Completely OT: How to choose a music download service

Author
Rick McNab
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1047
2006/06/14 23:48:40 (permalink)

Completely OT: How to choose a music download service

I can't think of a more knowledgable group of people than the P5 community, so here goes:

All I want to do is purchase songs one at a time. I want to own them and I want them to be in MP3 format so I can put them on my Creative Zen Nano player. I don't want restrictions on what I can do with the song once I've paid for it. That's why I'm happy to pay for it on a per song basis.

I am NOT interested in free or low-cost subscription services that let you listen to "millions of songs every month". These appear to place severe restrictions on what you can do with the music, and more importantly what device you can play it on. Unfortunately my device, the Creative Zen Nano, seems not to be supported by the major players in this space.

It appears that my two choices will be Rhapsody and Yahoo!. Between the two it seems like Rhapsody has a few more of the songs I need (contemporary R&B but not Hip Hop). This is for a specific project so I am restricting to just that style for now.

Within the boundaries I've just described, do you guys have any suggestions.

Much thanks in advance!

22 Replies Related Threads

syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: Completely OT: How to choose a music download service 2006/06/15 02:51:36 (permalink)
    If it can play mp3 the majority of p5 users use www.soundclick.com, that is where the majority of our mp3's are stored. Some are free, some are for sale.
    Rick McNab
    RE: Completely OT: How to choose a music download service 2006/06/15 04:02:42 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info. I'm looking for a place to purchase commercial tunes, like ITunes, Rhapsody, or Yahoo! Music. Not a place to post my own stuff. Just wondered if anyone is using these services and has any comments in light of the criteria I mentioned.
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: Completely OT: How to choose a music download service 2006/06/15 04:24:23 (permalink)
    Choose based on sound quality. I remember when I signed up Musicmatch was 160kbps and Napster was only 120kbps, so I chose Musicmatch. You could hear the difference. I didn't look at iTunes because I find Apple's whole business philosophy insulting to the consumer (or maybe it's because my father worked for IBM .) Yahoo and Rhapsody weren't up and running yet.

Rick McNab
    RE: Completely OT: How to choose a music download service 2006/06/15 04:45:35 (permalink)
    Thanks, Dave. Mainly I want to make sure I can ultimately end up with an MP3 file that I can open and edit in Sound Forge, for example if I want to edit down a swatch of a tune to play for someone that doesn't have a whole lot of time. I didn't realize how confusing this whole business is. Seems like with most of these deals you don't actually own the tune, or you are restricted in how you can use the file.
    syrath
    RE: Completely OT: How to choose a music download service 2006/06/15 05:04:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Rick McNab

Thanks for the info. I'm looking for a place to purchase commercial tunes, like ITunes, Rhapsody, or Yahoo! Music. Not a place to post my own stuff. Just wondered if anyone is using these services and has any comments in light of the criteria I mentioned.

Soundclick does sell tunes, so it depends how you define commercial tunes.
    pwal
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2909
    RE: Completely OT: How to choose a music download service 2006/06/15 06:37:04 (permalink)
    ITunes, Rhapsody, or Yahoo! Music

my issue with these services is they all insist on using proprietory software - i.e., you can't just pay $1 and download the file...

list of stuff
    three_eyed_otter
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    RE: Completely OT: How to choose a music download service 2006/06/15 08:54:00 (permalink)
    I had Rhapsody on my system twice and found it to be annoying and insulting the way it insist on taking over the computer and media files.

have a good one
    3Eo
    Rick McNab
    RE: Completely OT: How to choose a music download service 2006/06/15 10:54:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: three_eyed_otter

I had Rhapsody on my system twice and found it to be annoying and insulting the way it insist on taking over the computer and media files.

have a good one
    3Eo

That's exactlywhat I want to avoid. Thanks for the heads up. Once these types of apps hijack your system, they want to control playback of so many of your file types. If the Rhapsody "jukebox" has options so that it doesn't automatically take over, then I'd be interested. But from what you said, I will look again at Yahoo!

