Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II......

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
riffpumpa
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27
2005/06/16 16:08:26 (permalink)

Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II......

...how do you think Cakewalk really envisions both product being used in tandem. If P5 were nothing more than an elegant synth workstation (Hypersonic/XPhraze,etc...even Reason for that matter), then the answer would be obvious. However, because P5 is such a cool full-featured product, the line gets really blurred...at least for me. I can almost imagine being able to use P5 for all of my needs yet I'm reluctant to put Sonar on the shelf just yet. Where best do you see these two products collaborating and complimenting each other? Thx.

39 Replies Related Threads

xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/16 16:24:02 (permalink)
    If you think the line is blurred between P5 and S4, then try to find the line between Nuendo and Cubase SX!

I suppose it depends how you prefer to make music. I can see myself using P5 to come up with the various elements of a song (it is much easier to change between different synths in P5 than in Sonar) and drop different fx onto tracks in P5...plus the arp in P5 craps all over the one in Sonar. Where I can see myself using Sonar is for the arrangement and mixing, as it has the 'arrangement overview', flexible bussing and a mixer. The resizable tracks are also useful, plus Sonar is still the better choice for audio recording.

The above also ignores the ability to soundtrack to movie clips and surround support in Sonar, should you ever need those options.
    gourdjopy
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 540
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/16 16:35:29 (permalink)
    i'm doing some live audio projects that involve rhythm tracks and some synth parts created in p5, converted to wav files, and then played back in sonar so that a bass and guitar player can interact with them on the fly. it is possible, of course, to do live audio and guitar stuff in p5 as that thread andy started indicates, but i agree with xylyx that for standard audio recording of live instruments playing improvised music without loops, sonar is still the better choice in terms of overall convenience. and also, as xylyx said, there's a ton of things you can do quickly in p5 that are just a pain in sonar.
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/16 16:48:05 (permalink)

when P5 v2 came out and some of us were worried about the possibility of holding back of features to P5 so there would be a clear distinction between Sonar and P5, I think it was Brandon who told us we'd be surprised how little this concerns Cakewalk

which was really good to hear, I thought

i think the products are focused but they're both not focused in any sort of limiting way

ecamburn
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1510
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/16 17:23:24 (permalink)
    It seems like one of the biggest remaining differences in the two programs (besides what I would consider to be more production oriented tools like surround mixing and video), is Sonar's mixer and its audio editing capabilities. If these two aspects of P5 were beefed up, I would see the difference between the two apps mainly being a difference in workflows.

Eric
    post edited by ecamburn - 2005/06/16 17:26:01
    gourdjopy
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/16 17:28:10 (permalink)
    i think wrench hit the nail on the head (ha, i said that just to get in all the building references at once). seriously, though, i think that the products are just completely different and happen to be produced by the same company. one is a great audio recorder with an okay sequencer, another is a soft synth work station with a great sequencer. the only people who really puzzle over getting both are probably the small group of folks (like me) who do both live audio and sequenced midi.
    Mike West
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/16 17:34:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: riffpumpa
    ...how do you think Cakewalk really envisions both product being used in tandem. If P5 were nothing more than an elegant synth workstation (Hypersonic/XPhraze,etc...even Reason for that matter), then the answer would be obvious. However, because P5 is such a cool full-featured product, the line gets really blurred...at least for me. I can almost imagine being able to use P5 for all of my needs yet I'm reluctant to put Sonar on the shelf just yet. Where best do you see these two products collaborating and complimenting each other? Thx.

Once you start working with it, you see that P5 makes you want Sonar. In my case, Sonar made me want P5.

A few of the more obvious examples are multitrack recording (Sonar, not P5); multiple outputs (Sonar, not P5); routing multiple output DXis to individual tracks (Sonar, not P5).

Like magic, Sonar solves all these problems for P5 via ReWire.

OTOH, P5's Groove Matrix, Pattern Editor and arrange pane solve all the problems inherent to composition in Sonar. The awkward copy/ paste/ stretch horizontal business is solved in a lively and interesting way, by recording your Groove Matrix into your P5 Arrange Pane. Absolutely Brilliant. You patterns and parts, and then actually performing them, instead of the rather dry (and occasionally tedious) way that Sonar wants you to provide them.

