Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
foxwolfen
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8256
2008/09/30 23:42:03 (permalink)

This is a raw one take recording. I have done no mixing other than the basics. This is an improv.

It was originally titled: "Busting Blocks" as this is the first original thing I have done in a while as I was stuck in some sort of artist limbo. I just decided to push though it and accept what ever came out. This is the result. It may sound a tad familiar at the beginning... but that is rather short lived. I needed to start somewhere so I started with what I knew for a few bars. I think it gets most interesting around the 2 1/2 minute mark.

There are a few longish pauses (that last for a couple of beats). If there was accompanying music you would not likely have noticed, but as this is a solo for the most part, the rests are more apparent. I may or may not redo this. I have other elements that I can incorporate in the song, and a few that can be removed. I may also just make it a piano solo as it started out being (I changed the instrument after recording).

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum

46 Replies Related Threads

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/01 01:02:30 (permalink)
    Hooray...

I really like this, some really interesting harmonics coming out of them low registers. Because of that and because of the pace of it they are a better choice of instruments than the straight piano. It works really well.

I liked the change around halfway through you mentioned as well although I didn't read your post until after I'd listened so as not to colour my thoughts about it before the event.

Nice one as it is but I'm sure if you do add to it that'll be good too.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Taylor_514C
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1215
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/01 11:11:41 (permalink)
    I definitely like what you've built so far for the melodies. I enjoyed listening to it in its current form - without percussion.

Taylor_514CMy Music:

lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/01 11:18:42 (permalink)
    Improv works for me Shad! I think the samples used here sound veerry good. I like the way this sounds all by it's lonesome. It projects loneliness or being off in the distance somewhere... I would even venture to say it has a certain mystical quality about it. Those wonderful lower registers go right to the bone man! If this were my tune. I'd leave as is. There is a certain sonic and emotional quality about it that may otherwise be depleted with additional instrumentation IMO... In a nutshell..I absolutely love this!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/01 11:25:11 (permalink)
    A lot of nice melodies in this piece, Shad. Even in its raw form, the mix sounds pretty good on my work computer. I like how the piece picks up pace in terms of rhythmic and melodic elements as it progresses. Are you planning on using some of these elements as the basis of new pieces? There are some themes in this improv could easily be further developed into separate works. Regardless, this was an enjoyable way to start my day.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/01 12:33:51 (permalink)
    Shad, I'm off on a business trip (leaving right now) so can't really comment now. I listened and loved it.

I'll get back with more attentive ears on the weekend.

Rick
    post edited by No How - 2008/10/01 12:42:22

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/01 15:24:57 (permalink)
    Nice to hear from you again! This is good stuff! Nicely out of the ordinary.
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/01 15:36:48 (permalink)
    Hi Shad,

A nice introspective mood to this, reminded me a little of 'Hergest Ridge' by Mike Oldfield. Room for a counter melody in there if you felt like it!

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    M. Man
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 770
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/01 17:44:09 (permalink)
    Really like it

Just one thing that comes to mind....
    The players need air to play - in the real world.
    A few passages that are inpossible to actually play.
    foxwolfen
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/01 23:25:04 (permalink)
    Jon - Thanks bro. Its nice to be back *cough*.

Doug - It just did not seem to need any percussion - it seemed to me to contain its own. I am pleased you enjoyed it.

Larry - I think you are right. The only things I think I will fix are what I hope are velocity issues near the beginning of the song. Leave the rest alone. The emotion comes from the pure joy that making music brings... when I started pounding this out I turned to Sophie with a huge smile. As you an others are what I look toward when I see excellence, I am proud to say that this was a first in two ways. 1. No click track - this was played totally from the hip. 2. This is the first take. I pounded out some new little bits over the last few evenings and then sat and recorded this the first time. Its not perfect, but for me a huge achievement.

Dave - Isn't music great? It just keeps giving. I so agree there are lost of new areas to explore. You will be hearing more in the continuing saga (I also sort of have to, as I painted myself into a corner by calling it a Concerto. A single piece doth not a concerto make. Others are mandated.

Rick - Enjoy your trip dude Glad you enjoyed it.

Janet - Thanks Mom - I was starting to practice one of the songs I was planning on redoing when after a few bars I went "Been there, done that"... so instead just said "time to try something new".