BTW I am defining commercial music as "chart toppers" (not necessarily what I would choose to listen to, but what I need to check out for a project I have coming up)
    syrath
    RE: Completely OT: How to choose a music download service 2006/06/15 12:17:24 (permalink)

BTW I am defining commercial music as "chart toppers" (not necessarily what I would choose to listen to, but what I need to check out for a project I have coming up)

Then I would imagine that you would have copyright problems when it comes to the usage of the product. However if this is for academic usage then you may be able to download any mp3 from anywhere and use it, for example, for a university project, this is covered under the fair usage policy of the copyright law of many countries.

fair use
    grandpa mojo
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 976
    RE: Completely OT: How to choose a music download service 2006/06/15 12:27:52 (permalink)
    Have you checked out napster? - I don't use it - but I've been curious how it's "legal" version works now.

Here's a blurb from their FAQ:

Can I Download Songs From the Napster Free Service?
    You must purchase songs to download them to your computer using the Napster Free service. Once you purchase a track you can burn it to CD, transfer it to a portable device or keep it on your local hard drive.

As a Napster Subscriber you can download an unlimited amount of songs to your PC, without having to pay for each track.

As a Napster To Go subscriber, you can download an unlimited amount of songs to your PC, without having to pay for each track and take your music with your by transferring it to a Napster To Go compatible portable device.

And of course, all Napster subscription members can still purchase music to burn to CD or just keep permanently in their digital music collection.
    Rick McNab
    RE: Completely OT: How to choose a music download service 2006/06/15 17:34:54 (permalink)
    As I'm understanding it, the unlimited downloading thing comes with severe restrictions. For example, you can only play them on your PC, or on a device that the service specifies as being qualified to accept their file. So you would not be able to open it in an audio editor and extract just a swatch to play for someone. However, as you mention, Rhapsody, Yahoo!, and Napster (I forgot that Napster offers this option), do allow you to purchase. It is this option that I am interested in. I just want to know that after I purchase, that I own the MP3, and that I can thus open it in an audio editor and cut out a portion to play for someone.

Syrath - No I am not trying to get around copyright restrictions. If I want to play a portion of a song for a client, such as a chorus of a pop tune, I want to open the file and hit play. Thus I would want to edit the MP3 prior to the client's arrival so that hitting play would start the tune at the chorus. This is not distribution in any way. In other words I want to pay my money and own the audio file outright. And BTW, copying files is okay (in the U.S.) as I understand it, for your own use. This would definitely be for my own use.

This is an interesting discussion. I am finding, as I suspected, that there are a lot of complications surrounding this issue.
    SuperGreenX
    • Total Posts : 973
    RE: Completely OT: How to choose a music download service 2006/06/15 21:01:33 (permalink)
    As for Yahoo Music at least, its all unlimited downloading. You can upgrade your plan and pay more and you can put all those tracks on a device. Otherwise they are stuck in your PC. And these tracks are all DRMed (protected). The songs connect to the web and check to see if they are legit every once in a while. You also have to let your device with the songs on it hook up and check in every so often (It does it automatically when you connect it to your computer I think). I believe if you cancel your service, these tracks will all lock up and not play. It's basically rental really. Most of the services besides iTunes operate like this.

EVERY download service has some sort of DRM. And none use mp3. Basically if its not whatever that Real service is, its going to be wma format, or iTunes AAC. I don't think grabbing the sound file and sampling it will be as easy as loading it into an audio editor like you would an unprotected mp3.

Kelsin
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Completely OT: How to choose a music download service 2006/06/15 21:37:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SuperGreenX

As for Yahoo Music at least, its all unlimited downloading. You can upgrade your plan and pay more and you can put all those tracks on a device. Otherwise they are stuck in your PC. And these tracks are all DRMed (protected). The songs connect to the web and check to see if they are legit every once in a while. You also have to let your device with the songs on it hook up and check in every so often (It does it automatically when you connect it to your computer I think). I believe if you cancel your service, these tracks will all lock up and not play. It's basically rental really. Most of the services besides iTunes operate like this.

EVERY download service has some sort of DRM. And none use mp3. Basically if its not whatever that Real service is, its going to be wma format, or iTunes AAC. I don't think grabbing the sound file and sampling it will be as easy as loading it into an audio editor like you would an unprotected mp3.

This is going to sound dumb: but... maybe go out and buy the single? It's a bit more money but comes without most of the restrictions you are talking about.