As (in)famously known here on the forum, neither does P5 have "built-in" MIDI out capabilities (though there's ways around this, you'll probably need to make a decision yourself as to whether it's sufficient; witness Grandpa's observations on using V-drums).

If I've missed anything in here, the Gang will surely Let Us Know. But in my view, these are the biggest differentiators.

That you can use all (save for the Lexicon Pantheon) DXis among & between the 2 programs is delicious icing on this cake.

Glorph
    riffpumpa
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/16 20:41:58 (permalink)
    Wow...some great feedback here. Thanks!
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/16 21:19:31 (permalink)

I see myself possibly desiring something in the middle of the two. As SONAR goes toward the 5.1 crowd and possibly even video like Vegas video, they might be moving on and leaving me in their dust. I would love to see a product sort of along the lines of Cakewalk Composer which would be geared toward the song writer. It would take you from soup to nuts in sketching out a tune, getting the arrangement, recording the tracks, publishing the lead sheets and basic charts, with finally mastering and CD burning.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    wrench45us
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/16 21:31:05 (permalink)

ooh, don't forget Sonar has staff notation
    something like that means a lot to a few

and don't forget Sonar 4 has significant audio editing slice/dice/nudge that surely will be migrating to P5

and the big virtual mixing console

i think Mod Bod may be on to something with Sonar evolving more and more to a production tool and P5 evolving toward a composition tool -- which means we might be getting that staff notation view

Mike West
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/16 22:51:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mod Bod
    I see myself possibly desiring something in the middle of the two. As SONAR goes toward the 5.1 crowd and possibly even video like Vegas video, they might be moving on and leaving me in their dust. I would love to see a product sort of along the lines of Cakewalk Composer which would be geared toward the song writer. It would take you from soup to nuts in sketching out a tune, getting the arrangement, recording the tracks, publishing the lead sheets and basic charts, with finally mastering and CD burning.

Dang Dave, you've really taken to this P5 thing I think Mod's on to something. There's a very production-like orientation to Sonar (a good thing) and a very compositional/ experimental edge to P5. These are all Good Things.

& Dave, how ye be?? ... Best, M

Glorph
    b rock
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/16 23:17:31 (permalink)
    that staff notation view
    Dave, I'm really trying to restrain myself, but my resolve is fading ... <g>. I think that you're right as to the general direction that the apps are taking, but adding a staff view to P5 would really dull the edge of the experimental direction for me. Personally, I'd never use it. I can see its value, and there would be many others that would find this very useful, but it's not for me. I respect everyone's opinion on this, and if I'm in the minority, I'll go away quietly.

It's not that I disdain pure theory and practicality. I've spent a lot of years pouring over music history, the rules and the regulations. Now that I have a good feel for them, all I want to do is shatter the mold. To me, a staff notation in Project5 is like having a ceiling mirror mounted over the bed. Sure, I have a good grasp of the reality of the mechanics involved, and I'll have an exact idea of what's going on at all times, but that'll really kill the mood as far as experimentation is concerned.

If we let that one through, it's only a matter of time before an avatar of your significant other pops up on-screen to tell you that you've spent too much consecutive time with the app, and it's time to do the chores. To quote Doom2: "Kill me ... now!"
    wrench45us
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/17 08:23:29 (permalink)

of course there are more avant garde notation systems that P5 could adapt, unfortunately none have the history or acceptance of staff notation
    my friends in a new music ensemble have to interpret all kinds of doodles on the page
    i believe it was General Bill that once he found out that P5 lacked staff notation went humbly back to Sonar

personally when i make notes in my notebook, it's not on staff paper -- it's a pretty standard chord stuff with maybe some indication of what note is low so I know the inversion
    i really have no idea how horn charts are generated these days, but I suspect a chord sheet is enough to get most horn sections started

and that whole mirror on the ceiling analogy -- that's just a reach -- i'd be concened most about the workmanship involved in making sure any such mirror would stay on the ceiling and not come crashing down -- so in that case worry would tend to stifle creativity and likely performance as well. Plus, how many interrogation sessions and lineups have I winessed with those one way mirrors and it's just not a positive association -- again not conducive to creativity.
    post edited by wrench45us - 2005/06/17 08:26:54

dgkenney
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 267
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/17 08:35:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock

To me, a staff notation in Project5 is like having a ceiling mirror mounted over the bed. Sure, I have a good grasp of the reality of the mechanics involved, and I'll have an exact idea of what's going on at all times, but that'll really kill the mood as far as experimentation is concerned.

