Comping feature... Take 3

Author
bluebeat1313
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
2018/08/04 01:39:24 (permalink)

Comping feature... Take 3

I tried to bring this up couple of times before...
Now that most of the dust and anxiety had settled would like to take another shot at this.

For most part, I use Cakewalk to record vocals and light mixing. One of the fundamental features for me are "take lanes"  Have been using feature for years... Huge request. As it works now, "take lanes" utilize empty track spaces, just where it can "fit" the new record (see attached photo) My problem is that it would also record on to MUTED take lanes. Fresh recording-to previously muted lanes.... Just does not make any logic to me. If it would be possible to have a "tick" on comping menu "NOT to record on muted lanes" that would be very helpful. 

Another thought. I know that it is possible to use "copy special" but I think it can be very useful to batch process that in this philosophy: Select take lanes---right click and have an option: "create new track from selected take lanes" Which would create a new track with those take lanes in the correct position.... Either cut or copy...

Any thoughts?

4 Replies Related Threads

Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    Re: Comping feature... Take 3 2018/08/04 13:01:29 (permalink)
    I agree that its not useful that recorded data is placed on muted lanes.

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    bluebeat1313
    Re: Comping feature... Take 3 2018/08/04 13:38:52 (permalink)
    Hey Noel. First of all, I would like to express my deepest respect to you for all the work you have done to bring Cakewalk to where it is right now. 

I brought this issue to "bug" team in mid of 2017, while it was still under gibson. They acknowledged it, but it was put in limbo, probably due to known events. I kindly ask you to consider making option of "not to record on muted tracks" or similar. I do not believe it benefits anybody of having new records placed in muted sections. At least I can not think of a good reason why would anybody want that.

P.S. Also, I am not sure if it is known issue or it effects only some forum accounts, but emails do not come through when I subscribe to be "notified" when reply is posted to my thread on this forum. Yes, I checked Spam folder. If it helps, the last "Subscription Notification from Cakewalk Forums" came in mid November 2017.

Thank you.
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Comping feature... Take 3 2018/08/04 13:47:10 (permalink)
    bluebeat1313
    P.S. Also, I am not sure if it is known issue or it effects only some forum accounts, but emails do not come through when I subscribe to be "notified" when reply is posted to my thread on this forum.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3766814

bluebeat1313
    Re: Comping feature... Take 3 2018/10/09 01:26:03 (permalink)
    Hi fellows.
    I had been using Cakewalk for a loong time.  People describing various bugs and problems, but thankfully, for me it is a 99.999% happy experience, besides one item listed on the top of this post.  Sometimes it feels like a painful splinter under toe nail. I know of all workarounds, but it just interrupts whole creative process.

I am married to Cakewalk mainly for audio takes, vocals. A times I need to have 40-60 takes on single track. And it's just very frustrating to search for small section every time newly recorded "take" ends up in previously muted lane, at random places. And when I find it, I have to make sure to mute the "other" clip/clips that are on same take lane not to create havoc.

Every time I see Cakewalk update release, I hold my breath scrolling through features and fixes to see if it was addressed, and sadly up till now it was not.

One check mark, an option of "not to record on muted lanes" on record menu would solve this.  

This was supposed to be on a cue bug list of former gibson team... Every few month I bump the thread to see if this can be fixed.  Pretty please, fix this!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1