Computer Shutting Down After 5 Minutes

Author
kurrykid
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 309
2010/05/05 12:54:43 (permalink)

Computer Shutting Down After 5 Minutes

My computer has begun to randomly shut off after a few minutes (it varies from a few minutes to 10 minutes).  Does any one have any thoughts on what I might look for?  In the past, I have found that it is usually a heat related issue.  I popped the cover off and looked at the fans and the all seem to be running fine (although there is a lot of fan noise when I first boot up).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

14 Replies Related Threads

hairyjamie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 947
    Re:Computer Shutting Down After 5 Minutes 2010/05/05 13:18:13 (permalink)
    You might get some more mileage from this in the Computers forum.

What are your PC specs etc. ? Your suspicions of heat may be correct - does the PC switch off after a short time even when its been off for some time?
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Computer Shutting Down After 5 Minutes 2010/05/05 13:38:35 (permalink)
    kurrykid

My computer has begun to randomly shut off after a few minutes (it varies from a few minutes to 10 minutes).  Does any one have any thoughts on what I might look for?  In the past, I have found that it is usually a heat related issue.  I popped the cover off and looked at the fans and the all seem to be running fine (although there is a lot of fan noise when I first boot up).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Some motherboards will show in the BIOS setup screen what the temps are and some even come with a system tray tool to check them.  Also, some show the fan speeds.

If you fans are turning I would leave the cover off and see if the thing keeps running. If you have a little fan to blow on the motherboard that will help with the test. If the thing keeps running then you know you have a thermal issue.  A new CPU sink and fan might do the trick or maybe an extra case fan.  If any of the fans are making a funny noise they may also be turning slower.
    leapinlizard
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re:Computer Shutting Down After 5 Minutes 2010/05/05 13:48:15 (permalink)
    Yep, my first impression is that there is a thermal issue.  Some good suggestions here, and you might also check to be sure your CPU heatsink did not come unclipped from the motherboard.  The next thing I might check would be power, specifically to see if your power supply is capable of handling the load from the components in your system.

"Surf music will never die." -- LeapinLizard, 1963
    "We may never hear surf music again." -- Jimi Hendrix, 1967. 
    ohhey
    Re:Computer Shutting Down After 5 Minutes 2010/05/05 14:01:57 (permalink)
    leapinlizard

Yep, my first impression is that there is a thermal issue.  Some good suggestions here, and you might also check to be sure your CPU heatsink did not come unclipped from the motherboard.  The next thing I might check would be power, specifically to see if your power supply is capable of handling the load from the components in your system.

Good idea... also don't forget to check the fan in the power supply to make sure it's moving air.
    kurrykid
    Re:Computer Shutting Down After 5 Minutes 2010/05/05 23:02:57 (permalink)
    It appears all the fans are moving.  I do have information in the BIOS and after about 5 minutes, the CPU temp is about 67C and the CPU fan is running a constant 3445RPM.  The fan on the power supply is running.

Is there anyway to test a power supply without taking it in to someone?

The computer is an old one I put together a while back with Windows XP (as an audio machine).  I has an Athlon 64, 3000+, 2.0Ghz chip with 1.5 GB RAM.  I am hoping it can run Sonar 8.5 as I just upgraded and received it in the mail yesterday :-)

Thanks fo all the comments but it is still shutting down :-(

Dave

kurrykid
    Re:Computer Shutting Down After 5 Minutes 2010/05/05 23:43:32 (permalink)
    Well, I took a big fan and blew on the motherboard while it was running and it still shut off...although it took probably twice as long.  Should the processor heat sink/fan combo unit be so hot that you can't touch it after 5-10 minutes?  I think I will try a refresh of the artic silver and see if I can find an old fan laying around that I replace the processor fan with.

Thanks.

Dave
    leapinlizard
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re:Computer Shutting Down After 5 Minutes 2010/05/06 12:39:43 (permalink)
    kurrykid

It appears all the fans are moving.  I do have information in the BIOS and after about 5 minutes, the CPU temp is about 67C and the CPU fan is running a constant 3445RPM.  The fan on the power supply is running.

Is there anyway to test a power supply without taking it in to someone?

