Computer Specs

Author
RxMuzik
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2008/05/19 11:41:22 (permalink)

Computer Specs

I am looking to get a new computer (PC) and I am interesting in learning what specs would optimize my Sonar 7 Producer Edition performance...ie, how much RAM, What sound card, etc...

I currently have an HP with 1g RAM, Windows XP,Pentium 4 2.6Ghz, and I use an m-Audio Mobilepre USB preamp/audio interface

Thanks! Bill

6 Replies Related Threads

alkie
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2706
    RE: Computer Specs 2008/05/19 12:08:48 (permalink)
    i suggest build yourself to get some ideas of what you need checkout the specs on these pre-built DAW`s http://www.sweetwater.com/creation_station/ also keep your old hp for surfing and downloading and connect them with a usb to usb transfer cable and buy a KVM switch so you can run both comps through one monitor and keyboard mouse setup unless you have room for 2 complete setups. never hook the new one to the net or put in antivirus stuff in bogs down the system just scan before transport from the surf comp. also i have a list of tweaks for XP i could email to you when you get your new comp.

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
    for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
    because he knows the time is short.....
    let him who hath understanding.....
    reckon the number of the beast.....
    for it is a human number...
    it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
    Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
    bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Computer Specs 2008/05/19 12:32:23 (permalink)
    If you are comfortable building a system, check out my specs (in my signature), they work quite well.

However, if you really want a rock solid system backed by a guarentee and reall support,

go to adkproaudio or studiocat (.com). Both of these guys do a great job. Yes, it may cost you a litlle more that building yourself but that few extra hundres is well worth it. These guys know their stuff.

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Computer Specs 2008/05/19 12:35:08 (permalink)
    keep your old hp for surfing and downloading and connect them with a usb to usb transfer cable and buy a KVM switch so you can run both comps through one monitor and keyboard mouse setup unless you have room for 2 complete setups. never hook the new one to the net or put in antivirus stuff in bogs down the system just scan before transport from the surf comp.

+1
    edentowers
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1164
    RE: Computer Specs 2008/05/19 12:43:57 (permalink)

One of these PCs...
    http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsdt_720?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~xpsdt_720_anav2~~
    Two of these monitors...
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4687
    One of these soundcards...
    http://www.rolandus.com/products/productlist.aspx?ParentId=114

I really do not advocate building it yourself, and I have a wealth of experience on which to base that remark. Buy yourself a Dell and get on with making some music. And if you want some reassurance then take a look at all the computers that Cakewalk seem to have in the background running Sonar in their videos from NAMM etc.

Be wary of the widescreen monitors too. They don't give you the ideal amount of height. Which is why i suggest sticking to a couple of standard 20 inch screens.
    Oh, and consign your old setup to a dumpster and just connect your new PC up to the internet and surf away. Don't install any of Dell's anti virus stuff. Get hold of AVG 2008 Free Edition from Grisoft.
    My 2 cents.

S8PE, Dell XPS 720 (Q6600), XP Pro SP2, Edirol UA-101
    RxMuzik
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Computer Specs 2008/05/19 13:57:23 (permalink)
    why two monitors? I am new at this
    robert.t
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 555
    RE: Computer Specs 2008/05/19 14:11:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RxMuzik

why two monitors? I am new at this

It allows you to have the main sonar arrangement window in one monitor. On the second you could have the following if you could run:

- Console view (or any other sonar view that you make regular reference to such as the video view if you score to film)
    - A piece of software you rewire with sonar
    - Plugins
    - If you are new to sonar, the PDF manual!

i think you get the idea! but seriously it is definitly worth the money.

Rob
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1