Confused About Loop Formats

Author
Nick P
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3112
2007/05/11 18:00:44 (permalink)

Confused About Loop Formats

Although about 15 years behind the times, I want to find some drum loops to use as "starter" material for some smooth jazz tracks I need to do for a project. It would be great to be able to change the tempo, so I guess that means either Acidized or REX.

1) Is there an advantage to using Acidized or REX format loops? It seems REX is more prevalent.

2) I have Dimension Pro, Battery 3, and the RXP Player. All 3 can play REX loops. Is there one that is preferrable? I would think Battery 3 since I'll be doing my other drums in there as well, but I await the advice.

3) Is it okay to create a folder in My Documents to store all of these .rx2 files? Some of them are in Program Files; Others are in other places. Since they are data, I would think it's okay to create a master file anywhere and just point the browser of whatever instrument I decide on to that location.

Thanks for the help!

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!

3 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Confused About Loop Formats 2007/05/11 20:49:08 (permalink)
    Acidized files are audio files with markers in them. Different engines do better or worse jobs of stretching or shrinking them.

REx files are triggered by midi - they are longer audio files sliced up and you can play the slices from the keyboard.

With DimPro the programs themselves are locked into the Documents section. You can move or double them, but every upgrade puts the new programs back to Documents/Cake etc. You can put the actual audio files where ever you want when you install the program. I think you might be able to change that after the fact, too. Don't know about battery or RXP player (esp. the latter since I only have the REX files that came with SONAR/P5).

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Confused About Loop Formats 2007/05/11 21:04:52 (permalink)
    Thx AT. Sounds like the REX format is more flexible, it being MIDI and all. I don't mind moving or copying those files since I think I'll wind up using Battery and not DimPro as my Rex player.

Anyone else have any input on this?

Thanks!

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    jardim do mar
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1247
    RE: Confused About Loop Formats 2007/05/12 07:08:20 (permalink)
    Is there one that is preferrable?
    ,,,like,,, just "go for it,,,use everything,,,,,, but,,, acidized files in the Cyclone dxi,,,,,,,, i s like ,,,one of my favorites ,,,, the way you can tweak,,, your,,,,, loops on the fly,,,,realtime,,,,just latch the pads ,,, and tweak,,,,,, and when all outs are enabled ,,,ya can bounce ,,,,,,,,your creation,,,,,,,ya can record ,,, say your guitar ,,,,or like whatever,,,,,, create a groove clip out of it,,,,,, and bring it into the cyclone,,,,,,, before ya know it ,,,, ya have like so many,,,,, self created riffs,, to be used ,,,,,, ,,performing live or composing a tune,,,,,,,,,

marcella
    And Remember,,,,One thing at a Time.....
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1