Compression during recording

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
boogielicious
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 321
2007/04/30 13:02:24 (permalink)

Compression during recording

I'm trying to decide on a mic preamp and I want to know whether to use compression during recording or after the fact. I've read the following from Yep's guide:

First piece of advice: avoid using your hardware compressor before recording unless you really feel 110% confident in what you're doing. If you record at 24 bit, there is no advantage to compressing before recording, and software compressors will tend to be better than your hardware compressor. Moreover, if you get it wrong at the tracking stage, there is no way to fix it or undo it.

I plan on recording at 24 bit using my M-Audio Audiophile 192 card. I am going to purchase a UAD-1 DSP card as well, so I will have softward compressors available. Do most of you record without compression then use it after the fact?

Thanks for the help,

Scott

46 Replies Related Threads

Phrauge
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/04/30 13:17:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: boogielicious
    Do most of you record without compression then use it after the fact?

I do.
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/04/30 13:39:27 (permalink)
    I don't have a hardware compressor, and don't feel the need for one. Add after recording, that way if you mess it up, you still have the good version!

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/04/30 13:41:10 (permalink)
    Using compression during recording should be done by those that are very confident about the sound they want, if you are asking the question you are not one of them, at least not yet. So I would say don't unless you are just testing and learning.
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/04/30 13:59:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ohhey

Using compression during recording should be done by those that are very confident about the sound they want, if you are asking the question you are not one of them, at least not yet. So I would say don't unless you are just testing and learning.

+1, and exactly what I meant in the cited post.

There are a whole lot of reasons why you might someday want to compress while recording, but none of them are things that you can't technically accomplish after the fact with plug-ins.

The advantages to using a hardware compressor while recording are all workflow and aethetic preference, which is fine, but there is a lot of room to do considerably more harm than good if you aren't really good with compression. Compression is difficult to hear and sometimes counter-intuitive to dial in. Until you get a good handle on what 2dB of compression sounds like, and how different compressors respond differently to different types of signal and so on, leave the compressor out of the input chain.

Cheers.
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/04/30 14:01:53 (permalink)
    I use the compressors on my outboard preamps quite often. Especially for vocals and often for bass guitar. The amount will vary depending on the player and the instrument. But I know how to use a compressor and have no fear printing the effect. I trust my ears. The first take or so will be spent dialing in the correct amount of compression.

I guess the primary reason for using them is the talent. There are singers out there that know how to work a mic and have excellent technique. Unfortunately, they seem to live nowhere near me

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    yep
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/04/30 14:37:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: krizrox

I use the compressors on my outboard preamps quite often. ...

I would venture to guess that most professional recording engineers (like Krizrox) do. I think this leads a lot of home-studio musicians think they should do the same, not necessarily for the right reasons.

Some relevant things that set professionals apart from home recordists:

- Professionals typically have a great deal of practice with signal processing and usually can tell right away what settings are most appropriate for a particular sound/style/song.

- Professionals typically have a variety of good outboard compressors and the knowledge to use them properly.

- Professionals are under pressure to work quickly and efficiently. a home recordist may spend a week tweaking one song that they spent months writing, a professional is typically expected to put out a complete album by a band they've never heard before in that time.

If all of the above are true, then using an outboard compressor can save time and make for a more sensible workflow. It's kind of like cutting lumber at the lumberyard instead of bringing it to the jobsite first. The less sure you are of what you're doing the more likely you are to end up with a whole bunch of the wrong-sized wood because you overlooked something. But if you know exactly what you're going to need in advance, you can save time and confusion by making your cuts in advance.

It's a matter of balancing skills and priorities. If you do this long enough, you'll eventually start using the compression and eq on your preamps just because it makes sense and you start to know in advance that you're going to want certain things anyway.

Cheers.
    boogielicious
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/04/30 15:10:13 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the great responses. I certainly don't know how to use an outboard compressor in recording, so I will definitely take your advice.

Thanks,

Scott
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/04/30 15:35:53 (permalink)
    Yep's answer always makes sense. Which is why he is busily writing his book on the subject of all things audio. If nothing else take all your forum messages and publish them.

