Considering a Big Knob, or something like it. Thoughts?

Author
lazarous
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1461
2008/09/10 13:46:57 (permalink)

Considering a Big Knob, or something like it. Thoughts?

Hey, all! As the subject line states, I'm considering picking up a Mackie Big Knob, or some other central monitoring control solution, and I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts?

Here're the issues I'm trying to solve:

1. Current setup, I have to use two of my analog console Line inputs to monitor my DAW. This means I lose some potential inputs (ok, it's a 24-channel console - it hasn't been an issue... YET! lol), and now and then I've forgotten that the EQ is engaged for some reason.

2. I'd like to use the S/PDIF output on my RME instead of two channels from LightPipe. Right now, I have to flip my AD/DA converters between analog/digital in order to record on channels 23/24. This step would be gone.

3. I'd like to have one central place to reach over and grab a volume knob.

4. I'd like to have the ability to plug my CD player, an iPod, etc., into one unit.

5. It has to be clean/uncolored.

6. It needs to be small, or be rackmountable with a remote.

7. I have a set of JBL LSR6325p's (My Main speakers), a set of KRK Rocket-5's (Boom Box), and a Focal 10" 250 watt sub (only connected with the JBL's right now). I'd like to be able to choose just the JBL's, just the KRK's, or either one with the sub.

So, here are the products I'm looking at currently:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mackie-Big-Knob-Studio-Command-System?sku=700343
- Doesn't have S/PDIF input

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-Central-Station?sku=240213
- This is what I'm leaning towards right now, with a remote.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DBox/
- YIKES! Expensive! And, I don't need analog summing. Well, maybe I do, but I'm not looking for it! LOL

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CControl/
- I've read good things about these, but I've had some issues with Samson quality in the past.
- No S/PDIF input.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MonitorStat/
- No S/PDIF input.
- Includes 4 headphone amps I'm never going to use.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MonitorST/
- Oh, my gosh! This might be just the thing, but... YIKES! $1899?!? It would take quite a while to make back that investment.

There are other options out there, obviously. Thoughts? Opinions? Does anyone have one they've tried above another?

Thanks! I appreciate your input!

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
2Gb DDR2 400
RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
UAD1 4.2
WinXP Pro SP2
Sonar 8.3PE
New Henry and Buster episodes available!

7 Replies Related Threads

j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: Considering a Big Knob, or something like it. Thoughts? 2008/09/10 17:19:59 (permalink)
    I use the Central Station and I'm very happy. It does what it says. Passive signal path (Big Knob has op amps). Racks up nice and easy. I don't use the built-in D/A so I can't help you with that. The headphone amps (2) do the job well and have enough gain. It's well worth the price.

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: Considering a Big Knob, or something like it. Thoughts? 2008/09/10 18:05:55 (permalink)
    Definitely Central Station over Big Knob. It's a fully passive path using relays, so a hard wired connection through the system and a passive attenuator, so nothing to color the sound. I've been using it and it's been working well for me. It also has separate output adjustments per speaker output pair so that you can volume match your monitors (good for A/B comparisons.) The third output can be used to switch in/out a sub for eithe rof the other pairs, I believe, though I've not tried it.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    RE: Considering a Big Knob, or something like it. Thoughts? 2008/09/10 19:10:21 (permalink)
    Well, if you can move around the digital connection and go analog. This is a really great unit http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=25. Passive.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    lazarous
    RE: Considering a Big Knob, or something like it. Thoughts? 2008/09/11 08:01:50 (permalink)
    Middleman: Cute unit... but can only handle two sets of speakers. I'm willing to NOT use the S/PDIF if that makes sense, but this particular suggestion isn't robust enough (not enough inputs/outputs). Thanks for the suggestion!

droddey & j boy: Thanks for mentioning the passive signal path of the Central Station. That pretty much clinches it for me. I hadn't realized it was passive... doh!

So, unless someone else chimes in with another suggestion, it's looking the Central Station is the right toy for me. I appreciate all of the responses!

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    bmdaustin
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1114
    RE: Considering a Big Knob, or something like it. Thoughts? 2008/09/13 22:06:13 (permalink)
    Late to the party, but, +1 for the Central Station. I moved up from an original Mackie 1202 and the difference was substantial. When I first got it hooked up I put on Donald Fagen's "Nightfly" CD. At one point I thought my speakers might be distorting some, but upon closer listening, I was hearing (for the first time ever) a Fender Rhodes part that was way back in the mix. I'm a very happy customer.

Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    http://www.bakersjazzandmore.com
    newfuturevintage
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1848
    RE: Considering a Big Knob, or something like it. Thoughts? 2008/09/14 15:34:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bmdaustin

Late to the party, but, +1 for the Central Station.

+1. If you don't get the remote control, and you use the built-in talkback mic, wire a switch to engage it. On the rackmount unit the talkback button and mic are too close together so there's a pretty substantial 'chunk!' noise when engaging the talkback mic. A remote button or footswitch fixes this. A sustain pedal or any N.O. SPST momentary switch wired to 1/4" works.

My inner child is an angry drunk.
    lazarous
    RE: Considering a Big Knob, or something like it. Thoughts? 2008/09/15 10:14:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: newfuturevintage
    ORIGINAL: bmdaustin
    Late to the party, but, +1 for the Central Station.

+1. If you don't get the remote control, and you use the built-in talkback mic, wire a switch to engage it. On the rackmount unit the talkback button and mic are too close together so there's a pretty substantial 'chunk!' noise when engaging the talkback mic. A remote button or footswitch fixes this. A sustain pedal or any N.O. SPST momentary switch wired to 1/4" works.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks! I appreciate it. After playing with them both side by side, the Central Station wins hands down.

Now to sell some gear to make room for it! LOL

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1