Come Unto Me- Revisited

Author
theguitarplayer
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3523
2011/11/11 10:51:42 (permalink)

Come Unto Me- Revisited

Greetings to all,
I have revisited this old piece and done a few inhencements to it. I hope you will comment on the new mix and let me know your thoughts. There is a second drum beat in the background that is suppose to give the feeling of a heartbeat. My singing isn't the best in the world, but the effort is what is important, for me. I don't have the original seperate tracks anymore, so it would be hard to do very much editting to the song other than a few basics, but I think the song turned out not to bad for what I have to work with. So, your thoughts are important to me. I hope you enjoy the song and its message. Blessings to all. 
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10774325  Come Unto Me 
John
post edited by theguitarplayer - 2011/11/11 10:52:45

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy

8 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Come Unto Me- Revisited 2011/11/11 13:54:49 (permalink)
    Sounds like Steppenwolf's The Pusher when it starts.

Listening on computer speakers. 

I had a hard time listening to the song.  It has to much reverb, and that made it hard to hear details. It did sound like there are some timing or track sync issues under it all though. 

You said you did not have the original tracks. So, seriously, my recommendation would be to record the tracks again so that you have the individual tracks and can then work with this on a track level as opposed to trying to fix what sounds like a mix that needs work.  Reverb & EQ can not fix something that wasn't mix right and has levels that are not correct relative to each other. 

What I mean is the vocals were not loud enough and the guitar was a bit to loud. Having the individual tracks would let you fix things like that. 

So... if it was mine, I'd take the time to record the tracks properly and start again, with help from the people here to help you tune in a sweet mix on this song. All it takes is the time to lay down a few tracks. 

That's my 2 centavos... for what it's worth. 

edit: I went back for a second listen specifically to see if I could understand the words clearly...... nope. I have no clue what the words are. In a "christian" song... the words are probably the single most important thing in the song.... they must be clear, and setting above the music, not hidden in reverb and buried in the mix. 

record it again so you can work the mix better. 

I mean this in the kindest and most sincere way possible. 
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/11/11 14:00:04

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    bayoubill
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re:Come Unto Me- Revisited 2011/11/11 16:09:44 (permalink)
    Hi John, the tremolo IMHO isn't needed at all on the guitar. It takes away from the rhythmic feel of the song. Vocals need to be as said up front. I believe you should record it again at a slightly slower tempo. Take your time with it and let it develop. I hope I have helped. 

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:Come Unto Me- Revisited 2011/11/11 21:57:41 (permalink)
    John, there are some timing anomalies in the rhythm guitar. But I like the vibe.

All you need is love, just ask the Beatles?
    ----------
    theguitarplayer
    Re:Come Unto Me- Revisited 2011/11/11 22:22:40 (permalink)
    Thanks for the imput guys. I will have to tatally redo the entire song as I don't have any of the old original wave files of the individual tracks. I lost alot of songs when my old computer crashed and was lucky to have the mixes on a disc. Thanks for the advice, I know what I have to do to make everything better, i.e., start from scratch. Sorry you couldn't make out the words. Thanks again.

Blessings, John

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Come Unto Me- Revisited 2011/11/12 08:49:31 (permalink)
    John....

Take the time to redo the song. It will be a good learning experience for you. 

Also.... go to Staples or some other store that sells computers and stuff. Buy one of those 1Terabyte external drives, and when you finish a song, copy the entire song folder into the backup drive. 

I actually have 2 backup drives. In the DAW I have a large C drive for my OS and programs.... and there is a huge D drive that is for sample libraries and back up storage... then I also have a 1TB external. 

So my files are in 2 different places. The chance that both fail at the same time are small. AND, the D drive in the machine can be swapped into another machine if the MOBO dies. 

With the low cost of CD's and DVD's you can also burn the files to disk as bundles and projects. 

BUT... Back up what you consider irreplaceable.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    theguitarplayer
    Re:Come Unto Me- Revisited 2011/11/12 11:44:40 (permalink)
    guitarhacker, I already have a teribite computer, running intel core i7 and you won't believe what else. The fact remains, without my original wave files I'm screwed on all my songs and so a redo is in order. Sad, but true. I also have a side drive for my new songs of 280 giga bytes, but will from now on put everything on discs. Thanksfor the imput though.

Blessings, John

evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Come Unto Me- Revisited 2011/11/12 13:39:28 (permalink)
    Yeah, buddy, I couldn't understand the lyrics at all and it seemed a bit jumbled, maybe the drums did that to me.  I think you have a start but just need to rethink the recording.  Good start.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    theguitarplayer
    Re:Come Unto Me- Revisited 2011/11/14 09:25:55 (permalink)
    Thanks all, Yes, I think I have a good song here but need to re-record as the wave file are lost and the only way to properly do anything for any track adjustments is to have new tracks, so they can be worked with individually. I do appreciate everyone listening to the song.I can hear the vocals and make most of them out, but like you all have said they should be up front and clear. Thanks again.

Blessings, John

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1