I think we all kind of fall into a comfort zone eventually that makes sense to us based on the way we work day to day. And the type of equipment we have at our disposal. Having made plenty of mistakes over the years, I guess I've figured out what not to do more than what to do in any given situation. As far as compressors are concerned, what I've kinda come to realize is that you really have to screw up big time to ruin a take with a compressor. I mean, you have to be like on mushrooms or just totally not thinking at all to really mess things up so badly that you can't keep the take. With compressors, there's a lot of room for error before things become so bad that the take is trashed. Usually, your ears will tell you well in advance that something isn't sounding right if the knobs aren't adjusted properly. The best thing anyone can do for themselves when learning how to use a compressor is to grab those knobs and crank them all the way and see what happens. You'll learn what happens when you do that and what do so with those settings. I always default to the lowest settings I can get away with. And also - if I don't need a compressor I don't use one.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/04/30 15:39:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: boogielicious

Thanks for all the great responses. I certainly don't know how to use an outboard compressor in recording, so I will definitely take your advice.

Thanks,

Scott

One note. I'm assuming you are recording at 24bit. If not you should be. The low level part of 16bit gets nasty and when you compress it brings all that up to the forground where you can hear it even more. With 24bit you can boost it up later and it's still nice all the way down to the quiet parts.

Some engineers may be using compressors because they got in the habit of doing that back when recording systems were 16bit to keep the levels up in to the good area. After they developed enough skill to choose the right amount on the front end they just kept working like that. And maybe also because it saves them some time during the mix.

Remember: for many years even the big ProTools systems were only 16bit, some engineering norms had to be re-evaluated after 24bit came along.
    post edited by ohhey - 2007/04/30 15:45:36
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/04/30 16:37:47 (permalink)

I am not a professional or even close....but the guy who helped me get going and taught me alot... hands on..was a pro's pro with the golden ears.

He insisted on having a stand alone tracking rig.....Pre's,EQ, gate,Comp/Limiter. He's all DAW but still uses his tracking rig.

So now I almost always track vocals,and live instruments with compression/limiter.

I actually tend to limit vocals more than compress.........and I try to only touch the transient spikes.

The bass I compress and limit.

I do use an EQ before my compresser, if necessary, to eliminate false triggering from bad frequencies.

I never compress synths, E-Drums or any type of pre-recorded sounds.

Most of them are already processed to their fullest.

Thanks for letting me type.

Zungle.
    Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/04/30 21:49:57 (permalink)
    I do for several reasons, the biggest of which is that a compressor can really make a guitar sing--electric or acoustic. I would never play acoustic live without a compressor, and if I suddenly switched it out it would effect the way I play, and of course this is just as true in the studio. Same with electric (although obviously I'm using a compressor on electric that's made specifically for guitar and these days I just use the one in my V-Amp2). If I have a compressor on acoustic guitar I don't have to dig into the notes so hard when doing hammer/pulls etc.

I like to use a compressor live on the vocal mic (though I seldom sing myself) for similar reasons. If you have a really breathy vocalist with a soft voice, a compressor can help them perform better on a live take by leveling out the volume for them automatically. I'm just guessing, but I would bet that Norah Jones always performs live and in the studio with a compressor set at 4:1/-15 or so.

I use the peak limiter feature all the time on bass in case I suddenly want to do some poppin' & snappin'.

And lastly, some of the guys will disagree with me probably, but I think most any sound will record better when you get it on tape as loud as possible without hitting the red, and I think recording digitally is the same. I mean, with tape you can get a better frequency response by recording below -10 VU, but even with a really good NR that keeps the noise floor down at that low level, it just doesn't sound right to me. I've noticed the same thing recording digital audio. The closer I get the levels to -3db or so in my DAW, the better things tend to sound, especially electric guitar. It just sounds fuller to me. Now if I have some peaks in my signal that force me to record way below -3db, I'd rather use a compressor or limiter to let me hit the sound card inputs a little harder.