Not to mention the possibility of getting confused and and moaning your own name. (not sure of the analogy value but it seemed worth a post.)

Dan
    post edited by dgkenney - 2005/06/17 08:39:17
    gourdjopy
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/17 09:57:38 (permalink)
    if we're voting, i personally would love staff notation in p5. that would be an enormous upgrade! modbod (quite the moniker, sir) is right about p5 being an underused tool for songwriting. not that i'm complaining about the product, but what great possibilities some of these suggestions would unlock!
    harmony gardens
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3490
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/17 11:44:15 (permalink)
    Excellent thread!

I would personally like to see a Project 5 Producer Edition which would incorporate all the Audio advantages of Sonar PE with Project 5's MIDI implimentations. I don't like to contradict B Rock, but I definately feel that notation would be a great enhancement. I suppose that one is a little like a metronome. It just nice to have. It may seem like feature bloat to some, but I've used this a lot in Sonar. It's nice to play along with previous tracks with the notation scrolling accross the screen. It can definately save a lot of time charting things.

Here are some features I would like to see enhanced in Project 5. Not nessessarily in order)
    1 Drop down audio input selector on Audio Tracks
    2 Mute tool
    3 A mixer with busses
    4 Track Folders
    5 Mix to CD (some way to just pop a cd in the burner, and send people off with a quick CD of a song as it is at the moment)
    6 POWr dithering
    7 The ability to edit softsynths and plugs without losing control of your transport
    8 Notation
    9 5.1 Surround

Another feature that neither programs have that I would like is an effects chainer. This would allow you to apply a chain of effects in a similar manner as the mute tool. You could for an example, apply EQ to a small section of a track, or apply delay to a small section of a track, quickly and easily. I think if we had that, there would be almost no need to go to Sound Forge for editing.

Ok, I'm a broken record, Project 5 ver 2 is a major improvement over ver 1, but I do still miss a few of the audio features from Sonar.

I could live without video or Surround, I suppose, because I have yet to use either feature in Sonar, but why not offer a hybrid combination of the best features of both programs into one huge platform that does it all??

I agree totally with you guys in saying the lines are blurring, but MIDI features in Sonar seem pretty far behind Project 5. We can see that we no longer need the Synth Rack, or separate audio and MIDI tracks, we find a better MIDI editor, Pattern selection, velocity editing. I thnk overall, Project 5 is closer to what I want than Sonar. I do very few projects that don't include some sort of audio though, and Project 5 is behind Sonar in that.

My 2 cents. (I'm pushing a nickel's worth of good suggestions)

In thinking about it further, perhaps they could have some feature additions that could be add ons. Say, a video expansion, or Surround expansion, or notation expansion, or a mixer ehnancement, and we could choose ale carte which features we would like to enhance Project 5 with. Just a thought, because clearly one person's prized enhancement is another person's feature bloat.

Again, great thread, you guys have me thinking, as always.

xylyx
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/17 12:10:00 (permalink)
    The problem is that if all the features are implemented into P5 that you mention, harmony, then the price of P5 would have to sky rocket, as Sonar would become an all but dead product...really, the ideal solution is to use both programs together. As I have said a few times before, I don't like Rewire and wish Cakewalk would find a neater and more integrated solution to harmonising the two apps.
    Dave Modisette
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/17 12:27:12 (permalink)
    Dang Dave, you've really taken to this P5 thing I think Mod's on to something. There's a very production-like orientation to Sonar (a good thing) and a very compositional/ experimental edge to P5. These are all Good Things.

& Dave, how ye be?? ... Best, M

I'm doin' great. I've been meaning to get with you because I can't upload new music to SONARAMA. I'm getting them dang'd 'ole error messages again.

