Confused by Clips!

Author
SGodfrey
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 268
2015/05/22 08:27:48 (permalink)

Confused by Clips!

I can't get my head around the behavior of clips.  What I'm trying to do is develop my drum track which is using Battery 4 from the step sequencer.  It started off with just high hats then I copied that and added more drums, then I copied that and made variations.  What confuses me is the procedure I should go through to make sure each clip is unlinked from the previous one, otherwise an edit on one is an edit on both as I understand it.  The clip once entered is in groove clip form, then I might use copy & paste or ctrl drag copy.  After that I've got the following options I can use to delink the 2 clips, but I don't understand them properly:-

1. Bounce to clip
  2. Unlink step sequencer clips
  3. Remove selected clips from groups

I've tried different combinations and eventually got what I wanted, but I don't properly understand them and now I've got the following weirdness:

I have copy and pasted a clip and want to edit it in the step sequencer so I've used both (2) and (3) above.  I have also renamed the clip to prove to myself that it is different to any other clip. I double clicked on the track and brought it up in the step sequencer view.  I press the Play button in the step sequencer but no sounds come out even though I can see all the drum hits being triggered.  In addition the Track view has gone back to the beginning of the track and is playing from there (with no sound).  Also the loop that I had placed around my clip has moved by itself to the first 2 clips that are now playing silently!  Aaahh!!   Please help.

Sonar Platinum x64
Cakewalk UA-25EX
Asus X556UA-DM898T i7-7500U 8GB 1TB, Windows 10 Home
Komplete 11 Ultimate, Kontrol S49, Maschine Jam, Mikro mk2, Arturia V Collection 4

2 Replies Related Threads

lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re: Confused by Clips! 2015/05/22 08:34:40 (permalink)
    No sound - is Battery only running on midi channel 10 maybe - commonly fixed for drums.
    Not all plugins do that destinction though.

Ctrl-drag-n-drop usually link clips as I recall.
    Did you look at recording modes - thinking overwrite, soundonsound and what there is - to plan how to use it.
    post edited by lfm - 2015/05/22 08:41:04

Cubase Pro 9 with SA2015 as backup - W7 i7 2.8GHz 16G GeForce GT 730 - RME HDSP 9632 + AI4S
    SGodfrey
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 268
    Re: Confused by Clips! 2015/05/22 08:41:07 (permalink)
    Battery plays just fine from the track view i.e. using the play button on the transport.

The problem is with the using the Play button in the step sequencer view - no sound and other weirdness as per my original post.

I'm using Comping mode which I believe was the default.

Sonar Platinum x64
    Cakewalk UA-25EX
    Asus X556UA-DM898T i7-7500U 8GB 1TB, Windows 10 Home
    Komplete 11 Ultimate, Kontrol S49, Maschine Jam, Mikro mk2, Arturia V Collection 4
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1