It could well be that I'm the only guy here who feels that way, but it sure sounds better to me if I hit my sound card as loud as possible. It just feels thicker all around like that.
    post edited by Joe Bravo - 2007/05/04 21:30:27
    bwmac
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 146
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/05/01 12:35:01 (permalink)
    A lot of good points here. Now all singers know how to work a mic is a good point.
    The compessor will even our the swaying (back and forth) of a singer.
    Bringing the low levels up and knocking the high levels down.
    Another good point is to only use the min.
    and last, you con't practice if you don't try.
    I picked up a inexpencive digital processor
    The; Peavey Dual Deltafex is a 24-bit stereo effects processor

This way I have a reverb and other useless things as well as a compressor.
    Its not high quality but its a good tool

bwmac
    ASUS M2N-E bios-10 AMD 64 X2 6000 ~ 4G 800 DDR2
    windows XP PRO 64 EDITION SONAR 6 PRODUCER
    MOTU 828 mkll.

ITS A LONG WAY TO THE TOP, IF YOU ROCK AND ROLL

Its not about the money, Its about the music.
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/05/01 13:32:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bwmac

and last, you con't practice if you don't try.

Very good point. What do you have to lose by trying it, besides your own time (assuming you're not experimenting on a paying client)?

I sold my hardware compressor a few months ago thinking that I would just do all my compressing after-the-fact. But then I discovered that I missed it dearly for tracking vocals for the very reasons expressed by Larry et. al - the singers I work with have sub-par mic technique. Yes, we work together to improve that, but a little compression used judiciously can go a long way to save what could be an otherwise marginal take. That's why I just bought a new preamp with a built-in compressor.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/05/01 13:56:46 (permalink)
    cryo,
    If you don't mind me asking, what pre did you buy?

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    boogielicious
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/05/01 15:03:43 (permalink)
    I have a Mackie Onyx 1220 and was going to buy a M-Audio Tampa or Presonus Eureka. I was worried about recording acoustic guitar and vocals. I guess I could always add a compressor later if I don't get the results I want.

There seems to be so many choices out there. I actually haven't start recording yet, but I'm putting together my studio. Sonar HS6XL, Mackie Onyx 1220, Mackie HR 824 monitors, Shure KSM 44 mic, Sennheiser MD 441 mic, M-Audio Audiophile 192 card. Most of the stuff I've picked up used.

I want to get a UAD-1 DSP card as well. I was going to build a LA2-A compressor/limiter, but then I saw the UAD-1 card and chose not to.

Scott

Scott
    cryophonik
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/05/01 15:03:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lhansen

cryo,
    If you don't mind me asking, what pre did you buy?

I labored over the decision for a long time and finally got a Joe Meek ThreeQ. But, I bought it without trying it first and just received it, so the jury hasn't even been selected yet. Seems people either love 'em or hate 'em and, based on other reviews, I think (hope) I am going to be in the love 'em camp, although my biggest concern is the lack of a ratio adjustment, which is set at 5:1. But, I figured for the price and resale value, it seems to be a safe bet. I will be testing it out with my singer (female) this evening.

kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/05/01 15:55:03 (permalink)
    Old School over here when it comes to recording my guitars....
    after wasting a lot of time BS'ing around with software plugs after the fact on my git...
    I went back to what has always worked for me in the past ...
    I simply record my gits using a sound I want to print...from the start.
    (minus the verbs and delays )
    to accomplish this I use a combination of tools...
    my pre a BR1180CD has COSM efx...
    for clean guitar I use that Direct with a variety of the onboard Mic sim's..
    for Acoustic guitar ...an AKG mic into the BR1180CD .....to soundcard..
    for electric guitar with a sizzle I went back to using my Fender Super Champ ...and mic into my BR1180CD and couldn't be happier...
    soundmen and engineers have always given this amp the once over for the past 23 years .....lol
    so yes light compression is on my tracking stage with guitars and bass when I end up tracking those instrument....
    for all other things...( instruments / softsynths...) I will use compression after the fact....
    I'm non singer over here......
    Havn't done much with vocals...as a home project studio..
    I'm sure that with all the COSM mic sims I would end up using the same approach to bring it into the ball park in the tracking stage when ever I get a singer over here....
    Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2007/05/01 15:59:07

