Comp two tracks at once?

Author
chrisby
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 248
2008/05/21 18:25:26 (permalink)

Comp two tracks at once?

I'm recording an acoustic guitar through a mic and at the same time also through it's pickup into two seperate tracks and then want to comp them both with the mute tool from a few takes. So basically I have two tracks with 3 layers each. I searched to see if this was covered before and the only solution I saw was to put the two tracks togeather in a folder. I did that but still don't really see how that address it. The only solution I can think of is to take the tracks into soundforge and create stereo tracks with track 1 layer 1 on the left side and track 2 layer 1 on the right side, etc., for each track and then bring it back in and comp it as stereo (then break them apart later). Not sure if that will even work. The problem is I'm working in a noisy environment so there are lots of little background noises to remove (in addition to my own screwups) so it'll be a lot to do manually. Is there a better way? Am I missing something with the folders approach? Thanks for any info...
post edited by chrisby - 2008/05/21 18:48:31

23 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Comp two tracks at once? 2008/05/21 18:30:38 (permalink)
    You can do this in sonar, i do it all the time. you can do it with seperate tracks or with track layers(all in one track). On the track that has the layers, right click on the edge of the track ware the DB scale is and select view layers, if the layers are not shown.. After that is done, then jsut use the mute tool and go to town, when your done you can bounce it to one track or leave it how it is, its very easy to do in sonar. folsders are a good way to keep things neat
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    chrisby
    RE: Comp two tracks at once? 2008/05/21 19:30:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

You can do this in sonar, i do it all the time. you can do it with seperate tracks or with track layers(all in one track). On the track that has the layers, right click on the edge of the track ware the DB scale is and select view layers, if the layers are not shown.. After that is done, then jsut use the mute tool and go to town, when your done you can bounce it to one track or leave it how it is, its very easy to do in sonar. folsders are a good way to keep things neat
    Cj

Thanks for the quick reply... but I think maybe I didn't explain it well (or I'm misunderstanding your reply). In your example say I do that on track one (mic'ed acoustic track) and comp the three layers (takes) down to into one composit take... how would I get the exact same comp's done on track two (direct acoustic via pickup, same three takes) or can it only be done manually? Thanks again for the reply...
    post edited by chrisby - 2008/05/21 19:52:15
    chrisby
    RE: Comp two tracks at once? 2008/05/22 05:02:23 (permalink)
    just a followup for anyone trying to do this in the future... I couldn't find a way to make it work but the soundforge thing above worked pretty well. You just open two mono tracks at once with soundforge with the "Merge L/R to Stereo" option checked and it'll build the stereo file...
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    RE: Comp two tracks at once? 2008/05/22 08:57:47 (permalink)
    What do you mean by "comp them both with the mute tool"? What are "comps"?

Are you wanting to make 1 track out of multiple layers or what?

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    chrisby
    RE: Comp two tracks at once? 2008/05/22 09:53:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mudgel

What do you mean by "comp them both with the mute tool"? What are "comps"?

Are you wanting to make 1 track out of multiple layers or what?

Well like in this Cakewalk video only imagine a second copy of the layers (one copy a mic'ed acoustic, the other one direct) in a different track...

Track Layers and Comping (SONAR 4): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsp_fM5Eiew

mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    RE: Comp two tracks at once? 2008/05/22 10:45:14 (permalink)
    You don't have to go into Sound Forge.
    just bounce track 1 layer 1 and track 2 layer 1 into a new combined track
    then bounce track 1 layer 2 and track 2 layer 2 into a new track
    then bounce track 3 layer 3 and track 2 layer 3 into a new track

then take your 3 new clips and put (layer) them into a stereo track. You can mute and pan the 3 clips/ layers to your hearts content from there and you'll have a stereo track.

that is if I'm understanding you correctly.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    CoteRotie
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: Comp two tracks at once? 2008/05/22 11:19:13 (permalink)
    I've had this exact same situation. One instrument, two mics, two tracks, several takes, each take in a layer on both tracks. Now you want to comp the takes (assemble the layers from each track into one performance) exactly the same way for each track. There's no way to apply the edits in one track (mute/solo/slice/however you do it) to the other track with the identical performance captured through a different microphone. I'm not sure how such a feature (apply edits to multiple tracks?) would even work, but it seems like it should be do-able. Of course you can do it manually, but it's a pain.

Regards,

John
    post edited by CoteRotie - 2008/05/22 11:41:57

Wait, wait, what key is it in? 

