(Complimentary) EQ Envelopes?

Author
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
2008/09/10 17:46:03 (permalink)

(Complimentary) EQ Envelopes?

Any EQ Envelopes you've 'discovered' that really make a difference?

Complimentary EQs? (While one goes up the other goes down?)

For example:
I've had excellent luck with EQ envelopes to clarify/de-clarify Vox in portions (2-3 KHz boost/reduction at Q = 1) ... so far.

I haven't tried complimentary EQs with High-pass/Low-pass, nor on guitar vs. other instruments ... but I feel this is valuable stuff for our mixes.

Thank you for any thoughts/experiences you might share concerning dynamic and/or complimentary EQ envelopes.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501

15 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: (Complimentary) EQ Envelopes? 2008/09/10 18:25:37 (permalink)
    I use complimenty EQ, but not in envelope forms. Why?? Because this kind of EQ should not waver. Yuor cuttin out all the useles frequencies, so theres no need to bring them up and down through out the song. Same with boosting the oppsites.
    If you use envelopes, i would thing your song would get muddy when the envelopes go back up. Your cutting out the low end for a reason and cutting other things for a reason. If you bring them back up, then your song will become muddy and clip
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: (Complimentary) EQ Envelopes? 2008/09/10 19:51:35 (permalink)
    i would use envelopes if you really needed to squeeze every last bit of headroom out. for example, you've got the strummy acoustic intro and you don't want it to sound like a bag of paper clips getting dragged over a cheese grater, so you let out the fullness of the guitar. but when the drums and electrics and vocals and backing vocals and B3 and string quartet and bass and cowbell kick in you don't need anything but the pick attack so you drop everything else and suddenly there's all this room you didn't have before.

note that i've never used this method although i've experimented with it, but i'd be willing to bet it's a very common practice in studios trying to get that RMS up a bit higher. personally i try to find a nice balance between all the instruments and let it go from there.

- jack the ex-cynic
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    RE: (Complimentary) EQ Envelopes? 2008/09/10 20:13:49 (permalink)
    I have used it once on drums. A song I was working on had the drums coming in VERY softly (BFD) at probably velocities of around 30 or so so the drums would slowly build up until they 100-127 area. With all the other instruments in the mix the drums sounded a little drowned and dull when they start off so low but with a high shelf and a boost of 3dB or so at the start when the drums come in, they were much more defined and clear and then when the drums really come in I bring that back down again otherwise they are too bright.

I think it's probably not something you would generally do on every project, generally just set your EQ and go for the reasons CJ stated, however, sometimes there are instances were it can work well, like everything. Depends on the song.
    Philip
    RE: (Complimentary) EQ Envelopes? 2008/09/10 21:39:33 (permalink)
    you've got the strummy acoustic intro and you don't want it to sound like a bag of paper clips getting dragged over a cheese grater, so you let out the fullness of the guitar. but when the drums and electrics and vocals and backing vocals and B3 and string quartet and bass and cowbell kick in you don't need anything but the pick attack so you drop everything else and suddenly there's all this room you didn't have before.

LOL!
    CJ, your mixes are relatively unwavering (consistent), with party beats and hooks ... mine are a bit more wavering and ... like huge tides of vocals and instruments rolling in waveform after waveform.
    Slosh, crash, ching, chime, etc. ... but I see your point (as per Matt and Jack.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

rob.pulman
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1146
    RE: (Complimentary) EQ Envelopes? 2008/09/11 03:10:35 (permalink)
    I know about volume and pan envelopes but how do I do an EQ envelope?

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass
    altima_boy_2001
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2033
    RE: (Complimentary) EQ Envelopes? 2008/09/11 03:28:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rob.pulman

Insert an EQ plugin, add a track envelope like normal but choose the plugin rather than vol/pan. Then choose which parameter to automate. Draw/record the envelope you want. You can automate almost every parameter of any plugin as long as it "exposes" the parameter to automation.

You can use me as your eSoundz referral (altima_boy_2001).
    rob.pulman
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1146
    RE: (Complimentary) EQ Envelopes? 2008/09/11 05:41:26 (permalink)
    Cheers, I'll give that a go sometime.

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass
    Philip
    RE: (Complimentary) EQ Envelopes? 2008/09/11 20:19:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rob.pulman

Rob, The question might be:
    I know about volume and pan envelopes but which EQ gain envelope? Sonar Per-Track-EQ, LP64 Equalizer, Ozone3 module EQ gain envelope, Cakewalk FXEQ (VST), and/or Sonitus EQ

IMHO, The clear winner is: Sonar Per-Track-EQ ... especially if you've forgotten to consider an EQ plug-in to make envelopes.
    IMHO, The clear loser is LP64 Equalizer; it's so processor intensive as to render it worthless for envelopes. (Sonar hiccups bad with LP64)
    Currently, I only use the LP64 for precise boost/reduction Qs on the instrument bus.