James - You always challenge me to go a bit further. I must say I respect that. I will be going further with other parts (I missed many elements I had due to time), so will try to do what you suggest with them. If you have any ideas please do consider adding your interpretation (this goes for anyone). I enjoy learning from others.

MM - Yeah I suspect the players would be purple before the end of a few passages even with circular breathing. I will concentrate on that aspect in the next two parts.

Thanks again everyone for listening. Its great to be free of the wall again. You guys are indeed the best. And thanks for puttin up with me while worked stuff out.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/01 23:39:38 (permalink)
    I enjoyed this, I enjoyed the space, the room. It felt like I was at a classical concert. It feels a little dark... And I know it's a concerto for dbl reed and bass, but it would have been nice to hear the other insturments "bleed in". Some piano? Strings? Horns? But I liked it none the less. Like me, simple and dark...

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    M. Man
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 770
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/02 08:52:28 (permalink)
    Shad,
    I'll pass this over to my sister and ask her about how many bars it's possible to play before "game over"

She's a basoon-player.

My personal "all time high redface" was playing 1. trumpet on "Also sprach Zarathustra"
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/02 10:50:23 (permalink)

Hi Shad

Interesting piece mate - I like the way it progresses.

It stands as a passage of music on its own rights, but it would also be a great starting point, IMHO, as the basis of a really big orchestral piece.

You know you want to

Stevbe

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/02 14:20:46 (permalink)
    Foxman, what a profound piece. I was blown away when I read that it's all improv.

Here's why I think it's amazing. It starts out very somber and almost desolate. Like a lone drifter who stops on a bridge to ponder the merits of jumping off. Anyway, then a weird thing happens; the music seems to gain strength from itself, and it becomes downright uplifting. In one of the posts above you mentioned a moment when you turned to Sophie and smiled. I can practically "see" it through the music.

Anyway, I'm always on here talking about how music's greatest strength is to transmit energy through emotion. To my ears, you really pulled it off with this piece. Way to break the block, man. It's also great to hear someone bust through the prison we create for ourselves with metronomes & click tracks. Keep it coming!

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/02 15:31:25 (permalink)
    Very nice, Shad. you've moved thru the range of emotions with this. I would like to hear some accompaniment myself, but it's good as a solo act! good work!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/02 17:47:29 (permalink)
    Shad,
    Nice concerto (okay, I admit, I don't know what a concerto is) but I can like it anyway, right? Nice job. You obviously did a lot of work to structure this out and it shows. Nice solo piece.
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/02 23:18:31 (permalink)
    Busting Blocks. It fits.Darkness and joy curiously intermingled. This speaks from a strangely familiar place.
    If you could hear a Japanese rock garden, it might sound like this.
    I like what I am hearing (and not hearing), and can easily picture you smiling at Sophie.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    foxwolfen
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/03 21:29:39 (permalink)
    Robby - Thanks man. Its interesting that you mentioned simple. It dawns on me that of the ten songs I have made, they have become progressively more simple. The first song I made was more than 20 tracks. Each subsequent song had fewer and fewer tracks. This was one track only.

MM - While you are at it, would you mind asking her if A) the Bassoon can go that low? and B) Can a bass clarinet go that high? And any other inputs about the bassoon and its playing techniques that should be considered.

I am thinking, as I did not limit myself to just the bassoon (as an oboe is also a double reed) that I might be able to go a bit higher yet if I use three instruments in some parts. Originally I had alot more in the upper scale, but kept it low and mid range only as the vst starts to sound a bit "organish" when the register climbs. If I can get a good oboe sample and better clarinet it might sound reasonably convincing.

Steve - Thanks for the listen bro. I know this is a bit outside your genre, but hey, I like both Metallica and Apocolyptica, i figure you might too .

Ducky - You choked me up a bit there man. In some ways you made me realize that this was a reflection of my own journey the last few months. It kinda reinforces the idea about "angst" being fuel for creativity.

Reece - I am very happy you listened my friend. It means a lot. You will have your wish I think. I have two more parts to make for this and I have an orchestra patch that sounds really nice in this range.

Tony - LOL. I didn't either. I had to look it up hehehe. Thanks for the listen. I am glad you enjoyed it with out needed to know what it was .

