Control of legacy Activation Server

Author
dstirup
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2018/04/15 23:11:44 (permalink)

Control of legacy Activation Server

OK, I know this is sort of a rehash but I pose a question to BandLab / Meng.

First off thank, you so much BandLab team and Meng etc. for recovering SPLAT.  I don't care if you guy's are thanked 10,000+ times.

My question is that when BandLab bought the IP off Gibson, why was not control / ownership of the software activation system also transferred?   It is not like any work had to be done to the server, just that the system needed to go with where the IP went to maintain service for legacy users.  I assume the system is hosted in a data center so I also assume that as long as BandLab paid the hosting bill, got the system passwords and had control of the domain name space it should have been and easy stress free process for all.

Overall the only operational need is that the bundled legacy 3rd party addon's have a method of being activated to work in the future CdB ecosphere. Most of us have invested a ton of time, resources and creativity in projects that cannot be re-engineered, ever!  So my desire is to maintain the ability to recreate the technical infrastructure needed to revisit older projects.

Most of peoples fear dumps on here revolve around the activation server being turned off especially as Gibson seem in a financially precarious position and may possibly close their doors forever.  Having them in control of the activation server at the moment is what makes me quite concerned.  I do not wish for them to die as we will lose such a core piece of Industry heritage but we do have to be realistic about their near term future.

So to recap and put it simply, cannot BandLab get control and ownership of the Activation system?

6 Replies Related Threads

abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Control of legacy Activation Server 2018/04/15 23:18:30 (permalink)
    I think they got the servers.  Where did you get the info that they didn't?

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    dstirup
    Re: Control of legacy Activation Server 2018/04/15 23:41:34 (permalink)
    Whilst reading all the posts here to catch up on recent events, whenever the servers are talked about, it has always seemed the way it is talked about that Gibson has control.  I have not read anywhere that BandLab has control hence my question about why not.

Buying Intellectual property is just that, the source code.  Maybe you get the infrastructure documentation to make sense of it to an extent.  Seldom with such a purchase do you get physical servers as part of an IP purchase.  I am in the IT industry and have seen a bit of this go on.

If BandLab has control and ownership then Yahoo PTL!  - I would not be particularly concerned or fearful about being able to recreate a legacy setup.  I would also be very thankful that some real forethought went into the acquisition and have further cause to praise BandLab.
    post edited by dstirup - 2018/04/16 00:08:45
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Control of legacy Activation Server 2018/04/15 23:44:27 (permalink)
    They bought the IP and the assets, which included the servers.  Details are in other posts.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    35mm
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1105
    Re: Control of legacy Activation Server 2018/04/15 23:52:16 (permalink)
    Bandlab took over the IP and some assets of Cakewalk Inc. I imagine they have full access to the activation server unless anyone has heard to the contrary? Bandlab did not take on the liability previously associated with Cakewalk Inc. I imagine we will get access to our Cakewalk Inc. purchased products soon, but there is probably some legal work that has to be done first in order to transfer the old customer interests without Bandlab being liable for them, as well as developing an online store, customer transaction database, payment gateway and migrating all the data to a new system that can activate legacy products to existing customers or sell them to new customers.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
    dstirup
    Re: Control of legacy Activation Server 2018/04/15 23:57:31 (permalink)
    Cool.  Excellent.

So why are there so many posts by people scared about not being able to activate their X and SPLAT legacy apps?  It is trivial then to just leave the server running forever.  If it is a physical box then migrate it to a virtual system and almost forget about it.  End of fears and stress outs.

I am just trying to put the issue in plain sight so I can understand where we are at rather than it being buried in other threads or implied meanings.  Maybe I am just getting old but I could not find a specific thread on the matter and believe it needs to be clearly spelled out so it is fully understood.
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Control of legacy Activation Server 2018/04/16 00:39:22 (permalink)
    Because they are paranoid. And they just don't seem to "get it" even though the facts are printed clearly. 
    This is why I have requested a Sticky thread with a facts list. A one stop resource for so we won't see threads like this one over and over. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1