more.

I'll check out the link you provided - thanks!

-Susan

inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Comcast: Be afraid, be very afraid! 2008/10/27 18:55:48 (permalink)
    What, specifically, is the issue with the mail?
    Is it something like this:
    - you've been connecting and getting emails for a while
    - you suddenly are getting duplicates of old emails, perhaps even some of which you "deleted" locally

Is that close?

If so, do you have "leave email on server" checked, or unchecked (or whatever its called in agent... should be something like that)?

I've seen this type of issue before when I've had "leave email on server" checked, and then my isp went through some maintenance. At the end of it, from the perspective of my email client, all of the emails were new. They looked new, and so it downloaded them again.

What is comcasts email protocol? IMAP? POP3?
    I'm guessing pop3, if my assumption of the problem is correct.

Unfortunately, POP3 is not a "smart" email protocol, and unfortunately this type of thing is common with it. With POP, as opposed to something smarter, like IMAP, it's the client that keeps up with read/unread/etc... if the migrate to a new server, and don't make an exact copy, your client's logic for keeping up with this type of thing is hosed, and you'll get a bunch of "new" emails... from years before.

Is there a webmail UI option for this account?

- zevo
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Comcast: Be afraid, be very afraid! 2008/11/06 21:04:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: krizrox

Internet service - so far nothing bad to report except that they are now throttling internet connection bandwidth speeds due to a few bad eggs using up all the bandwidth. They claim it won't affect the average user. We'll see. I'm not a big bandwidth user. Never have been so I don't expect problems.

Larry it's been going on in countries outside the US for years, I think Oz is really capped net wise.. the uk has a thing called "fair use policy" which is basically a term/condition disguised, so on their adverts they can put "unlimited downloads" with a "*" and a disclaimer

I have received 1 warning about downloading linux at peak time.. all 4.6 or so Gb of it... why because they wrote me a letter a week before saying they were doing "upgrades" and the service would be down for 2 hours... 2 hours? try 4 days.. so forced me to download in peak times, as normally I'll do downloads off peak late at night.

thing is, most houses have a router and say 2-4 pc's.... so it's not that difficult to max out the bandwidth I guess.

you can use the electric cable (wall sockets) in the UK to transmit internet also, it's used on the underground trains for their radio system.. they trialled it for a while and nothing more was heard of it.

Susan, of late your having a bit of a time.. the academic upgrade thingy... the psu going.. and now this... thats the 3 bad things out of the way.. some nice things now to follow.
    post edited by Fog - 2008/11/06 21:05:28
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1