Bob - Thank you kindly. Your words mean a lot to me. Its funny you should mention a Rock Garden, as they are my favorite type (I am somewhat enamored by Japanese art and culture). One of the experiments I tried prior to recording was with some oriental instruments and interestingly enough it worked very well with this piece. It was a tough call to decide on the Bassoon and Clarinet.

EDIT - It occurs to me that previously I said I changed the instrument after recording. This was a mistake. I played with a few and settled on this sound before recording (sorry I am pretty tired these days and things are a bit of a blur).

Cheers
    Shad
    post edited by foxwolfen - 2008/10/03 21:36:07

Composers Forum
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/04 01:24:58 (permalink)
    Hello Shad,

The lower harmonies to the motiff are nice. I think it would be good to add some variations in the upper reeds to that recurring motiff as it is setting itself up for further investigation/exploration. I love the sound of reed instruments as they can convey a wide spectrum of sonic color and feeling. It's a good listen- i liked a lot- and is pulling me in but it's afraid to show me around the house.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/04 09:56:03 (permalink)
    hey Shad

hmm. typing as i listen, so things may change...firstly, a concerto is (usually) a piece between a solo instrument or instruments playing a virtuosic part against an orchestra. So this ain't that. then again, it wouldn't conform to the classical definition of a sonata either! i like it! how the piece develops, from the quiet sombre beginning, gradually changing register and building up. i can hear it in my head as a sorta baroque organ piece, using some reedy European organ. Not sure where you go with this, clearly the choice of instruments gives it an atmosphere you wouldn't get with conventional scoring. You really are full of surprises!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    tdye
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/04 12:34:32 (permalink)
    instruments sound very full and clear. a relaxing listen.

Tom
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomdye
    http://www.ourstage.com/profile/tomdye
    http://twitter.com/tom_dye

Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading 3.2GHz, 3 GB Ram, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Rapture, Project5
    Rodney
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 65
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/04 21:12:30 (permalink)
    Interesting piece and innovative orchestration. I enjoyed the evolution of this. Very nice.
    foxwolfen
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/05 10:21:50 (permalink)
    Rick - Thanks for the listen. I know what you mean about it not quite taking you the whole way. It will be an interesting challenge to expand this into further parts.

Mark - In the classic sense, this would be an Aria. However, in the modern sense, calling it an aria would confuse people as they would expect opera. We had trouble defining the piece and I settled on Concerto as being close with the intention of adding orchestra (see my reply to Reece). It is interesting you mentioned a reed organ, as that is sadly what the instrument sounded like at times. Unfortunately all my budget VSTs are rather poor replacements for quality ones except in very narrow ranges. I do have a pipe organ that sounds good and did actually try this piece using that.

Tom - Thanks. I thought so too.

Rodney - I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment. Thank you.

Sorry if anybody tried to listen to this last night and could not connect - a cable had been knocked loose on the router and I did not discover it till this morning.

Cheers
    Shad
    post edited by foxwolfen - 2008/10/05 10:22:16

Composers Forum
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/05 10:41:46 (permalink)
    Shad
    i also agree that it is good to see you here again.

I really like this composition ..... It depecits real emotion....and after all I feel that what life brings us is what we bring to our music.........so good job here..

1st.I like the fact that this work is simple only in texture....(Two instruments)
    I like the fact that you have both positive and negative space ( sound vs no sound) going on here....it's important to give the ears rest inbetween sound and the mind a chance to guesstamate what is about to happen next...........it kinda of builds tension and release....good job here

However....
    2nd and in MY OWN OPINION ONLY......(this is your work and your virtual world.....you may do with it as you wish)
    you have stated that you shot from the hip on this.......and you did a very good job of it......and......this is how we get started in our idea's........but I kept hearing the same melody being repeated and it made me feel like you were noodling around a area of the keyboard that harmonically just fit.you were not pushing the boundries ...(I know this because if you listen to my tune Space and Time the third solo I did just what you did!!!!LOL)........(and I have the nerve to hammer you for it!!! I think they both fit but I could really stand to go back and rework that solo of mine)

3rd I think you next step is to now take what you have and go thru it line by line (phrase by pharse) and work out a development for them.(statement and response).....this will not only lengthen the work but help you in your creative process to push the work farther....