GA-X58A-UD3 motherboard
    Intel i7 950 CPU w/12 G RAM
    ATI Radeon 4350 graphics
    3 cats 1 crazydog
    Lynx AES16/Aurora 8
    SCA N72 J99 & A12 pres. Adam A7 Monitors
    Win 10  
    SONAR Platinum 64 bit 
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    RE: Comp two tracks at once? 2008/05/22 12:47:59 (permalink)
    My way to handle this is as follows:

First, if needed, I slice both tracks in a folder to appopriate clips.
    Then I take care of track one: I position an empty track below or above it to which I drag the layerclips I choose using the method CJ described. I loop the portion and on every playback round I choose a new clip by soloing it clicking the icon where the track starts. Earlier I used to immediately delete the clips I did not like, but finishing the task is easier, if you let everything stay (so tracks 1 and 2 remain visually identical).

The point is I don't drag-copy them, but leave an empty "slot" on the original layered track. Now when I want to get an identical comp from track two, I put an empty track beside it and do the dragging picking always the clip that has an empty slot on track one. It's really fast, because the visual info is so clear. You can comp track two in two minutes even if theres close to hundred clips to drag. Then I archive the originals.

I find just muting the clips I don't like (leaving them on the track) uncomfortable, 'cause it's much harder to see what's happening, when the track is very crowded.

But of course, something like "apply edits to multiple tracks" would be fine.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    CoteRotie
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: Comp two tracks at once? 2008/05/22 13:54:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Kalle Rantaaho

My way to handle this is as follows:

First, if needed, I slice both tracks in a folder to appopriate clips.
    Then I take care of track one: I position an empty track below or above it to which I drag the layerclips I choose using the method CJ described. I loop the portion and on every playback round I choose a new clip by soloing it clicking the icon where the track starts. Earlier I used to immediately delete the clips I did not like, but finishing the task is easier, if you let everything stay (so tracks 1 and 2 remain visually identical).

The point is I don't drag-copy them, but leave an empty "slot" on the original layered track. Now when I want to get an identical comp from track two, I put an empty track beside it and do the dragging picking always the clip that has an empty slot on track one. It's really fast, because the visual info is so clear. You can comp track two in two minutes even if theres close to hundred clips to drag. Then I archive the originals.

I find just muting the clips I don't like (leaving them on the track) uncomfortable, 'cause it's much harder to see what's happening, when the track is very crowded.

But of course, something like "apply edits to multiple tracks" would be fine.

Nice technique. I like using the solo tool for comping, but in the case of having two tracks that I needed to comp the same way I'm going to try the above technique next time, thanks!

John

Wait, wait, what key is it in? 

GA-X58A-UD3 motherboard
    Intel i7 950 CPU w/12 G RAM
    ATI Radeon 4350 graphics
    3 cats 1 crazydog
    Lynx AES16/Aurora 8
    SCA N72 J99 & A12 pres. Adam A7 Monitors
    Win 10  
    SONAR Platinum 64 bit 
    mwall
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1262
    RE: Comp two tracks at once? 2008/05/22 14:07:43 (permalink)
    You can put the tracks in a folder and edit the main folder track once to affect all tracks within, or you can highlight the multiple tracks/layers you want to edit, and all will be edited at the same time.

More details here:
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1176731&mpage=1&key=edit�

Mark
    -----
    Some tunes:
    http://www.reverbnation.com/markwallace
    http://www.soundclick.com/markwallace 

DAW: SONAR X3 Producer; GA-P35-DS3L; Q6600; OCZ 8GB DDR2 800; Win8 64-bit; Gina 3G.
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    RE: Comp two tracks at once? 2008/05/22 14:26:30 (permalink)
    Mwall, I don't have a chance to try this now, but can you really audition, mute or solo single clips on one folder track (with several layers) without affecting the other track(s). I've taken it obvious that any click on a folder track affects all the tracks, and that's why I haven't checked this method further.

I mean that even though I'm making identical comps of the two tracks I want to audition the clips individually to spot possible foot tapping noises, plosives etc., that could sneak through the net if auditioned together with the other clip(s).

Maybe I have to look at this with open eys
    post edited by Kalle Rantaaho - 2008/05/22 14:47:30

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    mwall
    RE: Comp two tracks at once? 2008/05/22 15:05:12 (permalink)
    but can you really audition, mute or solo single clips on one folder track (with several layers) without affecting the other track(s).

No, I think you still have to solo the track you want to hear if you are just listening to one track. But I was giving a solution to the OP, who was recording identical tracks, with, I assumed, identical noises. So he could solo one track but edit both at the same time. Make sense? Or maybe I misunderstood what the OP wanted.

