Connecting guitar to computer

Author
David 74
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2007/11/04 22:51:11 (permalink)

Connecting guitar to computer

Hi there, apologies for such a basic question but I am new to Sonar and wanting to get some views on the best way to connect my guitar to my PC. I am considering three options:

- E-MU 0404 USB audio interface, using the USB input on my computer;
- Behringer Ultra-DI DI100 (do you plug this into the mic input on the computer? What cable do you use for this?)
- Behringer VAMP2 (same questions as for Ultra DI)

I am looking for a simple set-up - not going through any amps or a mixing console - basically just to plug the guitar into the computer via something that will will ensure good clean sound and line levels.

I would be interested in any views on this, and any other set ups people are using.

Thanks very much.

4 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Connecting guitar to computer 2007/11/05 03:06:09 (permalink)
    E-MU 0404 USB audio interface, using the USB input on my computer;
    - Behringer Ultra-DI DI100 (do you plug this into the mic input on the computer? What cable do you use for this?)
    - Behringer VAMP2 (same questions as for Ultra DI)

From what you listed the emu is the best bet.

Behringer Ultra-DI DI100 (do you plug this into the mic input on the computer? What cable do you use for this?)

You dont want to do that. you dont want to use the onboard sound card for anything. Its not meant for audio recroding and it has terrible A/D conversions and the drivers stink for them. Thats why the EMU is the best bet. Its an audio sound card thats built for audio recording.
    The V-amp would be good in combination with the EMU. you would use the analog out of the v amp and plug it into the inputs of the emu.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    David 74
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Connecting guitar to computer 2007/11/05 09:17:40 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for that quick reply, that's really useful.

I should have mentioned that I am using a laptop so a PCI card isn't an option, but E-MU has a USB version of the 0404 which I presume does the same thing. So, just to make sure I understand, one option would be to plug the guitar into the Behringer Vamp2 ( http://www.behringer.com/V-AMP2/) and then connecting that to the E-MU USB device ( http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=15185) and run that into the laptop?

I'm also investigating whether the POD xt might provide an all-in-one alternative: http://www.line6.com/podxt/.

Any further thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks again.

mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: Connecting guitar to computer 2007/11/05 11:00:02 (permalink)
    david, it's best to keep your soundcard and guitar modeller separate, althoug the pod xt can do both it's a bit dodgy. lot's of people like the toneport ux2 http://line6.com/toneport/ which comes with guitar modelling capabilities and a very decent mike preamp, this might be ur best all in one solution.

otherwise the v-amp plus ann interface such as the emu 0404/m-audio fasttrack/edirol ua series will be grand. are you on xp or vista? note not all companies have vista drivers out. and if you'rer using a laptop make sure you budget for an externall hdd as most laptop hdd are slow 5400rpm ones.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Connecting guitar to computer 2007/11/05 11:55:26 (permalink)
    Hi there David

I've got to agree with mgh about the Line 6 gear - it's certainly an option worth exploring, the UX2 Toneport has the USB connection you require.

I don't know what sort of music you record but to get an idea of the tone I get from Line 6 stuff, check out a couple of my backing tracks at my Soundclick page.

The guitars in Breaking the Law were recorded using my Line 6 POD2 via the PC line-in socket direct to GT; the guitars and the bass for the 3 'Works in Progress' were recorded using the Toneport UX2 modeller into GT.

Hope you get sorted out whichever way you go David

Good luck

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1