4th keep this instrumentation.......it works well.........Like you I think it does not any other instrumentation ...........Use your entire range and then some.....the composers of old always pushed the boundries of the present dayinstruments and instrumentalists...and that is why we have what we have today...so even if a horn player turns slightly blue....ok.......even if the instrumentation goes a little out side their range.....ok.....they will learn to compansate if you really want to have this played in real life.other wise.it's your world.......do as you wish..........

Just MHO and 2 cnets worth.....and it was meant to be positive sir!!!!

Cliff

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    foxwolfen
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/06 13:55:07 (permalink)
    They were taken positive Cliff, have no fear there. I value all input.

I quite agree with you. I am afraid to explore the darkside (dissonance and tension) which is what will be required to take this music to a higher level. I played it safe by using very comfortable harmony. I admire people like Ron (Rolifer) who are not afraid to go to new places with their music.

I have been experimenting with taking this piece to the next step. I have not yet decided if this will be the last, the middle, or the first of three songs in the concerto. Right now I am leaning toward the last or middle.

Its hard to go a bit higher as the plugin does not sound much like a reed instrument at the higher registers. I may need to find somebody with a better set of plugins and have them instrument the track for me.

Cheers
    Shad

Composers Forum
    Zig
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/06 16:04:41 (permalink)
    I like the dark vibe..and when that maj7th chord comes in it just floats my boat immensely...was hearing Steve Hackett in my head at one point.
    My jury's out on whether any musical extensions are in keeping...I'd say yes if it were a pure "track", yet again I have that highly visual sense with this and it so works as a kind of musical snaphot. I have to say vid-soundtrack at this point!
    So glad you've punched over the plateau my man; I myself was dragging myself on stumps around the time I needed to have my busy head on; not pleasant..nice to see you there and around as always.

Me latest toon: http://youtu.be/WG-kG7b0HZo
    Me prog/blues tracks: www.arkade.com/shaunreeder
    x3(d)PE; W7Pro x64(SP1); Intel i7 4820K; Gigabyte X79-UD3; 32GB RAM; 240GB Neutron GTX SSD(OS+progs); 2x2TB SATAIII internal HDs(everything else); Radeon R9 3GB graphics; Motu 4Pre(fw) on TI-chip PCIe (driver 4.0.5.9644);
    NI KomPakt(yay!); Edirol PCR-M30(yay!);oodles of guitars; depleting patience.
    mstodge
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/06 20:55:52 (permalink)
    Hi Shad,

Very interesting piece this. Totally different to what i've been listening to on here. I kept expecting it to change course and break into a beat or something, it didn't, but it's no great loss as it's a real nice tune as it is.

Well done.
    foxwolfen
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/08 23:42:19 (permalink)
    Zig - Thanks for the listen and feedback.

Mark - It was quite a bit different for me too. Was not really intentional. I tried to accommodate your request in the other song I have posted.

Cheers
    Shad

Composers Forum
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/08 23:50:04 (permalink)
    NICE very NICE. Love the verb you used on this piece. A very clean sounding mix wouldn't add or change a thing. GREAT JOB!

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    RE: Concerto for Double Reed and Bass Clarinet 2008/10/09 00:05:18 (permalink)
    Shad

I listened to this over the weekend while writing a paper and forgot to leave a comment. Sorry!

Strictly speaking...( and I normally don't do such a thing).... this is a duet, not a concerto.

Most times a concerto has the backing of an orchestra and is in 3 movements. Fast, slow, fast.

I know this because I have been torn apart in other forums for calling a piece something other than what the usual protocol calls for.

The classical world seems to be full of people that will not listen to a piece for more than a few measures if it is not properlly named. Of course most of those people have a piece of paper that gives them this right to be sanctimonius a-holes.

This piece would not be overly difficult to back up with an orchestra if you had the inclination, but I think it could go either way. It stands on its own very well.

As to the breathing difficulties, wind blowers always complain that they need to breathe. Not once when I do a piano piece do I have to stop and stretch my fingers. They are all just prima donnas looking for attention. Except of course for those in this forum reading this thread!!

Well done

Ron

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1