My music.
    Dave Modisette
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/17 12:31:28 (permalink)
    Dave, I'm really trying to restrain myself, but my resolve is fading ... <g>. I think that you're right as to the general direction that the apps are taking, but adding a staff view to P5 would really dull the edge of the experimental direction for me. Personally, I'd never use it. I can see its value, and there would be many others that would find this very useful, but it's not for me. I respect everyone's opinion on this, and if I'm in the minority, I'll go away quietly.

I'm not looking at a STAFF view for input purposes. I just think it should be enough to print a melody line with chord symbols and lyrics. Just a lead sheet and a chord chart. That way a composer could send that in with his copyright documentation or hand the chord chart to his session guys and give them a fifteen minute headstart on the session.

My music.
    Dave Modisette
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/17 12:51:58 (permalink)
    I agree totally with you guys in saying the lines are blurring, but MIDI features in Sonar seem pretty far behind Project 5. We can see that we no longer need the Synth Rack, or separate audio and MIDI tracks, we find a better MIDI editor, Pattern selection, velocity editing. I thnk overall, Project 5 is closer to what I want than Sonar. I do very few projects that don't include some sort of audio though, and Project 5 is behind Sonar in that.

There are some hard-shelled SONARITES that feverishly cling to the Synth Rack. You'd have a better chance of prying the Smith and Wesson from Charleton Heston's hand. I just don't get it. P5's implementation of softsynths with a few tweaks would be a much better implementation of folder tracks and the synth rack. The only thing lacking is a way to rout a layers output to an aux or drop an effect only on one layer. i.e. If I want my DR-008's output 2 of 8 (snare) to have reverb and not my kick (output 1 of 8).

My music.
    Dave Modisette
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/17 13:00:04 (permalink)
    The problem is that if all the features are implemented into P5 that you mention, harmony, then the price of P5 would have to sky rocket, as Sonar would become an all but dead product...really, the ideal solution is to use both programs together. As I have said a few times before, I don't like Rewire and wish Cakewalk would find a neater and more integrated solution to harmonising the two apps.

I've only used Rewire since I got P5V2 and I don't like it either. They easiest and maybe best way to integrate and harmonize the two would be to simply allow drag and drop both directions.

My music.
    Kegerator
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/17 13:11:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: harmony gardens

Track Folders

of course from the obvious Track folders and audio editing is what I find P5 to be lacking from Sonar. Having said that the one thing that makes me use P5 is the simplicity of software. If Cakewalk starts adding on all these other things than we lose (What I think anyways) the whole idea behind P5, and that is to be used like an instrument first, Music software second.

Just my 2 cents

Beer is the cause and solution to all of life's problem's

wrench45us
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/17 13:21:26 (permalink)
    I've only used Rewire since I got P5V2 and I don't like it either. They easiest and maybe best way to integrate and harmonize the two would be to simply allow drag and drop both directions.

with P5 v2.1 or 2.01 or whatever it is having 'bounce to track', this would seem to be close, maybe already here for all I know of dragging an audio track from P5 to Sonar, even if one has to dig in the audio folder to find the file in Explorer rather than dragging from the UI.

i never liked Rewire either, but with ever greater ease in generating audio files in P5 maybe it's time to revisit the idea of mixing in Sonar. I might learn a thing or two.

ucacjbs
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 866
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/17 13:34:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mod Bod

The only thing lacking is a way to rout a layers output to an aux or drop an effect only on one layer. i.e. If I want my DR-008's output 2 of 8 (snare) to have reverb and not my kick (output 1 of 8).

Hello,

If I understand what you're saying, then this can be done in P5. Each output of a multi-out synth has its own audio track to which you can assign separate effects, separate aux send levels, and separate gain, pan and width settings. I'm not in front of P5 right now, so a little bit of memory recall is required (never a good thing for me), but here goes.

Take a look at the picture here (it's a link to one of the screenshots from Cakewalk's P5 product pages. You'll see on the nPulse, DS864 and Velocity tracks that, next to the gain slider, is a small square with a number in it; this number indicates which output of the synth is currently controlled by the gain, pan, width mute and solo controls in the track pane. If you left-click and hold over this number and then drag up and down, you can switch between the various outputs of the synth. You'll notice that when you do this, the track inspector (that houses all your effects chains etc) on the left of the screen will change for each output. So, for your example above, select output #2 and add a reverb to the effects section of the track inspector, and you're all set.