Mark
    -----
    Some tunes:

DAW: SONAR X3 Producer; GA-P35-DS3L; Q6600; OCZ 8GB DDR2 800; Win8 64-bit; Gina 3G.
    brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    RE: Comp two tracks at once? 2008/05/22 15:22:36 (permalink)
    I'm recording an acoustic guitar through a mic and at the same time also through it's pickup into two seperate tracks and then want to comp them both with the mute tool from a few takes. So basically I have two tracks with 3 layers each. I searched to see if this was covered before and the only solution I saw was to put the two tracks togeather in a folder. I did that but still don't really see how that address it.

I dont think anyone quite got to what you are looking for. Try this:

First get every take into its own track so you have six tracks (it's easiest to just record multiple takes to separate tracks instead of layers in the first place). Then select each corresponding pair of Mic and Pick-up tracks, and put them in a track folder, so you have three track folders with two tracks each.

Now any edits you apply to a folder will affect both tracks of that take identically. Unfortunately, the mute tool, and most other tools (except the selection tool) do not not work by clicking/dragging in the composite clip of the track folder, but if you click with a tool in one track, and drag down or up to the other track in the folder, whatever edit/selection you make will affect both tracks identically. Also, you can solo track folders to hear both sources of the same take together or you can solo individual tracks within a "Take" folder (e.g. to find undesirable noises on a given Mic track).

Hope this gets you where you want to go.
    post edited by brundlefly - 2008/05/22 15:44:08

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Comp two tracks at once? 2008/05/22 16:53:48 (permalink)
    Im still confused, by what he wants, but i think someone here has nailed it....
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Dave Allison
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 346
    RE: Comp two tracks at once? 2008/05/22 17:59:28 (permalink)

Not Yet..
    unless I missed it by reading too fast.

He wants to be able to define a group of tracks, then work on one track and have the edits automatically applied to all tracks in the group.

In Sonar, as people have described already, this works for some clip based tools like slip edits and fades, but not for all tools.

If you're a user of the mute tool for comping multiple track layers into one take, then group editing (Pro-Tools name for it) would allow you to use the same proceedure to comp multi-track drum takes, or in this case an acoustic guitar which has been recorded onto two tracks with Mic and DI.

Yes, you can work around the guitar by combining the takes onto a stereo track, but you can't do that for 16 tracks of a drum kit.

If you're not a user of the mute tool for comping, then I guess this doesn't make much sense.
    We're trying to work with multiple tracks, which all consist of multiple takes in layers.

am I on target chrisby ?
    post edited by Dave Allison - 2008/05/22 18:58:23

Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Motu 24I/O

Sonar 8.5 Producer, Pro-Tools 9, Avid Media Composer, Melodyne.
    chrisby
    RE: Comp two tracks at once? 2008/05/22 18:57:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dave Allison

Not Yet..
    unless I missed it by reading too fast.

He wants to be able to define a group of tracks, then work on one track and have the edits automatically applied to all tracks in the group.

In Sonar, as people have described already, this works for some clip based tools like slip edits and fades, but not for all tools.

If you're a user of the mute tool for comping multiple track layers into one take, then group editing (Pro-Tools name for it) would allow you to use the same proceedure to comp multi-track drum takes, or in this case an acoustic guitar which has been recorded onto two tracks with Mic and DI.

Yes, you can work around the guitar by combining the takes onto a stereo track, but you can't do that for 16 tracks of a drum kit.

If you're not a user of the mute tool for comping, then I guess this doesn't make much sense.
    We're trying to work with multiple tracks, which all consist of multiple takes in layers.

am I on target chrisby ?

Wow, hardly any replies yesterday and a ton today... thanks for all the replies! Anyway, Dave, yes you are on target. In short you just can't use the mute tool that way, at least as it is now in ver 7. I just wanted to get that out there 'cause there have been several threads regarding this before but, and they had a lot of posts, but never with a bottom line "can I do it or not" answer. Yes there are work arounds and other methods that don't involve the mute tool but if you want to use the mute tool you can't mute across tracks. Fair enough. Just from reading the old posts it wasn't really clear... so again this is just for anyone else searching this topic down the road.

Someone above mentioned that you can bounce 2 mono clips to stereo in Sonar... I haven't tried this, and maybe it works fine, but the Soundforge method will get you a stereo file that consistes of truely unaltered l/r channels. No panning/mixing involved. Again, just for future reference (I had to google how to do that too)...

PS - and as Dave mentioned the stereo file method only works for two tracks... if you have more then two you'll need to use one of the alternative approaches.
    post edited by chrisby - 2008/05/22 19:18:58
    brundlefly
    RE: Comp two tracks at once? 2008/05/22 22:48:19 (permalink)
    but if you want to use the mute tool you can't mute across tracks.

As I wrote in my last post, you can mute across tracks, if the tracks are adjacent, by starting the drag in one track and ending it in the other. Maybe I didn't describe it clearly. It's actually not even necessary to have them in a folder together, but I thought that would help you keep the paired takes organized, and allow you to use some other tools on the composite folder track.

Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    chrisby
    RE: Comp two tracks at once? 2008/05/23 00:46:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: brundlefly

but if you want to use the mute tool you can't mute across tracks.

As I wrote in my last post, you can mute across tracks, if the tracks are adjacent, by starting the drag in one track and ending it in the other. Maybe I didn't describe it clearly. It's actually not even necessary to have them in a folder together, but I thought that would help you keep the paired takes organized, and allow you to use some other tools on the composite folder track.

You're right... I didn't get it though in your first post. But... unless there's something wrong on my machine or there's a bug in 7.02 the implementation doesn't really work as you'd hope (or expect). With three layers per track if you use the Solo/Mute function (ie mute w/ ctrl key) it will solo all tracks between your selection, not just the ones you start and end in. So if the layers are top to bottom Track 1-1,2,3 and Track 2-1,2,3 and you start your select in Track 1 Layer 2 and end your select in Track 2 Layer 2, only Track 1 Layer 1 and Track 3 Layer 3 get muted. So you end up solo'ing 4 tracks instead of the two you wanted. Close, but basically for my situation (which judging from the old posts that I found is one of the most common) it doesn't really work. But at least they must be thinking about it and seem to be really close to having it implemented. It could also be that there's a way to make it work the way I need it but if there is it isn't documented anywhere I could find.
    Dave Allison
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 346
    RE: Comp two tracks at once? 2008/05/23 01:38:08 (permalink)
    you can mute across tracks

Yes, you can mute across tracks that way, I hadn't found that before

But, efficient comping would require both:
    <Ctrl> mute to work - that's the key tool, and
    dragging on a single track - it's a long way from top to bottom of 2 or 3 takes of a drum kit...

I'll put it in as a feature request.

Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Motu 24I/O

Sonar 8.5 Producer, Pro-Tools 9, Avid Media Composer, Melodyne.
    brundlefly
    RE: Comp two tracks at once? 2008/05/23 02:13:59 (permalink)
    So if the layers are top to bottom Track 1-1,2,3 and Track 2-1,2,3 and you start your select in Track 1 Layer 2 and end your select in Track 2 Layer 2, only Track 1 Layer 1 and Track 3 Layer 3 get muted. So you end up solo'ing 4 tracks instead of the two you wanted.

Hence my suggestion to move all the layers to separate tracks and pair the first, second and third layers from each track together. Helloooo, McFlyyyy?!

Hey, I know it's not as elegant as simply being able to group tracks and edit one to edit them all, but it seems to me it will work okay in this particular case.

chrisby
    RE: Comp two tracks at once? 2008/05/23 07:15:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: brundlefly

Hence my suggestion to move all the layers to separate tracks and pair the first, second and third layers from each track together. Helloooo, McFlyyyy?!

Hey, I know it's not as elegant as simply being able to group tracks and edit one to edit them all, but it seems to me it will work okay in this particular case.

Well... I do see how it would work (though I haven't tried it yet) by putting all the layers into one track with each layer from the same take being adjacent, but your original post above refers to putting them into three separate folders (if I'm reading right). Maybe I'm not getting it 'cause I only ever use the mute tool in it's "solo" mode (dragging with "ctrl" depressed). So again, not trying to be dense 'cause regardless you're the only one I've seen with a method to solve this, but if I have things set up as you describe, with each take in a seperate track and all tracks for a take grouped into a three separate folders (which gives me three adjacent folders with two tracks each)... if I want to solo the first 5 secs of the third take and mute the other two I don't see how doing anything in that third folder will affect the first two. I could see how it would work if all the tracks were in the same folder (sorta like layers, but better) but not if they're in different folders. Or can you put folders in folders? Or maybe I'm still just missing something? Again, thanks for taking the time to help...
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Comp two tracks at once? 2008/05/23 07:56:11 (permalink)
    Well... I do see how it would work (though I haven't tried it yet) by putting all the layers into one track with each layer from the same take being adjacent

I havent read thru this thread, but you can do this in sonar. After you drag and drop each clip into a single track, just right click at the edge of the track in the track view to view layers. you can also jsut do this at the recording stage and record into one track over and over and then select view layers and you can also select mute previous takes also.
    Cj

Audio Blog
    mwall
    RE: Comp two tracks at once? 2008/05/23 08:26:05 (permalink)
    If you don't use brundlefly's suggestion and reorganize clips so that they're adjacent, you should be able to still select one clip and then hold down CTRL key and select the other one(s) further down and edit both in one take, right? Haven't tried that, but seems logical.

Mark
    -----
    Some tunes:

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1