Computer based drum machine to play drum loops?

Author
wysocki
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2009/07/09 21:31:39 (permalink)

Computer based drum machine to play drum loops?

I just got a new Roland RD300GX piano and I'd like to play it in a piano bar setting. Unfortunately, although it's a great keyboard, the built-in drums are as lame as can be.
So I've created a bunch of drum loops: some 1-bar intros, 4-bar phrases, and some endings, in various styles. Now I'd like to use my computer as a drum machine so I can play the drum tracks via midi along with my keyboard.

I'm envisioning of some kind of app that would allow me to select my "style" set and a tempo. Then I could tap "Z" to start playing the intro, "X" for the phrase variation 1, "C" for variation 2, "V" for an ending, etc. Each selection would wait until the previously selected loop was done. If I didn't select anything, the loop would repeat indefinitely.

Does anything exist like this now? If not, can Sonar LE be used to do it (outside of creating the loops to begin with)? Any other ideas on how to play the loops?

3 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Computer based drum machine to play drum loops? 2009/07/10 00:19:12 (permalink)
    I don't know of any such app. I'd love to have it, though, if it does exist.

Years ago I had a drum machine that I could cycle through patterns and throw in fills with footswitches. I used to love jamming with it to develop ideas.

Probably the closest thing to what you're after is Jamstix. It's an intelligent drum machine that plays according to one of many selectable styles (or you can create your own set of rules), plus it interacts with you. It's especially good for keyboards, because it can monitor your MIDI velocities and adjust its playing accordingly (e.g. switching from hats to rides when you start playing harder).

Jamstix also sounds really good, in the same league with the best drum sample players. It has add-on libraries for different kits, percussion, brushes, mallets, etc.

P.S. Welcome to the forum, wysocki.
    post edited by bitflipper - 2009/07/10 00:32:12

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    wysocki
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Computer based drum machine to play drum loops? 2009/07/10 00:33:58 (permalink)
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply and the welcom, Bitflipper!
    I'll check out Jamstix as a possibility. My old keyboard was a Korg i3 which was an "intelligent arranger". This meant that it had tons of drum tracks in a variety of styles and you could pick them easily while performing (it also watched your chord patterns and supplied backup instrumentation like guitars, horns, etc. too). The old Korg died, but I at least need to get a good drum backing to my impromptu tunes (usually requests, so I need to pick a drum groove quickly). Interestingly, I've been a professional drummer for 40 years (played lots of studio work and at the White House), just recently going over to the melodic side. I'm so embarassed by the crap that is put out as midi drums (and built-in drum tracks in keyboards). I'm satisfying my melodic needs now, but the drums sure are a sore subject now.

Anyone else have any suggestions?
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Computer based drum machine to play drum loops? 2009/07/10 11:53:51 (permalink)
    Jamstix has a "jam with audio" option...... since I always use midi... I have never tried that function.... get the demo at www.rayzoon.com and see if it does what you need.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1