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Joe Bravo
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/05/01 17:18:17 (permalink)
    Hey Kenny,

I'll be emailing you by the end of the week about sumpin'. Looking for a little help as usual....
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/05/01 22:52:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Joe Bravo
    And lastly, some of the guys will disagree with me probably, but I think most any sound will record better when you get it on tape as loud as possible without hitting the red, and I think recording digitally is the same. I mean, with tape you can get a better frequency response by recording below 10-VU, but even with a really good NR that keeps the noise floor down at that low level, it just doesn't sound right to me. I've noticed the same thing recording digital audio. The closer I get the levels to -3db or so in my DAW, the better things tend to sound, especially electric guitar. It just sounds fuller to me. Now if I have some peaks in my signal that force me to record way below -3db, I'd rather use a compressor or limiter to let me hit the sound card inputs a little harder.

maybe it just sounds better because it's louder seriously though, i think that each analog device in the chain can benefit from the right gain staging and compressors can help quite a bit in that regard. at the soundcard though, i don't believe it makes a difference except if you record at 16bit or you are concerned with having the highest resolution possible available from the start.

perhaps though the signal transfer in the cables is aided by a higher saturation and so even though there's little noticeable difference digitally the non-digital portion of the audio path, including the cables all the way to the AD converter, can add "goodness" to the recorded signal. but mostly i'm just rambling.

i always like electrics recorded hot better and i've only ever done digital recordings so maybe there's something to it after all

- jack the ex-cynic
    themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/05/04 13:41:05 (permalink)
    Maybe if I had a really nice outboard compressor, I might compress on the front end. I find EQing to be a bit more useful however. Good point about compression possibly helping the vocalist during tracking. I could easily compress the vocal in their headphone mix only.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/05/04 16:51:01 (permalink)
    "I could easily compress the vocal in their headphone mix only."

You guys listening to that? That's a really good idea and a nice compromise.
    cryophonik
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/05/04 17:51:45 (permalink)

Why would you want to do this? The idea behind compressing the vocals during tracking is to control the dynamic range of the recorded track. If you were to only compress the headphone mix (i.e., not the recorded take), you would likely have the opposite effect, especially with less experienced vocalists who don't know when/how much to back off a mic. In other words, the vocalist may perceive that he/she is not singing loud enough during louder passages when the compressor kicks in and try to belt it out even more to compensate. Now, not only would the dynamic range of the recorded track be all over the map, but the tone/pitch quality of the vocals may suffer as well.

I do just the opposite - my singer gets no compression in her headphone mix and I encourage her to pay attention to her own levels and try to keep it consistent - can't do that if it's being squashed by a compressor. If her ears start to bleed, she'll know it and she'll back off the mic . Either way, I get a (lightly) compressed vocal take.

Joe Bravo
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/05/04 18:30:47 (permalink)
    I kind of want to agree with you Dave, and I'll always track with compression myself, but I say it's a good compromise because as long as you keep the levels low enough to keep from distorting the vocals, whatever the mix sounds like in the headphones with compression there will sound basically the same if you apply the exact same compression after the recording. I mean, I still think it's better to compress up front for all the reasons I said earlier, but this strikes me as a good way to get a quick idea of how the compression levels will sound later, and will help a timid singer be able to hear himself better while tracking for those guys who'd rather not chance compressing up front, or who aren't yet very experienced with it. But you leanr by doing and as Chris said, compression is kind of hard to screw up anyway. I'm not saying this is the best way to do it, I'm just saying it's a good compromise.
    yep
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/05/04 19:24:52 (permalink)

I always give the vocalist a lot of compression in their headphone mix. I have described my aproach to headphone mixes in more detail elsewhere.

I record mostly rock/pop type music, not classical or high-level Jazz "artists." I want the singer to hear a LOT of themselves, and the worse the singer, the more in-their-face I want their performance to be. In theory, it makes sense to give the singer the most acccurate, most natural and true-to-life portrait of the sound of their voice, but in practice, my experience is that singers pretty much never hear themselves the way everyone else does.