Not as easy as downloading either :-(
    oroboros
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 901
    RE: Completely OT: How to choose a music download service 2006/06/15 23:27:59 (permalink)
    AFAIK, there is no legal service such as you are describing. All of the legal versions place restrictions on format, player, where you can copy, etc. They are all one version or another of PITA.

Other than helping out the Russians, I'll tell you an alternative solution. Quality won't be great, but it will be serviceable. Depends upon what you need. If you just need a scratch track, then this is good enough.

1) Choose one of the unlimited services, preferably one without a player that takes over system settings. I don't use any of them, so I don't know which this would be.
    2) Acquire a "record what you hear" software program. Many sound cards come with these for free (even my last motherboard had a free version on the installation CD), or you can look on snapfiles.com, where they seem to sell for about $25.
    3) Play the song from the download service, while recording it with your "record what you hear" software program, which records strait from the soundcard / chip.
    4) Save that re-recording, usually to either wav or mp3, and use it for what you will. Do not play it in the unlimited services' player.

As long as you're paying for it ... though, technically, probably not entirely legal ...

To think, at one time P5 was a $429 MSRP app.

I think that technology and music has always been together, and I think music is science, anyway. - Vangelis

The Other P5 Forum
    SuperGreenX
    RE: Completely OT: How to choose a music download service 2006/06/15 23:28:21 (permalink)
    Oh I know. I was explaining because Rick said he wanted to edit the stuff he downloded:

Thanks, Dave. Mainly I want to make sure I can ultimately end up with an MP3 file that I can open and edit in Sound Forge, for example if I want to edit down a swatch of a tune to play for someone that doesn't have a whole lot of time. I didn't realize how confusing this whole business is. Seems like with most of these deals you don't actually own the tune, or you are restricted in how you can use the file.

Rick McNab
    RE: Completely OT: How to choose a music download service 2006/06/16 03:04:32 (permalink)
    Mucho thanks, all you guys. Kelsin, I thought about this just today. I think that's going to be the solution. Most of these are probably available as CD singles, and I don't mind paying a few bucks for them. It's deductible, and the client will wind up paying anyway.

A real learning experience. I thought all these download services just sold you MP3s, like the ones you used to get for free from Napster (not me, of course!). I guess that's not the case.
    plt
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Completely OT: How to choose a music download service 2006/06/17 07:43:50 (permalink)
    I can recommended www.wippit.com
    Only £50 a year for subscripition
    60000 tracks available for your subscripition
    Loads of INDIE labels
    post edited by plt - 2006/06/17 07:53:32
    Rick McNab
    RE: Completely OT: How to choose a music download service 2006/06/18 23:49:34 (permalink)
    You know after all that, I realized that I actually want to work with the highest quality audio, and than means direct off CDs as a .wav file. So I guess I'll be dropping a few bucks on some selected CDs anyway. Hope they get the music downloading thing more elegant, with more ownership by the customer. I don't dig this subscription thing. Like you have to buy twice or something.
    SuperGreenX
    RE: Completely OT: How to choose a music download service 2006/06/19 00:26:22 (permalink)
    The reason they don't use mp3's is because 1)You can't put DRM's on them and have them protected and 2) I think technically you are supposed to pay royalties to the motion picture experts group for using their format commercially. I big service like that wouldn't be able to get away with not paying.

Subscription services are slick, in my opinion. You can get SO MUCH music on your HD for not a whole lot of money.

muso_price
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    RE: Completely OT: How to choose a music download service 2006/06/19 04:42:16 (permalink)
    EVERY download service has some sort of DRM. And none use mp3.

emusic doesn't

SuperGreenX
    RE: Completely OT: How to choose a music download service 2006/06/19 11:34:27 (permalink)
    That service actually looks pretty slick. Mp3's are good because I have a Creative Zen Micro and I was thinking about getting an iPod also (I'm getting a new car and it will have a stereo in it with an iPod hookup). I'd like to be able to still use both. thanks!

tclark
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1525
    RE: Completely OT: How to choose a music download service 2006/06/20 07:31:00 (permalink)
    or you could just buy my album...[sm=rolleyes.gif]

T

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1