Philip  

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: (Complimentary) EQ Envelopes? 2008/09/11 22:41:32 (permalink)
    Here's an example of where EQ envelopes work well: an instrument that starts the song solo, then becomes a rhythm instrument when the rest of the band kicks in. I tend to do that with piano or acoustic guitar. For the first 4 measures, I want the instrument to have the full spectrum. After that, I want to do the usual low-cut to keep the low mids from getting muddy. An envelope on a high pass filter does the trick.

The same technique might be used on any instrument that takes a solo during the course of a song, such as a bass solo.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    RichardHiorns
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: (Complimentary) EQ Envelopes? 2008/09/12 01:32:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bitflipper

Here's an example of where EQ envelopes work well: an instrument that starts the song solo, then becomes a rhythm instrument when the rest of the band kicks in. I tend to do that with piano or acoustic guitar. For the first 4 measures, I want the instrument to have the full spectrum. After that, I want to do the usual low-cut to keep the low mids from getting muddy. An envelope on a high pass filter does the trick.

The same technique might be used on any instrument that takes a solo during the course of a song, such as a bass solo.

Wouldn't it be easier to just clone the track for intro and use fuller eq'd sound on cloned track?
    Or am I missing something here.

windows xp media center edition
    hp pavillion athlon 64 bit dual processor
    2048 mb memory
    Cakewalk home studio 6 xl
    m audio audiophile 192 pci card
    art tube mp project series preamp
    audio technica at 3035
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: (Complimentary) EQ Envelopes? 2008/09/12 06:17:20 (permalink)
    that would depend on your setup. i usually send all my tracks to a bus and then use the busses to apply FX, etc. for bass i usually have an EQ pre-comp and then one post-comp if necessary, which is where i would do the extra trimming. with a two-track method i would duplicate a lot of work so the envelope on the post-comp EQ would probably be easier and more consistent (pre-comp EQ changes would affect the compression).

- jack the ex-cynic
    Philip
    RE: Competing for the 2KHz Band. 2008/09/12 21:27:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RichardHiorns

Wouldn't it be easier to just clone the track for intro and use fuller eq'd sound on cloned track?

Richard, it may be easier, safer (depending on your processor intensive EQ-VST), and recommended ... to do it your way ... especially if you're just concerned about 1 basic EQ issue. But cloning may get old as you may want to invoke 'Complimentary EQing' on other tracks.
    Bit, I suppose you're increasing the band of the HP filter via EQ frequency parameter or Q parameter (envelope) ... Not just reducing dcbs.

Consider Bits example in the 'lower-mids'.

But how many of your instruments fundamental notes are directly competing for clarity at the 500Hz to 2000 Hz band, the dominate mid-range (C5-C7); fortunately, many have harmonics that may be tightened independently, and clarified on something bigger than a car stereo. But many (like myself) listen in the car, to be sure.

Now I've got 2 KHz -gain envelopes (for dynamic boost/reduction) on lead guitar, vox, back-up vox, instrument bus ... and am considering for the drum-bus ... to give relative sitting room for up-in-front leads and decreasing mud in the mids.

Currently all are Pre-FX envelopes (which may be a mistake as fx-compressors and fx-exciters kick in) ... Duh, I think I'll try to change them to Post-Fx envelopes.

post edited by Philip - 2008/09/13 06:14:22

Philip  

plectrumpusher
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Competing for the 2KHz Band. 2008/09/13 02:39:50 (permalink)
    Nice article

Mixing = traffic control

If you haven't got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart.......Then you are just an old sour fart!!
    Marah Mag
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: (Complimentary) EQ Envelopes? 2008/09/13 03:59:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RichardHiorns

Hi Richard.

I do what bit flipper describes, and it's very common at the top of song, as the different parts are layering in. But you asked a good question.

For me, it depends on how extensive the changes are throughout the track. If there are a lot of abrupt changes throughout the track -- then I might split those sections out to their own track, and manage them as separate parts. Neither method is inherently better, and both accomplish the same thing. But sometimes one just feels preferable depending mostly on how I'm thinking about and visualizing the mix. It's a workflow thing. It's very subjective.

FWIW.
    post edited by Marah Mag - 2008/09/13 04:00:54
    Philip
    RE: Competing for the 2Khz Band. 2008/09/13 07:18:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: plectrumpusher

Nice article

Mixing = traffic control

Very Nice 'notching' and 'rolling off' article (complete with colored amplitude/freq graphs for vocal, guitar, bass, and kick.

Interesting that he low-shelves his vocals below 500hz instead of rolling them off completely (as many of us do at 200-250hz)

Also, he shelves and rolls off (ie., both shelf and pass filters) all 4 garage instruments ... giving sculptured peaks and valleys

He also addresses the competition for the 2-2.5 Khz band between guitar and vox. Q-notches are tight (Q=1.4 or 1 octave) with 3-4 dcbs reductions.

Excellent reference! But he isn't concerned with varying EQ during certain measures to afford richness of instruments as they solo or take the lead. Hence, your lead guitar remains crippled, notched a full octave or so at 3-4 dcb reduction throughout the mix!!! Ouch!

The same applies to harmonies and other backing instruments stealing and muddying the precious C6-C7 band. Who remembers the backing Supremes being drowned out by Diana Ross, the backing vocals were just lowered in volume.

Philip  

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1