Computer would not boot after Windows 8.1 update

Author
vladasyn
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1092
2013/10/18 22:30:39 (permalink)

Computer would not boot after Windows 8.1 update

Hey, guys!

I updated my Haswell 4770K with Asus Z87 Deluxe motherboard computer last night. (It is not my music computer). It was working fine- no visible issues. Been working all day today, and then...

I wanted to restart it because Yahoo Toolbar was not showing up and Yahoo mail was missing check boxes when you want to delete mail- minor thing.

When I restarted, Windows loaded with logo, up to the image that comes right before we asked to put the password in. I wanted to click on the image to proceed to log in screen but mouse would not respond. The mouse was connected to KVM switch between 2 computers. I have lost connection before, so I did not think anything of it. I went on another computer and that one also did not have mouse. I thought- KVM switch froze (it happens once in a while). But keyboard was still working. After trying another mouse, somehow I got that other computer (Windows 8, not updated to 8.1) to restart and now it works fine from the KVM switch.

The first computer with Haswell and Windows 8.1 is not responding to anything. I have now wired keyboard and mouse connected to it directly. If I enter the BIOS, I see mouse working. Soon as I exit and let it load Windows, it goes up to the image before log in screen and never progresses to log in. I did restarted it by shutting down power button, but still- usually that would not make it unusable.

I noted that all USB ports appear dead. Like if I put in USB stick, there supposed to be light indicator, but no light coming on. I look in BIOS- there is no setting for USB utilization as I have on my Z77 board where it asks if I want full utilization of USB ports (all usb available during the boot)or partial (only keyboard and mouse). On this computer's BIOS it has "Enable" or "Disable" for all USB ports and all set to "Enable". Something happens to it when Windows loads. My KVM blinking as if computer was off, but Monitors work. Something must be wrong with USB management.

I have read suggestion to start from DVD in safe mode and update USB drivers. I am not sure how to start in safe mode and don't want to mass with USB drivers, because then it would definitely not work. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

https://soundcloud.com/vlada-astral 
http://vladasyn.wix.com/astral#
I am a female. Windows 8.1
Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
  Multiple keyboards and modules, software synths.  

5 Replies Related Threads

joakes
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 905
    Re: Computer would not boot after Windows 8.1 update 2013/10/19 04:00:09 (permalink)
    Others have success tales, i don't, and i'm no PC slouch.

I went back twice to W7, still there. It ain't broke, so .......

Sorry for your miseries. Safe mode IIRC hold down F8 at boot up.

Cheers and good luck,
    Jerry

Built by yours truely : I7-2600@3.4GHz, Asus P67Z68, W10x64 Creator Edition, 32GB RAM, 3 HD's, nVidia 760 GT, Focusrite 18i20 2,d Gen + Ti FW, Oxygen 61 iv Gen, and Edirol SD-20 (yes it works), CbB, Teles, Strats, LP's, Epi Riviera, etc
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Computer would not boot after Windows 8.1 update 2013/10/19 07:39:54 (permalink)
    I would suspect a basic hardware problem, rather than a Windows problem, since no port responds. 

First thought, reset the BIOS (many motherboards have a BIOS reset button on it, others you have to take the CR2032 CMOS backup battery out (with the PC powered off) for AT LEAST 10 Minutes to reset the CMOS (BIOS). 

If that doesn't help, break the PC down to only the keyboard and mouse in USB ports, nothing else and try it.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    vladasyn
    Re: Computer would not boot after Windows 8.1 update 2013/10/19 08:11:26 (permalink)
    Thank you for replies. When press F8, there are boot options such as DVD, SSD and generic, but not "safe mode", "normal mode" and such, therefore I can't enter safe mode.

The BIOS manages USB port power fine- everything lights up. When OS loads, it looses power. OS is working- I can see it gets on line, and even goes to sleep.

Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
    Starriddin
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Computer would not boot after Windows 8.1 update 2013/10/20 07:15:28 (permalink)
    Go to Asus Support. They have new drivers for almost everything. The USB ports may need the newest AI Suite drivers.
    vladasyn
    Re: Computer would not boot after Windows 8.1 update 2013/10/20 11:17:55 (permalink)
    I know Asus has drivers. The problem is to install drivers as I can not log in without keyboard or mouse.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1