The computer is an old one I put together a while back with Windows XP (as an audio machine).  I has an Athlon 64, 3000+, 2.0Ghz chip with 1.5 GB RAM.  I am hoping it can run Sonar 8.5 as I just upgraded and received it in the mail yesterday :-)

Thanks fo all the comments but it is still shutting down :-(

Dave

67 degrees C?  Wow.  I have two systems that run consistently at 35 degrees C or less, and with an aftermarket CPU cooler most people are able to get their temps down below 30C.  So, yeah, you are burning up!  I remember that some of the older Athlons ran pretty hot, so you might need to take more drastic steps to get your temps down - Arctic Silver should help, but don't forget that a little Arctic Silver goes a long way - you can overdo it, too.

As for your power supply, try to determine what the wattage is from its label.  If you are running anything less than 350 Watts, which I would consider a bare minimum for a semi-modern system then you should probably get something a little beefier.  A system that is starved for power is not a happy system!  But, I would address your thermal issue first.
    post edited by leapinlizard - 2010/05/06 12:41:52

"Surf music will never die." -- LeapinLizard, 1963
    "We may never hear surf music again." -- Jimi Hendrix, 1967. 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Computer Shutting Down After 5 Minutes 2010/05/06 15:38:47 (permalink)
    Get some of that compressed air in a can and blow out the cooling fins. Just because the fans are running doesn't mean a whole lot. If dust has accumulated inside the cooling fins, the processor will overheat.

I had a service call to do this very thing on a hospital security system server that was only 9 months old.... it was crashing the system. Cleaned out the dust bunnies and everything ran sweet.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    MemphisJo
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 594
    Re:Computer Shutting Down After 5 Minutes 2010/05/06 15:48:10 (permalink)
    Bear in mind also that it might not just be the CPU overheating (if at all) the north and southbridge chips can overheat. 

The temp failure / temp sensitivity of the chip/s will increase the more it fails, i.e. if it was failing at 80 the more it fails it might start failing at 70 60  etc...

You may need a new motherboard period.

PS does the computer shut it's self down or does it freeze up?
    post edited by MemphisJo - 2010/05/06 15:49:40

www.soundclick.com/peter-nigel-productions 
    Shuttle PC, Mbox2 pro, some guitars and keyboards (with amps and straps etc), Sonar 8 PE plus some other stuff.

kurrykid
    Re:Computer Shutting Down After 5 Minutes 2010/05/06 22:38:23 (permalink)
    Well it looks like I was able to resolve the issue by wiping off the old "artic silver paste" from the processor and applying some new stuff.  I've had it on for a few hours tonight and it hasn't shut off yet.  Thanks to everyone for their help...I really appreciate it.

Dave
    ohhey
    Re:Computer Shutting Down After 5 Minutes 2010/05/07 00:12:14 (permalink)
    kurrykid

Well it looks like I was able to resolve the issue by wiping off the old "artic silver paste" from the processor and applying some new stuff.  I've had it on for a few hours tonight and it hasn't shut off yet.  Thanks to everyone for their help...I really appreciate it.

Dave

Fantastic ! I hope that was all it was.  Looks like that shut down feature of the MB saved your system, kept it from just burning up.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Computer Shutting Down After 5 Minutes 2010/05/07 07:50:29 (permalink)
    that grease helps to transfer the heat.... very good that you discovered that issue and got it solved.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Computer Shutting Down After 5 Minutes 2010/05/07 10:21:22 (permalink)
    Yes, that was a very lucky shot!!! Hopefully things will keep humming along.  I've found that oftentimes when the computer shuts down like that on older computers, it's usually the result of some component or card going south. More times than not it's related to the network interface ie modem, ethernet card, etc.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

kurrykid
    Re:Computer Shutting Down After 5 Minutes 2010/05/07 16:13:02 (permalink)
    Yeah, um...I spoke too soon   About 5 minutes after I posted, it shut down (while I was installing Sonar 8.5).  I am going to have to look to upgrade as I don't want to spend any money on such an old box...especially when I can't be guaranteed the money I spend will fix it.

Thanks for all the comments / help.

Dave
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1