Compression techniques for single drum track

Author
NeilC
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 44
2009/09/29 13:51:33 (permalink)

Compression techniques for single drum track

Hi Experts,
                  Can anyone offer some pointers towards how best to use compression for a single MIDI drum audio track,ie where all the instruments are contained within the same .wav file.I normally break out the instruments into individual tracks,but just by way of a learning exercise,on this occasion I've bounced all the drum parts from the TTS-1 Channel 10 into one track.

This obviously presents a different challenge,and is probably not the best approach,however..

Is the use of a multi-band compressor the way forward here?

All ideas welcome.

Many Thanks

NeilC
Warrington
UK

9 Replies Related Threads

batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Compression techniques for single drum track 2009/09/29 14:19:01 (permalink)
    i would suggest a very mild single band compression, just to glue it together.
    as soon as you get more aggressive with the compression, you'll start compromising everywhere.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Legion
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1986
    Re:Compression techniques for single drum track 2009/09/29 14:24:07 (permalink)
    It all depends on the frum track you have and what you are trying to achieve. Sometimes paralell compression (bus the drums to two separete buses and compresse one a lot then bring it up under the original) can sound great. For normal bus compression I've gotten great results with LA3A emulations as well as the more obvious SSL, Neve 33609 and API 2500 bus compressors. Keep the attack not to fast to let the initial transients through and match the release so it's recovered before the next hit. If you need to tame cymbals or something then a multiband is the way to go, try to sweep with an EQ at first to find the offending frequencys.

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    mixsit
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    Re:Compression techniques for single drum track 2009/09/29 16:38:50 (permalink)
    And.. as a rule with any mixed/combo track, your options are partly restricted by the individual parts within the mix- their shapes and levels vs. the shape of your target' instrument here.
    In other words it would be tough to 'shape one element if some other is going to get hit first' or harder.

Wayne Smith
    Part time long time..
    CathouseSound 
    Mother Ships  - StudioCat DAWs   
    Portals - RME
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    Re:Compression techniques for single drum track 2009/09/29 16:51:55 (permalink)
    Lege's suggestion on parallel compression is a good one. I always do that on drums. With parallel compression you can really squash the daylights out of it, then mix it back with the raw drums to keep the dynamics. For that, I like to use Sonitus > Compressor > "Drum Destroyer".

The problem, though, is when compressing a single drum track, the kick drum sometimes becomes overpowering. That can be good if you're going for the John Bonham sound. But if that's not your style, you need to split it up so that the kick doesn't get out of hand. Multi-band is one way, though I've never used it. Another way is (if you're doing parallel compression) to put a hipass filter on the compression bus and chop off anything below, say, 300Hz. Now mix that back with the raw drums, and voila... cool compression on the kit while the kick stays raw & crisp.

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    NeilC
    Re:Compression techniques for single drum track 2009/09/29 17:14:55 (permalink)
    Thanks Guys,
                          Some excellent ideas from you all.

Regards
    NC
    NeilC
    Re:Compression techniques for single drum track 2009/10/01 07:28:09 (permalink)
    Hi Guys,
                 The parallel compression method looks interesting,so I tried Spaceduck's suggestion using the Sonitus compressor "Drum Destroyer"
    setting,which proved very effective.

One question I have with regard to this method,is there any rule of thumb as far as the relative output settings of the non-compressed vs compressed buses? They can both obviously be lowered to keep the summed level below clipping,but should the compressed output have
    an ideal level below that of the dry signal before summing?

Cheers

Neil
    Warrington
    UK
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Compression techniques for single drum track 2009/10/01 08:07:56 (permalink)
    I think the general idea is to bring up the compressed channel at a lower level than that of the dry track.

If you bring up the compressed copy too much, you'll end up losing all the dynamic variation that the dry track naturally has - which sort of defeats the whole idea of parallel compression!!!

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Compression techniques for single drum track 2009/10/01 10:55:35 (permalink)
    bristol's right, the idea is to provide MEAT with the compressed track, and dynamics and attack with the non processed track.

the compressed track should only be 'filler' underneath the original track.
    there is a sweet spot, your job is to find it.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    Re:Compression techniques for single drum track 2009/10/01 11:44:44 (permalink)
    Yup, Bristol & Batty speaketh the truth. When I do parallel compression with Sonitus Drum Destroyer, I typically leave the raw track volume @ 0dB, and the compression send is way down to -12dB or even -18. The cool thing is you can play with it on the fly & hear it dramatically affect the mix. Glad to hear it's working out for you!

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1