Hope that helps (and that I didn't get completely the wrong end of the stick!)

ben
    Dave Modisette
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/17 13:34:53 (permalink)
    with P5 v2.1 or 2.01 or whatever it is having 'bounce to track', this would seem to be close, maybe already here for all I know of dragging an audio track from P5 to Sonar, even if one has to dig in the audio folder to find the file in Explorer rather than dragging from the UI.

I know there are several work arounds available to me. I think it is possibly a Windows limitation as soft synth tracks don't really exist like an audio track exists. So to drag a P5 track to SONAR the program has to recogonise (sp) what you are asking it to do and determine if the clip or track is an audio track or a soft synth track. Then if it is a soft synth track it basically has to bounce the track to audio and let you drag the new audio clip to SONAR. All this takes time so I imagine the wait the user would experience could be confusing and interpreted as a hang or crash.

My music.
    riffpumpa
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/17 13:58:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: harmony gardens

In thinking about it further, perhaps they could have some feature additions that could be add ons. Say, a video expansion, or Surround expansion, or notation expansion, or a mixer ehnancement, and we could choose ale carte which features we would like to enhance Project 5 with. Just a thought, because clearly one person's prized enhancement is another person's feature bloat.

Again, great thread, you guys have me thinking, as always.

You know, your last paragraph there really nails it imo. What would be massively cool and an incredible product would be if Cakewalk offered an object based DAW application that provides a baseline core (bus, mixer, tracker) and allows you to purchase modularized features ala carte to build your ideal setup by simply pluging the objects you want into the baseline. Like Tinker-Toys so to speak. You could then really have the best of both worlds and build a hybrid of Sonar & P5. Cakewalk wins either way you look at it. If you're more of an audio guy but want some rudimentary synth and midi capabilities, no problemo. Just a thought.
    post edited by riffpumpa - 2005/06/17 14:05:37
    xylyx
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/17 14:48:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wrench45us

i never liked Rewire either, but with ever greater ease in generating audio files in P5 maybe it's time to revisit the idea of mixing in Sonar. I might learn a thing or two.

Or maybe they could just do what I suggested a while back and make it possible to use P5 as a DXi (a la FLStudio) within Sonar...
    dgkenney
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 267
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/17 14:54:38 (permalink)
    Well I've made my desires known on other threads. My biggie is the audio editing in P5V2. Even if it just worked like the midi pattern editor in P5V2 I would be happy.

I get nervous when a program tries to be everything to everybody. It gets bloated, convoluted and expensive. I think midi out and export to midi would solve a lot of problems as would "drag'n'drop" as others have suggested.

But..here's my question. Seems like at least a couple of you are down on rewire. How come? I never used rewire until I got P5V2. I'm loving it It works flawlessly on my P4 2.8 with 1 gig memory and allows me the "best of breed" in midi and audio composition tools. P5V2 for midi and Live/Sonar/Cubase for audio/mixing/mastering.

So how come you, (my esteemed colleagues ) don't care for it?

Dan
    xylyx
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/17 15:37:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dgkenney

But..here's my question. Seems like at least a couple of you are down on rewire. How come?

It's hard to express why I don't like it. Part of it is that it was really developed as a workaround way of linking up Rebirth with Cubase years ago. VST, DX and AU are much better ways of using synths/fx within various sequencers and Rewire just seems clunky and dated by comparison. In the end, Rewire was just an audio version of MidiYoke...I just feel as if I am working with two apps that are tethered together with Rewire. I would probably have slightly less problem with Rewire if it at least allowed the host app make the slave open the appropriate file that is associated with the project; it's ridiculous that a host can save and restore all the appropriate parameter settings from all the DX/VST plugins in a song, yet it can't even save/restore the song file in the slave...

Mike West
    RE: Considering the feature overlap between Sonar4 & P5-II...... 2005/06/17 15:43:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: xylyx
    I would probably have slightly less problem with Rewire if it at least allowed the host app make the slave open the appropriate file that is associated with the project

BINGO

Glorph
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1