Como un lunar (Like a birthmark)

Author
NoKey
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 974
2010/07/18 10:41:13 (permalink)

Como un lunar (Like a birthmark)

Dear forum people,

This is a lesser known song of Alvaro Carrillo, author also of "La Mentira" known in English as "Yellow Days", and many, more great songs...Humble composer who, as such, met death in an tragic car accident, as his traveling from city to city was often done  in his own small car.

That somber day, he was traveling with his wife and children. Only 2 of the children survived. They are adults already.

"Como un lunar" translates to "Like a birthmark".

It is a great theme about forgiveness.

The story is about a having-done-wrong loved one being told "come back to me, we all can carry a stain, ... like a birthmark. Don't worry about what others say..Those are terrible people, excessively good...They don't understand..They seem to forgive, but are always condemning others.. Much more than your faults, is worth, one single thread of your hair." 

I hope I can translate this song someday into English, to match its music, and the theme.

Uses a jazz ballad rhythm, played at once on two keyboards, improvising Piano, Organ, and Saxophone (which I rarely do). The vocals I did re-do, as well as due Sonar audio adjustments, most based on what I have been learning from this great forum.

VERSION NOW CORRECTED as per forum members suggestions:

http://www.soundclick.com...857&songID=9414093

Thank you for any suggestions on how to improve.  If you happen to like it, the effort will not have been in vain.
post edited by NoKey - 2010/07/20 10:12:49

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857

11 Replies Related Threads

NoKey
    Re:Como un lunar (Like a birthmark) 2010/07/19 05:52:29 (permalink)
    Dear people,

I have completely replaced this song with a very different and complete version and arrangement.

It now is a jazz-ballad rhythm with improvised sax, piano, and organ.

I would very much appreciate feedback on how to improve, and hope it is not too bad.

Thank you.
    post edited by NoKey - 2010/07/19 05:53:41

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    NoKey
    Re:Como un lunar (Like a birthmark) 2010/07/19 05:54:23 (permalink)
    Dear people,

I have completely replaced this song with a very different and complete version and arrangement.

It now is a jazz-ballad rhythm with improvised sax, piano, and organ.

I would very much appreciate feedback on how to improve.

I hope it is not too bad, .... and even that you might like it.

Thank you.

post edited by NoKey - 2010/07/19 05:59:46

chrome
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re:Como un lunar (Like a birthmark) 2010/07/19 07:30:24 (permalink)
    The best thing about the tune is the vox, sounds sincere and urgent, I think the organ isnt the right sound for the song, should be more mellow and dark I think. I would have based the song on the piano improvisations, keeping the organ very simple, merely chord progression, and give roome for the sax.

The drums could use more variations, and perhaps just keep hihat/ride onsome parts, and then fill in with snare and so.

A prominent old upright bass would also suit it.

BRing up the vox, I had to listen for it. The vox should be the first thing that starts to hurt your ears when you listen loud.

listening to laptop, so other mix details went pass me :D

But, I would like to hear a more minimalistic approach to the song.

my 0.02 USD

/T

void
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Como un lunar (Like a birthmark) 2010/07/19 09:23:04 (permalink)
    I really like the song.   Vocals are fine.  Organ sounds great. Mix needs some tweeking.  Bring vox up front, turn down the delay on the drums,  Put an eq on the master buss and experiment with brightening it up slightly.
    Very nice song.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    NoKey
    Re:Como un lunar (Like a birthmark) 2010/07/19 18:51:53 (permalink)
    Thank you Chrome and No How for your comments.

I will attend to them and see what I can come up with.

If there was some amenity in listening to it, I am most encouraged to improve.

NoKey
    Re:Como un lunar (Like a birthmark) 2010/07/20 10:06:42 (permalink)
    Hi again good people,

I have already corrected the above song as suggested.

Toned down the organ, brought up the vocals, did some mix adjustments, and added hardware equalization from the sound card.

A check to see if it there was improvement would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:Como un lunar (Like a birthmark) 2010/07/20 17:44:04 (permalink)
    I obviously missed the original version so I can't say whether this is better or not and as I don't really listen to much in this genre I may not be the best person to comment anyway, but for what it's worth I thought you captured a real atmosphere here. Made me think of darkened smokey rooms where everyone just sits quietly, chills out and takes in the music. I'm not sure that the organ sound really suits the song, could maybe use something sodter and more mellow. Just my opinion as a listener - I don't claim to be any kind of expert. Enjoyed the listen anyway so thanks for sharing.
    NoKey
    Re:Como un lunar (Like a birthmark) 2010/07/20 18:22:47 (permalink)
    Thank you paulo for listening and taking the time to comment.

I will rest the song as is for a while and then later do apply a different organ tone or even substitute it for something else. This last time I just did not want to leave empty space there, so I just lowered its volumes.

Since this are my first attempts into putting out something complete, and to put it out for being checked, I am very appreciative of the suggestions offered.

rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    Re:Como un lunar (Like a birthmark) 2010/07/20 19:13:13 (permalink)
    The vox are great in this but the other instruments do not seem to be in the same room.

Some of the instruments also seem to be off beat at times giving the piece an off-kilter feel. Maybe that is what you wanted?

Keep trying different mixes and you will find what you like the most.

Ron

geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Como un lunar (Like a birthmark) 2010/07/20 20:02:14 (permalink)
    I really like the song and I love your vocal.

At times the instruments don't seem focused but,

IMO it adds to the overall vibe of the recording

which I like a lot.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    NoKey
    Re:Como un lunar (Like a birthmark) 2010/07/20 20:25:08 (permalink)
    Thanks a lot rolifer for your valuable comments...Part of my self imposed learning is catching this things you mention, including to improve on my limited playing skills, among all so many other things..This is indeed a vast field, specially when one is  all on its own!

Geare1, thank you for your pointing out about the focusing of the instruments..I am sure it has to be with my need to improve there too...I am hoping that when I clear some technical hurdles I might really get to improve the playing skills and the vocals...I find it encouraging that you liked it. Thanks!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1