Singers tend to be willing to overlook awful notes and timing errors if their voice "sounds" cool. If their voice sounds rich and breathy and intimate and powerful and authoritative, then they're cool with it. On the other hand, if their voice sounds nasal or honky or naked and wimpy they tend to overcompensate, to "push" the performance, to tense up and sound forced and pitchy and to basically get worse and worse.

If I give the singer an unaffected portrait of their voice and then bland that in with a bunch of close-miked power instrumennts with synth pads and saturated guitars and thunderous drums, the singer is going to mostly just hear their own voice in their own head. Most of the highs and lows and most of the articulation is going to be masked by the backing tracks. Their voice is going to sound all the ways they don't want it to sound-- small, nasal, "stuffy" naked, and not "professional." The singer is going to tense up, and usually, that means they're going to suck.

On the other hand, if I pipe in some super-exaggerated rock star processing to their headphones and give them a big, bold, breathy, controlled, resonant, rich, reverberant "rockstar" version of their voice, then the singer is going to feel cool and confident, like they ARE the rockstar. Putting the singer at ease and making them comfortable with their own voice is, to me, way more important to the quality of the record than anything else.

I have other techniques and work-arounds for mic technique and stuff like that. For me, priority number one is not giving the singer an accurate representation of how they sound. For me, priority number one is making the singer feel comfortable and confident. Compression is almost always a big part of that. Of course, everyone does things differently, and different people have different approaches.

Cheers.
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/05/04 20:16:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: cryophonik
    Why would you want to do this? The idea behind compressing the vocals during tracking is to control the dynamic range of the recorded track. If you were to only compress the headphone mix (i.e., not the recorded take), you would likely have the opposite effect, especially with less experienced vocalists who don't know when/how much to back off a mic. In other words, the vocalist may perceive that he/she is not singing loud enough during louder passages when the compressor kicks in and try to belt it out even more to compensate. Now, not only would the dynamic range of the recorded track be all over the map, but the tone/pitch quality of the vocals may suffer as well.

if the vocalist can't hear themselves they will suck. you can compress and clip edit wild dynamics and you can pitch correct intonation but you can never, ever, ever fix a crappy vocal in the mix. if you need to route insane compression to the headphones then that's what you need to do. if it's crazy reverb then do that. if it's a high-pass you'd never use in the mix do that. if piping the raw vocals back to the vocalist gets you a better take faster than them actually hearing themselves then do that. somehow though i doubt that's the case.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/05/04 20:25:40 (permalink)
    Yep,

Dude, when am I gonna stop seeing a big "X" where your avatar used to be. We may have to start a campaign to find you a new one. Hmm ... I suddenly feel very sinister inside.
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/05/04 20:27:51 (permalink)
    joe, how do i have more posts than you? i must talk too much...

- jack the ex-cynic
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/05/04 20:34:09 (permalink)
    My first couple of years here I didn't post very much. Half of my posts were made during the last year probably. You trying to tell me sumpin'?
    cryophonik
    RE: Compression during recording 2007/05/04 21:12:33 (permalink)
    Just to be clear in case you haven't been reading my posts very closely, I am talking about using some light compression to control peaks when recording vocalists with poor mic technique.

ORIGINAL: jacktheexcynic

if the vocalist can't hear themselves they will suck...if piping the raw vocals back to the vocalist gets you a better take faster than them actually hearing themselves then do that. somehow though i doubt that's the case.

It's not a matter of them hearing themselves - I have never NEEDED to compress a headphone a mix for a singer to hear him/herself. If your singer is having trouble hearing him/herself sans compression, then you need to check your signal path and/or buy a better headphones, headphone amp, and/or preamp.

midiroom, Joe Bravo, and Yep provide some very valid reasons for using compression in headphone mixes and, admittedly, I've been known to do the same, but your implication that "piping the raw vocals back to the vocalist" cannot equate with "them actually hearing themselves" is absurd. Believe me, I'm not some visionary who came up with the idea - many people have been mixing this way for decades and getting some pretty solid takes, #1 hits, etc. I KNOW that's the case.
    post edited by cryophonik - 2007/05/04 21:23:01

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1