Constant hiss sound while recording, and on recording

Author
ryhad15
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2010/01/19 04:32:25 (permalink)

Constant hiss sound while recording, and on recording

Hey so I am new to recording, i have Sonar Home studio 7. an alesis multi-mix 8 USB, a hp pavillion DV6 series lap top with core duo and all that stuff.

When I record, there is a constant hiss coming through from the mixer and onto the recordings. I turned down the gain on it, downed the main mix and levels, aux returns for effects, and turned on the HPF switch, messed with latencys on the program itself, and it still sounds through.

No matter what I do I cannot get it to go away, its not a problem if im recording heavy rock or metal with drums, but when doing just clean vocals, and clean guitar, i hear the static hiss sound all too well. No matter how much EQ'ing i do, i cannot get rid of it.

Can anyone please help with any advice for me at all?
The mixer is plugged straight into my PCs USB port, and im recording my guitar and vocals with a Shure SM-57, and a regular XLR cable, and no the phantom power is not on.

Ive tried other mics, and get the same hiss with each one.

Please help me!

6 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Constant hiss sound while recording, and on recording 2010/01/19 06:15:20 (permalink)
    Now it's important to define "hiss".

If it's really hiss, it's hard to guess what could be the cause. I guess it to be equipment based, but also mic recordings of too low level  often include hiss. I wonder if trying some mic pre amp could share light on this?

I haven't used the equipment you have, but make also sure that the level settings are made in the mixer/soundcard. If you have a very low input level in the soundcard which you're compensating with high output level in SONAR the result can in some cases be hissy (uh..or was the opposite way..?).

If the disturbing sound is humming, it could be a ground loop or a loose chord that is plugged only on one end. There are small "power plugs" made to eliminate ground loops. Also taking all power from the same (ungrounded) wall socket can help to get rid of humming (if the wall sockets in the room are not grounded ones).

Well...you'll get better answers from someone else

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Constant hiss sound while recording, and on recording 2010/01/19 08:13:52 (permalink)
    as kalle says, "hiss" could be a lot of things.  how about posting a clip of it for us to listen to and maybe we can help determine what's going on.

also, list what you're using in your project.  does this happen with ALL projects using the alesis?  are you using a normal template with a guitar FX in the FX bin?  have you tried bypassing the FX bin/turning off the amp sim FX?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    ryhad15
    Re:Constant hiss sound while recording, and on recording 2010/01/20 01:37:04 (permalink)
    Allright so the hiss can be heard here: www.myspace.com/ryanshomestudio

theres a track on there where in the beginning, and all throughout the short track, the audible hissing can be heard.
    Its a drum track, and yet the hissing is still audible.

And my mixer has its own mic preamps.
    The hissing occurs whether I have mics plugged in or not however, even if i plug in the direct out from my guitar amp, into the line in on any of the channels.

Someone told me to try grounding the mixer to my laptop by touching a metal wire between the two chassis.

maybe that will work? this problem has me flustered.

I even have everything plugged into a furman power conditioner too.

TAZ
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:Constant hiss sound while recording, and on recording 2010/01/20 02:01:38 (permalink)
    man I hear it well. have you tried one of those surge protectors that is suppose to eliminate line noise.
    I have read using multiple pieces of equipment from the same power source can sometimes cause this. also, it may just be where you live. so many variables.

Is there any equipment you use that doesn't have this noise?
    ryhad15
    Re:Constant hiss sound while recording, and on recording 2010/01/20 02:29:32 (permalink)
    My furman power conditioner is a surger protector as well. and ive tried plugging the different pieces of gear into different outlets, to no avail.

The mixer is the only thing causing the noise. i can plug in a regular mic to my computers mic  input, and no hiss. Same with the onboard mics on either side of the webcam built in to my computer.

Even if it was just where I live, the furman would squash any unwanted noise from dirty AC lines or anything like that. So i think the only thing I can do is just return the mixer and exchange for a new one and hope that works i guess.
    TAZ
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:Constant hiss sound while recording, and on recording 2010/01/20 02:44:10 (permalink)
    read some of the reviews on that mixer at zzounds. looks like you're not the only one with those noise problem. I have used a Presonus FP10 and recorded 8 simultaneous drum tracks that (for the reasonable price of the interface) came out pretty darn clean. It is firewire though. not sure if you have to go the USB route with you're set-up.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1